Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,498 members, 7,812,536 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:58 PM

Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon (2341 Views)

I Am Intending To Buy Car. Pls How Good Is Volkswagen Vento As Car In Nig / SUV Plunges Into River In Bayelsa, 3 Killed (PHOTO) / Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by desgiezd(m): 1:32pm On Jul 28, 2008
Banker dead as car plunges into Lagoon 28/7/2008

By Eric Ikhilae and Jude Isiguzo
A mangled Honda Accord LX marked NJ 674 AAA was retrieved by rescuers yesterday from the Lagos Lagoon. Its sole occupant, a man, was dead.

Up until 6p.m., people were trooping in to see the abandoned wreckage of the car believed to have fallen off the Third Mainland bridge. No one could explain what happened – not even three youths, who came around 5.30p.m. to inspect the vehicle. One of the three young men, who declined to give their names, said the vehicle’s occupant was a close friend. He gave the victim’s name as Ifeanyi, saying he was an employee of a frontline bank. The police identified the victim as Francis Nwugo Ifeanchukwu of 9, Solanke Street, Off Ajose Street, Maryland, Lagos Mainland.

According to the victim’s friend, they were returning in separate cars from Lagos Island, heading for Maryland when Ifeanyi’s car suddenly went missing.

Another member of the group, a light-complexioned man wearing a black polo shirt atop a pair of brown trousers, said his friend became worried after getting home and waiting in vain for Ifeanyi to arrive. The group visited the scene of the crash when they got information that a vehicle had plunged into the Lagoon on the Third Mainland bridge near Adekunle junction, at the Ebute-Metta exit point.

An eye-witness, who refused to be identified, said the accident occurred around 10.11pm on Saturday while he was on his way home. The man said he drew the attention of policemen to the incident early yesterday.

"It was too late; I would have called the fishermen who live around. I was on my way home yesterday night when I heard a loud noise on top of the bridge. Later, I saw something fell into the Lagoon below, and it just occurred to me that an accident might have happened and that it could be a vehicle that had just fallen into the lagoon. I also was in haste to get home.

"This morning when I came back, I went to the site which was very close to a security point on the bridge and told policemen on duty what I saw last night. It was then that they started making calls. But the rescue effort began around 3p.m. when the police and other security personnel came to the area. They were able to bring the car out of the water about 4.30p.m," the eye witness said.

It was learnt that the police recovered the victim’s identity card, his phone and other items with which he could easily be identified.

Lagos Police spokesman Frank Mba said the accident occurred at about 10.20 p.m. He said the rescue operation undertaken by Marine policemen, local divers and fishermen paid off at about 4.30p.m. yesterday when the car was retrieved.

The spokesman said the vehicle had been taken to Adekunle Police Station, Yaba, while the body would be kept in a government morgue. He could not immediately say what caused the accident, adding that the Police had begun investigation.

http://www.thenationonlineng.com/dynamicpage.asp?id=57154
Re: Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by Gonorrhea(m): 1:33pm On Jul 28, 2008
Unfortunate
RIP
Re: Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by onyekang1(f): 1:46pm On Jul 28, 2008
RIP this is really sad cry cry
Re: Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by landis(m): 3:44pm On Jul 28, 2008
sad,

accident happend 10pm. rescue did not start still 4pm the next day.

this is a city of 15million people.

lesson: do not drive in the night in Nigeria, simply does not make sense.
Re: Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by eryck(m): 4:17pm On Jul 28, 2008
landis:

sad,
accident happened 10pm. rescue did not start still 4pm the next day.[color=#990000][/color]

Can you imagine that, even if he has just a CUT, he certainly would have bled to death before that time 4pm the next day

I really hope banks do somethin about this closing late syndrome
RIP
Re: Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by biggy08(f): 9:59am On Jul 31, 2008
An eye-witness, who refused to be identified, said the accident occurred around 10.11pm on Saturday while he was on his way home. The man said he drew the attention of policemen to the incident early yesterday.

"It was too late; I would have called the fishermen who live around. I was on my way home yesterday night when I heard a loud noise on top of the bridge. Later, I saw something fell into the Lagoon below, and it just occurred to me that an accident might have happened and that it could be a vehicle that had just fallen into the lagoon. I also was in haste to get home.

"This morning when I came back, I went to the site which was very close to a security point on the bridge and told policemen on duty what I saw last night. It was then that they started making calls. But the rescue effort began around 3p.m.

Imagine this
Here in UK failure to stop at an accident scence is a crime i think the same should be introduced in naija also. Imaging waiting till d next day to inform police if d guy had been his sibling nko? and imagine police waiting till 3pm to start search also. No one knows if the guy could have been rescued if he was rescued immediately. Na wah 4 naija ooooo
Re: Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by Nobody: 7:17am On Aug 01, 2008
@ Biggy08: Failure to stop at an accident scene is not a crime, if you are not involved.

In such cases, it's more of a humanitarian / moral issue, rather than a legal one.

1 Like

Re: Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by SeanT21(f): 8:41am On Aug 01, 2008
RIP to HIM!! GOD needed You!!
Re: Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by rampant(f): 2:41pm On Aug 02, 2008
sometimes i wonder what kind of evil spirit is controlling that third mainland bridge?
Re: Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by biggy08(f): 11:13am On Aug 11, 2008
In The UK Failing to stop after an accident or failing to report an accident Maximum Punishment Imprissionment 6 months Fine £5,000 Driving Ban Discretionary Penalty Points5–10
Re: Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by Busybody2(f): 3:05pm On Aug 11, 2008
biggy08:

In The UK Failing to stop after an accident or failing to report an accident Maximum Punishment Imprissionment 6 months Fine £5,000 Driving Ban Discretionary Penalty Points5–10

Only God knows how much £5,000 fine and points I have incurred angry as I pass through the A13 daily, where accidents are an everyday occurence and never for once thought I should have stopped. undecided tongue

Siena:

@ Biggy08: Failure to stop at an accident scene is not a crime, if you are not involved.

In such cases, it's more of a humanitarian / moral issue, rather than a legal one.

@Biggy08

I am sure you are aware of the tail-back that happens whenever an accident occurs and people start

slowing down to watch. Now indulge me, wink and think about the grid-lock that would occur if

everyone obeyed that law and stopped for fear of being fined £5000, banned or imprisoned.cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by cybersleek(m): 4:17pm On Aug 11, 2008
Lets not start bashing Naija again, believe me, if this happened in the Uk, the guy would most certainly die as well! so while our thoughts are with his family and friends, lets leave the other aspect ok.
Re: Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by lexicon(m): 5:36pm On Aug 11, 2008
biggy08:

Imagine this
Here in UK failure to stop at an accident scence is a crime i think the same should be introduced in naija also. Imaging waiting till d next day to inform police if d guy had been his sibling nko? and imagine police waiting till 3pm to start search also. No one knows if the guy could have been rescued if he was rescued immediately. Na wah 4 naija ooooo

Nigerian Police are not helping situation at all.If they try to get to the root of the matter and they coul'nt, you the eye witness might be the next person they will hold responsible.( I am talking form experience).

1 Like

Re: Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by tpia: 5:42pm On Aug 11, 2008
Its an unfortunate situation. may he RIP.

To those who are using the opportunity to bash Nigeria as usual: a tanker plunged into the sea yesterday, from a Maryland, USA, bridge. Please go and bash the US as well.

Weekend Crash Creates Traffic Nightmare

Traffic backed up at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge again this morning as authorities continued investigating a Sunday wreck that claimed the life of a truck driver whose tractor-trailer rig plunged through the side of the eastbound span and into the water.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/11/AR2008081100422.html

Re: Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by Busybody2(f): 5:46pm On Aug 11, 2008
lexicon:

Nigerian Police are not helping situation at all.If they try to get to the root of the matter and they coul'nt, you the eye witness might be the next person they will hold responsible.( I am talking form experience).

Can you imagine, blaming the eye-witness, in a country you cannot act as a good samaritan if you see someone bleeding or injured by the roadside, because the hospital expects you to produce a police report before they can admit the person.
Re: Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by Bblak(f): 4:14pm On Aug 12, 2008
So pathetic!. RIP Ifeanyi sad cry
Re: Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by ALERTEFCC(f): 4:34pm On Aug 12, 2008
SeanT21:

RIP to HIM!! GOD needed You!!
bro may i say this was an unforseen and unfortunate situation, simply put an ACCIDENT! likely he was on speed or drunk or any mechanical failure from the car, if God needed him this way, don't you think he(God) is wicked? would you say if someone commited suicide by hanging himself that God needed him? i don't think so. he doesnt desire any to die
Re: Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by icemann(m): 5:18pm On Aug 12, 2008
Re: Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by modupe2: 12:02pm On Sep 03, 2008
Rest In Peace
Re: Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by ssRhino: 1:11pm On Sep 03, 2008
i will like to have answers to the following.
1. how cld someone fall into a river and no one saw him -- lemme guess, no proper lighting on the bridge that stretch that long.
2. rescuing team took over 12 hours before they start operation -- lemme guess, rescuing team needed to be rescued as well.
I guess nigerian roads are still death traps
Re: Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by bettes(f): 2:47pm On Dec 16, 2008
$$Rhino:

i will like to have answers to the following.
1. how cld someone fall into a river and no one saw him -- let me guess, no proper lighting on the bridge that stretch that long.
2. rescuing team took over 12 hours before they start operation -- let me guess, rescuing team needed to be rescued as well.
I guess nigerian roads are still death traps
[color=#000099][/color]

One of the major causes of the accident was the fact that the victim,Ifeanyi was just learning how to drive,and he made the mistake of driving by himself at night.
Re: Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by inze(m): 3:29pm On Dec 17, 2008
rip,
Re: Banker Dead As Car Plunges Into Lagoon by Nighttrain: 4:17pm On Dec 17, 2008
I wonder what is taking so long to electrify the KETU-3rd Mainland-VI Corridor? Maybe if the bridge had lights, the victim would see better. The Commisioners of Environment and Worrks should be accountable in a Law Suit. The the guy who saw what happened, na wa for him O!!

(1) (Reply)

Honda Alla For Sale With Asking Price Of 400k / 2002 Toyota Sienna - N1.5m / @@@@@ 1997 Mack Dm690s Mixer Truck $25,800: Cif Lagos Port

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.