Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,485 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:03 PM

BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR (3142 Views)

8 / 10 Year Old Nigerian Math Genius, Esther Okade Plans To Build A Bank By Age 15 / Be A Math Genius / do calculations without calculator ..(6 tips) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR by Nobody: 4:58pm On Dec 03, 2013
I was wondering why most of Asian kids do better in math and sciences during most international competitions, with my little research on other people and myself I've discovered that one could actually do most mathematical calculations with less/no use of calculator....am i saying that i don't use calculator?.(hell No!!! But not frequently) off course i know calculator where made to safe time and energy and for accuracy , but so some folks (students) have become too use to the calculator that ordinary 8x8 (64) they cant do except with calculator.
A friend of mine told me that, when he went for his p/ume at uniben,("use of calculator, not allowed) during the exams, the person that sat next to him was asking him the result of 6 x4 (24) hmm just imagine that, and he's aspiring to study engineering o , it's really funny..indeed..("could this be exam tension? Probably)

OK, Here are some tips that could be of help to any one who whish to do mathematical calculations with relatively less use of calculator and for exam sake & be a math genius.

1.] LEARN/MEMORISE FORMULAS .
One of my lecturer told us that, before we graduate, we should know at least 2000 formulas, hmm (kinda impossible abi?... Not really) we gat powerful brain that could memorize almost anything and not just memorising but knowing how to derive/prove it, it really helps when you know so many formulas (especially when the question is straight forward) and not only that, but applying that formulae to different questions (as you know every real life problem have different ways of solving)

2..] REGULAR PRACTICE
During my secondary school days, one my math teacher will say, "solve without thinking" , sounds insane right? , what he actually meant was for us to be able know mathematics to the extend we could attempt the question without thinking much (just within seconds we know what the question is saying and how the final answer will look like.).

when you learn something new in math,try to know different methods that could be used to solve different problems,try to know quicker and more accurate way of solving a given problem, then practice and practice and practice
until it becomes part of you (maybe even in your dreams you could still solve the same problem), solve as many exercises as your hands can lay on,if you come across a "pretty tough" problem,and after much trial but not getting it right, be humble enough to meet your friend or someone else with higher knowledge in math than yourself to put you through, then learn from your mistakes..and keep practising.

3..] TIME YOURSELF
..when i read about Philip, a Nigerian icon , how he finished an hour math exams in less than half the time(i think, 5mins) and had a perfect score , i almost didn't believe, i know many people wont, either so did his teachers then in his basic school days, some claim he was using magic and all sort..("dono o, only read it)

When i was in sss1, i start timing myself,
i was solving problems on quadratic equation, gat about 40 of them,since i have learnt different methods of solving and was getting it right, i then say let me try and solve some of the exercise in less than half the time , at first i solved about 10 in 6mins,(with 96% accuracy) i was not satisfied with my time.., then i continued , solved about 16 more in less than 10min (with about 90% accuracy) all without using calculator that was when i began to develop on my speed and accuracy, even when i got to the university, i finished a 1hr 30mins maths exams(MA105 , Trig.) in less than 20mins (no joke, no lies no pride) and got more than 90%,.....

4..] TALK LESS /THINK MORE:
Most real genius don't talk much , to really be a maths genius, you must learn to discipline your tongue , Cause the more you talk , the less you assimilate / build up your creativity & IQ , i was a victim till a realized the above point .

5..] G-FACTOR:
..."EXCEPT GOD BUILDS A HOUSE , IN VAIN IS THE WORK OF THE LABOURERS , EXCEPT GOD WATCHES A CITY , THE WATCHMEN 'S EFFORT IS INFINITESIMAL ...."

see, whether you like it or not , God remains the giver of life & knowledge ( he's omniscience ) .
most scientist /mathematicians got their inspiration /ideas from God , so pray to him & trust him even in your academics (...trust in the lord with all your heart , and not unto your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him & he shall direct your path .

6..] KILL THE PRIDE :
The mark of a true hero is humility. To be frank with you , you may be a "genius" been proud /egoistic , but only for a shot time neither you make substantial impact/impact in your immediate environ & generations to come , you hardly get to learn much , people get to hate you & they hardly will share useful information with you ,

there was this friend of mine , real math genius , when he was in secondary school , one of my mine aunt then in a higher institution was given an assignment on calculus, which she didn't know how to solve , tried & tried ,no way took it to some folks ,still no green light , then suggested she should show that my friend but said this is advance level stuff oo , how could a secondary school dude know the solution. (you see pride ? ) but she later did & to her surprise he devoured the question with confirm solution , since she always humbled herself to learn from him .

those worked/ is working for me
you could try too.

Hope this little write up impart,

please add more tips that would be of help....
thanks for your time
1love.

1 Like

Re: BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR by Nobody: 7:37pm On Dec 03, 2013
@smurfy, contribute on this please.
Re: BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR by Nobody: 7:38pm On Dec 03, 2013
One thing I've noticed in this write-up of yours is how well you've been affected positively by your secondary school maths teacher. I think you owe him a lot for pointing you in the right direction.

I wish I had your luck...

But unfortunately, I've never been blessed with a good maths teacher. I still remember my female maths teacher in JSS1. This woman never went beyond the examples in the textbook. We all knew she was just going through the motions. One fateful day, we decided to 'stretch' her. So we gave her a question to solve. You can imagine the rest.

I was really bad in maths! I once lost a year at school for failing a simple multiplication question! I still remember standing before the principal of my new school, with my sister by my side. 'You are not good enough for our SS2 class,' he said.

That incident changed everything...

I bought textbooks, solved questions, solved questions, solved questions...

Actually, I went back to the basics first. When I say basics I mean multiplication table!

I solved questions so much that I literally didn't touch maths while preparing for WAEC.

Oh, I almost forgot to tell you that I pounced on Physics, maths best friend, shortly after flooring maths.

I passed all.

I learnt a lot of life lessons from all this. But the chiefest lesson I learnt is this: With determination, we can achieve almost anything!

Needless to say that I still love solving maths till today.
Re: BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR by Olastep1(m): 7:49pm On Dec 03, 2013
Awesome writeup.

Personally, i do try to be my calculator and it helps. Anyway, i'l do my best to actualise most, if not all, of the above points. Thank you very much
Re: BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR by Nobody: 8:32pm On Dec 03, 2013
Olastep1: Awesome writeup.

Personally, i do try to be my calculator and it helps. Anyway, i'l do my best to actualise most, if not all, of the above points. Thank you very much
..you're always welcome bro..
Re: BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR by Nobody: 10:18pm On Dec 03, 2013
smurfy: One thing I've noticed in this write-up of yours is how well you've been affected positively by your secondary school maths teacher. I think you owe him a lot for pointing you in the right direction.

I wish I had your luck...

But unfortunately, I've never been blessed with a good maths teacher. I still remember my female maths teacher in JSS1. This woman never went beyond the examples in the textbook. We all knew she was just going through the motions. One fateful day, we decided to 'stretch' her. So we gave her a question to solve. You can imagine the rest.

I was really bad in maths! I once lost a year at school for failing a simple multiplication question! I still remember standing before the principal of my new school, with my sister by my side. 'You are not good enough for our SS2 class,' he said.

That incident changed everything...

I bought textbooks, solved questions, solved questions, solved questions...

Actually, I went back to the basics first. When I say basics I mean multiplication table!

I solved questions so much that I literally didn't touch maths while preparing for WAEC.

Oh, I almost forgot to tell you that I pounced on Physics, maths best friend, shortly after flooring maths.

I passed all.

I learnt a lot of life lessons from all this. But the chiefest lesson I learnt is this: With determination, we can achieve almost anything!

Needless to say that I still love solving maths till today.
..hmm, believe me,it was in ss1 that i start to be serious with my books oo..i use to be the rough and playful type, but thanks to my mum , and my math teacher who used "iron hands" on me untill math finds it way in me....
Re: BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR by Calculusfx: 11:06pm On Dec 03, 2013
I think master smurfy and I had the same problem...my female maths teacher in sec.school new nothing,she was a dollop head,nothing was inside...when another department gave her a question she could not solve,she would direct them to we science student that we would do it...despite all these.i started my maths trick in ss2,i taught many people,my mates,my juniors and my teachers(student,i mean the teaching practice teachers)...when I did my jamb's lesson,i could do anything without calculator,all trig.functions and and their inverses to the extent that people didn't know my name but CALCULATOR....oga smurfy and ben have almost said it all.
*another factor is this
.some people don't teach others just because they want to be best.but,i want you to know this that the more you teach,the more you know...
THUMBS UP BEN,1 LOVE
Re: BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR by Nobody: 7:05am On Dec 04, 2013
^^yes boss..on point.
Re: BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR by Nobody: 1:49pm On Dec 04, 2013
Re: BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR by Calculusfx: 10:35pm On Dec 04, 2013
Oga ben...let make this thread lively.what can we learn from you
Re: BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR by Esiri111(m): 7:38am On Dec 05, 2013
There are simple ways to do it !
my chemistry lecturer gave us some hints
for,example to multiply any number by 19 , just ad 0 to the end of the number and multiply by 2, then subtract the number from the solution
take for example
45x19
add 0 to 45
=450
multiply by 2
450x2=900
subtract 45 from 900
900-45=855
that it !
test it with your calculator
45x19=855

more coming soon @ www.iconapex.tk/maths-tips
Re: BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR by Nobody: 8:01am On Dec 05, 2013
Esiri111: There are simple ways to do it !
for,example to multiply any number by 19 , just ad 0 to the end of the number and multiply by 2, then subtract the number from the solution
take for example
45x19
add 0 to 45
=450
multiply by 2
450x2=900
subtract 45 from 900
900-45=855
that it !
test it with your calculator
45x19=855

more coming soon @ www.iconapex.tk/maths-tips
...nice 1 bruv,
also 19x45 =450+ (9x45) =450+405=855

hence 19xn =n'0' + 9n
Re: BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR by Nobody: 8:04am On Dec 05, 2013
Calculusf(x):
...like what?
Re: BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR by Nobody: 8:05am On Dec 05, 2013
Calculusf(x):
hmm, like what sir.?
Re: BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR by Nobody: 10:12am On Dec 06, 2013
Re: BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR by Nobody: 10:16am On Dec 06, 2013
great work from you bro...i really love this ur topic o...this is a good initiative...more ink to ur pen, more wisdom and knowlege to ur brain...i hope to learn sometin new evryday 4rm dis thread. welldone sir.
Re: BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR by Nobody: 3:14pm On Dec 07, 2013
Check "how to calculate quickly and corectly in mathematics"
Re: BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR by Nobody: 10:42am On Dec 20, 2013
follow this link
Re: BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR by Nobody: 10:44am On Dec 20, 2013
Re: BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR by MrCalculus(m): 11:21pm On Dec 29, 2013
hmm........i have never taking dis thing called maths magic really serious but i think i'm beginning to like it.
Re: BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR by MrCalculus(m): 11:37am On Dec 30, 2013
i guess everybody has his or her dfficiency it is just a matter of how we deal with it.
Re: BE A MATH GENIUS /CALCULATOR by Nobody: 3:42pm On Dec 31, 2013
Mr Calculus: i guess everybody has his or her dfficiency it is just a matter of how we deal with it.
..ur ryt bruv..

(1) (Reply)

Auchi Polytechnic Part Time Form On Sale Now. / How To Check Aug/sept GCE Result | 2nd Series Result Is Out / Kwarapoly Cut-off Marks For 2019/2020 Post-utme [departmental]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.