Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,054 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria (7712 Views)

Swift Networks A Failed Promise. / One Touch Connection(failed To Establish Network Connection) / "installation Failed" D:\i386\asms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by dlux: 1:20pm On Nov 28, 2013
Why OLPC (one Laptop Per Child) Project Failed In Nigeria

Opensource has brought a lot of good things our way besides free software. A few years ago, the OLPC project kicked off and i
had nothing but excitement as one looked forward to seeing these laptops distributed to students of most public schools at-least
in major cities in the country. The concept was to promote top class computing and equip future leaders with relevant skills needed
for quality software development, technical-know-how and bridging the gap with the rest of the world.Unfortunately this was not the case.
My perception is not far fetched from that of my colleagues

Federal Character: The Nigerian attitude of North must be involved and control every internationally sponsored or approved project,
South South carried along, South West to follow and South East compensated. I know a lot of my friends who are not Nigerians will
not understand what this means but it is what it is. Try reading about other World Bank, IMF or internationally sponsored projects
and you will get a more comprehensive understanding of the Nigerian system of things.

Corruption: A general problem as we all know. This a country where the rich awards scholarships to their children yet embezzle public
funds without remorse. We had issues where some of the OLPC Laptops where starched up in the residence of one senator after distributing
to a friend and children of colleagues rather than to students of public schools.

Poor understanding of Opensource movement: The Fedora Project posses Ambassadors, Online Vendors and same with other Linux distributions
but i doubt if any of these individuals or firms where involved in the dissemination of information or distribution of OLPC. Most agencies
involved had little or no knowledge of the opensource concept or movement. Relevant agencies or persons where not involved integrally and
so it lacked passion and vibe.

Poor distribution Channels: Distribution channels used where not known and had very little effect. I sighted an example of a Senator having
such Laptops in his possession rather than having relevant agencies account for them. Hotels are by no means a suitable distribution channel
for projects like this.

Low Awareness: Publicity was at the barest minimum. Am sure as most Nigerians read this article, they lacked little or no knowledge of the
OLPC project. Many never knew it existed or had been introduced to the Nigerian government. Airplay, coverage or distribution to less
privileged students was non-existent.
http://gtbensmag.com http://bensoftenterprise.com

2 Likes

Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by kabayomi(m): 3:55am On Nov 30, 2013
Waoh

1 Like

Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:34am On Nov 30, 2013
End Time Tinz.
Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by DonaldGenes(m): 11:34am On Nov 30, 2013
Nigerians have made me comment-less, am tired of hearing bad things in this country? Nothing Everly works to its finality, gosh! ah don tire my brother, Most of our problems in this country seems to come from either the North or South east, you heard hear bad things from the south-south apart from pockets of bad news emanating from Edo state poli-tricks,

I think we peeps fro Akwa Ibomites Cross Riverians, Deltans, Port Harcourt and Bayelsans are just tired of some Geo-political Zones and their silly political Jiggery-pickery
How i wish we are rivened

1 Like

Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by Olugbenger(m): 11:35am On Nov 30, 2013
To sum it all up; Corruption and tribalism ensured this project never saw the light.

Nigeria my country!

embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by geeworld1(m): 11:36am On Nov 30, 2013
Donalð Genes: Nigerians have made me comment-less, am tired of hearing bad things in this country? nothing everly works to its finality,gosh! ah don tire my brother

No βѮ only u, me sef don taya
Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by Aromas: 11:37am On Nov 30, 2013
Donalð Genes: Nigerians have made me comment-less, am tired of hearing bad things in this country? nothing everly works to its finality,gosh! ah don tire my brother

Ki lonso bayi?
Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by usman3688(m): 11:37am On Nov 30, 2013
because some1 somewhere already embezzled the dough. abi na lie? we live in a shit country!
Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by otokx(m): 11:38am On Nov 30, 2013
Everybody don tire.
Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by Pangea: 11:42am On Nov 30, 2013
Lol grin
What do you all expect?
Do you people really think our rulers want the children of the masses compete with their own?
Who will worship them for a slice of bread?

Until we all realise that the principle guiding these demons is themselves and themselves alone, the sooner we will realise that we all need to come together to fight them off, instead of singing tribal tunes!

1 Like

Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by ochallo: 11:43am On Nov 30, 2013
Youth development is laudable but here are certain things to note pertaining to youth development.
Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by luvlyoracle(m): 11:45am On Nov 30, 2013
Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by xtophy(m): 11:47am On Nov 30, 2013
d donors dnt hv d money jawe....all dos na stupid excuses
Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by nnocurruption: 11:48am On Nov 30, 2013
My guy I tire for Nigeria too oh everything nor de work.
people are not properly informed , I honestly think Nigerians only hear 5% percent of what is going on that is why some ignorant people keep supporting Nigerian politicians.

1 Like

Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by DonaldGenes(m): 11:48am On Nov 30, 2013
[size=38pt]Too many old people ruling us in this country might be the problem, I think it's high time we send them to sleep, It's either Tukur, Tinubu, Oshiomole, Buhari, Obj, Babangida, Atiku, Amaechi, and so on,but people like Gen Adulsalam Abubakar hardly get on the wrong side of the news, I like that man,he seems disincline to all this Nigerian politics[/size]

1 Like

Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by Okijajuju1(m): 11:50am On Nov 30, 2013
One laptop per child was a dumb idea to start with.. It's like putting the cart before the horse.. The problem with our education is not the lack of laptops. How about we start with fixing the schools and sharing one set of complete textbooks per child.

9 Likes

Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:53am On Nov 30, 2013
It is already taking place in osun state with the introduction of opon-imo.

Up APC

1 Like

Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by astronautog(m): 11:53am On Nov 30, 2013
How e one take work!!when masses are hungry
Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by alotofgrace(m): 11:55am On Nov 30, 2013
tu bad.

who du u think is s.tupid?....http://abume4life..com/2013/11/who-is-silly-joke.html
Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:58am On Nov 30, 2013
Okija_juju: One laptop per child was a dumb idea to start with.. It's like putting the cart before the horse.. The problem with our education is not the lack of laptops. How about we start with fixing the schools and sharing one set of complete textbooks per child.
Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:59am On Nov 30, 2013
TribalEAST: It is already taking place in osun state with the introduction of opon-imo.

Up APC
Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by ichommy(m): 12:07pm On Nov 30, 2013
Okija_juju: One laptop per child was a dumb idea to start with.. It's like putting the cart before the horse.. The problem with our education is not the lack of laptops. How about we start with fixing the schools and sharing one set of complete textbooks per child.

Okay
Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by mbhs139(m): 12:07pm On Nov 30, 2013

This is more like it. The whole thing is a fraud in the first place if students in Lagos public schools still lack simple furniture to work with. Anyway, it's a laptop, so they may not need furniture. It is reallly putting the cart before the horse.
Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by Anniettieufia(m): 12:23pm On Nov 30, 2013
The simplest answer is as na result of sabotage individuals.

People who always sees govt projects as an avenue to make gain for their family's alone .

The worse of it is when you discover that the horded Laptops may not even be sold in the nigerian markets .
Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:26pm On Nov 30, 2013
Okija_juju: One laptop per child was a dumb idea to start with.. It's like putting the cart before the horse.. The problem with our
education is not the lack of laptops. How about we start with fixing the schools and sharing one set of complete textbooks per child.

Absolutamente.

Aside from being ill-conceived, the underpinning technology of OLPC got superseded by better innovation.

The Failure of One Laptop Per Child

The Failure of One Laptop Per Child

by AUDREY WATTERS on 09 APR, 2012

"25 million laptops later," Mashable announced today, "One Laptop Per Child doesn't increase test scores." "Error Message," reads the headline from The Economist: "A disappointing return from an investment in computing."

The tenor of these stories feels like a grand "Gotcha!" for ed-tech: It's shiny stuff, sure, but it offers no measurable gains in "student achievement." So while the OLPC project might have been a good idea, so the story goes, it is not a good investment.

One Laptop Per Child was a good idea, a noble and ambitious one at that. Originally proposed in 2006, OLPC aimed to build an inexpensive laptop that would be sold to governments in the developing world and made available in turn to the children in those countries via their respective ministries of education. Easier said than done. Over the course of the past 6 years, the OLPC has fussed with hardware and software specs, finally building a laptop (and now, a tablet) that costs $200 (twice that of the originally promised price).

In the meantime, much of the developing world has experienced its own mobile computing revolution. There are now a number of manufacturers working on low-cost devices for that market. There's the Intel Classmates PC, for example (with similar hardware, but more expensive software than its OLPC coursin); there's the Worldreader project (it delivers villages a library full of e-books via Kindles); and there's the now-infamous Aakash tablet (which was sold in India for $35 but with its reliability and functionality very much in question).

Arguably more significant than the competition OLPC faces from these low-cost tablets and netbooks: 95% of the world's population now owns a cellphone, by some estimates (See Wikipedia's list of mobile phone penetration, broken down by country). Of course, a clamshell phone is hardly the same as a laptop. One has SMS; the other, a command line. Nonetheless, the ubiquity of the cellphone makes it clear that the value proposition of the OLPC device needs to be more than just "access" and "connectivity."

The mission of the non-profit organization always stressed something broader, bigger -- One Laptop per Child meant empowerment, engagement, and education:

We aim to provide each child with a rugged, low-cost, low-power, connected laptop. To this end, we have designed hardware, content and software for collaborative, joyful, and self-empowered learning. With access to this type of tool, children are engaged in their own education, and learn, share, and create together. They become connected to each other, to the world and to a brighter future.
No mention of improving standardized test scores in there, you'll notice. No talk of "student achievement." "The best preparation for children," according to the OLPC website isn't test prep. It is "to develop the passion for learning and the ability to learn how to learn."

Standardized test scores in math and in language do not reflect "the ability to learn how to learn" -- they don't even purport to. But we fixate on test scores nevertheless. It is worth noting here that the study that prompted today's headlines about OLPC's "disappointing" test results -- one conducted by the Inter-American Development Bank using data collected from some 300 primary schools in rural Peru -- did find some improvement in students' cognitive skills (as in, "the ability to learn how to learn"wink.

The study links that boost in cognitive skills to "increased interaction with technology." Make of that what you will. The study also found that having access to computers increases your access to computers. To quote Keanu Reeves here, "Whoa."

Read More
Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by bumdish: 12:38pm On Nov 30, 2013
OP!!!!! The thinking behind your write-up is probably one of the reasons the project "failed".

What parameters did you apply in arriving at your conclusions?
When did the project start? How far has it gone?
Who or which office is in charge of the project?

Your review is lacking in both facts and figures and your adjudicated reasons seem like an indulgence in baseless imaginations.

Do your homework, read this article http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Nigeria and flesh-up your write-up.

1 Like

Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by brownlord: 12:41pm On Nov 30, 2013
TribalEAST: It is already taking place in osun state with the introduction of opon-imo.

Up APC

I hate to join in this ur pdp, apc, npdp e-war, but sometimes most of u are too dumb. What is opon imo and tell me the advantage of that project to a student that can hardly speak or understand pegin english let alone good english, a school of over 1000 student wit abt 6 teachers including principal and vps, tht dnt go to class, the rest are corpers and student recreuited frm oyes prog. Listen my frind opon imo is a scam, aregbe sure knws how to buy the heart of the poor in that state wit his useless prog. Just the way he introduced, same school uniform for all public schools in osun and merging school, wit no staff but keep spreading propanganda in the media, hey i served in ikirun and i knw wht am talkin abt.

To all u apc e-warriors dont quote me and "tell me nonsence" in other to defend ur party, am neither pdp or apc e thug so stay clear

2 Likes

Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:55pm On Nov 30, 2013
Aregbesola is doing abgreat Job with Opon Imo in Osun State.
Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by mazizitonene(m): 1:06pm On Nov 30, 2013
Dah wan na story, d only reason na say:
Ya papa, mama, snr broda, sister and elders never get laptop na small pikin lyk u wan come get

grin
Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by saintneo(m): 1:08pm On Nov 30, 2013
Donalð Genes: Nigerians have made me comment-less, am tired of hearing bad things in this country? Nothing Everly works to its finality, gosh! ah don tire my brother, Most of our problems in this country seems to come from either the North or South east, you heard hear bad things from the south-south apart from pockets of bad news emanating from Edo state poli-tricks,

I think we peeps fro Akwa Ibomites Cross Riverians, Deltans, Port Harcourt and Bayelsans are just tired of some Geo-political Zones and their silly political Jiggery-pickery
How i wish we are rivened
I don't understand how southeast is a problem in this topic.

kindly address the institutionalized corruption in the country.
Re: Why OLPC Project Failed In Nigeria by IGBOSON1: 1:11pm On Nov 30, 2013
Donalð Genes: Too many old people ruling us in this country might be the problem, I think it's high time we send them to sleep, It's either Tukur, Tinubu, Oshiomole, Buhari, Obj, Babangida, Atiku, Amaechi, and so on,but people like Gen Adulsalam Abubakar hardly get on the wrong side of the news, I like that man,he seems disincline to all this Nigerian politics

^^^You took an unprovoked swipe at Ndigbo in your previous post (adding the north just to 'balance' things just so your intentions appear unbiased and neutral); and in this post you're heaping praises and worship on Abdusalami Abubakar!

Nice job mate!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Use Mtn Fastlink To Browse With Any Sim (unlock Your Modem Now). / Can't Open Facebook On Google Chrome. / How To Retrieve Your Files From FOLDERS Turned Into SHORTCUTS By VIRUS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.