Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,742 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

When People Sneeze, Why Do Other People Say, Bless You? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / When People Sneeze, Why Do Other People Say, Bless You? (736 Views)

Is It Right To Say BLESS GOD? / Do Humans Have The Ability To Bless Or Curse Others? / Who Is In The Best Position To Bless You; Your Parents Or Pastor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When People Sneeze, Why Do Other People Say, Bless You? by eyenCalabar(m): 3:16pm On Dec 04, 2013
Certain things happen that beat my imaginations everyday in Nigeria. I've noticed this for a long time and even you have too. When people sneeze, others around would say bless you. What does this mean exactly? How did this come about? I don't just understand and I don't say it. What do you have to say about this? And what do you used to say to anyone that sneezes around you?
Re: When People Sneeze, Why Do Other People Say, Bless You? by eyenCalabar(m): 3:16pm On Dec 04, 2013
For me, I'll just tell the person calm down cheesy
Re: When People Sneeze, Why Do Other People Say, Bless You? by made2fit(f): 7:33pm On Dec 04, 2013
LoI. Sneezing is a sign of life. When people are unconscious or ill, sneezing shows that the person has regained consciousness. Its even biblical. When Elisha laid his body on the shunamite woman's son, he sneezed 7times when he revived.
In the olden days, when people sneeze, they say "life to you" (I know dis cos I read a historical book). I think that over the years cos of consciousness of Christianity, people changed it to "Bless you" equating life with the blessing of God.

1 Like

Re: When People Sneeze, Why Do Other People Say, Bless You? by eyenCalabar(m): 9:27pm On Dec 04, 2013
made2fit: LoI. Sneezing is a sign of life. When people are unconscious or ill, sneezing shows that the person has regained consciousness. Its even biblical. When Elisha laid his body on the shunamite woman's son, he sneezed 7times when he revived.
In the olden days, when people sneeze, they say "life to you" (I know dis cos I read a historical book). I think that over the years cos of consciousness of Christianity, people changed it to "Bless you" equating life with the blessing of God.

This is completely new to my ears o

(1) (Reply)

The Heavens Do Rule! / Today Is Christmas In Ethiopia! / "What Should We Learn From The Life Of James, The Brother Of Jesus?"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.