Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,281 members, 7,839,386 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

Hodgson Lobbying For Water Breaks At World Cup - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Hodgson Lobbying For Water Breaks At World Cup (632 Views)

Oduduru Wins Silver At World Youth Champs! 200m / Ejowvokoghene Odururu After Winning 200M At World Youth Championships In Ukraine / West Bromwich Coach Roy Hodgson Blasts Odemwingie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hodgson Lobbying For Water Breaks At World Cup by Nobody: 6:32am On Dec 08, 2013
The England manager's worst fears were confirmed on Friday when his team were drawn to play a match against Italy in Manaus.

Manaus is situated in the north-west of Brazil right in the heart of the Amazon rainforest.

In June and July, when the World Cup takes place, temperatures can soar over 30 degrees centigrade, but the main problem is the humidity levels, which can surpass 80 per cent.

Italy coach Cesare Prandelli plans to lobby FIFA to introduce drinks breaks during the matches.

The England boss pleaded with American authorities to do the same in USA '94 when he was manager of Switzerland and he would like to see the same happen in Brazil next summer.

"The idea of drinks breaks has been mentioned and we'll back that," Hodgson said.

"I mentioned that in 1994 along with the Italians. Any proposals anyone has that are sensible, then we would support. I think it's going to be necessary, I really do.

"We don't want a situation where the fourth official has got to try to stop people taking drinks breaks, so you'd want an official one really.
http://www.foxsportsasia.com/football/world-cup/news/detail/item1019747/Hodgson-lobbying-for-water-breaks-at-World-Cup
Re: Hodgson Lobbying For Water Breaks At World Cup by pickabeau1: 7:31am On Dec 08, 2013
I don't get

Do they get water break in Egypt or Emirates
Re: Hodgson Lobbying For Water Breaks At World Cup by Nobody: 7:35am On Dec 08, 2013
Its called PANIC..

I think FIFA should reject that plea..
Eng vs Italy match has already been moved a couple of hours forward.

Those teams clamouring for water breaks should camp and acclimatise early.I think England will come out of their group though.

Nigeria and Ghana will make Africa proud..
Re: Hodgson Lobbying For Water Breaks At World Cup by Afam4eva(m): 7:36am On Dec 08, 2013
Even if FIFA introduces Tombo and Kaikai, England will not qualify. They're just going there to make up the numbers.
Re: Hodgson Lobbying For Water Breaks At World Cup by Afam4eva(m): 7:37am On Dec 08, 2013
gbosaa: Its called PANIC..
Those teams clamouring for water breaks should camp and acclimatise early.I think England will come out of their group though.
Come out in what condition?
Re: Hodgson Lobbying For Water Breaks At World Cup by Nobody: 7:49am On Dec 08, 2013
Afam4eva: Even if FIFA introduces Tombo and Kaikai, England will not qualify. They're just going there to make up the numbers.
grin grin U never disappoint.

I read somewhere that FIFA may indeed introduce the water breaks if the temperature inside the stadium exceeds 32C. There will be an official FIFA doctor at all matches next year, who may advise the match officials to take such breaks. Ultimately, the referee will have discretion on when to grant the breaks.

Water breaks aren't entirely new in FIFA tournaments. At last year's Womens U-20 World cup, there were water breaks in some of the afternoon matches.
Re: Hodgson Lobbying For Water Breaks At World Cup by Nobody: 9:06am On Dec 08, 2013
Afam4eva: Even if FIFA introduces Tombo and Kaikai, England will not qualify. They're just going there to make up the numbers.

They will prove you wrong Afam...They might end up topping the group just like Nigeria and Ghana..

There will be lots of shocking and awkward moments in Brazil next yr..argentina and germany might be eliminated in the group stage. cheesy
Re: Hodgson Lobbying For Water Breaks At World Cup by Afam4eva(m): 9:07am On Dec 08, 2013
gbosaa:

They will prove you wrong Afam...They might end up topping the group just like Nigeria and Ghana..

There will be lots of shocking and awkward moments in Brazil next yr..argentina and germany might be eliminated in the group stage. cheesy
Atleast you agree that it will be awkward and shocking for England to qualify. It just shows that the team is useless and only need luck to progress.
Re: Hodgson Lobbying For Water Breaks At World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:01pm On Dec 08, 2013
gbosaa:

I also think that Argentina may be eliminated during the group stage, not so sure of Germany, but I feel Argentina, Spain and Netherlands may not go past the Round of 16. It's a matter of the big guns doing the dirty work for the smaller teams
Re: Hodgson Lobbying For Water Breaks At World Cup by Nobody: 7:11am On Dec 10, 2013
Afam4eva:
Atleast you agree that it will be awkward and shocking for England to qualify. It just shows that the team is useless and only need luck to progress.

England has a very good team but i think their problem is deep rooted psychological issues just like Nigeria before Afcon 2013.They have the players from Joe Hart to Sturridge but they seem to falter when you expect them to excel,sometimes from no fault of their own from faulty back pass to the keeper and subsequent awkward clearance to referees error like the one against them when lampard scored against germany.
Previous world cup,they had been eliminated via penalties.

Maybe they need to complement their hardwork with a lil bit of luck.They had done well in most of their international matches..both competitive and friendlies,even scored first against brazil at maracana but drew.
If you are judging them by the friendlies against chile and germany,then i think you,ll be disappointed.

Nigeria had same issues prior to nations cup 2013..good players but very low in confidence.
Most people were judging us by Mikel who plays at chelsea...the likes of mba,oboabona,igiebor and emenike were derided even by Nigerian fans...most people judged them by past perfomances such as the nations cup qualifier against guinea where we had the osazes,taiwo etc..they played well but couldnt get the required result...at the end the likes of osaze gave TB Joshuas prophecy as an excuse..at the previous nations cup...Nigeria was up by one nil against ghana with a man sent off but couldnt capitalise on the numerical advantage..
At the world cup a moment of madness from kaita denied us against greece..and dont forget yakubus awkward moment against Korea..

England just like Nigeria will disappoint lots of people like you..sometimes good players with good manager isnt enough..some unforseen funny moments might happen.
Every team needs an element of luck..
Ghana didnt have that luck against uruguay in south africa..Suarez mischievously denied them.

This time just like in AFCON 2013..Nigeria will do well..Ghana will do well and England will do well..

Lastly....i hated Osazes immaturity but i will hope that Keshi will give and Ike Uche another chance to redeem themselves..
A cool headed osaze and uches type of skills will be valuable against a team like bosnia..i see Eagles doing to them what 94-98 set did to Bulgaria even with formidable names like Hristo Stoitcov,kostadinov and balakov...compare them to...Edin Dzeko..Pjanic and the other miralem dude in stuggart.

(1) (Reply)

Will You Participate In Aba Marathon Race Tomorrow? / Suarez Ban Too Excessive- Chiellini / FC Barcelona To Present Ivan Rakitic On July 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.