Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,796 members, 7,820,794 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:47 PM

In Akwa Ibom, If U Cheat On ur husband, U Die. If He Dies, U Marry His Relative. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / In Akwa Ibom, If U Cheat On ur husband, U Die. If He Dies, U Marry His Relative. (1998 Views)

Motorcycle Made In Akwa Ibom, Nigeria / MUST READ: How Not To Become A Ghost When U Die. / Would U Tell Ur Husband If U Just Bought A New House Or Show Him Ur Properties? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Akwa Ibom, If U Cheat On ur husband, U Die. If He Dies, U Marry His Relative. by Nobody: 10:26am On Nov 30, 2013
A friend of mine got a marriage proposal from her BF. And these was part of the package.
His custom and tradition states that:

If she cheats on him, their gods called 'EkpoNkawo'(the Akwa Ibomites r familier wit it) will kill her, and he will marry another wife. But if he cheats, he lives.

If he dies and they had female, or no kids yet, she will have to marry his relative. But if she had a male child, she would chose to marry him, thereby remain single and alive.

If she has sex with any1 other than the chosen, the gods will 1st strike her with sickness, then death.

The relatives that she is to choose from, it doesn't matter if he has a wife already.

This got me thinking, at this age and time, such things do exist?
This guy is a christian but he believes in it so much.
My friend has rejected the proposal, and I support her. Or what do u think?
Re: In Akwa Ibom, If U Cheat On ur husband, U Die. If He Dies, U Marry His Relative. by lertee(f): 10:31am On Nov 30, 2013
That is the best thing to do,reject such man with his barbaric belief. The cheating aspect is not even the concern here afterall i wont expect her to cheat once she is married so no need to fear but the fact that she will be passed round from one brother to the other after her husband's death,God forbid.

1 Like

Re: In Akwa Ibom, If U Cheat On ur husband, U Die. If He Dies, U Marry His Relative. by Nobody: 10:37am On Nov 30, 2013
She was lucky that the guy told her these things, b4 she said " I do". Some lady don't even knw until there r in it already.
That's why it is always good to do an investigation b4 u go into any family. So u know what you are going into b4 u do.
Look past love and into ur future atimes.
If u want to stay faithful to a man, or single if u have the misfortune of becoming a widow, it should be ur personal decision, not becos u r afraid of something out there.
Why should this evil tradition affect the female alone?
Hmmm! God help us all.

1 Like

Re: In Akwa Ibom, If U Cheat On ur husband, U Die. If He Dies, U Marry His Relative. by Yemlizzy(f): 10:50am On Nov 30, 2013
Rityben: She was lucky that the guy told her these things, b4 she said " I do". Some lady don't even knw until there r in it already.
That's why it is always good to do an investigation b4 u go into any family. So u know what you are going into b4 u do.
Look past love and into ur future atimes.
If u want to stay faithful to a man, or single if u have the misfortune of becoming a widow, it should be ur personal decision, not becos u r afraid of something out there.
Why should this evil tradition affect the female alone?
Hmmm! God help us all.
Amen you hit the nail on the head! Such acts are inhuman and babaric.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

If You Have A Letter ‘M’ On The Palm Of Your Hand, THIS Is What It Means / Pure Wickedness; Picture Of People Skining Cow Alive / Check Out Pictures Of The Igbo Farm Village In Virginia, USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.