Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,688 members, 7,809,601 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:51 AM

Angola 'bans' Islam - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Angola 'bans' Islam (1426 Views)

Angola Denies Banning Islam / Angola 'bans' Islam, Muslims, Becomes First Country To Do So / China Bans Ramadan For Muslim Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Angola 'bans' Islam by cold(m): 1:23pm On Nov 25, 2013
Angolan President Eduardo Dos SantosAFRICANGLOBE – By popular demand, Angolan authorities have taken pre-emptive action and decided to ban the Muslim religion, which they consider a cult, NOT a religion. They see what Muslims are doing to non-Muslims, especially in Africa, and are taking steps to prevent the same from happening in Angola.In early October 2013, the Muslims living in Luanda in the municipality of Viana Zango were shocked to see the minaret of their mosque dismantled into pieces on the ground without permission. On Thursday 03 October in the morning, the Angolan authorities decided to destroy the mosque Zango located in the urban district of Viana 17 km. The governor of Luanda Bento announced in a radio spot that radical Muslims are not welcome in Angola and the Angolan government is not ready for the legalization of mosques in Angola.And on Tuesday, November 19, the Minister of Culture, Rosa Cruz e Silva said. “Regarding Islam, the legalization process has not been approved by the Ministry of Justice and Human Rights. Therefore all mosques would be closed until further notice. “ It should be noted that the Angolan government has made closing of all mosques a priority. The only two mosques located in Luanda have already received a warning document signed by the mayor of the municipality of Viana José Moreno.The provincial governor of Luanda, Bento Bento, said on the airwaves of local radio that “radical Muslims are not welcome in Angola and the Angolan government is not ready for the legalization of mosques.” Minister of Culture, Rosa Cruz e Silva explained that the law on freedom of religion will be reviewed given the current national context , noting that the Government will redouble its efforts to fight relentlessly against religious cults like Islam which are contrary to the customs of Angolan culture.95% of Angola’s population is Christian. A quarter belongs to Protestant churches founded during the colonial period, including congregational evangelical church.This decisive action taken by the Angolan head of state is based on a desire to guard against the rise of theWahhabi ideology that has created havoc, death and destruction in Africa and elsewhere. And as rightly explained Tunisian philosopher Mezri Haddad: “Islamism and Islamophobia feed each other. Worse, long-term Islamism as an ideology destroy Islam as religion. “According to the International Religious Freedom Report 2008, Islam in Angola is a minority religion with 80,000 – 90,000 adherents, composed largely of migrants from West Africa and families of Lebanese origin. The Muslims comprise between 2.5 to 3 percent of Angola’s overall population of 17 million people, most of them Christians.in the last decade, but especially during the last few years the Muslim community in Angola has grown appreciably and Islamic activities have become more common in major cities. Mosques have sprung up in a number of places and Qur’anic schools have been built to provide Islamic instructions and teach Arabic language to adherents.Public attitudes toward Islam have been generally negative. Cultural differences between Angolan and Muslim immigrants have been the basis for negative views toward Islam, as was the perceived link between Islam and illegal immigration. Since the September 11 attacks, there has been a deliberate attempt to link Muslims with terrorism. It has become a matter of routine at Luanda airport for security officers to detain Muslims arriving from Sahelian countries.On September 1, 2008, a Muslim mob attacked non-Muslims in the community of Andulo. The school-age daughter of a deacon at one of the churches was decapitated. Forty Christians were assaulted or tortured. The mob burned three church buildings. They also went to non-Muslim houses to intimidate them or destroyed items of property. Stones were thrown at the headquarters of a local Christian project, causing some damage. An Angolan Christian leader said that the local police were unable to stop the attack and fled the scene.
[url]
http://www.africanglobe.net/africa/african-state-angola-bans-islam-mosques-destroyed[/url]/
Re: Angola 'bans' Islam by maclatunji: 2:12pm On Nov 25, 2013
This reminds me of attempts to malign Islam after 9/11 leading to even more American converts to Islam. Hence, expect more Angolans to become Muslims in the near future. I laugh in Mandarin at the ineptitude of the Angolan government, Islam and Angola are now inextricably linked in the news.

1 Like

Re: Angola 'bans' Islam by satmaniac(m): 3:12pm On Nov 25, 2013
These should be at the front page,what is it still doing here.
The world need to know the plan and atrocities agains Islam,please dont leave it here to suffocate.
Re: Angola 'bans' Islam by deols(f): 3:49pm On Nov 25, 2013
The prophecies are coming to pass..

I am not in anyway to be disturbed. Am I?
Re: Angola 'bans' Islam by maclatunji: 3:55pm On Nov 25, 2013
satmaniac: These should be at the front page,what is it still doing here.
The world need to know the plan and atrocities agains Islam,please dont leave it here to suffocate.

It is like a done deal now.
Re: Angola 'bans' Islam by Egbagirl(f): 4:33pm On Nov 25, 2013
I understand the idea behind it (whether or not I agree is another story) but this was a wrong move. It will only fuel further crisis.

Muslims will revolt.
They might end up attacking more churches as they did in 2008.
Animosity will grow between Christians and Muslims.
The whole purpose to create a "peaceful" environment will backfire.

There are other ways to ensure peace other than restricting people from practicing their religion. I am pretty sure human right groups will take it up soon.

Btw, not linked at all but this reminds me of Mugabe's infamous land reform, which failed woefully.
Re: Angola 'bans' Islam by maclatunji: 4:37pm On Nov 25, 2013
Egba girl: I understand the idea behind it (whether or not I agree is another story) but this was a wrong move. It will only fuel further crisis.

Muslims will revolt.
They might end up attacking more churches as they did in 2008.
Animosity will grow between Christians and Muslims.
The whole purpose to create a "peaceful" environment will backfire.

There are other ways to ensure peace other than restricting people from practicing their religion. I am pretty sure human right groups will take it up soon.

Human right groups?

Animals can't dash me my property...

-Fela Kuti

1 Like

Re: Angola 'bans' Islam by Bravoosii: 7:22pm On Nov 25, 2013
Interesting, meaning practising Islam is a crime right? So anyone seen praying will be arrested? I'd like to see how this works. The whole thing just seems to farcical. How on earth do you ban a religion.
Re: Angola 'bans' Islam by AlBaqir(m): 7:56pm On Nov 25, 2013
Very unfortunate indeed! The bad deeds of some muslims have stained the religion of "Islam."
If muslims continue declaring a fellow muslim "a kafir" and legalize his killing a "good deed"; then, why won't the non-Islamic world be scared of "Islam" for their lives and properties?

"He is not a muslim whose neighbour is not safe from him"~Holy prophet (saws)

Now you will begin to see senseless revolt and violent. Some useless so-called scholars might even declare "Jihad".

Its very unfortunate: problem in Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq, pakistan, Libya, Egypt, Northern part of Nigeria etc.
Who do muslims shout to for help? America, Uk, UN etc. Shame and shame upon the so-called hypocritical muslim government.

Good deeds, awareness and eradication of bad woods in Islamic boat (by exposing lies of the radical so-called Muslims) in light of Qur'anic and practice of the holy prophet is the only right solution for Muslims to redeem Islamic image.

2 Likes

Re: Angola 'bans' Islam by Nobody: 9:26pm On Nov 25, 2013
Allahu Akbar
Re: Angola 'bans' Islam by beejaay: 8:27am On Nov 26, 2013
As much as this is wrong, muslims are doing it in their countries too.other religions are nt allowed in saudi arabia.why do we cry foul when we are guilty of d same offence.wat is good 4 d goose is also good 4 d gander.majority of us are silly hypocrite.he who want equity mst cum to it wit clean hands.before we condem others let us first put our house in order

3 Likes

Re: Angola 'bans' Islam by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:28am On Nov 26, 2013
I can't believe I like a maclatunji's post.
Re: Angola 'bans' Islam by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:31am On Nov 26, 2013
It is very wrong to force people in things regarding faith (or lack of it). Everybody should be free to practice what they want. However, Islam is not very different from Angola in this regard because Islam does not allow freedom to practice another religion or be irreligious. The penalty for apostacy is death according to most muslim scholars.
What is the difference between Angola banning Islam and Saudi Arabia banning churches?
Re: Angola 'bans' Islam by tintingz(m): 11:52am On Nov 26, 2013
This is so wrong...
Re: Angola 'bans' Islam by AlBaqir(m): 12:18pm On Nov 26, 2013
beejaay: As much as this is wrong, muslims are doing it in their countries too.other religions are nt allowed in saudi arabia.why do we cry foul when we are guilty of d same offence.wat is good 4 d goose is also good 4 d gander.majority of us are silly hypocrite.he who want equity mst cum to it wit clean hands.before we condem others let us first put our house in order

Yeah! That's a plain truth brother. Saudi is a very good example. I'm just tired of some hypocrites labeling Islam with dirts.

"Of the people there are some who say we believe in God and the day of judgment but they do not (really) believe. They cannot deceive God and the true believers; they only deceive themselves but they do not perceive"~Qur'an
Re: Angola 'bans' Islam by DevotedOne(m): 12:54pm On Nov 26, 2013
Bismillaah ir Rahmaan ir Rahiim In The Name of Allaah, The Most Gracious, The Ever Merciful. As salaamu alaykum The Peace (of God) Be Upon You, everyone.

All Praise and Thanks are due to Allaah, The Lord of the worlds.

Its very unfortunate: problem in Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq, pakistan, Libya, Egypt, Northern part of Nigeria etc.
Who do muslims shout to for help? America, Uk, UN etc. Shame and shame upon the so-called hypocritical muslim government. ~ Al-Baqir

Yes, however, unfortunately we do not see the evil hands behind the scene. They assassinated a U.S. President, because he tried to get rid of them. Their hands are dripping with the blood of all of the above captioned nations.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ao.html cia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angola

Tell me, brethren, is this world our native country? Surely not, seeing that the first man was cast out into the world into exile and there he suffers the punishment of his error. Chapter 139 (excerpt).

Therefore guard your senses and guard your heart, because God is not found outside of us, in this world in which he is hated. Chapter 145 Gospel of Barnabas (excerpt)

Wassalaam. DevotedOne
Re: Angola 'bans' Islam by usermane(m): 6:57pm On Nov 26, 2013
This is not certain yet, op. Don't be in a haste to relay this kind of info till you are very sure about it(Qur'an 17:36, 49:6). Some traditional muslims might have started sharpening their knives already.

Much as this may sound harsh, @beejaay and Al baqir have spoken well. The ummayads, abbasids, taliban and ottoman jihadists have done far more terrible things. You think the Angolans are unaware of the countless boko haram attacks on non-muslims in Nigeria,in the name of Islam? You think they do not nurse fear of the tendency of Angolan version of Boko haram being formed in future? If traditional muslims wished the best for themselves, let them return to the bright and progressive teachings of the Qur'an and stop following man-made doctrines. Then everyone will admire Islam, even those who refuse to convert. Untill then,it might be inconsiderate to start pointing fingers.
Re: Angola 'bans' Islam by AlBaqir(m): 11:32pm On Nov 26, 2013
usermane: This is not certain yet, op. Don't be in a haste to relay this kind of info till you are very sure about it(Qur'an 17:36, 49:6). Some traditional muslims might have started sharpening their knives already.

Much as this may sound harsh, @beejaay and Al baqir have spoken well. The ummayads, abbasids, taliban and ottoman jihadists have done far more terrible things. You think the Angolans are unaware of the countless boko haram attacks on non-muslims in Nigeria,in the name of Islam? You think they do not nurse fear of the tendency of Angolan version of Boko haram being formed in future? If traditional muslims wished the best for themselves, let them return to the bright and progressive teachings of the Qur'an and stop following man-made doctrines. Then everyone will admire Islam, even those who refuse to convert. Untill then,it might be inconsiderate to start pointing fingers.

You're very right bro. Those barbaric good for nahtin thugs might be sharpening their swords now waiting for their evil scholars to pass a devilish "fatwa" of killing.
However I will be glad if you could review the use of the word "traditional Muslims" for those staunch bunch of hypocrites. Radical or smth like that.
Safe!
Re: Angola 'bans' Islam by Skako(m): 5:35am On Nov 27, 2013
They are deceiving themself in angola

(1) (Reply)

Islamic Calling In Igbo Language With Former Reverend Levi Udemezue On ITV Abuja / Proof That Allah Is NOT Moon God / I Am Satan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.