Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,862 members, 7,810,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:51 AM

Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ - Religion (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ (93861 Views)

Where Does God Lives Before The Creation Of The Heaven And The Earth? / In The Beginning God Created The Heaven And The Earth. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:59pm On Nov 07, 2017
Root of Bitterness
November 4, 2017

"Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled" (Hebrews 12:15)

Bitterness and a bitter spirit should never characterize a person who has experienced the saving grace of God through Jesus Christ. No matter how seriously one may have been wronged, if he has known God's forgiving grace for his own wrongdoings, he should manifest that same grace in his life toward others, even though they do not merit it (for neither did he merit God's forgiving grace himself).

Bitterness is a characteristic of the ungodly "whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness" (Romans 3:14). A Christian must never try to rationalize it as "righteous indignation" or to think that certain injustices give him the "right" to be bitter and resentful. "If ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish" (James 3:14-15). Rooted bitterness will soon "spring up," not only robbing the bitter believer of joy and true fruitfulness, but bearing bitter fruit whereby many others will "be defiled."

The antidote, of course, is never to "fail of the grace of God." That is, we need to be "looking diligently," moment by moment, at the wonderful grace of God by which we were saved through faith and in which we continue to live each day.

Therefore, "let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you" (Ephesians 4:31-32). Otherwise, we not only hurt both ourselves and others, but we also grieve "the holy Spirit of God" (v. 30). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:44am On Nov 09, 2017
Ask What Ye Will
November 5, 2017

"If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you" (John 15:7)

The precious promise in this verse has been an inspiration to the faithful down through the centuries. It becomes even more amazing when attention is paid to the original Greek language in which it was written.

Abiding implies a close personal fellowship with someone; in this case, the personal, loving Lord Jesus: "As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love" (v. 9). Such an abiding on our part will be evidenced by obedience, love for Him and for the brethren, and joy (vv. 10-14). Our minds and hearts will be in total harmony with His, guided by such a walk and His words.

"Ye shall ask" does not carry the proper force in English. This is a command in the imperative mode in Greek—a challenge, if you will. He challenges us to "ask what ye will" (literally “whatever ye desire”) and see Him faithful. Desire speaks of something different from need; indeed, it speaks of an "inclination." He is not afraid we will ask for selfish inclinations, for if we "abide" in Him, our desires are His desires, and we will naturally ask for those things that glorify Him. "Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples" (v. 8.)

Notice the word "done," which in Greek stems from the word meaning "to come into existence." God will answer our unselfish prayers, even if He has to transcend natural law or even create something to do so. He even challenges us to "ask" without hesitation, as implied by the Greek construction.

If we meet the condition of "abiding" in Him, as a branch "abides" in the vine (vv. 1-5), He will place in us the desire to bring forth much fruit (v. 5) to His glory and to our everlasting delight. JDM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:09pm On Nov 09, 2017
Christ Our Leader
November 6, 2017

"For it became Him, for Whom are all things, and by Whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings" (Hebrews 2:10)

The Lord never asks us to go anywhere that He has not gone before. He is the captain (literally, the “leader”) of our salvation, and we only need follow our divine leader. The same word is used in Hebrews 12:2, where we are exhorted to be "looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith." "Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow His steps" (1 Peter 2:21). "Him hath God exalted with His right hand to be a Prince [same word] and a Saviour" (Acts 5:31).

The same wonderful truth appears under various figures. He is our Shepherd, for instance, and He says, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow Me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish" (John 10:27-28). He also illumines our path. "I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life" (John 8:12). He guides us along the way by His indwelling Holy Spirit. "When He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth. . . . and He will show you things to come" (John 16:13).

With such a dauntless leader, a perfect example, a loving Shepherd, a clear light, and an infallible guide, we are (or should be) happy to follow Him, even if the way sometimes seems steep and hard.

He is the goal and prize at the end of the journey. For Him, Paul said, “I have suffered the loss of all things . . . that I may win Christ . . . forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:8, 13-14). HMM

For more . . . .

Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:39pm On Nov 09, 2017
Where to Bestow Our Wealth
November 7, 2017

"And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully: And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?" (Luke 12:16-17)

God called this rich man "Thou fool" (Luke 12:20) because, rich as he was in his own eyes, he was "not rich toward God" (v. 21). Instead of choosing to bestow his goods on others in need or on any kind of ministry for God, he decided to build more barns and "there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods" (v. 18). The barns did not need them, however, and neither did the rich fool, for he died the very night on which he made this selfish decision.

The intensity of his self-centred nature is pointed up by the fact that he used personal pronouns (I, my) no less than 11 times in three verses (vv. 17-19). Furthermore, no counselor advised him on this course of action. He just "thought within himself" (v. 17) to keep it all for his own comfort and pleasure.

Jesus told this parable not just to rebuke selfish rich people, however, but to warn all of us against the wicked sin of covetousness "which is idolatry" (Colossians 3:5). "Beware of covetousness," He said in introducing the parable, "for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth" (Luke 12:15).

Complaining American Christians (and almost all American Christians are wealthy compared to multitudes in many other nations) need to hear the ancient word of the psalmist still relevant today: "Be not thou afraid when one is made rich, when the glory of his house is increased; For when he dieth he shall carry nothing away: his glory shall not descend after him. . . . Man that is in honour, and understandeth not, is like the beasts that perish" (Psalm 49:16-17, 20). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:36am On Nov 10, 2017
For Us
November 8, 2017

"But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8.)

"Christian" liberals for many generations have scoffed at the biblical doctrine that the death of Christ could serve as a substitutionary sacrifice for the sin of the whole world. Like all other religions, their form of religion assumes that each person is responsible for his own salvation, which must somehow be earned by his own good deeds and religious observances. Some have a very rigid code of ethics, some talk of mental attitudes that ascend to higher planes through meditation, some emphasize only love, others simply feel that the good must somehow outweigh the bad. All rely on human abilities to gain salvation.

Nevertheless, the Bible clearly teaches that "the wages of sin is death" (Romans 6:23) and, as our text emphasizes, "Christ died for us." This pungent phrase, "for us," appears repeatedly in the New Testament. Listen to this refrain:

"[God] spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all" (Romans 8:32). "For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us" (1 Corinthians 5:7). "Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us" (Galatians 3:13). "Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God" (Ephesians 5:2). "Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity" (Titus 2:14). "Christ also suffered for us" (1 Peter 2:21).

"Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us" (1 John 3:16). Hereby we perceive His great love for us! He was delivered up for us, sacrificed for us, made a curse for us; He gave Himself for us, suffered for us, and laid down His life for us. We were helpless, lost in sin, altogether unable to pay for our sins, but "Christ died for our sins" (1 Corinthians 15:3), and we are saved! HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:34pm On Nov 10, 2017
Never Forsaken
November 9, 2017

"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee" (Deuteronomy 31:6)

The promise that God will never leave nor forsake His people occurs often in Scripture. It was given here through Moses to the children of Israel as they were preparing to enter the land promised long ago to Abraham. Two verses later, it was then repeated personally for Joshua, who was to be their leader in the coming battles.

Essentially the same promise had been made to Jacob as he began to assume his God-ordained role. "Behold, I am with thee," God had said, ". . . for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of" (Genesis 28:15). It was again repeated directly to Joshua by God. "As I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee" (Joshua 1:5).

David passed on the same promise to Solomon as he became responsible for the kingdom and for building the great temple. "[God] will not fail thee, nor forsake thee, until thou hast finished all the work for the service of the house of the LORD" (1 Chronicles 28:20). "I the God of Israel will not forsake them" (Isaiah 41:17) was the Lord's promise still later to the faithful Israelites.

And we can rejoice today in this same wonderful promise. "He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me" (Hebrews 13:5-6). This remarkable verse has five negatives in the Greek, so that it could even be rendered literally as something like: "I will never, never leave thee, and never, never, never forsake thee." Surely this is one of the greatest of God's "exceeding great and precious promises" (2 Peter 1:4). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:00pm On Nov 10, 2017
Words of Peace and Truth
November 10, 2017

"And he sent the letters unto all the Jews, to the hundred twenty and seven provinces of the kingdom of Ahasuerus, with words of peace and truth" (Esther 9:30)

The book of Esther is unique in that it contains no explicit mention of God. Yet, the hand of God is more evident in this book than in almost any other. It was after their remarkable deliverance from the genocide that had been contrived for them by Haman that Mordecai wrote his "words of peace and truth" to all the Jews, establishing an annual holiday to commemorate the providential winning of peace with their enemies, with the triumph of truth over evil and deception.

This incisive though unusual combination of words (“peace and truth”) was also used by Hezekiah when the Lord promised safety for his kingdom as long as he lived. "Is it not good, if peace and truth be in my days?" (2 Kings 20:19). Similarly, God promised His people delivery from their Babylonian captors: "I will cure them, and will reveal unto them the abundance of peace and truth" (Jeremiah 33:6). Finally, through Zechariah, God promised His people a future lasting peace that they were to commemorate four times a year with "joy and gladness, and cheerful feasts; therefore love the truth and peace" (Zechariah 8:19).

Men have longed for peace through the centuries, but it continues to elude them. After the so-called "war to end all wars," Armistice Day was established to celebrate the lasting peace the war supposedly secured. Now, of course, it is called Veterans Day—still a day for honour, but hardly one of light and gladness. Peace can only endure in truth.

Although God was never named in Esther, He was there! Mordecai's "words of peace and truth" implicitly spoke of the Lord Jesus Christ. There will only be real peace when men accept the real truth. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:16pm On Nov 11, 2017
Created to Rule the Day
November 11, 2017

"And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: He made the stars also" (Genesis 1:16).

It seems that throughout history, mankind has ignored or distorted the purpose for which God created the sun. Many cultures have even worshiped the sun, teaching that the sun was the source of all being, even human life. Temples were built in its honour, human sacrifices were made to appease it, whole civilizations were dedicated to its worship.

The nation Israel, which had lived among sun-worshiping Egyptians for centuries, was warned not to "lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and . . . [see] the sun, and . . . be driven to worship" (Deuteronomy 4:19) under penalty of death, "for the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God" (Deuteronomy 4:24).

One of mankind's primary purposes is to worship God, but the sun was created by God for man's benefit. He is a God of grace and desires to "freely give us all things" (Romans 8:32).

The purpose of the sun is no mystery. Its Creator says that along with the moon and stars it is "to divide the day from the night . . . and . . . be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years . . . to give light upon the earth" (Genesis 1:14-15).

There will come a time, however, when the sun will no longer be needed by God's people, for in our eternal home "there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light" (Revelation 22:5). "And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof" (Revelation 21:23). Best of all, we shall be with Him. JDM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:50pm On Nov 13, 2017
The Voice of the Lord
November 12, 2017

"The voice of the LORD is powerful; the voice of the LORD is full of majesty" (Psalm 29:4).

This solemn phrase, "the voice of the LORD," occurs seven times in Psalm 29, centred especially on the awful judgment of the great Flood in the days of Noah. "The voice of the LORD is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the LORD is upon many waters" (v. 3). It occurs many other times in the Old Testament as well, with a wide variety of applications and circumstances.

The very first time it occurs, however (and this is also the first occurrence of "voice" in the Bible, indicating thereby that it is God's voice—not man's—that we must hear if we seek guidance for life), is in the Garden of Eden immediately after man brought sin into the world. "And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden. . . . And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?" (Genesis 3:8­­­­-9). Mankind is lost and separated from God, but God calls unto each of us as He did to Adam, and we desperately need to hear His voice if our lives are to be fulfilled and spiritually fruitful.

In contrast to this scene of alienation, the final occurrence of a "voice" in the Bible is a beautiful scene of reconciliation when God again speaks to lost mankind, this time in glorious restoration of that broken fellowship. "And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God" (Revelation 21:3).

To hear His voice then, however, we must first hear His voice now, through His Word. Jesus said, "He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life. . . . the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live" (John 5:24-25). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:38pm On Nov 14, 2017
Old Testament Love
November 13, 2017

"Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD" (Leviticus 19:18).

Many people have mistakenly rejected or neglected the Old Testament on the basis that it speaks about a vindictive God of judgment in contrast to the New Testament God of love manifest in Jesus Christ. This perspective, however, is completely wrong.

One day a lawyer asked Jesus, "Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Both of these commandments were recorded, of course, in the Old Testament. The first one in Deuteronomy 6:4-5 is perhaps the most revered of all passages to the Jews: "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." The second great commandment is the one in our text for the day. This law is buried deep in the Pentateuch, in the unlikely heart of the book of Leviticus. In the New Testament it is even called "the royal law" (James 2:8.).

Thus, the great underlying theme of the Old Testament is love—love for God and love for others—and this truth is stressed by Christ Himself in the New Testament. Even greater is God's eternal love that was ours from before the world and that will never end. "The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee" (Jeremiah 31:3). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:30pm On Nov 15, 2017
The Definition of Faith
November 14, 2017

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" (Hebrews 11:1).

The marvelous "faith chapter," Hebrews 11, is an amazing chapter. Here, faith is defined not as some intangible wishfulness but as "substance" and "evidence." Let us look closely.

First of all, faith must have a legitimate object, nothing less than the mighty Creator by whom "the worlds were framed" (v. 3) out of nothing but His omnipotent Word.

Beyond this, faith is further defined not by what it is but by what it does! The man of faith comes to God by "a more excellent sacrifice," like that of Abel (v. 4), typifying the sacrifice of Christ. Faith will, like Enoch, live to please God (v. 5), and will, like Noah, prepare an Ark (i.e., do whatever necessary out of obedience to God) "to the saving of his house" (v. 7).

True faith will, like Abraham, go out as God leads, "not knowing whither he went," even "dwelling in tabernacles" (literally “tents”) (vv. 8-9) if need be, as he looks for that city with sure "foundations, whose builder and maker is God" (v. 10). Such faith will even, like Abraham, offer up to God the greatest love and joy of his life, knowing that God will keep His Word (vv. 17-19).

Like Moses, the man of genuine faith will choose rather "to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season" (v. 25). Faith is even willing to be "stoned . . . sawn asunder . . . slain with the sword," if need be, for the promises of God (vv. 37, 39).

We are saved by grace through faith, not of works (Ephesians 2:8-9), but since we are "created in Christ Jesus unto good works" (Ephesians 2:10), our faith should motivate us to action. "Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only" (James 2:24). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:03pm On Nov 15, 2017
The Grace of Being Content
November 15, 2017

"And having food and raiment let us be therewith content" (1 Timothy 6:8.).

The last of God's Ten Commandments—and probably the most difficult to obey—deals with the sin of covetousness. "Thou shalt not covet . . . any thing that is thy neighbour's" (Exodus 20:17). "Take heed, and beware of covetousness," warned the Lord Jesus, "for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth" (Luke 12:15). This warning introduced His parable of the rich man whom God called a fool. "So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God" (Luke 12:21).

And how does one become rich toward God? "Lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven. . . . Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. . . . seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you" (Matthew 6:20, 25, 33).

We Christians—especially in an affluent society such as ours—all too easily fall into the trap of being possessed by our possessions and may even think these possessions are somehow God's reward for our "godliness." But Paul says those who suppose "that gain is godliness" are "destitute of the truth." We need to remember that in God's sight "godliness with contentment is great gain" (1 Timothy 6:5-6). And with Paul, we should strive to be able to say sincerely that "I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content" (Philippians 4:11).

God has promised to supply all our needs (Philippians 4:19) if we are faithful stewards of what He has entrusted to us. Therefore, God's Word commands: "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee" (Hebrews 13:5). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:21pm On Nov 16, 2017
Asking and Receiving
November 16, 2017

"For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened" (Matthew 7:8.).

The tremendous resource of prayer is far too often neglected by far too many Christians. If nothing is standing between us and the Lord to keep us from asking effectively (sin, unbelief, selfish motives, etc.), then God has promised to act when we ask by giving us our request or something better. Note just a few of the many promises to those who ask:

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God . . . and it shall be given him" (James 1:5).

"Ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full" (John 16:24).

"How much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?" (Luke 11:13).

"And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight" (1 John 3:22).

"And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him" (1 John 5:14-15).

"If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it" (John 14:14).

"If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you" (John 15:7).

Obviously, there are conditions. These marvelous promises assume that those who ask are abiding in His commandments, truly desiring His will, having His priorities, thinking His thoughts, and are asking in faith and in His name. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:27pm On Nov 17, 2017
Son of God
November 17, 2017

"Concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the Spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead" (Romans 1:3-4).

It is noteworthy that the identification of Jesus Christ as the Son of God is directly associated with His resurrection from the dead. "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death" (1 Corinthians 15:26), and since only God Himself can conquer death, Christ's bodily resurrection is the conclusive affirmation of His unique deity: "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God" (Matthew 16:16). Many others have claimed divine sonship, but all are dead—only Christ validated that claim by defeating death. "God . . . hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee" (Acts 13:33). "Death is swallowed up in victory . . . . through our Lord Jesus Christ" (1 Corinthians 15:54, 57).

Jesus is explicitly called "the Son of God" about 44 times in the New Testament, only half as often as He is called "Son of man." Nevertheless, this great truth is clearly taught in numerous other ways than by the use of the title itself. It is so important that there is no salvation for the one who denies it. Jesus said plainly, "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God" (John 3:18).

Because He lives, we who believe on His name will also live forever! "Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God? . . . He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life" (1 John 5:5, 12-13). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:12am On Nov 18, 2017
Jesus Christ, Our Hope
November 18, 2017

"This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare; Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck" (1 Timothy 1:18-19).

Paul had been entrusted with the gospel of Jesus Christ by Christ Himself (vv. 1, 12-16), and he did not take this fact lightly when it was time to pass on the job of guarding and propagating the truth to others.

In our text, following his praise to God for giving him such a function, Paul now "charges" Timothy to follow in his footsteps. The word "commit" finds usage in banking vocabulary and implies a deposit of something of great value. Timothy was to continue to teach the valuable, life-changing truth of the gospel in love (v. 5) while guarding the flock against the teaching of false teachers (v. 3).

Paul had not found such a responsibility to be easy. In our text he reminds Timothy of this fact, encouraging him to "war a good warfare." Note the two weapons of Timothy's warfare mentioned here. First, faith, which, while not specified, certainly implies faith in God and Christ's atoning sacrifice, and faith that this cause is just and right. Second, a good conscience, yielding a life and ministry free from both controlling sin and the guilt of that sin. Such a conscience comes from a lifestyle brought into submission to God's Word. In fact, this couplet—faith and a good conscience—is said to be "the end of the commandment" (v. 5), along with love.

Some (v. 19) had abandoned these vital weapons to the "shipwreck" of their own faith and the faith of their followers. Nevertheless, such weapons, properly used, are "mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds" (2 Corinthians 10:4). JDM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:35pm On Nov 19, 2017
The Only Way
November 19, 2017

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me" (John 14:6).

This is surely one of the best-known, best-loved, most important, clearest, yet most profound verses in the Bible. There is no other way to come to God except through Christ, no other truth than that which is founded and centered on Christ, and no other eternal life except the life of Christ imparted to the believer—through faith in Christ.

All who teach otherwise are "thieves and robbers" of the soul, for Jesus said, "I am the door" (John 10:8-9). There is no other door to heaven and no other Shepherd of the sheep. He is the only "light of the world" (John 8:12) to illumine a world otherwise blackened by sin. "For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ" (2 Corinthians 4:6).

He is "that bread of life . . . the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever" (John 6:48, 51), and there is no other such life-sustaining eternal food for the hungry soul.

Likewise, He is the "living water." "If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink" (John 7:37-38). No other water satisfies. He is also the one "true vine" in whom we must abide for fruit-producing life. He said, "For without me ye can do nothing" (John 15:1, 5).

The Scriptures have made it abundantly plain that there is "none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved" (Acts 4:12).

There is no other way; the Lord Jesus Christ is the all-sufficient way, and the perfect way, to God. It is not that He shows the way; He is the way, and all who want to come can come to God through Him. HMM

For more . . . .

Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:05pm On Nov 21, 2017
Our Hiding Place
November 20, 2017

"For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock" (Psalm 27:5).

There are times in the life of each believer when the trials become overwhelming and the whole world seems to be falling apart. Without the Lord, it would be impossible to escape, but with the Lord there can be safety and restoration, for He can be our precious hiding place until the storm is done.

There are many gracious promises to this effect in His Word, and we need only to claim them to experience them. The "pavilion" in our text is best understood as the tent of the commander-in-chief, well-protected and away from the battlefront. Surely, we are safe there. "Thou shalt hide them in the secret of thy presence from the pride of man: thou shalt keep them secretly in a pavilion from the strife of tongues" (Psalm 31:20). There is a wonderful Messianic promise in Isaiah 32:2: "And a man [that man is Christ!] shall be as an hiding place from the wind, and a covert from the tempest; as rivers of water in a dry place, as the shadow of a great rock in a weary land."

There, sheltered from the storm, our gracious Lord gives comfort and sweet counsel until we are able to face the tempest victoriously. "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust" (Psalm 91:1-2).

One of the most beautiful of these promises introduces David's great song of deliverance: "The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my Saviour; thou savest me from violence" (2 Samuel 22:2-3). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:14pm On Nov 21, 2017
The Names of the Men
November 21, 2017

"And these are the names of the men that shall stand with you: of the tribe of Reuben; Elizur the son of Shedeur" (Numbers 1:5).

These are the first entries in several long lists of names here in the book of Numbers—all names of men in the 12 tribes of Israel. We know nothing about most of these men except their names, so it is natural to wonder why God had Moses include them in the inspired Scriptures.

In fact, this is one of the objections that skeptics and liberals have raised against the doctrine of verbal inspiration of the Bible. What possible spiritual or doctrinal or practical purpose could be accomplished through these lists of names for any future readers of the Bible?

And there are, indeed, many such lists of names. For example, the first nine chapters of 1 Chronicles consist almost entirely of names. Then there are the lists in Ezra 2; Ezra 10; Nehemiah 7, 11, and 12; Romans 16; and others.

Information is included about some of these people, of course, and even the meaning of the names may warrant speculation about their parents' hopes for the children.

But there is also another very cogent reason for God to have included all these names of relatively less significant people in His book. He wants to assure us that He is interested not only in the Abrahams, Daniels, Pauls, and other great men in His Kingdom, but also in the Elizurs and Shedeurs and Bills and Kates in His spiritual family.

There are many millions of names "written in the Lamb's book of life" (Revelation 21:27), and the heavenly Lamb—the Lord Jesus Christ—is also the Good Shepherd that "calleth his own sheep by name" (John 10:3). The names in His book here on Earth are an assurance that He knows and calls us by each of our names in His book in heaven. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:24am On Nov 22, 2017
Our Hope
November 22, 2017

"Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope" (1 Timothy 1:1).

Paul, in his opening salutation to Timothy, makes it clear that the Christian's hope is not just in Christ but is Christ! In the New Testament, the term "hope" does not refer to some vague wish but to a confident expectation of something (or someone) sure to come. It focuses especially on the promised return of Christ to complete His great work of redemption.

It is specifically called the blessed hope: "Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ" (Titus 2:13). It is also a living hope, for God the Father "hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead" (1 Peter 1:3).

Furthermore, since Christ is our hope, it is a saving hope. "For we are saved by hope" (Romans 8:24). It is a glorious and joyful hope. It recognizes the present truth of "Christ in you, the hope of glory" (Colossians 1:27), so that we "rejoice in hope of the glory of God" (Romans 5:2).

It is not a blind hope but a reasonable hope, one founded on solid evidence, and every believer must "be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you" (1 Peter 3:15).

Finally, this hope of the imminent coming of Christ, when at last "we shall be like him," is a purifying hope, for "every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure" (1 John 3:2-3). It also is a stabilizing hope, "which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast" (Hebrews 6:19). In every way, God "hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace" (2 Thessalonians 2:16). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:41am On Nov 24, 2017
Giving Thanks for Christian Friends
November 23, 2017

"We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers" (1 Thessalonians 1:2).

We all have much to be thankful for. It is certainly appropriate to give audible thanks for our daily bread, whether in private, at a family meal, or in public at a fine restaurant. In fact, Jesus set the example. When He miraculously fed the multitude beside the Sea of Galilee, He began with a prayer of thanksgiving: "He took the seven loaves and the fishes, and gave thanks, and brake them. . . . And they did all eat, and were filled" (Matthew 15:36-37).

It is good to give thanks for our food and shelter and clothing, but the blessing of having Christian friends is even more thankworthy. The first letter to the Thessalonians was possibly Paul’s first Spirit-inspired letter to Christian friends, and Paul began with a testimony of thankfulness to God for them (see the text above).

When Paul wrote to the Philippians, he began similarly: "I thank my God upon every remembrance of you" (Philippians 1:3), and to the Colossians, he started the same way: "We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you" (Colossians 1:3). The same when he wrote his epistle to the church at Corinth: "I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ" (1 Corinthians 1:4).

Even when writing to the Christians at Rome, whom he had not yet met personally, he wrote: "First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all" (Romans 1:8.). He also thanked God for his personal friends Timothy (2 Timothy 1:3) and Philemon (v. 4).

Throughout our Christian life journey, we develop lasting Christian friends and can thank God for all of them. What a blessing to have such friends, and how fitting it is to give God special thanks for them at this time. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:34pm On Nov 24, 2017
Called Before Birth
November 24, 2017

"But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by His grace, To reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him" (Galatians 1:15-16).

There is great mystery here. Paul was the human writer of much of the New Testament, yet he also claimed divine inspiration. "I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ" (Galatians 1:11-12).

It was only a short time before, however, that Paul had been bitterly opposing that gospel. "Beyond measure," he said, "I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it" (Galatians 1:13). Eventually, he was converted and began to preach "the faith which once he destroyed" (Galatians 1:23). Yet, during all his years of fighting God's truth, he had already been separated unto God and called by His grace even before he was born, as our text reveals. His teachers in the synagogue, his studies under Gamaliel, and even his anti-Christian crusades were all being orchestrated by God to develop Paul into the unique person he would be, the great Christian whom God could use to write much of His own written Word. Paul's epistles were thus truly his epistles, derived from his own experience, research, study, reasoning, and concerns. At the same time, they came out as God's Word, inspired by the Holy Spirit, free from error and perfectly conveyed from God to man, because God had Himself ordained and planned all Paul's experiences and abilities and had implanted all these concerns in his heart.

And so it was with all the human writers of the Bible. God's Word (like Christ Himself) is both human and divine, yet meeting all our needs. This is mysterious indeed, but well within the capabilities of our omnipotent and gracious Creator. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:04pm On Nov 25, 2017
Abide
November 25, 2017

"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing" (John 15:4-5).

As recorded in John 14–16, many of Christ's last words to His disciples as He was about to leave them regarded abiding. The word meno occurs 18 times in this discourse and is translated not only "abide" but also "remain," "dwell," "continue," and "be present." Let us look at what He told them about abiding while He was "yet present" (14:25) with them.

First, "the Father . . . dwelleth in me" (14:10), "I am in the Father, and the Father in me" (v. 11). That is, they are one and the same, inseparably abiding together, giving great power to those believing on Him (v. 12).

Furthermore, the very Spirit of God, the "Comforter," will "abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive . . . but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you" (vv. 16-17). "I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you" (v. 20).

Abiding in Him, as we see in our text and in verse 7 (as opposed to the tragic end of those who "abide not" [v. 6]), brings forth much fruit, and that fruit shall "remain" (v. 16).

There is one requirement—that we keep His commandments (14:23 and 15:10), and if we do so, we will "continue" and "abide" in His love (vv. 15:9-10). "These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full" (15:11). Not only are we to abide while in this world, but throughout eternity. "In my Father's house are many mansions [same root word, meaning abiding places]: . . . I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also" (14:2-3). JDM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:08pm On Nov 27, 2017
Four Commands
November 26, 2017

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king" (1 Peter 2:17).

Our text today gives four commands for believers to obey, each of which is difficult but nonetheless "is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men" (v. 15). It comes in a lengthy passage (2:11–3:12) that discusses the matter of authority and a Christian's proper response to it. Ponder each command:

Honour all men. This could be translated "Give honour to all." While the verb is the same as in the last command, its verb tense is not the same, here indicating a continued, conscious choice to do this, while honouring "the king" indicates the development of a lifestyle of showing respect to civil authority. Evidently our day-to-day encounters with sinful "men" require us to be continually choosing to regard them with honour and dignity. "Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves" (Philippians 2:3).

Love the brotherhood. Our agape love—God's kind of unselfish, undeserved love—should extend, on a habitual basis as seen in the verb tense, to all believers. "See that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently" (1 Peter 1:22).

Fear God. A lifestyle marked by a reverential fear of God is in mind here. "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge" (Proverbs 1:7). "Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil" (Proverbs 3:7).

Honour the king. As mentioned above, this is to be a life's commitment, continually recognizing the God-given authority of human government (1 Peter 2:1-14).

"Having your conversation [i.e., manner of life] honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation" (v. 12). JDM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:45pm On Nov 29, 2017
Eternal Things
November 27, 2017

"While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal" (2 Corinthians 4:18).

One of the most difficult handicaps for a Christian to overcome is spiritual nearsightedness. It is easy to see temporal things but hard to think on eternal things.

Paul, however, in the midst of an extremely busy and difficult temporal life, somehow did manage to keep his sights on that eternal life to which he was called. The wonderful redemption that Christ purchased for us with His blood is nothing less than "eternal redemption" (Hebrews 9:12); and therefore "he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him" (Hebrews 5:9). Consequently, as joint-heirs with Him, "they which are called . . . receive the promise of eternal inheritance" (Hebrews 9:15). He is, surely, the "God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus" (1 Peter 5:10) and has there provided for us "everlasting habitations" (Luke 16:9).

All of these eternal things—eternal redemption, eternal salvation, eternal inheritance, eternal habitations, and eternal glory—are of infinitely greater value than the temporal things that crowd our minds and limit our goals. They are all a part of the wonderful eternal life we have already received through faith in Christ. It is significant that the phrase "eternal life" (or "everlasting life," which is the same Greek phrase) occurs no less than 44 times in the New Testament. God speaks of it often, and so should we!

The very first eternal thing mentioned in the Bible is the "everlasting covenant" God has made with all men (Genesis 9:16). The last is the "everlasting gospel" to be preached to all men (Revelation 14:6). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:27pm On Dec 01, 2017
Did He Really Die?
December 1, 2017

"And Pilate marvelled if he were already dead: and calling unto him the centurion, he asked him whether he had been any while dead. And when he knew it of the centurion, he gave the body to Joseph" (Mark 15:44-45).

The absolute and total physical death of Christ is essential to the gospel. Certain liberals and detractors have for years tried to obscure or deny this vital teaching, claiming that Christ merely "swooned" on the cross and later revived in the tomb, then appeared to His followers who falsely claimed His resurrection.

But to the Christian, the death of Christ is not an option. The Bible teaches that sin had separated each man from God: "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God," being declared righteous only "through faith in his blood" (Romans 3:23, 25) that was shed on the cross. "Without shedding of blood is no remission" of sin (Hebrews 9:22). There can be no Christianity without the real death of the real, sinless Son of God.

It seems that the gospel writers, in recounting the events of the crucifixion, go to great lengths to make sure no one misunderstands. In Mark 15, for example, nearly 20 people are mentioned who no doubt would testify to His death. Consider the likely testimony of the Roman guards who had tortured Him to the point of death (vv. 15-23), nailed Him on the cross (v. 24), and watched Him die. The executioner (v. 25) and the centurion (vv. 39, 44-45) were trained in killing. They knew how to recognize death. The thieves (v. 27), the mocking passersby (v. 29), the chief priests and scribes (v. 31), the grave keepers (v. 46), all would have had no doubt. Pilate was convinced (vv. 44-45), as were His many friends who watched (vv. 40-41, 47).

There can be no doubt Christ surely died, and He died "to give his life a ransom for many" (Mark 10:45). JDM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:06am On Dec 03, 2017
The Urgency of Christ's Work
December 2, 2017

"I must work the works of Him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work" (John 9:4).

It is striking how often the Lord Jesus used the term "must" in connection with the different aspects of the work He came to do. Since He is our example, we also must be serious and urgent about our Father's work. Even as a boy in the temple, He told His parents, "I must be about my Father's business" (Luke 2:49).

Then early in His ministry, as He went from place to place, He said, "I must preach the kingdom of God to other cities also: for therefore am I sent" (Luke 4:43). Toward the end of His earthly ministry, He said one day, "I must walk to day, and to morrow, and the day following: for it cannot be that a prophet perish out of Jerusalem" (Luke 13:33). He also said to His disciples that "he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day" (Matthew 16:21).

He had told the great teacher of Israel, Nicodemus, "Ye must be born again." To explain how this could be, He then said, "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life" (John 3:7, 14-15). Before we could ever be born again to everlasting life, therefore, Christ must be lifted up on the cross to die for our sins.

Still, all "the scriptures must be fulfilled" (Mark 14:49), and accordingly, "he must rise again from the dead" (John 20:9). Yet, even this did not fully complete "the works of him that sent me," for Christ had said that "the gospel must first be published among all nations" (Mark 13:10). Therefore, we also must work the works of Him who sent us, before our days of opportunity are gone. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:31pm On Dec 03, 2017
The Divine Designer
December 3, 2017

"Who hath measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, and meted out heaven with the span, and comprehended the dust of the earth in a measure, and weighed the mountains in scales, and the hills in a balance?" (Isaiah 40:12).

The answer to this rhetorical question can only be God, the divine Designer of all the intricate interrelationships of His great creation. Four of the disciplines of natural science are implied here, and in each case a key principle of that science is anticipated.

The emphasis is on the precision of the divinely allocated quantities of each component. First, there is the precise balance of the waters of the earth between the oceans, rivers, groundwater, and atmospheric waters. Hydrology is the science of Earth’s waters, and life on Earth is dependent on the fine-tuning of the components of the hydrologic cycle. “He looketh to the ends of the earth. . . . To make the weight for the winds; and he weigheth the waters by measure” (Job 28:24-25).

The atmospheric heaven also has been carefully dimensioned in size and composition to make life possible, as formulated in the science of meteorology.

The "dust of the earth" is nothing less than the basic chemical elements out of which all things are made. The accuracy with which elements combine with each other is based on their valences, and all of this is involved in the study of chemistry. The principle of isostasy (“equal weights”) is the fundamental principle of the science of geophysics, involving the weights of mountains and hills, continents, and ocean basins.

God does not deal in chance and caprice, even with inanimate physical systems such as mountains and waters. Not even a sparrow can "fall on the ground without your Father" (Matthew 10:29). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:04am On Dec 04, 2017
Believing God
December 4, 2017

"Wherefore, sirs, be of good cheer: for I believe God, that it shall be even as it was told me" (Acts 27:25).

Most people believe in God—some kind of god—but it's a different thing altogether to believe God! And our text makes it clear that believing God simply means believing what He says, "that it shall be even as it was told me." Paul spoke these words at the height of a terrible storm at sea, when it appeared certain that "all hope that we should be saved was then taken away" (v. 20). But God had spoken otherwise, and Paul believed God rather than adopting the fears of those around him. Abraham, "the father of all them that believe" (Romans 4:11), had set the example. "He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform" (Romans 4:20-21).

God does not speak to us audibly today as He did to Abraham and Paul, but He does speak far more comprehensively to us through His written Word, and we have even less excuse for unbelief than they might have had. It is a terrible offense against our Creator to question His Word. This, indeed, was the very sin of pride that led to Satan's fall and then to the fall of Adam and Eve. "All scripture is given by inspiration of God [literally, 'is God-breathed']" (2 Timothy 3:16) and thus should be fully believed and explicitly obeyed, for "he that believeth not God hath made him a liar" (1 John 5:10).

But what about those Scriptures that modern scientists claim to be wrong? "Shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar" (Romans 3:3-4). "For the word of the Lord is right; and all his works are done in truth" (Psalm 33:4). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:50am On Dec 05, 2017
Forget Not His Commandments
December 5, 2017

"My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments" (Proverbs 3:1).

It is vitally important that even though we are saved by grace and not by the works of the law, we never forget that God's law is essentially a statement of God's holiness. We should desire to know and follow God's commandments simply because they are "holy, and just, and good" (Romans 7:12), not because we seek salvation through them.

It is noteworthy that the anonymous writer of the longest chapter in the Bible (Psalm 119), in which practically every verse refers to the Scriptures, stressed seven times that he would never forget the laws and commandments of his Lord. May the Lord teach us to share the same determination. Note:

"I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word" (v. 16).

“For I am become like a bottle in the smoke; yet do I not forget thy statutes” (v. 83).

"I will never forget thy precepts: for with them thou hast quickened me" (v. 93).

"My soul is continually in my hand: yet do I not forget thy law" (v. 109).

"I am small and despised: yet do not I forget thy precepts" (v. 141).

"Consider mine affliction, and deliver me: for I do not forget thy law" (v. 153).

"I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments" (v. 176).

This seventh reference is actually the closing verse of this remarkable 119th Psalm. It beautifully points up the urgency of not forgetting the commandments of God. He will seek us when we stray and bring us back home to Him, for we remember and love His law. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:12pm On Dec 06, 2017
Get Your Mind Ready
December 6, 2017

"Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ" (1 Peter 1:13).

We have been born again (1 Peter 1:3), Peter tells us, to an incorruptible inheritance in heaven (v. 4), which is secure (v. 5) even though the intervening time is difficult (vv. 6-7). Such a salvation as we have is both mysterious and hard to understand, pondered by both the saints of old (v. 10) and angels (v. 12). Yet, we have it with more complete understanding and fulfillment than even the prophets ever dreamed possible.

Our rightful response to this knowledge and experience is given in today’s verse. We are to "gird up the loins of [our] mind." Just as the flowing robes worn by the men of New Testament times had to be bundled up and tied at the waist to allow for rapid, unencumbered movement, so the Christian is expected to be ready to be on the move, to discipline his or her mind by the renouncing of all sinful and/or confining habits and attitudes.

To do so we must "be sober," be clear-headed, calm, and in control. We must "hope to the end," or more explicitly, "hope to the utmost degree" in our ultimate glorification at the return of Christ. The construction of "hope" implies a command to "fix our hope" on Him, a sure hope, not a wishful hope. This is the "grace that is brought [present tense] to the believer."

Furthermore, we must renounce "the former lusts in [our] ignorance" (v. 14), being "obedient children" of our Father.

It is not enough simply to eliminate sinful patterns from our lives. "But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy" (v. 15).

A mind that is disciplined and purified is ready for action and victory. JDM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:54am On Dec 07, 2017
Be Diligent
December 7, 2017

"And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge" (2 Peter 1:5).

The importance of diligence is urged by Peter as basic in the development of the seven other virtues listed by him—that is, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, godliness, brotherly kindness, charity—as vital additions to our faith. Diligence is seldom considered as a particular Christian attribute, but it is essential if we really desire to develop the other Christian virtues in our lives. They do not come by wishing or hoping. Peter also exhorts us to "give diligence to make your calling and election sure" (v. 10), and then to "be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless" (3:14).

Essentially the same Greek word is also translated "study" and "labour" and "endeavour." Paul commands, "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth" (2 Timothy 2:15). He beseeches us always to be "endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace" (Ephesians 4:3). We are even told to "labour therefore to enter into that rest" (Hebrews 4:11).

There are many other such exhortations in which Christian diligence is urged or shown in reference to other Christian virtues. There is one key verse, however, in which diligence itself is commanded as a Christian duty: "Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord" (Romans 12:11). Here the word "business" is the same as "diligence." That is, each Christian is commanded to "be diligent in diligence!"

Christian salvation is received solely by grace through faith. The Christian life, however, demands diligence. Can we not, as today's verse commands, give all diligence in our service to the Lord who gave His life for us? HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:16pm On Dec 09, 2017
Mt. Ararat and the Resurrection
December 8, 2017

"And the ark rested in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, upon the mountains of Ararat" (Genesis 8:4).

The story of Noah's preservation through the awful Flood has been recognized by all Bible students as a beautiful picture of the resurrection. It is, of course, a true story that actually happened the way the Bible describes, but it is also a beautiful analogy.

The Flood was sent as a judgment upon the sinful world of Noah's day (Genesis 6:5-7, 11-13, 17). The "wages of sin" (Romans 6:23) has always been death. But God provided a way of salvation (i.e., the Ark that Noah built) to those eight souls who believed, Noah and his family (Genesis 6:8-9, 14-16, 18-22).

Although the analogy is not perfect, it does beautifully illustrate the fact that the punishment for sin is still death and that God has provided a perfect way of salvation to those who believe in His Son Jesus Christ and in His death on the cross.

In that light, it is interesting to note the date in today's verse, which has great significance. The calendar was changed by God at the time of the Passover, another beautiful prefigure of Christ’s work. The seventh month became the first month (Exodus 12:2), and the Passover was to be observed on the fourteenth day of that month (v. 6) each year following. "Christ our passover" (1 Corinthians 5:7) was sacrificed for us on that day (John 19:14) and rose again the third day, the seventeenth day of the first (formerly the seventh) month.

This was the anniversary of the landing of Noah's Ark on the mountains of Ararat, providing its inhabitants new life following judgment of the world and its destruction because of sin. What a blessed picture of our new resurrection life based on Christ's death for our sins. JDM

For more . . . .

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Reverend Sister Leads Students Dance Group On Kiss Daniel's Music / Aloysius Nnamdi Ikegwuonu "Bishop" Who Built Attacked Ozubulu Catholic Church / Why Was The Book Of Enoch Removed From The Bible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 200
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.