Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,692 members, 7,955,616 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:54 AM

Where Does Programming Belong? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Where Does Programming Belong? (964 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Does Programming Belong? by Knownpal(m): 6:27am On Dec 16, 2013
I've always wondered is programming a skill or a talent, they asked us to have a skill, I'm learning programming and also we're asked to boost our talents. My question is, can programming/technological knowledge [photographing, video coverage etc] also be called a talent?
Re: Where Does Programming Belong? by Afam4eva(m): 6:44am On Dec 16, 2013
A talent comes natural while a skill is acquired. No one has programming as a talent.
Re: Where Does Programming Belong? by EzePromoe: 7:46am On Dec 16, 2013
Programming is a skill you back up with talents, like intelligence and ingenuity.

1 Like

Re: Where Does Programming Belong? by mkwayisi: 5:10pm On Dec 16, 2013
Programming is a combination of science and art.

Generally, science is defined as the study of the physical and natural world using theoretical models and data from experiments or observation. How does that relate to programming? See, as you're learning programming, you will, by all means, write lots of buggy code before you can fully understand what a "bug" really is. In addition, you will try out several data structures, algorithms, design patterns, etc.; many of which won't work. All these things shape you intellectually to become a better programmer. There . . . experiments.

According to Bill Gates (admittedly, not the best of programmers), "the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written." He admits that he was hugely influenced by the writers of the the PDP operating system because he thoroughly studied their code that he sometimes fished from garbage cans. One interesting thing he believes is that "one of the finest tests of programming ability is to hand the programmer about 30 pages of code and see how quickly he can read through and understand it." There . . . observation.

However, programming hasn't been able to be broken down into components so that programs written by programmers can by themselves write other programs yet. Because of this, conventional wisdom has it that programming needs creativity and design; a kind of craft that has a master. Programs need to be designed and worked on without a conclusive end, like painting. If there is no way for a procedure to be perfected or made flawless, it therefore cannot be called science. It's probably an art. Yes, there . . . art.

So programming is a combination of skill (science) and talent (art). That is my opinion; I'm entitled to it, the same way you are also to yours.

3 Likes

Re: Where Does Programming Belong? by Sibrah: 11:41am On Dec 18, 2013
It is a skill u acquire to implement abstract representation of real life objects and processes, once you r able to implement a process or entity u r familiar with you may then begin to see urself as an artist. That fact the computers can process instructions much more faster than humans thenmakes ur program attractive. u can create recreational process [games], business process [enterprise application], utility [simulators] etc as programs as long as your familiar with the logic involved.

1 Like

Re: Where Does Programming Belong? by Jeffahead: 11:57pm On Dec 19, 2013
Anyone can learn how to program. But those with talent find it easy.
Re: Where Does Programming Belong? by OjoMadiba: 9:25am On Dec 26, 2013
I want to learn programming but i dn't have a laptop. (funny isn't it?)
Re: Where Does Programming Belong? by Knownpal(m): 10:44am On Dec 26, 2013
Do you have an android phone?? If yes, then you can start.
Re: Where Does Programming Belong? by Dhelake: 6:45pm On Dec 26, 2013
Known_pal: Do you have an android phone?? If yes, then you can start.
can one program with it... if Yes... how??
Re: Where Does Programming Belong? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Dec 26, 2013
I no nd have Qpython(Python on android) nd c4droid(c nd c++ on android) is there any app 4 Java?
Re: Where Does Programming Belong? by Knownpal(m): 10:56am On Dec 27, 2013
Preboy: I no nd have Qpython(Python on android) nd c4droid(c nd c++ on android) is there any app 4 Java?

I've never tried it.
AIDE - Android IDE - Java, C++
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aide.ui
Re: Where Does Programming Belong? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Dec 27, 2013
Known_pal:

I've never tried it.
AIDE - Android IDE - Java, C++
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aide.ui
tanks I'll try it asap, do I need a editor lyk droidnote 4 it?
Re: Where Does Programming Belong? by Knownpal(m): 1:20pm On Dec 27, 2013
Preboy: tanks I'll try it asap, do I need a editor lyk droidnote 4 it?
It has an in-built editor.
Re: Where Does Programming Belong? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Dec 27, 2013
Known_pal:
It has an in-built editor.
tanks dude, may God add more intelligence to u
Re: Where Does Programming Belong? by Knownpal(m): 3:41pm On Dec 27, 2013
Preboy: tanks dude, may God add more intelligence to u
Amen. You're welcome, I'm happy to be of help
Re: Where Does Programming Belong? by Nobody: 10:59pm On Dec 27, 2013
Known_pal: Amen. You're welcome, I'm happy to be of help
I just finished downloading the app nd I must say that the next year will be ur year of prosperity, I would love to contact u somehow in case I need help again via 2go, Facebook, whatsapp, bbm
Re: Where Does Programming Belong? by Knownpal(m): 2:43am On Dec 28, 2013
Preboy: I just finished downloading the app nd I must say that the next year will be ur year of prosperity, I would love to contact u somehow in case I need help again via 2go, Facebook, whatsapp, bbm
Amen. My Facebook handle: www.facebook.com/Solesty7
Re: Where Does Programming Belong? by Excel23: 8:08am On Dec 28, 2013
can it work on small andriods phones?
Re: Where Does Programming Belong? by Nobody: 8:13am On Dec 28, 2013
Excel23: can it work on small andriods phones?
ya it can, am presently using tecno m3

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Government To Compel Foreign Firms To Use Locally Developed Software / Please Does Anyone Knows What To Do In My Case! / Check Out My Android App (naija Newspaper)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.