Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,721 members, 7,955,700 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:16 PM

The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela (2742 Views)

Revealed: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Nelson Mandela / What Chris Rock Had To Say About NELSON MANDELA Before His Death / SEE What C.ronaldo Has To Say About Nelson Mandela's Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by Nobody: 3:36am On Dec 21, 2013
Kanye West is under fire today for claiming that he will soon be a bigger cultural and civil rights icon than Nelson Mandela.

In an interview with WGCI radio in Chicago, the notoriously self-promoting rapper said that yesterday’s death of the 95-year-old South African leader will finally allow people to focus more of their attention on West’s own accomplishments.

In the studio to promote his new music video Bound 2, the conversation soon turned to the day’s biggest news out of South Africa. West was asked who he thought on the world stage today could possibly replace Nelson Mandela in terms of leadership, and hisunconventional answer left heads spinning.

“I am the next Nelson Mandela,” West responded. “I’m only 36 years old, and when I look at everything I’ve accomplished, it’s the only comparison that makes any sense. By the time I’m 95, I’m going to be a bigger hero than he ever was.

“Nelson Mandela did a lot of good work, don’t get me wrong. But I think I’m on track to do something even bigger. I liberate minds with my music. That’s more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever.

“Not to say Mandela wasn’t for real. I have mad respect. I just think we need to keep things in perspective here. Anyone can be replaced. And I think I’m well on my way towards being the next great black leader. I’m already worshiped around the world. And there’s more to come.”

Kanye West, for his part, is known for going to extraordinary lengths to focus attention on himself. His reaction today was so unusual, however, that host Adrian Cronauer decided to challenge his assertions.

“What have you actually done for civil rights?” he asked. “Have you been involved in any campaigns? Any political activities? It seems to me comparing yourself to Mandela is a bit of a stretch.”

“I’ve blazed a trail with my career,” West responded. “I faced mad racism when I entered this profession. I mean how many black rappers can you name that came before me? I was a pioneer. And now I’m doing the same thing in the fashion world.

“Not to mention I have a bigger market than he ever did. Mandela was working in South Africa, which has, like what, six people? I started my magic here in the USA and then I took my business global. Worldwide baby.

“I just want everyone out there to know. I see y’all crying on the TV. Being all sad. Just know that Kanye’sgonna carry on Mandela’s legacy. There’s nothing to worry about. I got this.”
Re: The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by Polio: 3:37am On Dec 21, 2013
Kanye West is deluded!

Pay no attention to that buck toothed vagabond

1 Like

Re: The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by initialize(m): 3:56am On Dec 21, 2013
Kanye! Kanye!! Kanye!!! No be North East papa be this?
Re: The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by RoyalRoy(m): 5:56am On Dec 21, 2013
That dude should quit smoking crack.

He aint making no sense in the interview.
Re: The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by IAMBREEZY: 6:20am On Dec 21, 2013
We all know yeezy is an arsehole no need to hate on him nobody can change that from him.
Re: The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by DrakeKendrick(m): 6:35am On Dec 21, 2013
Kanye is always improvident in his interviews...He thinks he would ever be greater than madiba? naaah....he's just intellectually myopic...*keeps brushing my teeth*

1 Like

Re: The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by Kairoseki77: 6:41am On Dec 21, 2013
It's unbelievable because it is not true!

Check your sources. This is a rumour that was disproven weeks ago!

Kanye said no such thing!

1 Like

Re: The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by Nobody: 7:32am On Dec 21, 2013
Source or it didnt happen. Internet generation, anyone with internet access considers himself a voice these days.

1 Like

Re: The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by Tsmooth1(m): 7:42am On Dec 21, 2013
Who cares if he surpass Madiba? Btw is Madiba supreme being?
Re: The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by orezyola(f): 8:04am On Dec 21, 2013
....... I will be back wen it make Fp
Re: The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by ednut1(m): 8:39am On Dec 21, 2013
must hv sniffed kardashians Kitty last nit

1 Like

Re: The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by ULSHERLAN(m): 9:34am On Dec 21, 2013
Okies let's assume he surpasses madiba. One thing is certain, his funeral will never be as first class as madiba's funeral was with several high profile around the world present. Dayummmm!!! Madiba is a LEGEND and something history will forever talk about though kanye west will be talked about but never for a long time grin
Re: The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by skyscraperTM(m): 9:46am On Dec 21, 2013
Dude is suffering from mental slavery.
Re: The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by ShyDare(m): 10:01am On Dec 21, 2013
He's on a self-destruct mode, his camp nid 2rein him in. His idiotic actions/words is already hurting his career. Those dat d gods wants 2destroy, d gods wil make dem mad 1st.
Re: The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by Suc4live(m): 10:55am On Dec 21, 2013
God made man in his own image n gave us his own breathe.... we ar God.. demi god! Dats wat kanye's been tryin to preach thru his music n lifestyle.. nobody is better than u or more blessed... kanye is a mental warrior n he will do better than madiba but ur enslaved mind wont notice cuz u dont see pass ordinary. .. peace!
Re: The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by DonaldGenes(m): 11:39am On Dec 21, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
Dude is suffering from mental slavery.

Mr Self servicer,how you and your vaseline
Re: The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by Waspy(m): 12:04pm On Dec 21, 2013
Kanye is sick. The rate at which he's pissing pple off these days eh, he'll soon run out of urine angry
Re: The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by Tuso(m): 12:24pm On Dec 21, 2013
So wat if he said dat..all he is saying is dat, Mandela is not God..Sum pple can surpass wat he did..wat he did was 4 south Africans..as a Ghanaian, am not in any way influenced by him..
Re: The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by Nobody: 12:38pm On Dec 21, 2013
Well, I'm not surprised. It's Kanye West for Satan's sake.
Re: The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by Nobody: 4:30pm On Dec 21, 2013
kanye West is a loud dude, ignore him.
Re: The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by skyscraperTM(m): 6:50pm On Dec 21, 2013
Donalð Genes:

Mr Self servicer,how you and your vaseline
Austeenx stole my vaseline.
Re: The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by Nobody: 9:40pm On Dec 24, 2013
Worship kanye west ke?say wetin happen?how is he sure he would live at age 95?this guy is high on poo!

By the way, ice cube,dre,snoop dogg,prodigy,jadakiss,tupac,B.I.G,birdman,chamillonaire,nas were already in the rap game before the swollen cheeks north west father made it.
Re: The Unbelievable Thing Kanye West Said About Nelson Mandela by maingwaest(f): 4:26am On Dec 25, 2013
Really kanye? Before u bro there were men who did not just exel in music but also in the fashion world and yes PDD actually did that before u were even heard of. Yes Mandela is not the almighty like some people term him to be but no matter how much ur illuminati or wotever it is they call it make u belive u ll eventually become, "that is if u did not die an untimly death" u ll never be as BIG as Madiba. Kinda love ur music tho.

(1) (Reply)

Photos Leaks Of Argentine Striker Ezequiel Lavezzi Giving Head To A Woman / Aki & Pawpaw Are Sisters In This New Movie LOL / Omg!!!……..would You Eat This Type Of Bodybuilding Chicken? (photos) (must See)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.