Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,303 members, 7,822,498 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

This Will Inspire You- How Sophia Amuruso Made $250 Million From The Internet ! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / This Will Inspire You- How Sophia Amuruso Made $250 Million From The Internet ! (834 Views)

101 Robert Kiyosaki Quotes That WILL Inspire You / 7 Young Self-made Nigerian Millionaires To Inspire You / 101 Robert Kiyosaki Quotes That WILL Inspire You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Will Inspire You- How Sophia Amuruso Made $250 Million From The Internet ! by PNN: 5:45am On Dec 07, 2013
You know what, there’s actually no shortage of ideas out there. For days now, I have read blogs, spoken to people, watched the news, seen forums, and I’m wowed at the sheer volume of ideas out there. I’m sure if you take out 1 hour today, you will come up with loads of ideas.

But more important, knowing genuine consumer needs, having consumer insight and how to design, are what’s actually in short supply.

Sophia Amoruso might not be a familiar name to you, maybe you might not have even come about her company Nasty Gal, but she sure is going to be a force to reckon with. She didn’t come up with a tech innovation, or anything like that, she just did, what most people I know do on eBay -sell stuffs, and now she’s worth an estimated $250 million by Forbes.

And how did she amass this? She started off selling vintage clothes on eBay. In an interview with TheCut she said “Some of the best things that I ever sold on eBay, I bought on eBay, just for way less.” In 2006, Sophia Amoruso started by buying vintage clothes and accessories from stores around and then got her friends to model in them, she took and posted their pictures and then sold them off on eBay, and so did her business start, she called her eBay shop “Nasty Gal”. One of the first few sale that took her by surprise was when she sold an eighties Chanel Jacket for $1,000 which she had bought for just $20.

By 2007, Sophia Amoruso had 30,000 “friends” on MySpace, was doing roughly $115,000 in sales and netting $20,000. And in June 2008, after a couple of complaints from other sellers, she was kicked off eBay. Many others would have seen this as a major setback, but she saw it as an opportunity, and within weeks she launched her own retail site, and now, fast forward 2012 she is on track to make $128 million in sales with over 150,000 customers in more than 50 countries and over 50,000 followers on twitter.

You definitely can turn your constraints to a blessing, Sophia’s choice of friends as models- (because she didn’t have money to hire professional models), was one of the factors that paid off for her, because consumers could easily relate with the people wearing it, rather than seeing the clothes on professional models. Also, her decision to go ahead with her own retail site, after been yanked off eBay.

Written by:ADEOLU ADESANYA

For more inspiring stuffs check www.proudlynigerian.net

Re: This Will Inspire You- How Sophia Amuruso Made $250 Million From The Internet ! by kevoneal: 12:36pm On Dec 07, 2013
Wow! Wonderful, I love inspiring stories like this but what we do with stuch stories is what matters.
"The one who thinks he can is the one who Wins" but don't just think, act!

1 Like

Re: This Will Inspire You- How Sophia Amuruso Made $250 Million From The Internet ! by WebSurfer(m): 12:42pm On Dec 07, 2013
Really?

1 Like

Re: This Will Inspire You- How Sophia Amuruso Made $250 Million From The Internet ! by KolaShangOne(m): 1:29pm On Dec 07, 2013
Nice.. Fashion is a never dying business. the opportunity is there for people who can take it.

1 Like

Re: This Will Inspire You- How Sophia Amuruso Made $250 Million From The Internet ! by PNN: 2:55pm On Dec 07, 2013
WebSurfer: Really?
Yes!!! Ideas rule the World
Re: This Will Inspire You- How Sophia Amuruso Made $250 Million From The Internet ! by PNN: 2:58pm On Dec 07, 2013
kevoneal: Wow! Wonderful, I love inspiring stories like this but what we do with stuch stories is what matters.
"The one who thinks he can is the one who Wins" but don't just think, act!

I share Inspiring stories from Nigeria and beyond on www.proudlynigerian.net

(1) (Reply)

Free Consultancy On How To Get More Customer To Your Business / Fake One Thousand Naira Notes On Atms / Merry Christmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.