Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,489 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:41 PM

Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce (2646 Views)

Album Review: Psquare Double Trouble. / Reminisce – BUY “alaga Ibile” + Daddy F. Davido / Alaga Ibile!!! Reminisce Toh Bad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce by tnature: 6:01pm On Dec 06, 2013
[img]http://2.bp..com/-79PpQ1Hj6AE/UqH2MKLgoKI/AAAAAAAABdo/R8p6Ey2wfYY/s640/422c891c04f5027f3e5ff59dbb267151.jpeg[/img]

I really did not want to review Reminisce's album because it would force me to compare his with Olamide's since both albums are within the same indigenous rap genre.

Olamide is no doubt a master at this art right now and every other indigenous rapper out there has a tall order to fulfill; and I am talking "Reminisce", "Lord of Ajasa", Seriki and Jhybo (the four I can remember right now). Olamide's 21 track album killed every quarter of rap; hardcore, commercial, floetry...it should definitely be nominated as album of the year.

One thing I would assure you is that with this album comes less dancing and grooving; you will have to pay attention to the connotations to appreciate Reminisce on most of the tracks.

Let me say once again, this is an evaluation after a couple of listens and you should also note that i did not consider the fact that certain songs kind of grow on one after a while. Alright, come along....

1. Intro: Reminisce "Remilekun Khalid Shafaru" introduces himself shooting straight up vibes over a near perfect hip-hop production by Sossick. As always, Reminisce displays his marvelous skill at word play, oscillating freely between English and Yoruba in a pleasant kind of way. Reminds me of the Intro on Dagrin's album "Ghetto Dreams"…7/10

2. Government Ft Olamide and Endia. One of the tracks released pre-album and I jammed this song loud in my car when I first heard it on NotJustok. Talk about rappers going hard on a track, here it is. I enjoy rap when I can understand it and I don't have to pick up a lyrical dictionary to relate. That's exactly what Olamide and Reminisce did on this track. Endia provides the "ragamuffin" flavor on his own verse….They killed it! 9/10

3. Sunkere. Reminisce first attempt at getting us off our seats and taking to the dance floor. The track was produced by DeeVee, same guy that produced Dbanj's "Raise Your Glasses." I think it is a decent track over a very rich beat. But also note that some of the lyrics are definitely 18+ if you understand what he is saying! I like the way "Reminisce" masks profanity metaphorically. This in my opinion is his strength. 7/10

4. Fantasi. Beat is very similar to "Kako bi chicken" with similar sounds but combined differently. The high points of the song is definitely in the drums. Super production by Sarz, I must say. 7/10

5. Eleniyan Ft Wizkid. Again profanity all the way by Reminisce but we won't forget that Wizkid graces this track and there is hardly any song out there with a hook by Wizkid that does not become a jam. At this point, I kind of felt I was hearing the delivery on the verses by Reminisce. (there was a meaningless bridge by Wizkid somewhere on the track though) 7/10

6. Turn It Around Ft Sossick. Listen to Sossick on this track and it would bring back sweet memories of Dagrin and his CEO album. Reminisce takes us on a lyrical journey telling us about his highs and lows within the musical industry in Nigeria and how things turned around for him, but I felt the track did not have a hold on me, it was drab without picking my attention either in lyrics or sound. 6/10

7. Swagu Ft Oba Dice. Ok Oba dice has a voice like Olamide and delivery like Dagrin….in fact, I had to play his verse over and over again. It is an "Ok" track but I really did not think it was over the top, and again we hear "the gucci bellit" and "nike canvas" punchline. 6/10

8. Buga Ft Naeto C. I was particularly interested in this track because it had Naeto C on it. I was hoping the alliance would have been super like "Ako mi ti poju" (NaetoC Ft. Dagrin). Well……krunk style beat with rich bass drums must have forced a different rap style from Reminisce and I liked it because all the tracks were beginning to sound alike. 7/10

9. 3rd world Thug. Reggae flavor blended with hip-hop. Sound was superb in my opinion and again floetry that blends English and Yoruba very well. I think reminisce should start giving his tracks a theme and the verses should be tailored towards that theme, that way he can stay away from speaking about yahoo-yahoo boys, and girls on all his track. I can imagine what a Jesse Jagz or even Endia would do with such a rich beat. 6/10

10. Ife. The gangster sings about love in a very traditional way, and I even hear some Igbo lines on the track which I think is an effort worthy of mention. My favorite line "ti ife wa ba dalu, a maa patch e" 7/10

11. Agidigbo. I love it!!!!!! If you have ever witnessed live Juju bands playing, then you would appreciate this track. When a rapper ventures out of the regular once in a while to do something different, just like Olamide going in on that makossa track; this is Reminisce doing "juju"…..nice! Listen to the sweet sounding piano typical of a KWAM 1 master piece. 8/10

12. Fela. On a first listen, I thought the beat was produced by Sarz but Alas, top quality production by Sossick and a sweet sing along chorus and pay particular attention to the horns at play on that beat too. A decent track all together in my opinion… 7/10

13.Daddy Ft Davido. The most danceable track off this album and I can see why a lot of people consider it their favorite. Nigerians can like groove...as long as they can dance and empty bottles of liquor. Davido with his signature coarse voice on the track makes a jam out of this track.7/10

14. Rude boy ft Burna Content wise, this is my favorite on the album; not neccesarily cos it makes sense in itself but because its a dancehall beat and the lyrics is what it typical of dancehall; then the song exploded with Burnaboy's line and we must not forget thr joint was produced by Sossick. 8/10

15. love-vendor by blood I've heard something similar off the "Get Rich or Die Trying" album by 50 Cent. I like the beat though, Reminisce of course continues with his lascivious rap lines....7/10

16. Igboro I loved this joint! Sarz killed the beat as always; and the chorus is a super sing along. "Won ni mon bleach, freshing"...lol (by the way, he mentioned my hood back in Nigeria, Igbogbo, Ikorodu). 8/10

This is definitely a decent album both there have been other albums that gives it a run for it's money this year; Baddest Guy Ever Liveth, Jag Nation and even Merchants, Dealer and Slaves.

Olamide gave us themed tracks on his album, and his lyrics tailored to those tracks which kept him from repeating punchlines and methods of delivery which I think was the flaw on this album.

Jesse Jagz Nation was an epitome of poetic creation, he employed top notch poetic techniques on that album far above the reach of any Nigerian artiste right now.

Merchants and Slaves showed the depths of Brymo's mind and what goes on in there. These were super albums and deserve all the accolades out there. But if its the Nigeria I know, we definitely prefer noise than music..........

Source - http://www.infonubia.com/2013/12/reminesce-alaga-ibile-album-review.html
Re: Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce by horlajide: 7:12pm On Dec 06, 2013
Excerpts from your post
...and every other indigenous rapper out there has a tall order to fulfill; and I am talking "Reminisce"...
For the record, Reminisce doesn't really approve being labelled "an indigenous" rapper. He had a mixtape way back which he effortlessly rapped in English all through. He's versatile than many think. I'd suggest you listen to Naeto's track (Owu no dey touch) where he briefly addresses this.

One thing I would assure you is that with this album comes less dancing and grooving
True. Heard him(Reminisce) say he "wanted to do him" on the album hence less of the "Kako bi chicken" kinda music which are more like the commercial songs

2. Government Ft Olamide and Endia. One of the tracks released pre album….They killed it! 9/10
I agree in totality. Probably the track on the album with the most depth, lyrically. It is a track that is too rich, lyrically, to waste. Its no wonder it was included in the album even after it was released many months before the album was released. We can see the great alliance with Olamide, the connection is evident. BTW I also think Endia (along with the Grip boiz,Yung L in particular are underrated in the industry)

3. Sunkere. 7/10
I'll be honest here. I wasn't impressed. I'd prolly rate it somewhere between 5 and 6embarassed

5. Eleniyan Ft Wizkid.
...There is hardly any song out there with a hook by Wizkid that does not become a jam.
I agree, but thankfully I'm happy I wasnt the only one who noticed that »
(there was a meaningless bridge by Wizkid somewhere on the track though)
I would pardon Wizkid though, as its obvious, "meaningful" or thought provoking lyrics has never been his strength

7. Swagu Ft Oba Dice.

I agree when you say
Oba dice has a ... delivery like Dagrin
However what I won't agree to is that
Oba dice has a voice like Olamide

8. Buga Ft Naeto C.. I was hoping the alliance would have been super like "Ako mi ti poju" (NaetoC Ft. Dagrin).

Well as for me I was hoping the alliance would be great as " Owu no dey touch"-Naeto ft Reminisce (the track should make the list of my best songs this year). Their chemistry on Naeto's track was superb. Buga is still good nonetheless

10. Ife. 7/10
Commendable effort but didn't work for me. I even think you are too generous giving a 7 tongue

13.Daddy Ft Davido. The most danceable track off this album and I can see why a lot of people consider it their favorite.
I think you're being subjective at bolded. Fantasi would top my personal list over Daddy. But I would waive it since you said
...and you should also note that i did not consider the fact that certain songs kind of grow on one after a while.

This is definitely a decent album

^I like your choice of word, even though it shouldnt be interpreted literallycheesy

But if its the Nigeria I know, we definitely prefer noise than music..........
Gbam! God bless you

Cheers
Re: Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce by yousouph07(m): 6:46am On Dec 07, 2013
Really love the tracks he wizkid & d 1 he featured olamide
Re: Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce by tnature: 7:21am On Dec 07, 2013
horlajide: Excerpts from your post

For the record, Reminisce doesn't really approve being labelled "an indigenous" rapper. He had a mixtape way back which he effortlessly rapped in English all through. He's versatile than many think. I'd suggest you listen to Naeto's track (Owu no dey touch) where he briefly addresses this.

True. Heard him(Reminisce) say he "wanted to do him" on the album hence less of the "Kako bi chicken" kinda music which are more like the commercial songs

I agree in totality. Probably the track on the album with the most depth, lyrically. It is a track that is too rich, lyrically, to waste. Its no wonder it was included in the album even after it was released many months before the album was released. We can see the great alliance with Olamide, the connection is evident. BTW I also think Endia (along with the Grip boiz,Yung L in particular are underrated in the industry)

I'll be honest here. I wasn't impressed. I'd prolly rate it somewhere between 5 and 6embarassed

I agree, but thankfully I'm happy I wasnt the only one who noticed that »

I would pardon Wizkid though, as its obvious, "meaningful" or thought provoking lyrics has never been his strength

I agree when you say

However what I won't agree to is that

Well as for me I was hoping the alliance would be great as " Owu no dey touch"-Naeto ft Reminisce (the track should make the list of my best songs this year). Their chemistry on Naeto's track was superb. Buga is still good nonetheless

Commendable effort but didn't work for me. I even think you are too generous giving a 7 tongue

I think you're being subjective at bolded. Fantasi would top my personal list over Daddy. But I would waive it since you said

^I like your choice of word, even though it shouldnt be interpreted literallycheesy

Gbam! God bless you

Cheers

Man, you are too much! Thanks for taking time to read through the review. Your input is really appreciated!
Re: Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce by tnature: 7:24am On Dec 07, 2013
yousouph07: Really love the tracks he wizkid & d 1 he featured olamide
Eleniyan is a good track but Government is fire!

1 Like

Re: Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce by prymesolution: 5:02pm On Dec 09, 2013
How does this album compare with Jesse Jagz album?
Re: Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce by tnature: 5:15pm On Dec 09, 2013
prymesolution: How does this album compare with Jesse Jagz album?

Jesse Jagz's album is in a class of it's own.
Re: Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce by tnature: 3:43am On Dec 10, 2013
My people, join in this conversation o. Before what what happened in 1932 repeats itself...lol. Would like to know what you think about the album.
Re: Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce by Signaturen: 11:26pm On Dec 10, 2013
As a non Yoruba I feel Reminisce more than Olamide and I think he is the better rapper
Re: Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce by tnature: 3:08am On Dec 11, 2013
Signaturen: As a non Yoruba I feel Reminisce more than Olamide and I think he is the better rapper

I see your point though. Reminisce doesn't really like the "indigenous rapper" tag. He raps very well both in Yoruba and English.
Re: Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce by davetwitzy: 12:31am On Dec 12, 2013
tnature:

I see your point though. Reminisce doesn't really like the "indigenous rapper" tag. He raps very well both in Yoruba and English.
yes and that's what messes him up. This album is very good to me. I really felt the Intro and Government. But with the way olamide mixes Yoruba with English, I doubt reminisce can reach him.
Re: Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce by ikelvin(m): 12:37am On Dec 12, 2013
Signaturen: As a non Yoruba I feel Reminisce more than Olamide and I think he is the better rapper
Exactly I'm also a non yoruba but I also feel Remininsce Dan Olamide and as an igbo guy I feel zorro Dan phyno cos I know what d both are speaking or saying in their raps.
Re: Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce by tnature: 6:27am On Dec 12, 2013
ikelvin:
Exactly I'm also a non yoruba but I also feel Remininsce Dan Olamide and as an igbo guy I feel zorro Dan phyno cos I know what d both are speaking or saying in their raps.

Interesting...I feel like Phyno can do no wrong in my eyes. Maybe it's because I don't understand Igbo. But that brother goes hard on his songs. His a baller that definitely deserves a BALLERship smiley smiley
Re: Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce by davetwitzy: 7:20am On Dec 12, 2013
tnature:

Interesting...I feel like Phyno can do no wrong in my eyes. Maybe it's because I don't understand Igbo. But that brother goes hard on his songs. His a baller that definitely deserves a BALLERship smiley smiley
lol, guy, olamide is the best artiste on Nigeria right now. His album is the best out of the 3 anticipated ones. Reminisce impressed in BORS, but guy olamide is better than reminisce. He has better songs and raps better. His English/Yoruba combo is better.
Re: Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce by ikelvin(m): 7:52am On Dec 12, 2013
tnature:

I'm sure you've not listened to zorro, try download 042 by zorro, enyi by zorro, or d way we go by wizboyy ft zorro. Then you will know understand where I'm coming from.
Re: Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce by tnature: 4:15pm On Dec 12, 2013
ikelvin:
I'm sure you've not listened to zorro, try download 042 by zorro, enyi by zorro, or d way we go by wizboyy ft zorro. Then you will know understand where I'm coming from.
You are right, I'll check on it.
Re: Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce by ikelvin(m): 6:31pm On Dec 12, 2013
tnature:
You are right, I'll check on it.
Yeah bro
Re: Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce by airmark(m): 12:05am On Dec 13, 2013
Reminisce tried on this album. But Olamide's BGEL still edged him.

@Ikelvin, that Zoro dude gat game. I like that 042 song though i did nt understand most of his lines. He should look for better record label and with collabo with a rave of the moment in Lagos he may blow more than phyno soonest.
Re: Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce by ikelvin(m): 12:08am On Dec 13, 2013
airmark: Reminisce tried on this album. But Olamide's BGEL still edged him.

@Ikelvin, that Zoro dude gat game. I like that 042 song though i did nt understand most of his lines. He should look for better record label and with collabo with a rave of the moment in Lagos he may blow more than phyno soonest.

Yeah bro, he's signed under wizboyy's No Time records but he needs a better record label
Re: Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce by tnature: 6:05pm On Dec 13, 2013
airmark: Reminisce tried on this album. But Olamide's BGEL still edged him.

I think so too.
Re: Album Review: Alaga Ibile - Reminisce by morenike517: 1:01am On Jan 05, 2015
THANK YOU for this post! I feel very much like a novice when it comes to our rappers back home. I stumbled on an Olamide track some months back by accident, and I was hooked. Since then, I've been hungry for other Nigerian rappers, and have remained in AWE of their skills. I think lyrical wordplay is something that is overlooked by a lot of people when there's a hot beat to groove to. That's unfortunate too, because I think we have some INCREDIBLY TALENTED lyricists out there. Seriously, I hear some things sometimes that cause me to stop and rewind time after time.

Anyway, I'm sitting here listening to Hustle Loyalty Respect (again!) off Street OT when I heard the line "Then they start to hate you. Awon to fe so e di shoulder, won fe dislocate you", and stopped. It's a line that had caught my attention before, but this time, since I was at my desk, I thought I'd look him up. I asked a friend who said Reminisce is one of the best out there, and urged me to listen to his stuff.

I didn't know where to start, so I googled reviews and found this one.. THANK YOU for taking the time.. I honestly registered on here so I could respond to your post.. I'm going to go listen now!

(1) (Reply)

Are Nigeria Hiphop Artist Really Making These Money: / 10 Best Latest Nigerian Music in February 2020 | "Opo" tops Chart / Houston Rappers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.