Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,243 members, 7,815,337 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:02 AM

Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship (1473 Views)

Daley Blind Completes Manutd Medicals / Manchester United Signs Daley Blind / Manchester United Agree Daley Blind Deal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship by Nobody: 8:31pm On Dec 02, 2013
(CNN) -- Tom Daley wanted the world to hear the truth straight from his mouth.
The 19-year-old diver, who was one of Britain's heart-throb poster-boys for the London 2012 Olympics, took to YouTube Monday to reveal he is in a relationship with a man.
After complaining that he had been misquoted in an interview over his sexuality, Daley recorded a five-minute clip before tweeting: "Got something I need to say...not been an easy decision to make, hope you can support me! smiley."
In the short video, he said: "In spring this year my life changed massively when I met someone, and they make me feel so happy, so safe and everything just feels great.

"That someone is a guy."
Earlier this year, in September, the London 2012 bronze medalist was voted the world's sexiest man by leading gay magazine, Attitude.
While Daley has always been cautious in commenting on his private life, he felt the time was right to make the revelation after being angered by quotes attributed to him in a recent interview.
He said: "One thing I consider to be pretty important is having a private life and you're probably thinking, 'Why did you do a book, why did you do a documentary?'
"In an ideal world I wouldn't be doing this video because it wouldn't matter, but recently I was misquoted in an interview and it made me feel really angry.
"For me honesty is important and I've always been honest. I may have been vague in some of my answers, but I've always been honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJwJnoB9EKw

"One thing I've never really felt that comfortable with talking about is relationships. I've never really had a serious relationship to talk about."
Daley said he has been dating the man for several months.
"It did take me by surprise a little bit," he said. "I did have in the back of my mind that something like that could happen.
"It wasn't until spring this year that something just clicked and felt right. My whole world just changed there and then.
"Of course I still fancy girls. Right now I'm dating a guy and couldn't be happier. I feel safe and it really does just feel right. People are going to have their own opinions and I think people are going to make a big deal about this.
"Is it a big deal? I don't think so. I wanted to say something and I feel like now I am ready to do it."

Daley shot to prominence in 2008 after reaching the finals of both the individual 10-meter platform and 10-meter platform synchro events at the Beijing Olympics at the age of 14.
He has since go on to establish himself as a celebrity both in and out of the diving arena, gaining over 2.4 million Twitter followers and even having his own television show in the UK, called "Splash."
His life in the public eye has not come without its problems.
Daley suffered bullying at school and was subjected to vile online abuse last year after placing fourth in the synchro event at London 2012, before bouncing back to stand on the podium in the individual competition.
He also lost his father Rob in 2011 following a five-year battle with cancer.
But Daley says his announcement would not have been a problem for his father, although he does concede there have been "mixed opinions" within his family.
"People think: what would your dad say? He always said to me, 'As long as you are happy, I'm happy.' And right now I couldn't be happier.

"My mum (Debbie) has been so supportive as well. All the friends and family I have told have been so supportive, which has been great.
"I told the rest of my family today, and let's just say they had mixed opinions. Lots of them did not believe it. Lots of them wanted me to keep it quiet.
"I didn't want to get my words twisted. I wanted to put an end to all the rumors and speculation, and just say it and tell you guys. It's what I want to do.
"My friends and family are always there to support me. And I hope you guys can be too. I mean I'm still Tom, I still want to win an Olympic gold medal in Rio 2016 for Great Britain. I am still as motivated as ever to do that. It would be great to have you guys on that journey, too."
Daley will now head to Houston, Texas, for the Team GB training camp until Christmas.
He follows other leading divers in making a public statement about their sexuality.
Australia's Matthew Mitcham announced he was homosexual before he won gold in Beijing, while four-time Olympic champion Greg Louganis came out as gay after quitting the sport in 1995.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/02/sport/tom-daley-dating-man-diving/index.html

2 Likes

Re: Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship by GSKing: 8:46pm On Dec 02, 2013
Problem is, dude doesn't give a sh*t about what people would say cool
To the super hot and rich diver, making it in life, winning medals and being happy is of utmost importance to him.
The guy has been making waves since today all around twitter...smiley

#proud of you bro!

3 Likes

Re: Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship by Illuminatus(m): 7:31pm On Dec 03, 2013
It was a surprise, and obviously a big deal. Homophobia is still on rampage in sports. I think people like this coming out helps young homosexual people to deal with their issues.
But personally, I won't do what he did if I was in his shoes.

1 Like

Re: Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship by Nobody: 8:31pm On Dec 03, 2013
Illuminatus: It was a surprise, and obviously a big deal. Homophobia is still on rampage in sports. I think people like this coming out helps young homosexual people to deal with their issues.
But personally, I won't do what he did if I was in his shoes.

Obviously he's surrounded by people who don't really see a big deal in being gay. Both family and friends, else I doubt if he would have come out. I always suspected though..

2 Likes

Re: Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship by Illuminatus(m): 8:53pm On Dec 03, 2013
masonkz:

Obviously he's surrounded by people who don't really see a big deal in being gay. Both family and friends, else I doubt if he would have come out. I always suspected though..
Yes. It's obvious he has loving understanding parents. But I'm a very private person, so I would never come out like this. Coming out is a private thing that I could do for family and friends.

2 Likes

Re: Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship by Nobody: 9:03pm On Dec 03, 2013
Illuminatus:
Yes. It's obvious he has loving understanding parents. But I'm a very private person, so I would never come out like this. Coming out is a private thing that I could do for family and friends.

True.
Re: Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship by HezronLorraine(m): 1:13am On Dec 04, 2013
Hmmm.*knocks to enter thread*.Hi everyone.Hope you got my messages.Which one of you is giving me a blow by blow account of all I missed.Off to me diary.Buzz when you wake.

2 Likes

Re: Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship by Vivly(f): 1:17am On Dec 04, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: Hmmm.*knocks to enter thread*.Hi everyone.Hope you got my messages.Which one of you is giving me a blow by blow account of all I missed.Off to me diary.Buzz when you wake.
Hezron lorraine welcome back.

2 Likes

Re: Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship by Gudintent: 1:23am On Dec 04, 2013
Whoever said God does not exist!
He is a miracle working God!
Welcome back Hez! grin

I do have a hundred questions, but I'll let you settle in first *hugzz* smiley

1 Like

Re: Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship by hunter21(m): 1:46am On Dec 04, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: Hmmm.*knocks to enter thread*.Hi everyone.Hope you got my messages.Which one of you is giving me a blow by blow account of all I missed.Off to me diary.Buzz when you wake.
HEZRON!!!!!! where the hell have you being?

1 Like

Re: Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship by GSKing: 2:28am On Dec 04, 2013
If only we can be witches overnight, we'll cage you so you won't disappear again...

Glad to have you back...smiley
Re: Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship by GSKing: 2:56am On Dec 04, 2013
So we can now LIKE people's profile picture on Nairaland.cheesy

Thumbs up Seun, Wonderful development!

Prepare for the LIKE RAIN!!!
Re: Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship by GSKing: 2:59am On Dec 04, 2013
Gudintent: Whoever said God does not exist!
He is a miracle working God!
Welcome back Hez! grin

I do have a hundred questions, but I'll let you settle in first *hugzz* smiley
Me, I said it... He doesn't exist!grin

*runs back to bed*
Re: Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship by HezronLorraine(m): 6:42am On Dec 04, 2013
Funny questions @everyone.Thanks guys.I really appreciate it.

Vivly:How are things going with you?

Gudintent:I missed you so much.Hope you're good.

Hunter2,1:how are you,how's school,hope you're doing good too?

GSKing:I'll try giving you answers when I post in my diary.Feel free to still ask me.

My best friend hasn't woken up@Masonkz.I know he missed me the most.I missed him too.

I'm still exhausted,may take a while for a diary update.I promise not to leave out the smallest detail.Thanks guys,it's a pleasure having you around.Love you all.

5 Likes

Re: Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship by Illuminatus(m): 7:00am On Dec 04, 2013
Hey, Hez (does this make sense or should I just write in full?). Welcome back. Obviously you were missed. Hope everybody's gotten better?
Re: Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship by Illuminatus(m): 7:04am On Dec 04, 2013
GSKing: So we can now LIKE people's profile picture on Nairaland.cheesy

Thumbs up Seun, Wonderful development!

Prepare for the LIKE RAIN!!!
It seems like a waste of time and resources to me. What happens when you remove the picture? And worse, I can't be certain who exactly liked the photo!
Re: Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship by Nobody: 8:07am On Dec 04, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: Funny questions @everyone.Thanks guys.I really appreciate it.

Vivly:How are things going with you?

Gudintent:I missed you so much.Hope you're good.

Hunter2,1:how are you,how's school,hope you're doing good too?

GSKing:I'll try giving you answers when I post in my diary.Feel free to still ask me.

My best friend hasn't woken up@Masonkz.I know he missed me the most.I missed him too.

I'm still exhausted,may take a while for a diary update.I promise not to leave out the smallest detail.Thanks guys,it's a pleasure having you around.Love you all.

Osheeeeeeeeeeeee.

Welcome back bro. Got your mail and still very sorry about the turn out of events. You missed my bday though. angry angry

Still wishing you, your family and Uche well. We'd have reasons to celebrate. smiley

Abeg Nairaland is about to SHAKE!! . grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship by Nobody: 8:11am On Dec 04, 2013
Hezron it's good to finally have you back. Welcome

2 Likes

Re: Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship by HezronLorraine(m): 10:36pm On Dec 04, 2013
masonkz:

Osheeeeeeeeeeeee.

Welcome back bro. Got your mail and still very sorry about the turn out of events. You missed my bday though. angry angry

Still wishing you, your family and Uche well. We'd have reasons to celebrate. smiley

Abeg Nairaland is about to SHAKE!! . grin grin
of all things I missed your birthday this is sad angry.I remember I planned on writing you the sweetest poem and give you a nairaland blast.pray I have the time,I still would.

Thanks for the prayers,much appreciated,with God,things will turn out well.

1 Like

Re: Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship by HezronLorraine(m): 11:02pm On Dec 04, 2013
stoned: Hezron it's good to finally have you back.
Welcome
Yeah.I know,thanks.
IIIuminatus: Hey, Hez (does this make sense or should I
just write in full?). Welcome back. Obviously
you were missed. Hope everybody's gotten
better?

Thanks a lot.
Re: Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship by brethart: 11:42pm On Dec 04, 2013
It's a gud one for him and the lgbt world cos he could serve as a source of inspiration for others having the problem of accepting their sexuality and living their dream life.... But to be honest I would have done that maybe when am about to retire....
@hezron....welcome back..... Hope all is well now....
Re: Tom Daley: Olympic Diver Reveals He Is In A Gay Relationship by HezronLorraine(m): 11:44pm On Dec 04, 2013
bret hart: It's a gud one for him and the lgbt world cos he could serve as a source of inspiration for others having the problem of accepting their sexuality and living their dream life.... But to be honest I would have done that maybe when am about to retire....
@hezron....welcome back..... Hope all is well now....
Thanks.All is going to be.

(1) (Reply)

See What Happened When Lionel Messi Followed Chelsea On Instagram / Europe's Top 12 League Goal Scorers This Season / Stephen Kechi Is Confirmed Dead!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.