Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

What Is The Different Between Ntfs, Fat And Fat32 Os, Format - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / What Is The Different Between Ntfs, Fat And Fat32 Os, Format (2552 Views)

How To Format 500GB External Hard Disk Drive To FAT32 / How To CHanging Over Fat32 To Ntfs / Free Proxy List, Web Proxy List, Socks List Download Them As Raw Text Format. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Different Between Ntfs, Fat And Fat32 Os, Format by scantee(m): 3:56pm On Jul 19, 2008
please can someone tell me the different between, ntfs, fat and fat32 (os,) file format
Re: What Is The Different Between Ntfs, Fat And Fat32 Os, Format by ataroken: 8:25pm On Jul 19, 2008
hey gee,
NTFS means New Technology File System
FAT or FAT16 means File Allocation Table. both 16 and 32 represent the number of bits.
Although all 3 are file systems used for formating partitions of a disk drive, NTFS has some security
features like file encryption,compression and quota management that make it more relevant than the others. NTFS is mainly used if you want to install windows xp and windows 2000 operating systems.
FAT (both) on the other hand predates NTFS. It is supported by windows , mac and linux operating systems. it is accssable from DOS. its advantage over NFTS is that, it maintain compatibility between operating systems .

Formatting is the act of preparing a drive before installation of operating system. it is like sweeping a new appartment, before packing in.
I HOPE THIS WILL answer your question

kenneth
Re: What Is The Different Between Ntfs, Fat And Fat32 Os, Format by DualCore1: 8:37pm On Jul 19, 2008
ataroken has summarized it well, any for info u need, >>> www.google.com
Re: What Is The Different Between Ntfs, Fat And Fat32 Os, Format by scantee(m): 10:07am On Jul 21, 2008
@ ATAROKEN

GOD BLESS YOU, YOU ARE TOO MUCH.
I NEED YOUR MAIL ADDRESS PLZ.

@DUAL CORE

THANK YOU FOR YOUR IMMEDIATE RESPONSES TO MY THREADS
Re: What Is The Different Between Ntfs, Fat And Fat32 Os, Format by ataroken: 6:30pm On Jul 22, 2008
thanx scantee,
my e-mail is ataroken@yahoo.com
Re: What Is The Different Between Ntfs, Fat And Fat32 Os, Format by scantee(m): 11:42am On Jul 23, 2008
@ataroken

ok i will send more questions to you email address to solve for me.

regards
Re: What Is The Different Between Ntfs, Fat And Fat32 Os, Format by ExInferis(m): 6:26pm On Jul 25, 2008
nice work ataroken wink

for extra geek info,

we also have ext (1,2,3 is journaled), Vfat and ReiserFS used by Linux and some varients of BSD. Ext stands for Extended undecided
ext3 and Reiser log metadata changes to the file structure, hence "journaled".

before all that there was OCFS, for Oracle Cluster File System.

Apple's Mac OS X uses HFS+, or Hierarchical File System plus

NTFS is in the process of being phased out, to be replaced by WinFS, which stands for windows Future Storage.

WinFS was slated to be in Vista, but sadly its been shipped to appear in codename:Windows 7.

cool

non-related info:

Windows uses BIOS (Basic Input Output System) , Apple's OS X uses EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface).

and that is why OS X doesnt work on Intel Machines without modification/hacks.

*get your geek on*

cool cool cool
Re: What Is The Different Between Ntfs, Fat And Fat32 Os, Format by scantee(m): 7:12pm On Jul 26, 2008
@ex infat
Guy i like your way.

do you know one funny thing in my side.
i have never used another OS except Windos and Dos

i will like you tell me more on how other OS works.

thanks a lot
Re: What Is The Different Between Ntfs, Fat And Fat32 Os, Format by ExInferis(m): 7:43pm On Jul 26, 2008
@scantee

every OS works much like any OS these days: you click icons, copy and paste stuff, create and modify folders, play games/movies/music and you browse.

but thats the general, broad aspect. every OS too has certain peculiarities that can qualify as either a Pro or a Con:

windows dominates by virtue of being everywhere so chances are nine out of ten people use it. it therefore has a bigger program library. but it is poor on security, terrible on networking, easy to hack, and expensive.

linux is free (a few are paid for), is better secured, great at networking (although a bit fiddly to configure), does everything windows does, and has tons of free programs. however you need to have an internet connection to download said programs.

OS X is even rarer to find. this is because the machines that run it are terribly expensive (though you can buy a Macbook with core 2 duo, 2 gigs ram, superdrive, airport, over 250 gigs HD, Apple remote, and Multitouch trackpad for around $1,024 dollars at the Macmall). however the benefit of a Mac machine is you can dual-boot Vista and run Xp or Linux on Parallels or VMware virtual machine so you have the best of all worlds. OS X is very easy to use, hardly crashes, has superior sound and graphics, superfast, and very high tech. however apps are not readily available but a preinstalled copy on a new machine comes with almost everything you need preinstalled: iLife, iWork, Front Row media center, boot camp etc.

i use all three OS's, but my personal preference is OS X followed by Linux.

windows Vista is OK, but its just toio buggy sometimes and crashes a lot or drops my wireless connection for no reason
Re: What Is The Different Between Ntfs, Fat And Fat32 Os, Format by showman: 4:35pm On Jul 28, 2008
Hi There Ex Inferis.i think youre a cool guy.can i have you addy so i can mail you?. you god at networking aswell? pls i need crimping information.i need the two crimping standard.think you can help?It'll be highly appreciated.
Re: What Is The Different Between Ntfs, Fat And Fat32 Os, Format by ExInferis(m): 5:05pm On Jul 28, 2008
depends on whetehre you want a straight-through or crossover cable type. whatever the case, read this.:

http://surisdigitalworld..com/2008/07/how-to-make-network-cable.html
Re: What Is The Different Between Ntfs, Fat And Fat32 Os, Format by scantee(m): 5:14pm On Jul 31, 2008
@ex-inferis
my man add me to your yahoo id so that we can chat and talk more yahoo id is (scanteebest)

your really good in IT

(1) (Reply)

Computer Keyboard And Mouse Price In Nigeria / ✈✳✅clean Grade A USA Used Lenovo LAPTOPS Thinkpad & Ideapad Core I7 & I5 / Windows 7 Maximum Number Of Programs Is Already Open

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.