Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,031 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:02 PM

The Nigerian Entertainment Industry Is Taking A New Turn With The Emergence Of R - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Nigerian Entertainment Industry Is Taking A New Turn With The Emergence Of R (2410 Views)

Meet The Nigerian Woman That Built 4 Bedroom Flat From Roasted Corn Business / Which Played A Bigger Role In The Emergence Of Their Careersnbanky W And Etisala / Printing Of R-cards Bz (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Nigerian Entertainment Industry Is Taking A New Turn With The Emergence Of R by Constantin: 9:11pm On Jun 18, 2006
June 16th, 2006
Dreamworld: Where excitement will never stop

The Nigerian entertainment industry is taking a new turn with the emergence of recreation centres.

In this interview, JUDE ATOH, chief executive of DreamWorld Leisures, speaks on the project with ENAM OBIOSIO

The project DreamWorld

is constructed with facilities of world class standard; we know the key words and everything has been carefully chosen to reflect international and global standard, to give the ultimate dynamo platform for key dynamo people.

When we talk about ultimate dynamo platform, It is to provide a place for fun of the ultimate trail in fun and excitement, to be a choice spot for family evening outing, for fun, entertainment and relaxation in a friendly and natural atmosphere.

Ultimately, DreamWorld was aimed to be Nigeria’s largest resort chain with presence in key Nigerian cities like Abuja, Port Harcourt, and in terms of Public Relations line for those of us in marketing, we have been working to provide Life is fun, leave your dream two of our key pay off lines.

The purpose of DreamWorld is to dedicatedly provide world class entertainment facilities and fun, in a natural atmosphere for Nigerians in the local community particularly and Nigeria at large. It is very important for us because Nigerians are our primary market and the young people are our constituent, although we will attract global attention, predominantly, as we aim to fully satisfy Nigerians in terms of entertainment and excitement.

DreamWorld

is in the leisure and entertainment industry with a major focus on world class standards. Our key slogan is ‘DreamWorld, Africa the Excitement Never Ends’ because we mean to provide continuous excitement, and people will never get tired of being in an African environment. Globally, the leisure industry is one of the largest in the world and greatest margin that returns investment. It is next to oil and gas in the global economy. Leisure and hotel is the highest earning industry in the market.

Another thing is that the leisure industry tends to grow as the economy. As people earn more money, the need for leisure increases. We know that Nigeria is currently caught up for major changes in the course of globalization, the democratization of the nation’s state, the privatization and liberalisation of hitherto government controlled industries such as banking, oil and gas, infrastructure, power and steel to mention a few. The drive to attain world class standard is pushing across major industries including the leisure and entertainment industry in Nigeria. Having said that, the leisure industry in Nigeria is very attractive, and there is a gap between markets. We looked at Lagos which is the economic nerve centre of Nigeria and ask ourselves where in Lagos should we really focus on? We decided to look at Lekki because it is one of the fastest growing provinces in the Lagos area, with a population that is predominantly young, and is a blend of the well meaning and average income groups.

There is a trend of quality entertainment facility within easy reach for the local Lekki community. In the last couple of years, there have been some changes taking place in Lekki. We started this project in 2004 precisely, then we did not have the likes of Silverbird, the Palms, Shoprite and so on. So in the last couple of years, all these changes have taken place, which is in line with our dream that led to the DreamWorld. While Lagos is the commercial nerve centre of Nigeria, Lekki will certainly become the entertainment centre of Lagos.

If you look at the leisure industry in Nigeria which is predominantly underdeveloped because of the kind of people we called the Nigerian Opportunistic Entrepreneurs, we only have people who are out to make a living, with quick drive good cars and want to live in a good house, and that is why we are still here. In terms of entertainment, music, art and drama, Nigerians are very good at that, but in terms of providing international standard facility, we don’t have such a facility in Nigeria. We know that there has been growing awareness in this industry. It is a potentially big industry and a money spinner, and also serious investors are becoming attracted. You can talk about the Silverbird, the Palms, Obudu Cattle Ranch in Cross river state and so on, these are the kind of entertainment spots that serious minded people are counting on now, and DreamWorld will aim to be the icing on the cake for everybody.

Products

In terms of the products that we have, we are going to have what we call the water parks, which will comprise of water slides and pool. These are going to be of international standard as I said. When we talk about international standard facilities, we know that with places like Waterparks it is mainly a kid n play facility. But we are going to have a play ground, gym, bumpers cars, Mary go round, the giant well, the side stimulator which I don’t think is any where in Africa. There is going to be the ultimate diamond park fun place for kids and young people. When we talk about diamond park fun place, it will provide fun and excitement. We also have the external and adventure series, train ride where you get to go through vallies and mountains tops, Rolla coaster and so many of them, the list is end less.

There are resorts, leisure gardens, reception, open estate and a multi-purpose complex. There are two cinema halls, show rooms, shops, offices and the games arcade. Other facilites are guest houses where people can reside. Most of all these faculties are of international standard.

To give a unique perspective, DreamWorld is going to be a team park, and globally, all team parks have an underlining story. So that, when you visit the place you leave with something unique. For us, DreamWorld is going to be an experience that people would not have any where in Africa. We are going to take people to the great pyramid of the world and we are also going to take people to the Zulu battle field, and tell people of what Victoria force is all about. Kilimanjaro is the tallest mountain in West Africa, we are also going to tell people what Kilimanjaro is all about. These are some of the exciting things we have packaged in DreamWorld, and every thing has been programmed to make life meaningful at the right time. The first phase would come up in 2007 while the second phase will go on in 2009. So, it is an aggressive plan that we are going into and, as I speak, we are already working at the site, and just giving you an idea of what this will look like.

The facilities are going to be supplied by companies who manufacture them in Italy and negotiations are going on for the purchase. If you go to some parts in Nigeria the facilities you will see are locally made.

Background

I started out as an electrical engineer from the University of Ibadan; I worked for barely one year with Rank Xerox as their Electrical Engineer. I left and joined Anderson Consulting for eight years where I left as a Senior Manager. Then, I went on to start ValueCard in Nigeria together and I left ValueCard in 2004 as the acting Managing Director. In the same 2004, I decided to do something more interesting in terms of management skills. I have reached the peak, and I also want to do something that would add value to Nigeria and Nigerians. Because of my training in Anderson Consulting, and you know how the economy works, I was one of the pioneer members of the Nigerian Economic Summit. So, I wanted to do something different, something that would add value and something in which I would be a major stakeholder. That is how I initiated the plan and concept of DreamWorld.

When I was doing my National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), there was one of my colleagues, who incidentally, also joined Sharp while I was working for Xerox. When we were discussing, we realized that Engineering, back in 1987, was not really developed. I was the best graduating student from my set, but having to work as an Engineer did not look very interesting to me. In fact, the only place we were going to work was either National Electric Power Authority (NEPA) or Nigerian Telecommunications (NITEL). So, I decided to go and do Business Management, and the driving force then was the only way to improve Engineering in Nigeria. I needed to go in from the management angle. It was for this reason that I applied to Anderson Consulting when was doing my NYSC.

So, I learnt everything about Management, Economy, Business Management in Anderson Consulting. I have also worked for major banks and companies in Nigeria.

I was also into strategy consulting for sometime. In the days of Abacha, the vision 2010 was pioneered by Anderson Consulting to try and get Abacha agree in the bid to see if we can turn around the Nigerian economy. I was asked to join Vision 2010 alongside Ifueko Omoigue who is now the chairman of Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) and the Joint Tax Board. I was the manager while she was a partner, and it was through her work in the vision 2010 that she was appointed the chairman of the board.

Inspiration

My inspiration for the project? I think it was the grace of God, and I was convinced with myself that I could run and develop a company to the highest standard. Everything we did in Vision 2010 was to see how we could make Nigeria a global player. So I was convinced that anything I want to do must be of a world standard and based on my qualifications and experience, everything was very easy. I put together the business plan by myself. Every time I present it, the reaction I get is that it is good. It was easy to convince the investors in 2004. Then, I left ValueCard in 2004 and by August the business plan was ready. And the first investor has already put down his money. So I have 100 percent confidence in the ability of Nigerians to do anything that any other person can do in the world. All I am talking about is driven by Nigerians, and we are going to provide the world class entertainment centre that would attract people all over the world.

Source: http://www.businessdayonline.com/?c=55&a=7093
Re: The Nigerian Entertainment Industry Is Taking A New Turn With The Emergence Of R by Tmoni(m): 8:19pm On Jun 19, 2006
please,how can i in get in touch with the management of DreamWorld because a friend and i had the same business idea in Port -Harcourt .It did not leave the drawing board because of the negative reactions from the banks who have refused not to change their MYOPIC views on UPCOMING ENTERPRENEURS.I am also to inherit some money about the end of the year and would want to partake in the lucrative projects.
Re: The Nigerian Entertainment Industry Is Taking A New Turn With The Emergence Of R by johnie: 5:51pm On Mar 27, 2012
What's happening to this dream?

(1) (Reply)

Has Anyone Received Wire Transfer In Nigeria Through UBA Savings Account? / We Need Buyers For Palm Kernel SHELL and Palm Kernel CHARCOAL / How To Earn $500 Or More Daily Legal Profit On Facebook Without Scamming.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.