Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,797 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:09 AM

Corporate Irresponsibility And A Friend’s Experience With Jumia Nigeria. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Corporate Irresponsibility And A Friend’s Experience With Jumia Nigeria. (1109 Views)

Funny PHCN Photos (share Your Experience With Them) / What A Friend Did Some Minutes Ago. / Are Tattooes A Sign Of Irresponsibility? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Corporate Irresponsibility And A Friend’s Experience With Jumia Nigeria. by hoodedclaw: 3:49pm On Nov 25, 2013
It is not news that sometimes, corporate bodies in Nigeria are less than responsible with the way they treat staff, and that is a problem in itself. But in this situation, the person in question is not staff but a supplier of items to one of Nigeria’s premier online retail stores. Now while I would rather have refrained from naming names, I recognize the fact that at this point, we cannot keep shielding corporate firms behind namelesness and allow them get away with such things all the time. I know the victim of this story personally so I can tell how aggrieved he feels about the whole thing. Just read on and come to a conclusion for yourself if he has been fairly treated.

It has become quite disturbing and embarrassing that I have to come public with how I am been treated as regards my transactions with Jumia Nigeria.

On the 9th of September 2013, I supplied 30 items worth N18,000 to Jumia Nigeria which I handed over to the accessories buyer, Ademilola Aderemi with an agreement I would be paid my cost price while Jumia Nigeria decides on their selling price. He categorically stated that sales reports and payment are made between the 7th and 9th of the month as it was the mode of payment adopted by Jumia Nigeria.

On the 9th of October, 2013 I didn’t get a sales report or payment so I called Ademilola. He informed me a report will be sent and payment made but Finance was still having issues creating my account with Jumia Nigeria as I was a new supplier.

On the 11th of October, 2013, I was at the Jumia office in ikeja to supply 43 items worth N24, 500 (guess that was a huge mistake since I was not paid for the previous items and it was evident the items were sold as seen on their site) to Adeola Falodun. (Ademilola claimed to be out and asked I liase with her). I enquired about payment and got the same old story but with a new twist. I was informed Ademilola was no longer in charge of accessories but Vanessa Onwudiwe and she was on leave, so I should be patient.

When I could no longer bear the stories, I called Ademilola on the 22nd of October, 2013 and he didn’t pick his call. Had to call Adeola (was informed Ademilola was on leave) and practically screamed over the phone before she gave me Vanessa’s number. I spoke with Vanessa, she tendered her apologies and sent me a sales report for september which indicated i was to be paid N8900 and promising payment will be made.

I had to pay a personal visit to Jumia Nigeria office on the 8th of November. I met with Ademilola and Vanessa. I told them how disappointed I was with the way things was going. They tendered their routine apologies and Vanessa claimed there was no proper hand over when she resumed from leave. They both promised to initiate payment and my account will be credited on the 13th of November but I gave a grace till the 15th of November.

On the 12th of November I got a sales report for October fromTrade Finance and I noticed discrepancies in the figures. I was to be paid N7000 but on the report sent It was indicated N6666.69. I replied the mail saying I did not agree with the report sent. I put call through to Vannessa, she acknowledged the mail and promised to work on it.

Please note I had to start sending text messages since my calls where not answered.

By evening on the 15th of November I sent Vanessa an sms saying I didn’t get any positive feedback. 20th November, I put a call to Vanessa but no response. She then sent a text message saying Finance had already initiated payment.
What shocked me most was that by 7:18pm on 22nd of November, 2013 I got a text from 08171110170 saying and I quote ” finance paid you 8900 in September and October payment was initiated today”, I was furious. I have not been paid for September and October.

My problem with the parties involved is that there has been no iota of truth from the onset and everyone has been evasive about payment. This is an integrity issue on the part of Jumia Nigeria.
I know the money involved is not much but please pay up and handover my unsold items.

Anthony,
Latonii’s Accessories.

Note: The above has been posted on Jumia Nigeria's official page and they are yet to respond or even acknowledge anything of the sort is happening.

Now, personally, I find it totally appalling that this is an issue a company as big as Jumia can get involved in. I mean, defaulting on paying a supplier for items they have received, put up on their website and sold a number of? I mean, is this how they treat bigger brands like Samsung and the rest? Taking the legal course would be long, protracted and could end up costing my friend even more than the amount he is trying to get from them. Even if they end up paying the money tomorrow, they have still breached an agreement with him that stated they would remit his earnings and reports the subsequent month after each month he sends them stock. This is disappointing, to say the least, coming from Jumia, and this is the kind of act of corporate nonchalant disposition that we need to get rid of from this country. They have no qualms about receiving people’s money when purchases are made but it seems like they have problems with paying off small time suppliers and this is not acceptable.

http://thirdobserver.ml/2013/11/25/corporate-irresponsibility-and-a-friends-experience-with-jumia-nigeria/

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News: Popular Aguda Market Is Currently On Fire | Photos / What Would You Love To be Remembered For When You Kiss This World Good Bye !!! / Father Forces His Own Children To Have $ex With Family Dog And records It(Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.