Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,438 members, 7,819,609 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

Does Fulanis Flog A Husband-to-be Before He Is Allowed To Marry Their Daughter? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Does Fulanis Flog A Husband-to-be Before He Is Allowed To Marry Their Daughter? (799 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Wedding Invitation & Details,To Marry Wuraola Obanor Next Saturday / Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis / 8 Reasons Why You Meet Few Hausa/Fulanis In The Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Fulanis Flog A Husband-to-be Before He Is Allowed To Marry Their Daughter? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Dec 06, 2013
I have heard this story countless of time but i have not been opportuned to meet anybody who is a fulani or married to a fulani.
Re: Does Fulanis Flog A Husband-to-be Before He Is Allowed To Marry Their Daughter? by Fulaman198(m): 10:46pm On Dec 06, 2013
Pinopinoguy: I have heard this story countless of time but i have not been opportuned to meet anybody who is a fulani or married to a fulani.

It depends on the Fulani sub group. Not all Fulani cultures are the same.
Re: Does Fulanis Flog A Husband-to-be Before He Is Allowed To Marry Their Daughter? by Nobody: 7:43am On Dec 07, 2013
Fulaman198:

It depends on the Fulani sub group. Not all Fulani cultures are the same.
ok,but do you knwo if any of the sub groups flog?
Re: Does Fulanis Flog A Husband-to-be Before He Is Allowed To Marry Their Daughter? by Salym(m): 8:39am On Dec 07, 2013
They have a culture called 'sharu' in which a young man will be flogged and the next year the other one will flog the person who flogged him the previous year. They use it to measure who is the most courageous man.
Re: Does Fulanis Flog A Husband-to-be Before He Is Allowed To Marry Their Daughter? by Nobody: 11:34am On Dec 07, 2013
Salym: They have a culture called 'sharu' in which a young man will be flogged and the next year the other one will flog the person who flogged him the previous year. They use it to measure who is the most courageous man.
ok,but anything like flogging someone who intends to marry their daughter befor he is allowed to get married to her?
Re: Does Fulanis Flog A Husband-to-be Before He Is Allowed To Marry Their Daughter? by Fulaman198(m): 3:08pm On Dec 07, 2013
Pinopinoguy:
ok,but anything like flogging someone who intends to marry their daughter befor he is allowed to get married to her?

What Saly said is true Sharu happens at around age 12/13. In my Fulani society no such things as you described takes place like that.
Re: Does Fulanis Flog A Husband-to-be Before He Is Allowed To Marry Their Daughter? by Fulaman198(m): 3:10pm On Dec 07, 2013
Pinopinoguy:
ok,but do you knwo if any of the sub groups flog?

Not to my knowledge. Flogging to enter manhood happens within Fulani groups in Rep.Benin, Rep.Niger, Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad, and possibly Mali.
Re: Does Fulanis Flog A Husband-to-be Before He Is Allowed To Marry Their Daughter? by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 3:11pm On Dec 07, 2013
grin
Re: Does Fulanis Flog A Husband-to-be Before He Is Allowed To Marry Their Daughter? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Dec 07, 2013
Fulaman198:

What Saly said is true Sharu happens at around age 12/13. In my Fulani society no such things as you described takes place like that.
thanks so much for enlighntening me.

1 Like

Re: Does Fulanis Flog A Husband-to-be Before He Is Allowed To Marry Their Daughter? by Fulaman198(m): 3:25pm On Dec 07, 2013
Pinopinoguy:
thanks so much for enlighntening me.

Sharu is a ritual to enter manhood, it is a ritual of endurance.

(1) (Reply)

3,000-year-old Golden Bowl Hides A Grisly Archaeological Tale / Please Ooo Is This Proverb Good To Go??? / Almost All Akwa Ibom Names Have 'K' Somewhere. Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.