Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,211 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:24 AM

Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! (9024 Views)

The Spiritual Side Of Job Search / Funny - You Guy Gotta See This - Graduate Makes Banner For Job Search / NLNG Job Search (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by nenergy(m): 8:08pm On Nov 24, 2013
In the course of your job search you will encounter fraudsters and scammers, but that doesn’t pose much of a problem as long as you are not gullible enough to part with your hard-earned or hard borrowed money. The real threat and hazard is the growing trend of job search related kidnappings and ritual murders.
A job-seeker gets an invitation for aptitude test or interview. He/she leaves home and never returns.
I was discussing trends in the Nigerian job market with a lady in a bus recently and she told a story of how a lady in her neighbourhood went for an interview and has been missing for 30days now. The victim didn’t inform her relative about the details of the interview. The family had to contact Airtel Nigeria to get details of the text message. They went to the interview location and discovered the address doesn’t exist.
Don’t be a victim. PROTECT yourself. How?

• Don’t hoard information: Share details of recruitment information with family and friends.

• Google is an ally: Do a Google search on the company, or post the entire invitation message on the Google search engine. The base your decision to honour such invitation on the search result.

• Ask questions: If a Google search does not reveal much, ask questions on in internet forums like www.nairaland.com. Responses from online forum members are invaluable.

• Do a reconnaissance: Visit the test/interview location days before the fixed date. Catch them, off guard! If you find the place evaluate the environment for genuineness.

• If you can’t locate the place and the interviewer offers to come pick you up…RUN!!!!!!!!!!!
Please be wise, be safe and shine your eyez. Spread the information!!!

Courtesy: http://www.thejobseekerscreed..com/

18 Likes

Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by clun(f): 8:35pm On Nov 24, 2013
Good one.

1 Like

Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by christaddicted: 8:51pm On Nov 24, 2013
True talk,Op.

1 Like

Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by whirlwind7(m): 9:32pm On Nov 24, 2013
It is so cruel how heartless folks would cash in on this. A friend went for a job interview. I called him later on to ask how it went. He told me the venue turned out to be a seedy brothel! Right there he was given the address of a prospective customer to approach and convince to engage their (the new employer's) service.

My man was in a bus, headed to an unknown address at Agbara in Lagos state. He'd been given N300 for transport fare by the two men who interviewed him. I asked him for details about the company the men represented. He replied that they didnt disclose the full info to him. They want him to handle this first assignment just so they can decide if he'd be competent enough for employment, then furnish him with all the details he needed as well as an appointment letter....

He confided to me that there was something off about the entire scenario. That the men seemed like they were in a hurry to leave. One of them kept stealing furtive glances at the exit, as if expecting someone to show up and challenge them.

Told him to abort the journey. He was at Agbara by then, said he wont go directly to where he'd been sent, just scout the area, and if it doesnt look safe, he'll turn around and forget all about it.
The address he'd been sent to happened to be in an area with few buildings. The street itself had less than a dozen buildings, about half of them uncompleted! The building he was meant to visit was quite isolated. Still wondering how to play it out, he walked to a kiosk by the roadside where a woman sells drinks.

Bought a soda and tried to engage the woman in a conversation about the occupants (if any) of the isolated building towards the end of the street. While at it, a bike (okada) passed by. One of the riders looked familiar....
The bike stopped after the building he was meant to be at. It turned out to be one of the men who had just "interviewed" him. They parked the bike and walked further down the street, while stealing curious glances at the building whose address they gave to my friend.

This is when he began to realize that his hunch had been right. He could have walked into kidnappers' den. When he asked the woman if she knows the men, she said she'd seen them often hanging around that area. She thought they are "omo-onile" cos they usually bring strangers to "view" properties around there.
His cell phone began to ring then. The call was coming from one of the men to ask him if he has arrived...

3 Likes

Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by gal10(f): 10:14pm On Nov 24, 2013
@ whirlwind: WoW! Pls continue, what happened? God deliver us from the hands of wicked ones! Imagine being paid your tfare : 300 naira to walk into your kidnappers hand! Lord have mercy

2 Likes

Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by whirlwind7(m): 5:52am On Nov 25, 2013
He took the call, told the caller he was almost there. He was told to hurry up. The woman from the kiosk told him to be wary, if he planned to acquire a piece of land there. That the police had been to the vicinity some time ago to make inquiry about missing persons! In her honest opinion, she felt such happenings could arise due to the volatile nature of land ownership and speculations in Lagos. That "omo-oniles" dont tolerate anyone trying to tussle land ownership with them. That they could kill or maim an opponent with their juju.

But my guy knew better. Those men are kidnappers. They might be "omo-onile", but it would be a cover for their darker trade. He quickly left. He got a call on his way home from the same man, asking him where he is! He told the man that he wont be taking up the job offer anymore. He offered to refund the N300 he was given for his fare. At this point, the man got upset and rained curses on him. That my friend was playing them for a fool, when they were only trying to help him get a job.

He had real fear for his safety afterwards because he was threatened. Moreover the men still have his contacts (from his CV) So he bought recharge card worth N300 and sent the detail by sms to the man's number, with a note of apology cheesy This event happened in 2006, immediately after his NYSC

4 Likes

Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by nenergy(m): 6:51am On Nov 25, 2013
2006? Wow! meaning this satanic business didn't start today! Job-seekers shine ur eyez o!!
Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by gal10(f): 9:21am On Nov 25, 2013
Hmn! Far back as 2006!!!
Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by bunchyproject(m): 3:23pm On Nov 25, 2013
Coool!
Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by BUSHHUNTER: 3:27pm On Nov 25, 2013
I HAVE A JOB ALREADY TNKS
Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by Adesam09(m): 3:28pm On Nov 25, 2013
Ok
Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by omanifrank(m): 3:30pm On Nov 25, 2013
yes nice
Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by Nobody: 3:38pm On Nov 25, 2013
Hmmmm.......Nigeria my country! cry, may God help us all
Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by Nobody: 3:39pm On Nov 25, 2013
whirlwind7: He took the call, told the caller he was almost there. He was told to hurry up. The woman from the kiosk told him to be wary, if he planned to acquire a piece of land there. That the police had been to the vicinity some time ago to make inquiry about missing persons! In her honest opinion, she felt such happenings could arise due to the volatile nature of land ownership and speculations in Lagos. That "omo-oniles" dont tolerate anyone trying to tussle land ownership with them. That they could kill or maim an opponent with their juju.

But my guy knew better. Those men are kidnappers. They might be "omo-onile", but it would be a cover for their darker trade. He quickly left. He got a call on his way home from the same man, asking him where he is! He told the man that he wont be taking up the job offer anymore. He offered to refund the N300 he was given for his fare. At this point, the man got upset and rained curses on him. That my friend was playing them for a fool, when they were only trying to help him get a job.

He had real fear for his safety afterwards because he was threatened. Moreover the men still have his contacts (from his CV) So he bought recharge card worth N300 and sent the detail by sms to the man's number, with a note of apology cheesy This event happened in 2006, immediately after his NYSC

2 Likes

Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by zubimete(f): 3:51pm On Nov 25, 2013
nice writeup, there are every where my sister has fallen a victim but won the battle through a mans intervention whom she asked to put her through. It happen in abuja and she got her text regarding ministry of works. BEWARE
Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by UyiIredia(m): 3:55pm On Nov 25, 2013
The last point especially is worth noting. If the interviewer proposes to pick you up, be suspicious, better yet, decline the offer.
Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 25, 2013
Enlightening! Thanks 4 dat .Yoruba will say 'ohun ti a o je lan wa lo, Oloun maa je ka roun ti yo o jewa'. That is as we are looking 4 what to eat, Lord, don't let us meet what will eat us.

2 Likes

Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by Jakeattah(m): 4:03pm On Nov 25, 2013
God help those of us still serving to get job promptly and not see this kind wahala
Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by Ogegod87: 4:14pm On Nov 25, 2013
This į̸̸̨§ very informative. @OP, thanks for this thread. I know of someone who was called up for an interview i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ aba. She traveled all d way from lagos to aba. She got there pretty late, met with the guy (who told her about the job and consequently helped her submit her CV), who lodged her i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ a hotel where she was to spend the night and then left her only to return at night with his other ritualists. How she managed to escape į̸̸̨§ still a mystery.

@whirlwind, thank God your friend didn't fall into their hands.
Let's all beware of these evil people. Its always easier for them to lure job seekers into their den especially when they know how desperately i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ need of a job you are.
Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by MightyFortress: 4:21pm On Nov 25, 2013
Nice one, Poster.
Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by Iyfy4real: 4:43pm On Nov 25, 2013
May God help us all.AMEN.
Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by dhaewood(m): 4:45pm On Nov 25, 2013
getting jobs in Nigeria has become very difficult now...............there are thousands desperate to get JOBS.........we should become creative & start something small.......gradually it will grow,it will take time and energy but it will grow.............STOP LOOKING FOR JOBS 7 start creating jobs for yourself then for others................
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AERFeWOcGQ
Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by donem: 4:48pm On Nov 25, 2013
@ Whirlwind very Nice writeup very funny as well.

adebayor1490: Enlightening! Thanks 4 dat .Yoruba will say 'ohun ti a o je lan wa lo, Oloun maa je ka roun ti yo o jewa'. That is as we are looking 4 what to eat, Lord, don't let us meet what will eat us.
Hahaha nice 1 @ d bolded makes lotta sense.

@Thread topic Prospective job seekers shine your eyes o.. As alotta peeps have said (if you dont use your head, you will loose your head
Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by komek(m): 4:49pm On Nov 25, 2013
A girl I met in Jos told me similar story of how she was raped in Aba and her belongings stolen. I nver believed her. This is so bad na.
Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by Onyenna(m): 5:01pm On Nov 25, 2013
K
Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by Onyenna(m): 5:07pm On Nov 25, 2013
whirlwind7: It is so cruel how heartless folks would cash in on this. A friend went for a job interview. I called him later on to ask how it went. He told me the venue turned out to be a seedy brothel! Right there he was given the address of a prospective customer to approach and convince to engage their (the new employer's) service.

My man was in a bus, headed to an unknown address at Agbara in Lagos state. He'd been given N300 for transport fare by the two men who interviewed him. I asked him for details about the company the men represented. He replied that they didnt disclose the full info to him. They want him to handle this first assignment just so they can decide if he'd be competent enough for employment, then furnish him with all the details he needed as well as an appointment letter....

He confided to me that there was something off about the entire scenario. That the men seemed like they were in a hurry to leave. One of them kept stealing furtive glances at the exit, as if expecting someone to show up and challenge them.

Told him to abort the journey. He was at Agbara by then, said he wont go directly to where he'd been sent, just scout the area, and if it doesnt look safe, he'll turn around and forget all about it.
The address he'd been sent to happened to be in an area with few buildings. The street itself had less than a dozen buildings, about half of them uncompleted! The building he was meant to visit was quite isolated. Still wondering how to play it out, he walked to a kiosk by the roadside where a woman sells drinks.

Bought a soda and tried to engage the woman in a conversation about the occupants (if any) of the isolated building towards the end of the street. While at it, a bike (okada) passed by. One of the riders looked familiar....
The bike stopped after the building he was meant to be at. It turned out to be one of the men who had just "interviewed" him. They parked the bike and walked further down the street, while stealing curious glances at the building whose address they gave to my friend.

This is when he began to realize that his hunch had been right. He could have walked into kidnappers' den. When he asked the woman if she knows the men, she said she'd seen them often hanging around that area. She thought they are "omo-onile" cos they usually bring strangers to "view" properties around there.
His cell phone began to ring then. The call was coming from one of the men to ask him if he has arrived...

Thanks a lot
Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by weazley(m): 5:08pm On Nov 25, 2013
dhaewood: getting jobs in Nigeria has become very difficult now...............there are thousands desperate to get JOBS.........we should become creative & start something small.......gradually it will grow,it will take time and energy but it will grow.............STOP LOOKING FOR JOBS 7 start creating jobs for yourself then for others................
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AERFeWOcGQ

is it fertilizer that will make it grow or money :/
Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by Onyenna(m): 5:14pm On Nov 25, 2013
adebayor1490: Enlightening! Thanks 4 dat .Yoruba will say 'ohun ti a o je lan wa lo, Oloun maa je ka roun ti yo o jewa'. That is as we are looking 4 what to eat, Lord, don't let us meet what will eat us.

Nice one.....
Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by toocoded: 5:16pm On Nov 25, 2013
Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by GeneralShepherd(m): 5:18pm On Nov 25, 2013
If your company has no website?, no credibility in the industry I don't bother! Aslo emails like dozzygas@yahoo,gmail or anyother free email hosting site.com will not smell my cv!

2 Likes

Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by yomalex(m): 5:21pm On Nov 25, 2013
scary is the word
Re: Job Search Hazards: Protect Yourself! by rodeo0070(m): 5:51pm On Nov 25, 2013
whirlwind7: He took the call, told the caller he was almost there. He was told to hurry up. The woman from the kiosk told him to be wary, if he planned to acquire a piece of land there. That the police had been to the vicinity some time ago to make inquiry about missing persons! In her honest opinion, she felt such happenings could arise due to the volatile nature of land ownership and speculations in Lagos. That "omo-oniles" dont tolerate anyone trying to tussle land ownership with them. That they could kill or maim an opponent with their juju.

Nice one...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nestle's Technical Training Center (NTTC) Aptitude Test / Hr Outsourcing Firms In Ibadan / Diamond Bank Is Recruiting For Graduate Trainee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.