Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,782 members, 7,810,043 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:12 PM

Airtel Has Began Auto Subscribing Users To Shortcode Services - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Airtel Has Began Auto Subscribing Users To Shortcode Services (8138 Views)

Airtel Has Introduced N100 For 1GB Weekend Data Plan / Good News! Airtel Has Introduced #100 For 1gb Weekend Data Plan / Airtel Has Launched Internet Plans For Android Users (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Airtel Has Began Auto Subscribing Users To Shortcode Services by slightlyMad(f): 8:27am On Nov 22, 2013
Hello airtel users,
Please confirm that you got an sms saying

Thanks for recharging. You will now receive 7 free days of JUNK on airtel Red Hot Promo.
To stop service, send STOP RHJUNK to 38296. Enjoy the service

the "7 free days" part got me thinking, what happens after the 7th day.
will i be billed for the service if i fail to send STOP to the shortcode number

so i took the pain to call their customer service and my guess was good.
The guy told me i will be billed after 7 days(an amount that was not mentioned)

I think this is dubious as such billings are never refunded.
when i asked why i have to be auto subscribed, his response was that someone may have auto subscribed me to the service.
thats lame because the text itself says "Thanks for recharging" meaning thats the criteria for the subscription, and i never subscribe to junks+ no one dare touch my phone because it is passworded.

So i took the pain to send the STOP RHEPL to 38296 which was for EPL update
second day, i got another one, but this time EUFA, again, i unsubscribed
and next, it was RED HOT businessnews

Please why is NCC allowing these companies to rip Nigerians off.
imagine the millions of subscribers that will ignore this message only to be billed after the 7th day.

I have made up my miind that i will no longer continue sending lame unsubscribe SMS,
I wait for them to just bill me and i will Gladly PORT. I dont care the stress involved. I will for real.

Please confirm if you get same message.
Re: Airtel Has Began Auto Subscribing Users To Shortcode Services by Nobody: 9:06am On Nov 22, 2013
both etisalat and mtn have done same to me.. i recieved a flash sms and didnt cared to read d content but ok and cancel wia amongst the options on my fone screen.. in a haste to get rid of the message clicking ok.. hundred naira was deducted.. and dey continued deducting on a weekly bases. i had to call customer care to deactivate the service over the air
Re: Airtel Has Began Auto Subscribing Users To Shortcode Services by slightlyMad(f): 9:15am On Nov 22, 2013
the ugly part is that when you are billed, one seems to resign to fate that "well, the deed has been done, i'll unsub when am less busy"
then you forget and only to be reminded by another billing.

i guess that leaves Glo as a PORTable network.
Re: Airtel Has Began Auto Subscribing Users To Shortcode Services by Dabss(m): 12:51pm On Nov 22, 2013
slightlyMad: the ugly part is that when you are billed, one seems to resign to fate that "well, the deed has been done, i'll unsub when am less busy"
then you forget and only to be reminded by another billing.

i guess that leaves Glo as a PORTable network.
don't be in a hurry to port to glo sis. At least mtn and Airtel customer care will attend to ur problems. Glo customer care staff will always pretend that they can't hear you until you hang up out of frustration.
Re: Airtel Has Began Auto Subscribing Users To Shortcode Services by Nobody: 12:54pm On Nov 22, 2013
They can't try that shît with me angry
Re: Airtel Has Began Auto Subscribing Users To Shortcode Services by Acidosis(m): 12:57pm On Nov 22, 2013
fabulousfortune: They can't try that shît with me angry

same here...

Else, I'll engage 50 idle customer care reps/hour..

Thanks to auto re-dial & phcn

The stress I'll make them pass through would be far greater than the amount stolen from my airtime..

Next time when they see my Number on their screen, they'll remember to either "unmark" or make use of ESC key.
cool
Re: Airtel Has Began Auto Subscribing Users To Shortcode Services by Nobody: 1:19pm On Nov 22, 2013
Acidosis:

same here...

Else, I'll engage 50 idle customer care reps/hour..

Thanks to auto re-dial & phcn

The stress I'll make them pass through would be far greater than the amount stolen from my airtime..

Next time when they see my Number on their screen, they'll remember to either "unmark" or make use of ESC key.
cool
grin
Re: Airtel Has Began Auto Subscribing Users To Shortcode Services by ninja4life(m): 6:59am On Nov 28, 2013
Just like on my mums etisalat sim those guys keep sending their useless message which my mum didnt subscribe to which costed my mum #100 i hav to call d customer care dats wen dey unsubcribed it.d same thing happend to me those idiots told me to subscribe to football matches update i simply ignored it then dey began sending me the football fixtures which i didnt subscribe for i hav to send stop to d service but dey continued sending me those useless message its in my 2nd tyme dat dey unsubcribe me.dis trend is not good most especially people who arent english literate will fall for deir cheap scam as dey wont be able to read d message
Re: Airtel Has Began Auto Subscribing Users To Shortcode Services by trigar12(m): 7:03am On Nov 28, 2013
Airtel is always deducting 20naira everyday all in d name of using Airtel Game Club which av not used b4......xo annoying
Re: Airtel Has Began Auto Subscribing Users To Shortcode Services by SpartanMan: 11:00am On May 14, 2015
I think everyone should just, complain to NCC directly at same period, on their fb page, email. twitter. so they ll know how these telecoms
are defrauding we Nigerians
Re: Airtel Has Began Auto Subscribing Users To Shortcode Services by shedrachwa(m): 11:48am On May 14, 2015
I experienced d same thing, I was billed for what I didn't subscribed to,
I called MTN customer care and I was told it comes with mtn I pulse package, once u migrate, u will be given a 7 day free trial, then u will be billed afterwards,
that's stealing by trick

(1) (Reply)

New Configuration Of Opera Mini 4.2 & 5.2 Is Out. / My Experience With Tecno Carlcare On Phone Swap. / Some Best Offline Football Games on Android 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.