Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

I Don't Think Every Flagship Device Needs To Have A Big Screen - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / I Don't Think Every Flagship Device Needs To Have A Big Screen (449 Views)

Why Should I Get A Smartphone With A Big Screen? / Bluboo Xfire2: The First Ever Android Phone With 3 Sim Slots And Big Screen / Tecno Phantom 5: Tecno’s 2015 Flagship Device Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Don't Think Every Flagship Device Needs To Have A Big Screen by Techdisqus: 4:03am On Dec 03, 2013
Several months after Samsung's Galaxy Note 2 was released into the wild, the rumors about the device's successor started to swirl across the nether-regions of the internet, but it didn't take long for them to get picked up and circulated. There's nothing surprising there, though. Rumors and speculation are a common courtesy here in our line of work. And the Galaxy Note 3 rumors themselves weren't all that surprising, either.

We heard about faster processors, better cameras, thirteen (exaggeration) different models, metal and glass, and a loss of AMOLED displays. We heard it all. One of the more common pieces of speculation was the display size, though. We kept seeing the reports go back and forth: the Galaxy Note 3 will have the same size display as the Galaxy Note II, or the Galaxy Note 3 will have a display that's actually quite a bit bigger than its predecessor.

For obvious reasons, I saw a lot of unrest with those latter rumors. At 5.5-inches, the Galaxy Note II's display was plenty big already, and if Samsung was honestly thinking of making it "quite a bit bigger," well, that seemed almost pointless. Thankfully, though, Samsung didn't go too crazy with the size increase, and bumped the Galaxy Note 3 up to 5.7-inches.

Not bad.

We've embraced big screens in the mobile market. It's just something that's happened, and while the adoption rate has increased, many manufacturers have jumped on the bandwagon. LG, HTC, and many others all have their own versions of devices with big display. And, in most cases, it looks like many of them are looking towards the bigger display size as the "go-to size." Meaning, as we move into 2014, we may see the 4.x-inch display size thin out considerably.

Back in November, while rumors about HTC's M8 device were spinning at a constant rate, I asked all of you what you thought HTC could do to top the One. I was happy to see that not a lot of people thought a bigger display would do the trick. At 4.7-inches, the One is plenty big already, and it has one of the best displays on the market.

But, the rumors of HTC's next flagship device suggest a different tactic from HTC. According to the reports that have surfaced of the unannounced unicorn device, HTC's not going to keep the screen size the same, but instead make it bigger. It could be anywhere between 5- to 5.2-inches.

It won't be the biggest phone on the market, but it is a sizable increase from the One. And it goes to show that manufacturers are finding that a 5-inch phone seems to be the perfect size for the mass market.

I wish I could agree.

I honestly don't think a flagship device needs a huge display. While I've grown accustomed to using the 5.7-inch display on the Galaxy Note 3, I certainly don't think it's the perfect display size for me. In fact, I think the One's 4.7-inch display is the perfect size and I'd honestly be okay with the display staying the asme size, as long as the company figured out a way to make the already great display even better.

Admittedly, there's something nice about a phone that's super thin and has a big display, but not because of the display itself. Simply because it's amazing how big it doesn't feel, courtesy of the decreased profile. I think it's a great leap in technology. But that doesn't mean I want every flagship out there to have a thin frame and a huge display.

I'm obviously in the minority here (not counting iPhone fans, mind you), but hopefully I can find some like-minded folks around here. Do you think all flagship devices should have a big display? Or do you think a flagship device with a 4.7-inch display is big enough? Does every device need to be 5-inches or bigger these days? Let me know what you think.

Kindly follow us to keep yourself updated on all the latest tech news on:
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TechDisqus,
Google+: http://www.plus.google.com/+techdisquss
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/techdisquss

(1) (Reply)

Cost Of Maintaining A Bb Or Android / Customer Service Agents / Lets Discuss Htc One X Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.