Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,775 members, 7,955,962 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:45 PM

Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical? (1952 Views)

Problems With Biblical Inerrancy / Satan Called A Worldwide Convention Of Demons / Final Coffin On The Virgin Birth Doctrine Of Demons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:46am On Dec 14, 2013
Is the "binding and loosing" of demons biblical?

One of the most common expressions in contemporary Christianity is "I bind you, Satan, in the name of Jesus." Biblically however, the phrase "binding and loosing" has nothing whatsoever to do with demons.

First, when Jesus told the disciples, "Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven" (Matthew 16:19), he was not talking about demons but discipline. In other words, in the context of church discipline, those who repent are to be "loosed" (i.e., restored to fellowship). Those who persist in sin are to be "bound" (i.e., removed from fellowship). Demons are totally foreign to the context.

Furthermore, humans are not authorized anywhere in Scripture to "bind or loose" Satan. Even the archangel Michael did not tackle Satan on his own. Despite his wisdom and power, he called on God to rebuke Satan. Christians should never suppose that they are smart enough to engage Satan on their own. Rather they, like Michael, should pray, "The Lord rebuke you" (Jude 9).

Finally, while it makes sense to ask the Lord to "bind" the power of demons in the sense of thwarting their plans to undo us, to "loose" Satan and his minions makes no sense at all. Thus, common sense alone should be enough to convince us that biblically "binding and loosing" has nothing whatsoever to do with demons. –Hank Hanegraaff | The Complete Bible Answer Book

For further study on biblical spiritual warfare, see Hank Hanegraaff, The Covering: God's Plan to Protect You from Evil (Nashville:W Publishing, 2002). http://www.equip.org/bookstore/the-covering-2/

"If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector. “I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. “Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." -- Matthew 18:15–20
Re: Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:47am On Dec 14, 2013
Any objections or questions?
Re: Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical? by Taiwo20(m): 3:02am On Dec 14, 2013
Well
Re: Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:05am On Dec 14, 2013
Taiwo20:

Well

It is well in the well. wink
Re: Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical? by Joagbaje(m): 10:22am On Dec 14, 2013
OLAADEGBU: Any objections or questions?

Yes o,

Furthermore, humans are not authorized anywhere in Scripture to "bind or loose" Satan. Even the archangel Michael did not tackle Satan on his own. Despite his wisdom and power, he called on God to rebuke Satan. Christians should never suppose that they are smart enough to engage Satan on their own. Rather they, like Michael, should pray, "The Lord rebuke you" (Jude 9).

While I agree with you that we cannot bind Satan ,if satan can be bound we could have just bound him once and for all. we must also know that there's difference between satan and demons . The only time satan has to be bound in person is in the millennial reign of christ.

But in all these , a believer has authority over demons and satan .does not need to talk to God to about them .

We can't compare ourselves to angels . We have authority as sons while they serve us.

We can't ask God to cast devils out or ask him to rebuke the devil. The power over devils is with every believers . We can excercise authority just as Jesus did.

Luke 9:1
Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.

Luke 10:19
Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy:and nothing shall by any means hurt you

1 Like

Re: Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical? by Goshen360(m): 1:01pm On Dec 14, 2013
OLAADEGBU:
Is the "binding and loosing" of demons biblical?

One of the most common expressions in contemporary Christianity is "I bind you, Satan, in the name of Jesus." Biblically however, the phrase "binding and loosing" has nothing whatsoever to do with demons.

First, when Jesus told the disciples, "Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven" (Matthew 16:19), he was not talking about demons but discipline. In other words, in the context of church discipline, those who repent are to be "loosed" (i.e., restored to fellowship). Those who persist in sin are to be "bound" (i.e., removed from fellowship). Demons are totally foreign to the context.

Finally, while it makes sense to ask the Lord to "bind" the power of demons in the sense of thwarting their plans to undo us, to "loose" Satan and his minions makes no sense at all. Thus, common sense alone should be enough to convince us that biblically "binding and loosing" has nothing whatsoever to do with demons. –Hank Hanegraaff | The Complete Bible Answer Book

For further study on biblical spiritual warfare, see Hank Hanegraaff, The Covering: God's Plan to Protect You from Evil (Nashville:W Publishing, 2002). http://www.equip.org/bookstore/the-covering-2/

"If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector. “I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. “Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." -- Matthew 18:15–20

Ola, you posted this article. First, I want to ask, do YOU completely agree with everything in that article, line by line.
Re: Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:48pm On Dec 14, 2013
Joagbaje:

Yes o,

Fire on my broad. cheesy

Joagbaje:

While I agree with you that we cannot bind Satan ,if satan can be bound we could have just bound him once and for all. we must also know that there's difference between satan and demons . The only time satan has to be bound in person is in the millennial reign of christ.

Agreed but can you please expatiate on the difference between satan and demons? Do you mean demons can be bound?

Joagbaje:

But in all these , a believer has authority over demons and satan .does not need to talk to God to about them .

Agreed.

Joagbaje:

We can't compare ourselves to angels . We have authority as sons while they serve us.

Good point.

Joagbaje:

We can't ask God to cast devils out or ask him to rebuke the devil. The power over devils is with every believers . We can excercise authority just as Jesus did.

Luke 9:1
Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.

Luke 10:19
Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy:and nothing shall by any means hurt you

No problem with that. My question still remains: Are we allowed to "bind or loose" demons biblically?
Re: Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:52pm On Dec 14, 2013
Goshen360:

Ola, you posted this article. First, I want to ask, do YOU completely agree with everything in that article, line by line.

Oh Gosh! I know this is a controversial article and that is why 'am asking for questions or objections. Don't worry about what I agree or don't agree about. Do you have any objections to the article posted? If yes, present your case.
Re: Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical? by Image123(m): 10:50pm On Dec 14, 2013
i think the bind thing is from this passage.

Mark 3:27 No man can enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house.
Re: Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:23pm On Dec 15, 2013
Image123:

i think the bind thing is from this passage.

Mark 3:27 No man can enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house.

This is a very good point. The Bible also corroborates this in Isaiah 49:24-25

"Shall the prey be taken from the mighty, or the lawful captive delivered? But thus saith the LORD, Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken away, and the prey of the terrible shall be delivered: for I will contend with him that contendeth with thee, and I will save thy children "

So we can safely say:

"Satan, we bind you and render you helpless in this situation and as a matter of record, you are hereby bound in the Name of Jesus!" If you agree with this prayer say Amen.
Re: Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical? by Image123(m): 8:09pm On Dec 15, 2013
Amen, though as usual, people tend to abuse things.
Re: Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical? by Joagbaje(m): 1:58pm On Dec 16, 2013
OLAADEGBU:
Agreed but can you please expatiate on the difference between satan and demons? Do you mean demons can be bound?

Not much though except that people use a generic word . "The devil" like rebuke the devil , bind the devil etc . Without differentiating satan from demons. Satan is not omnipresent , he mostly use his demons who are every where in numbers . And from my understanding these demons have other spirits working with them . Called evil spirits They are responsible for most human problem like sprcific sicknesses . Eg spirit of pain, Fear, fibroid etc. or someone with sexual problem may have spirit of lust,matubation , ,obsession ,fantasy . Inferiority etc. A demonised person may have one demonic principality in him controlling theses other spirits. . So we use terms such as demon, devil, unclean spirit, evil spirt , spirit of infirmity in some cases. But we must know what we are dealing with to have best result.

No problem with that. My question still remains: Are we allowed to "bind or loose" demons biblically?

No , it's based on misapplication of scripture just as image123 pointed out.

We we commanded to cast them out.

1 Like

Re: Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:10pm On Dec 16, 2013
Image123:

Amen, though as usual, people tend to abuse things.

Abuse things ke? Can you please be specific on how people "abuse things?"
Re: Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:16pm On Dec 16, 2013
Joagbaje:

Not much though except that people use a generic word . "The devil" like rebuke the devil , bind the devil etc . Without differentiating satan from demons. Satan is not omnipresent , he mostly use his demons who are every where in numbers . And from my understanding these demons have other spirits working with them . Called evil spirits They are responsible for most human problem like sprcific sicknesses . Eg spirit of pain, Fear, fibroid etc. or someone with sexual problem may have spirit of lust,matubation , ,obsession ,fantasy . Inferiority etc. A demonised person may have one demonic principality in him controlling theses other spirits. . So we use terms such as demon, devil, unclean spirit, evil spirt , spirit of infirmity in some cases. But we must know what we are dealing with to have best result.

Thank you.

Joagbaje:

No , it's based on misapplication of scripture just as image123 pointed out.

So it is wrong to bind and loose demos biblically? If yes, what about Mark 3:27 that image123 quoted? How will you apply this in spiritual warfare?

Joagbaje:

We we commanded to cast them out.

Going by the example of our Lord Jesus Christ, He simply cast them out.
Re: Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical? by Joagbaje(m): 5:28pm On Dec 16, 2013
[quote author=OLAADEGBU]
So it is wrong to bind and loose demos biblically? If yes, what about Mark 3:27 that image123 quoted? How will you apply this in spiritual warfare? [/quote ]

My understanding of the passage is about resisting the devil and his work by rebuke .

When we rebuke the satan his work is resisted in that particular case . Not that a rope ties Satan.

For example talking about someone who is resistant to the gospel , paul says such one is blinded by satan.

2 Corinthians 4:3-4
But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

If I have such case , I will rebuke the devil to loose his hold from the mans understanding that the gospel light will be receptive to his spirit . Then I go and preach.

When I rebuke the devil Ftom the mans mind , satsnic work of resisting the gospel will be paralysed for us to rush the message of salvation to such a one.

Going by the example of our Lord Jesus Christ, He simply cast them out.

Those who have demons in them needed to have them cast out but some just have demonic influence Externally

1 Like

Re: Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:25am On Dec 20, 2013
Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical?

Re: Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical? by Image123(m): 11:13am On Dec 20, 2013
This one na demon? e don break oh
Re: Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Dec 20, 2013
The terms binding and loosening of demons are used quite erroneously.

A demon is bound to you when you send it off to do your bidding. For instance an entity is invoked and given a specified task and send off on its way. For the period it is carrying out its duties it is bound by its creator. When it completes its task and returns, one then carries out the banishing ritual that will dissipate it. Most demons will feed off the energy of its creator and will in most cases seek to overcome its creator, in ALL cases nothing goes for nothing, there’s a price to pay.

It might be worthwhile pointing out that most demons and entities started out as gods and deities who were repressed and oppressed by main religions, the idea that you can wag a finger at a demon and cast it out is both laughable and dangerous in extremesis, as one who has helped others remove undue influences on their psyche I will also say most people will thankfully never encounter one.

Well tell a lie, actually there is Lilith…a female demon of unreasonableness (every man has encountered this one) and of course incubus and succubus that many who are sexually repressed will manifest.

To further clarify,(to guys in particular) the gender of the incubus/succubus regardless of what form you encounter it ..is always male.

Just my two cents

1 Like

Re: Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:16pm On Dec 22, 2013
Image123:

This one na demon? e don break oh

I no blame am. Im eyes don see fire, thunder and a horrible tempest for im bodi. grin grin grin
Re: Is The "Binding And Loosing" Of Demons Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:29am On Dec 23, 2013
James 4:7 says “Resist the devil and he will flee from you”. It is really quite incredible. Evil and the devil are forces that dominate history. Yet we have power over Satan in the name of Jesus. Satan trembles when he sees the weakest saint upon his knees. One believer in the name of Jesus has more power against evil than all armed forces. No battleship, plane or tank can change a sinner into a saint. Imagine if that had happened to Adolf Hitler! And it could have done it, if it had not been for the loss of Christian witness in Germany from the days of the so-called Enlightenment and the coming of the Bible critics. We reaped what we sowed. It is by this fragile being called man, and by the broken figure of Christ impaled and immobilized on a cross that God has already broken the power of Satan. He will continue to do so until victory is complete. That is why we are so important to God. We are the key to His universal plans. Evil will be eliminated. That is found in the famous text in Genesis 3:15 “The Lord God said to the serpent: ‘I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel’”. Thank God for Jesus. God bless you. REINHARD BONNKE

(1) (Reply)

Reverse Torah Ritual # To Prevent Another Major World War (must read) / Trump Can't Bite- Nigerian Muslims React / "Atheists Are Smarter Than Religious People"!!!---recent Study

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.