Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,163 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:13 AM

Nigerian 'paganism' Thread - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigerian 'paganism' Thread (3875 Views)

Roots In Paganism / Paganism And Catholicism: Sun Worship Symbols / Difference Between Traditional Paganism And Abrahamic Monotheism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian 'paganism' Thread by lanaVello1(m): 11:35pm On Dec 22, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

What do you mean by 'domestic Gods'
I mean our own domestic gods-the ones our traditions honor- If yu still dont geddit,a dico wud do. Do I take your reply as an affirmation of my post?
Re: Nigerian 'paganism' Thread by OlaoChi: 11:44pm On Dec 22, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

What do you mean by 'domestic Gods'

The Gods are Universal. It is just the names they are referred to by and the rituals , etc., associated with the particular Gods that differs from tribe to tribe based on the language , culture, etc.

E.g., Sango is loosely equal to Amadioha who is losely equal to Thor ,etc.

So you mean These Gods exist everywhere with loose features depending on the culture and language?
Re: Nigerian 'paganism' Thread by ezeagu(m): 4:49am On Dec 23, 2013
aManFromMars:

Actually it does. I'm Igbo and have been scouring the web for information on Odinani/Omenala. The resources I've found have been few and far between and I haven't found any practitioners on this board. I was hoping you are one.

Anyways, guess you're not, following your thread sha tongue

Oh, I thought otherwise of your intensions. Anyway, this thread has gone to shit now because of the Righteous Christians of Nigeria™, so maybe another thread.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian 'paganism' Thread by Mynd44: 7:01am On Dec 23, 2013
If you ain't discussing paganism, please stay off this thread.

@Pagan9ja, I have been doing some reading on the relationship between Greek, Roman and Egyptian mythology(I dont know if that word is offensive if it is, no offense month) so the Egyptian God Amun Ra is the Lord of the wind King and Gods but how does that relate to the Greek's Zeus (Lord of Lightning) and King of Gods there.

Now we can draw similarities between Sango, Amadioha, Thor and Zeus, I think they are the same Identity in different localized variants(again no offence meant) but the stories about their lives, powers and position in the pecking order is so different, sometimes, it feels they are not the same. Now why do you think this is so?

An oh, be nice to me, I am just trying to understand some basic points

1 Like

Re: Nigerian 'paganism' Thread by raptureready: 7:32am On Dec 23, 2013
ezeagu:

Oh, I thought otherwise of your intensions. Anyway, this thread has gone to shit now because of the Righteous Christians of Nigeria™, so maybe another thread.

Apologies @ezeagu and @pagan9ja, you guys seem like nice people. I'll stay on course.

Some other pagan made this confusing claim that sango is electrical energy or something like that?

Can somebody please discuss that?

PS @ezeagu your name translates to "lion king" right? Are you simba grin? No insult intended.
Re: Nigerian 'paganism' Thread by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:42am On Dec 23, 2013
OlaoChi:

So you mean These Gods exist everywhere with loose features depending on the culture and language?

Ofcourse. The Gods are not owned by the Tribes.

You cant expect a Yoruba man to call the God of Thunder as Thor.

Because Thor is a word in Norse language and the imagery associate with Thor will be synonymous with Norse culture.

Every Tribe in the world has its own ways of expression towards the Higher powers.

This is the reason why Pagan religions are non-proselytzing.
Re: Nigerian 'paganism' Thread by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:44am On Dec 23, 2013
ezeagu:

sorry brother.
Re: Nigerian 'paganism' Thread by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:57am On Dec 23, 2013
Mynd_44: If you ain't discussing paganism, please stay off this thread.

@Pagan9ja, I have been doing some reading on the relationship between Greek, Roman and Egyptian mythology(I dont know if that word is offensive if it is, no offense month) so the Egyptian God Amun Ra is the Lord of the wind King and Gods but how does that relate to the Greek's Zeus (Lord of Lightning) and King of Gods there.

Now we can draw similarities between Sango, Amadioha, Thor and Zeus, I think they are the same Identity in different localized variants(again no offence meant) but the stories about their lives, powers and position in the pecking order is so different, sometimes, it feels they are not the same. Now why do you think this is so?

An oh, be nice to me, I am just trying to understand some basic points

When you take the Mythologies into context, different religions have different ways of explaining certain events such as Creation, etc.
Therefore the position of the Gods is very loose or fluid.
Thus you will see 1 God has more than 1 attribute, which are ofcourse related.

You won't for example, find a God of fertility and destruction/underworld at the same time. The attributes must be related. The basis of the relation is then again, explained in the sequence of events that take place in the Mythology.

Therefore you will find 1 God in 1 religion to have the attributes of another God in another religion of a different hierarchy, imagery, and/or sequence.

The people of a tribe are actually like a cosmos unto their own. They are like a separate species. You will notice that creation myths of tribes only explain the creation of the tribe, who are dealt with as if they are the only people in the world.

Therefore, the expression towards the Gods and the attributes of the Gods themselves, vary and differ according to the different tribes that come under the Greater Ethnic Groups.
However there are underlying similarities which make it Universal.

For example, Fertility rituals, sacrifice, divination, rain-making, etc. It all comes down to the worshiper. The worshiper is well aware what he/she is worshiping and which force he/she is concentrating on.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian 'paganism' Thread by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:02am On Dec 23, 2013
rapture_ready:

Apologies @ezeagu and @pagan9ja, you guys seem like nice people. I'll stay on course.

Some other pagan made this confusing claim that sango is electrical energy or something like that?

Can somebody please discuss that?

PS @ezeagu your name translates to "lion king" right? Are you simba grin? No insult intended.

You are referring to the Yoruba Ninjas. grin

(just kidding brothers Macof , Folykase). wink

Anyways in my opinion, I think Sango represents the Electrical Energy/Thunder. Sango is present in eveything involving such energies.
Therefore Sango is electrical Energy. I feel this is what was implied.

Just like the Creator God is Creation itself. It is the SPiritual Parallel required for all things concerning Creation to take place.

When you pray to the Creator, you are praying to Creation for Creation to intervene help the Created and/or for things involving creation. something like that. .

1 Like

Re: Nigerian 'paganism' Thread by raptureready: 8:28am On Dec 23, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Anyways in my opinion, I think Sango represents the Electrical Energy/Thunder. Sango is present in eveything involving such energies.
Therefore Sango is electrical Energy. I feel this is what was implied.

I no still understand O sad

Is sango a living personality?

Or just pure electrical energy? That is, another way of saying "current" or "voltage"?

Science says that lightning is caused by potential difference between a negatively charged atmosphere and a positively charged earth. If sango causes lightning, is he/it what is referred to as "potential difference"?

Human beings can induce lighting on their own, this experiment has been performed thousands of times in various laboratories. If I set up 2 electrodes apart at a distance, and charge them up to high enough voltages, the insulation of the air between them will breakdown and "lighning" and "thunder" will occur. How does that correlate to the whole sango/thor/amadioha thing?
Re: Nigerian 'paganism' Thread by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:42am On Dec 23, 2013
rapture_ready:

I no still understand O sad

Is sango a living personality?

Or just pure electrical energy? That is, another way of saying "current" or "voltage"?

Sango is a God, not a living person. The "living" Sango was a powerful King of Oyo.

Sango is a SPiritual Parallel of Electricity. Sango is Involved in anything concerning the Energies.

These are beyond human control.

Science says that lightning is caused by potential difference between a negatively charged atmosphere and a positively charged earth. If sango causes lightning, is he/it what is referred to as "potential difference"?

Interesting analysis. I personally don't think Sango is P.D. P.D. is just the difference in voltage. However this is open to debate. why dont you suggest your conclusion on this thread? : https://www.nairaland.com/1556154/sango-electrical-energy.a-debate-btw/1

Human beings can induce lighting on their own, this experiment has been performed thousands of times in various laboratories. If I set up 2 electrodes apart at a distance, and charge them up to high enough voltages, the insulation of the air between them will breakdown and "lighning" and "thunder" will occur. How does that correlate to the whole sango/thor/amadioha thing?

True. This you are talking about the material realm. The SPiritual realm is beyond human control. Therefore Sango is present whenver there is Electrical Energy involved.
However the Spiritual realm can be influenced under certain conditions.

Can you post these same points on this thread? : https://www.nairaland.com/1556154/sango-electrical-energy.a-debate-btw/1

I want to see what those experts have to say on this.
Re: Nigerian 'paganism' Thread by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:13am On Dec 23, 2013
Rapture ready.

I think the mistake we people make is taking allegory in a literal sense.

Sango from the best I know is an electrical energy who is said to fight with thunder stone (jakuta). It truth that there was a king called Sango in Old Oyo but history made us to know that there had been Jakuta (sango cult) prior to the king. He was named sango because he possessed the potential of devicing the energetic sango when he was on earth. Since he mastered this, he is called after it. Just in the way blacksmith are called Ogun.

I think Africans should work scholarly together and decipher myths attribute attached to this deities. It blown your mind when I told you Norse god Tyr is planet mars, Odin represent Mercury and Thor represent Jupiter. The worst hit was when I told you lucifer 'morning star' is planet Venus. But the fact is that you are taking this Gods to be human or monsters or mythical figures. I just wondered when you said these gods are in the museum. Lol.....like saying planet Venus is in the museum.

Spirituality to the best I know birthed science.....if you are looking at it from scientifical sides, it might look like bullshit. The fact I know is that spirituality is deep rotten in the understanding of the multiverse.

It very complicated and might lead to wrong conception if you handle this things on literal surface. Lets take for example....Orun translates to Heaven could mean Zenith and also mean Womb. So if a yoruba person is describing a womb and use Orun, you might get it wrong when you translate it to mean celestial sphere.

Would you be mind blown again if I tell you that Yemoja - deity of the sea is Icy comet considering the 'universe in place hypothesis'? The hypothesis took allegory that Yemoja is a beautiful woman who live with other Orisa in the days when women were scared in heaven. Everybody want to have sex with her including his son. And she got pregnant but this is a great abomination to have a man on her mother so they planned to kill her and her son. She took to her race toward earth as her son agreed to kill her with his hand and also take his own life. On the course of running, she fell and her belly hit the ground. Her babies (Osun- fresh water, Olokun - salty water, orisa Aje - cowries and others making them sixteen) were out of her opened belly. Science explained that water on this earth were from the Icy comets that bombarded planet earth. They hitted the ground from outer space which which birth body of water. Nollywood on the other side depict Yemoja as half fish half human. So you would know which one to take whether the coded message or the painted myth.

You would be suprised if you know i'm an atheist. Spiritual atheist to be specific. Yoruba paganism to me is more like naturalistic pantheism. If you understand pantheism....you would know it related to spiritual atheism and when God is used in their illustrations, they are refering to natural forces/energies not monsters.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian 'paganism' Thread by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:25am On Dec 23, 2013
FOLYKAZE: Nollywood on the other side depict Yemoja as half fish half human.

*smh. . tongue
Re: Nigerian 'paganism' Thread by macof(m): 1:04pm On Oct 09, 2014
Can't believe am just seeing this thread. You all should come out and continue preaching the knowledge of the ancestors

1 Like

Re: Nigerian 'paganism' Thread by ezeagu(m): 7:02pm On Oct 13, 2014
I agree. Anyone for anything more to contribute?
Re: Nigerian 'paganism' Thread by macof(m): 12:09pm On Oct 18, 2014
Lemme share this story I saw on Orishada.com

Apetebi is the name given to wife of Orunmila.
It is also the name Orunmila gave to the wife of a Babalawo.
In the Odu Ifa Ogbe Sa, Ifa gives the story of how the Apeeibi became the wife of Orunmila. Ifa relates that Orunmila went to war in the town of Ilu obirin after all the efforts of the other Orisha were unsuccessful. Orunmila consulted Ifa, made
the proper sacrifice and subsequently was able to defeat the uprising in Ilu obirin. The town of Iluobirin was inhabited by only women. These women were tied together with rope and taken back to the town where Orunmila resided. Once they arrived in town Orunmila’s advisers wanted to kill all of the women. Instead of killing the
women Orunmila decided to make them Apetebi.

The difference between an Apetebi and an Iyanifa
(female Ifa priest) is that an Apetebi is not
necessarily initiated to Ifa but is a wife of a
Babalawo. Whereas an Iyanifa is not only initiated to Ifa but is a learned Ifa priest.
After a woman marries a Babalawo, she is
required to clean the area and house of Ifa every 5 days. It is necessary to keep the area where Ifa rests clean. She is always to take water to visitors when they arrive in the home. She must also honor her husband and cannot be rude. She should be respectful of all her husband;s omo
Awo. She must be the keeper of her husband’s secrets and be careful of her words outside the home.
A Babalawo’s duties to an Apetebi include treating his wife with respect. He cannot beat or use harsh words towards her but must be cool tempered and patient. If a problem arises between a Babalawo and his his it must be solved amiably.
When feeding Ifa the Apetibi should bring Esin and use these materials to pray. There are many songs specific to Apetibi. In the Oketase temple in Ile-Ife, the Apetibi have Aro, which are roles specific to Apetibi in the Agboniregun and Ifa festivals. When Odu is being carried out Apetibi have Orin that is sung specifically at that time.
During each occasion there are many necessary assignments and duties the Apetibi must perform. Through these many tasks the wives of Orunmila receive the blessings of Ifa.
Respect that is given to a Babalawo is also given to his Apetibi. The Apetibi has power. She was given cowries by Orunmila to divine for his clients in his absence. The Apetibi can divine with erindilogun. She has access to all of the Orisha houses. However she can never into the house of Odu or Oro. These places are forbidden to female. The Apetibi will wear Ide Ifa and
traditional cloting. Another babalaow can never sit in the place where an Apetibi has just vacated.
The Apetebi is a valued member of the Ifa
community.
Omo ti a fi etebi ki a ma pe ni Apetebi
Lubedo siko aya mi no
Ajagbakira aya mi ni se
Eri mi e dasi yayaya
Edo koyaya
O to ka daesi doko nu ka wa sere gba yi o
Emorora ka o emo ku aribo ode o
Ifa ati Orisa a gba wa o ase
Re: Nigerian 'paganism' Thread by Nobody: 10:24pm On Aug 20, 2015
Bump. Macof and pagan9ja still around?
Re: Nigerian 'paganism' Thread by macof(m): 10:25am On Aug 21, 2015
musKeeto:
Bump. Macof and pagan9ja still around?

We still here

Nice to see you're back

1 Like

Re: Nigerian 'paganism' Thread by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:24pm On Aug 21, 2015
macof:

We still here

Nice to see you're back

How many wifes Orunmila get self? Everything is almost his wife
Re: Nigerian 'paganism' Thread by macof(m): 3:02pm On Aug 21, 2015
FOLYKAZE:

How many wifes Orunmila get self? Everything is almost his wife
Apparently so many

Osun, Odu, Iwa, these are the popular three

But like I said, Ifa speaks of history and Spirituality

1 Like

Re: Nigerian 'paganism' Thread by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:56pm On Aug 21, 2015
macof:

Apparently so many

Osun, Odu, Iwa, these are the popular three

But like I said, Ifa speaks of history and Spirituality

There is a bird called Odidere, she is Orunmila wife.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Muslim Father Murders 3 Daughters In Honour Killing - Says He Will Do It Again / Argument Against Supernatural God. / Pastor WF Kumuyi At National Stadium Abuja On 26 June(pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.