Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,937 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:09 AM

How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) (27019 Views)

Is Transcorp Hotel IPO Worth Buying? Honest Opinion Pls / Bought Transcorp Shares With My School Fees: Mistake? / Transcorp Po Finally Opens At 7.50! Opinions? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by Nobody: 11:51pm On Nov 21, 2013
It’s just paper gains, but it counts. Nigerian banker Tony O. Elumelu has become at least $123 million richer between November 1 and November 21 as shares of Transcorp PLC, a Nigerian-Stock Exchange-listed conglomerate, surged 186% in that period.

Transnational Corporation Of Nigeria, usually referred to as Transcorp, is an emerging conglomerate holding investments in hotels, power and agriculture. On November 1, the company’s stock was trading at N1.87 ($0.01), and at the close of trading today (Thursday), the stock was trading at N5.35 ($5.35). According to an analyst who did not want to be quoted, there has been an unprecedented demand for Transcorp’s shares at the bourse on account of the company’s recent acquisition of the Ughelli Power plant, a strategic power generation company that the government recently sold in a privatization exercise. Transcorp PLC, under Elumelu’s leadership, acquired the plant for $300 million. Transcorp officially took over the plant on November 1. Investors are scrambling for the stock in anticipation of the long-term impact the new acquisition will likely have on Transcorp’s financial results.

Elumelu began gobbling up shares in the company in April 2011 through his wholly-owned proprietary investment vehicle, Heirs Holdings. In September 2011, he was appointed chairman of the company, promising to diversify the company’s business interests and deliver value to shareholders – promises he seems to have delivered on. He currently owns over 5.7 billion shares of the company (5,745,890,693 to be exact, according to Transcorp’s latest corporate filings), held in his own name and via Heirs Holdings, equating to a 22.26% stake, making him the company’s largest individual shareholder. His shares in Transcorp alone are now valued at N30.7 billion or $188 million. A representative for Elumelu could not be reached for comment at press time.

Elumelu made his fortune by acquiring a small, struggling Nigerian commercial bank and building it into the United Bank of Africa Group, a leading financial services institution with operations in several African countries as well as in New York and London. He stepped down as the bank’s CEO in 2010 to focus on investing in African businesses through his private investment vehicle, Heirs Holdings and to groom Africa’s next generation of business leaders through his Tony Elumelu Foundation.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongnsehe/2013/11/21/nigerian-mogul-tony-elumelu-makes-123-million-in-3-weeks/?utm_campaign=nairaland&utm_source=nairaland&utm_medium=social

I and my friends share money related news and tips on www.gidilink..com

Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by henrimoto(m): 7:00am On Nov 22, 2013
This is a perfect story of 'when there is life, there is hope'! the day i knew that tony elumelu had taken over transcope, i know there's bound to be an uprise on the share price of transcorp. Congratulations! to the smart investors that are already smiling to the bank. lolzzzz
Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by Nobody: 7:16am On Nov 22, 2013
adezjamz: So?
Be inspired.

henrimoto: This is a perfect story of 'when there is life, there is hope'! the day i knew that tony elumelu had taken over transcope, i know there's bound to be an uprise on the share price of transcorp. Congratulations! to the smart investors that are already smiling to the bank. lolzzzz
Most Nigerians don't like investing for the long term. Those who persevere will surely smile.
Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by jfkenny(m): 3:11pm On Nov 22, 2013
see cash.

1 Like

Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by Okijajuju1(m): 3:13pm On Nov 22, 2013
hmmmmm
Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by Lilimax(f): 3:13pm On Nov 22, 2013
protegesol:
Elumelu made his fortune by acquiring a small, struggling Nigerian commercial bank and building it into the United Bank of Africa Group, a leading financial services institution with operations in several African countries as well as in New York and London.
It takes a man with wisdom to take this step undecided.

God, impact me with such wisdom from above.
I will never despise the days of little beginning... smiley

13 Likes

Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by wellmax(m): 3:13pm On Nov 22, 2013
Good for him. I hope one day I'll join this class of Nigerians.
Making money legally.

5 Likes

Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by Venerable612(m): 3:14pm On Nov 22, 2013
Divine blessing...#My testimony is comin soon#

1 Like

Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by Fadelex(m): 3:14pm On Nov 22, 2013
he's being used to front... we all knows obasanjo has d largest share in transcorp. how on earth do u wanna tell people not to steal? when u see our future looted by few people u cannot help but lose hope. everything in Nigeria has been privatized by our useless leaders education, power, telecom, transport, industry and so on. I give up

3 Likes

Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by Adesam09(m): 3:14pm On Nov 22, 2013
I don hear oo... Next post pls
Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by jaybee3(m): 3:15pm On Nov 22, 2013
Insider info

Nothing more than that

3 Likes

Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by Lionbite(m): 3:16pm On Nov 22, 2013
All i know is that SURU LERE

2 Likes

Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by pmc01(m): 3:17pm On Nov 22, 2013
Ok o. Thanks for the info.

If I invest my tuition fees of next session, will I get enough returns before ASUU does the needful?

Thanks in anticipation of your kind answer.
Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by Nobody: 3:18pm On Nov 22, 2013
The rich are getting richer and the poor getting poorer.

1 Like

Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by unmask: 3:20pm On Nov 22, 2013
smart investment
Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by deflover(m): 3:20pm On Nov 22, 2013
na devil go soda their yansh .........from dangote to indi okereke to all of dem......dey sold us a lie....i bought 68,000 unit for 512,000 naira at 7naira 50 kobo and it was quoted at 9naira seventy-one kobo but wat happened it nose dived to 50kobo even wen i wanted out they refuse to dematerialize till i was able to get out at 1naira 40 kobo now they are pumping it again to fool people so later they will dump it....dont be fooled....one thing they have is control....you as an investor dont have control over the shares.....i am now a skilled investor and i will neva touch nigerian stocks again.....if its not online trading i wont touch it angry angry angry angry angry

10 Likes

Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by pekelepekele(m): 3:21pm On Nov 22, 2013
wellmax: Good for him. I hope one day I'll join this class of Nigerians.
Making money legally

Na yahoo yahoo abi nah kidnapping you dey do grin
Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by tolu4you: 3:21pm On Nov 22, 2013
nice one
Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by 52Naira(m): 3:22pm On Nov 22, 2013
this is what is called "foresight" and hardwork.
Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by oluking: 3:23pm On Nov 22, 2013
ok, emm i don hear ,what next!!! angry angry
Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by Nobody: 3:24pm On Nov 22, 2013
Nice one,but let him take the money with him when he dies....make e use am enta heaven na
Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by IAMBREEZY: 3:24pm On Nov 22, 2013
WoWshocked
Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by BabaAlabi: 3:25pm On Nov 22, 2013
$123 million in one week.....A university certificate is almost useless at this point. By the way how can I invest in Nairaland shares?

1 Like

Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by shakaz(m): 3:26pm On Nov 22, 2013
Money speaking.
Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by rozayx5(m): 3:29pm On Nov 22, 2013
ymcmb belee. dat. cool
Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by rozayx5(m): 3:29pm On Nov 22, 2013
Taylor184: Nice one,but let him take the money with him when he dies....make e use am enta heaven na
hater undecided
Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by deflover(m): 3:30pm On Nov 22, 2013
dont be fooled my people in investing its called pump and dump.........its a legal way to steal your money.....they take it up and later cash in once your money is in and re-buy it again wen it has dropped ............one question u should ask is wat is transcorp offering apart from d transcorp hiton hotel wey i dey spend my money too on wen i go there....they have no investment ....dey tell u dey are into agriculture, real estate, oil and gas dat dey have lost d oil blocks wen yaradua became president..........so tell me wat are dey into other than to manipulate stocks.....when you understand the game u will see clear......wats the P.E ratio of the stock....let me let u knw dat P.E ration mins d debt:equity of a stock .......meaning how much do they owe d bank and how much asset do they have.....wateva it is if its above 2 it means it will take u 2yrs to double ur money......i am smarter in this game even if i have lost a fortune......i tell u cos i dont want any of u to go tru wat i went tru...... sad sad sad angry angry angry

7 Likes

Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by adezjamz(m): 3:32pm On Nov 22, 2013
Taylor184: Nice one,but let him take the money with him when he dies....make e use am enta heaven na
U̶̲̥̅̊ D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ beef am? Me wey 1st ask "so?" B4 sef don D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ feel sorry. Abeg mr businessman, show me d way jare cool

1 Like

Re: How Tony Elumelu Made $123 Million In 3 Weeks (Transcorp Shares) by Nobody: 3:33pm On Nov 22, 2013
From Standard trust to UBA to Transcorp grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

China To Invest $250 Million On Ibadan Dry Port (photo) / I Am About To Lose My Dad's Contributory Pension, Bankers/Lawyers Help! / Digital Investment Limited Crashes In Lagos After Duping People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.