Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,061 members, 7,818,180 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North (1435 Views)

'Salat Man' Is Symbol Of Resistance For Muslims In Ethiopia / Happy Eid ul Adha To All Muslims In The World. / Christians God (yaweh) ,is He The Same With Muslims Allah? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by maclatunji: 7:51am On Dec 07, 2013
woky: alryt..

Anyways i knw my reasons of coming here, jst wnt to clear my doubt on somthinx.

Am born and brought up in north, i have muslim frends dat somtimes follow me to church and somtimes i do follow them to mosque(during our sec. sch. Days) and the guys ar yoruba.. Now my questions ar: do they have anytin lyk hausa or yoruba mosque?? Do muslims hav diffrnt musques jst as we have diffrnt churches the reason why i ask this questions is bcox my muslim friend dont pray in all mosques, they wil say "dis one na hausa mosque we no dy pray dia"

waiting for answers... Tnkx
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by maclatunji: 7:54am On Dec 07, 2013
Responses to his questions are welcome.

Personally, I believe there is a lack of proper understanding of Islam with your friends.
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by psyqs(m): 8:05am On Dec 07, 2013
Nah, i dnt tink so.
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by lanrexlan(m): 8:33am On Dec 07, 2013
I think it's lack of proper understanding of Islam by your friends.Allah says in the glorious Quran in Surah Al-Imran 3:103- And hold fast,all of you together,to the Rope of Allah,and be not divided among yourselves....Your friends are trying to discriminate hausas from yorubas by saying hausa mosque or yoruba mosque and Islam frowns against this.The best of men is the one with piety,self-control[Surah Al-Hujurat 49:13].So we are one and there's nothing like hausa mosque or yoruba mosque.If they are offering solat in the way it should be,then no discrimination should take place.
It is narrated by Abu Dar that Muhammad, upon whom be peace,said:‘Wherever the time for prayer comes upon you,perform the prayer,for all the Earth is a place of worshipping for you[Hadith].Wherever you may be,when the time of prayer comes upon you,you perform the prayer irrespective of the mosque.

8 Likes

Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by Adeoba10(m): 10:38am On Dec 07, 2013
lanrexlan: I think it's lack of proper understanding of Islam by your friends.Allah says in the glorious Quran in Surah Al-Imran 3:103- And hold fast,all of you together,to the Rope of Allah,and be not divided among yourselves....Your friends are trying to discriminate hausas from yorubas by saying hausa mosque or yoruba mosque and Islam frowns against this.The best of men is the one with piety,self-control[Surah Al-Hujurat 49:13].So we are one and there's nothing like hausa mosque or yoruba mosque.If they are offering solat in the way it should be,then no discrimination should take place.
It is narrated by Abu Dar that Muhammad, upon whom be peace,said:‘Wherever the time for prayer comes upon you,perform the prayer,for all the Earth is a place of worshipping for you[Hadith].Wherever you may be,when the time of prayer comes upon you,you perform the prayer irrespective of the mosque.
well said bro... @Op, diz happened when u guys are stil small, dos brothers dan are just growing up mayb dats d reason y. Dia z nothing lyk Hausa mosque or Yoruba mosque, where ever we are, and is tym 4 solaat, we luk 4 any nearby mosque and pray, den u leave. Peace be upon u and ur household.

1 Like

Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by WHees(m): 12:44pm On Dec 07, 2013
They will follow him to church but they have problem attending a Hausa mosque[whatever that is].. SMH
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by tpia5: 2:06pm On Dec 07, 2013
If people are more comfortable praying in environments they're used to, is that necessarily a bad thing.
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by Sissie(f): 2:45pm On Dec 07, 2013
In the north the khutbah (sermon) done in many mosque is in hausa language, so your friends may not want to go to the mosque because of that.

And depending on the majority of people in the area, some mosque are called hausa mosque because that's the tribe of the majority.
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by babylolaroy(f): 3:04pm On Dec 07, 2013
Sissie: In the north the khutbah (sermon) done in many mosque is in hausa language, so your friends may not want to go to the mosque because of that.

And depending on the majority of people in the area, some mosque are called hausa mosque because that's the tribe of the majority.
yea. i thought to this angle too. probably as yorubas, they do not understand hausa which would be the means of passing the khutbah on a friday. But they shouldnt have made it sound as if there was sectarianism and they couldnt eva pray behind an hausa. that means if the solat isnt jumat which requires khutbah, they should be able to pray there.

wallahu a'lam
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by tpia5: 5:30pm On Dec 07, 2013
I don't think Islam really mandates people should not pray within their own groups and social systems per se, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The major place where everybody- irrespective of tribe, colour, nationality, ethnicity, etc -is supposed to pray and socialize together is when you go on hajj, not so?
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by BetaThings: 7:37am On Dec 08, 2013
tpia@:
I don't think Islam really mandates people should not pray within their own groups and social systems per se, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The major place where everybody- irrespective of tribe, colour, nationality, ethnicity, etc -is supposed to pray and socialize together is when you go on hajj, not so?

It is wrong for Muslims to segregate on account of tribe. If they were to leave mixing together till Hajj, they will find it even difficult to integrate as Muslims during hajj because it will be very strange
If people of the same religion don't mix, how can they intermarry and strengthen the bond of Islam which we are enjoy to hold onto very firmly

Like Sissie said, language barrier is an issue. It determines where people pray on Fridays because of the sermon. Aside that, one can pray anywhere because they don't usually give sermons at other times and where they do, those sermons are not compulsory.

It is always better to pray where the rules of Salat (eg reciting the Qur'an clearly with strict regard for recitation rules and not rushing the entire process) are observed
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by Fkforyou(m): 10:35am On Dec 08, 2013
I've had similar experience,I noticed one of my friends don't like praying in a particular mosque each time I suggest we go there,he will say somethin like "I no want pray for albani mosque" instead he'll suggest we go to the next one close by. Personally I don't discriminate I just smile and agree with him,but I know what is going on in his mind-Albani is a sunni mosque while the other is a Derica mosque.
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by woky: 11:37pm On Dec 08, 2013
lanrexlan: I think it's lack of proper understanding of Islam by your friends.Allah says in the glorious Quran in Surah Al-Imran 3:103- And hold fast,all of you together,to the Rope of Allah,and be not divided among yourselves....Your friends are trying to discriminate hausas from yorubas by saying hausa mosque or yoruba mosque and Islam frowns against this.The best of men is the one with piety,self-control[Surah Al-Hujurat 49:13].So we are one and there's nothing like hausa mosque or yoruba mosque.If they are offering solat in the way it should be,then no discrimination should take place.
good response but i refuse to deduce.. I wil gv u my reasons 2moro

tnkx bro..
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by woky: 11:42pm On Dec 08, 2013
maclatunji: Responses to his questions are welcome.

Personally, I believe there is a lack of proper understanding of Islam with your friends.
tnkx for creating this thread.. bt ur suggestion seems wrong..
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by woky: 11:43pm On Dec 08, 2013
WHξξ∟s:
They will follow him to church but they have problem attending a Hausa mosque[whatever that is].. SMH
out of point
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by woky: 11:47pm On Dec 08, 2013
BetaThings:

It is wrong for Muslims to segregate on account of tribe. If they were to leave mixing together till Hajj, they will find it even difficult to integrate as Muslims during hajj because it will be very strange
If people of the same religion don't mix, how can they intermarry and strengthen the bond of Islam which we are enjoy to hold onto very firmly

Like Sissie said, language barrier is an issue. It determines where people pray on Fridays because of the sermon. Aside that, one can pray anywhere because they don't usually give sermons at other times and where they do, those sermons are not compulsory.

It is always better to pray where the rules of Salat (eg reciting the Qur'an clearly with strict regard for recitation rules and not rushing the entire process) are observed
i would hav love to say somtin abt ur post, especially on ur 1st paragrahp but...
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by Nowenuse: 12:25am On Dec 09, 2013
Well, I think d main reason 4dat is dat hausa and yoruba muslims really dnt believe and practice same thing. Hausa muslims seem to be more fanatic and extremists in their religous ideas and that is the main reason they always have religous problems with the christians in their region unlike the yoruba muslims who have always lived in peace with their christian brothers.
Language difference is really not the issue here, you can neva hear sth like Igbo church or Ijaw church. Whether ppl of a particular ethnicity dominate in a church is not really d problem of christians as long as the language used there is english or a general language understood by all, ppl of difrent ethnicities r bound to converge. The difrences in christianity r just denominational with no tribal intonation at all.
Why is there also hausa sallah and yoruba sallah if I may ask? Many of us have been used seeing the hausas celebrate their own sallah 2day and d yoruba muslims wuld do theirs the next day.
Sorry 2say this, I also feel the hausas see the yoruba muslims as fake muslims.
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by kayword(m): 2:53am On Dec 09, 2013
tpia@:

In as much as that may be true, Islam also also does not say we should refuse to pray in a particular mosque based on tribal or ethnic differences. You can only refuse not to when e.g. the practices in a particular mosque are against your aqeedah
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by WHees(m): 4:13am On Dec 09, 2013
Nowenuse: Well, I think d main reason 4dat is dat hausa and yoruba muslims really dnt believe and practice same thing

It is either you are mis-informed or you are the type that try to falsify a fact deliberately, the unification of muslims as brothers, friends and guardians is a religious obligation and ethnicity is never a barrier, I am a Muslim northerner and what you think above is the opposite of what is happening here. You can't differentiate a Hausa from Yoruba in a religious gathering in the north I know, and we have tons of renowned Yorubas as Imams, muezzin, mu'allims etc, I still can't forget the face and voice of the yoruba lady that taught me the huruful hijaiyah when I was young.
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by woky: 6:58am On Dec 09, 2013
Nowenuse: Well, I think d main reason 4dat is dat hausa and yoruba muslims really dnt believe and practice same thing. Hausa muslims seem to be more fanatic and extremists in their religous ideas and that is the main reason they always have religous problems with the christians in their region unlike the yoruba muslims who have always lived in peace with their christian brothers.
Language difference is really not the issue here, you can neva hear sth like Igbo church or Ijaw church. Whether ppl of a particular ethnicity dominate in a church is not really d problem of christians as long as the language used there is english or a general language understood by all, ppl of difrent ethnicities r bound to converge. The difrences in christianity r just denominational with no tribal intonation at all.
Why is there also hausa sallah and yoruba sallah if I may ask? Many of us have been used seeing the hausas celebrate their own sallah 2day and d yoruba muslims wuld do theirs the next day.
i agree wit u
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by Sissie(f): 9:28am On Dec 09, 2013
Nowenuse: Well, I think d main reason 4dat is dat hausa and yoruba muslims really dnt believe and practice same thing. Hausa muslims seem to be more fanatic and extremists in their religous ideas and that is the main reason they always have religous problems with the christians in their region unlike the yoruba muslims who have always lived in peace with their christian brothers.

This is not true, are you a muslim? To actually know the reasons.
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by Sissie(f): 10:12am On Dec 09, 2013
woky: i agree wit u

I find it funny you asked Muslims the question and chose to not agree with them but agreed with someone who is either not a muslim or misinformed. I doubt if he has ever been to the north, I Can say the same for the church.
I.e the hausa/northern Christians mostly attend ECWA church in the north (the church sing in hausa and even preach In hausa) while the Yoruba Christians are found more In winners, redeem e.t.c. While you will find more igbos in the Catholic Church than you would find hausa or Yoruba.
So is it really denominational without tribal intonation?

3 Likes

Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by woky: 11:45am On Dec 09, 2013
Sissie:

This is not true, are you a muslim? To actually know the reasons.
if u ar in north, u wil undastnd wat his talking about..
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by Sissie(f): 12:49pm On Dec 09, 2013
woky: if u ar in north, u wil undastnd wat his talking about..

I am in the north, are you? Is he?
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by lanrexlan(m): 6:13pm On Dec 09, 2013
woky: good response but i refuse to deduce.. I wil gv u my reasons 2moro

tnkx bro..
Adequate answers were given to you but you failed to deduce.But you can deduce your answer from someone that says ''Hausa muslims consider yoruba muslims to be fake''.A statement that lacks proofs.SMH
It's like your mind is already made up,you just asked the question for fun.
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by woky: 6:39pm On Dec 09, 2013
bt do you knw that the Shi'a and some Ostas dnt pray in all mosque??
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by woky: 6:43pm On Dec 09, 2013
Sissie:

I am in the north, are you? Is he?
yes.. Whc part of north ar u?
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by woky: 6:49pm On Dec 09, 2013
lanrexlan: Adequate answers were given to you but you failed to deduce.But you can deduce your answer from someone that says ''Hausa muslims consider yoruba muslims to be fake''.A statement that lacks proofs.SMH
It's like your mind is already made up,you just asked the question for fun.
dnt push me to say wat i dnt want to say

jst Relax
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by lanrexlan(m): 6:51pm On Dec 09, 2013
woky: bt do you knw that the Shi'a and some Ostas dnt pray in all mosque??
Stay on your topic please.

1 Like

Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by Sissie(f): 7:07pm On Dec 09, 2013
woky: yes.. Whc part of north ar u?

What difference does it make?

woky: bt do you knw that the Shi'a and some Ostas dnt pray in all mosque??

That is another different topic, like lanrexlan said stay on topic.
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by maclatunji: 7:21pm On Dec 09, 2013
Our questioner is trying to be clever-by-half and is being exposed from all angles.

An example is being made here.
Re: His Experience With Muslims In A Part Of The North by woky: 9:13pm On Dec 09, 2013
lanrexlan: Stay on your topic please.
ok sir

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Glimpse Into The Khawaarij / Planets And Galaxies / Nike Pro Hijab For Performance Athletes (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.