Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,998 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: (2878 Views)

LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Miscellaneous(m): 10:02am On Dec 23, 2013
Today, we witness another titanic battle between two pillars of our educational system. As with the purpose of the interschool debate, the debaters aim to enlighten us while trying to book a place in the next round. With a welcoming heart, the coordinators and judges invite all intellectuals from other sections of nairaland and of course, from this very education section.

ABUZARIA(supporting ) vs DELSU(opposing )

Topic: childhood experience is responsible for how people turn out?

Cordinator:
Miscellaneous

Judges:
Obinoscopy
Uj sizzle

Date: Fri.,27th of December.

Time: 5pm-8pm

Venue: nairaland education section

For more fixtures, click here
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Miscellaneous(m): 10:03am On Dec 23, 2013
PROCEDURES
4:55 – Debaters and judges take seats, register presence, while schools post their school Anthem

5:00 – Coordinators declare the debate open

5:00pm – 5:20 - Debaters post their arguments. Within 15 minutes. Better if less than 750 words to make it easier for judges to read all, but no harm making it longer, but it must not exceed 850.

5:20 – 6:20pm - A debater takes on his opponent, attempts to puncture his opponent’s points. This a debater does by quoting, highlighting the area to puncture and countering it i.e regular way to reply on Nairaland. While this is going on the judges can take their time to go through the write ups by the debaters. And also Debaters respond to punctured areas in his earlier arguments. He may buttress further. At this time frame.

6:20 – 6:40pm – Judges post questions to debaters either based on what the debater has posted or just reasonable question within the theme. Judges should be specific as to who they are posting the questions to. E.g “Mr ...., could you expatiate what you meant by so so so? or ...., pls give examples of your claim that xxxx”. This is not compulsory. A judge that doesn’t have question to post to the debaters need not do so.

6:40 – 7:00pm – Debaters respond to questions raised by judges

7:00 – 7:20pm – 2 Questions will be entertained from the audience i.e viewers. This will be based on ‘fastest hand’. The coordinators will announce ‘audience, you may now ask your questions’. After the 2 questions have been posted, any other viewer-post will be hidden.
NOTE: -The judges and audience can throw their questions without quotations but the contestants should answer
with quotations and separated for each questions.

7:20 – 7:30 – Debaters respond to audience questions and concludes their arguments. Debaters who were not asked any questions can still conclude his/her arguments.

7:30 – 7:40 – Judges compile the scores and mail to coordinators: humblejnr@gmail.com

7:40 – 8:00pm Coordinators announce results. Thread thrown open for regular Nairaland discussion.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Miscellaneous(m): 10:04am On Dec 23, 2013
JUDGING CRITERIA (5 marks each)
1. Presentation (opening, flow, closing,
response to judges questions,
audience questions and contestants
rebuttals)

2. Logic of arguments

3. Strenght of facts, examples, cases.

4. Persuasiveness

5. Demonstration of knowledge and
understanding of the subject
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Miscellaneous(m): 10:05am On Dec 23, 2013
RULES

1.) Two contestants representing their school in this Interschool Debate Elimination stage will have to confirm their availability for the debate a day before the debate proper. Failure to do so will result in the defaulter been disqualify and the opposing or supporting side that duely declare availabily will automatically be declare as the winner.

2.) The recommended font size is the default size (size 8.) and the colour is GREEN for the supporting side and BLUE for the opposing side. Please note that you are to use the designated colour all through the debate period.

3.) The essay should be min. 750 max. 1000 words .

4.) The use of SMS language and abbreviations are strictly forbidden.

5.) All materials used should be properly referenced at the end of the essay.

6.) All essays, responses and conclusion must be submitted within the stipulated time frame stated in the time schedule as posted by the coordinator
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Fynestboi: 10:52am On Dec 23, 2013
Please while the debate is going, only the debaters, judges, coordinators, Supermods(if need be) can post. It is only at the audience question window that a viewer can post on this thread. Pls let's comply, default attracts 3 hours ban(duration of the debate).

You can however comment simultaneously at thePlanning thread

Thank you.

Debate starts by 5:00pm on FRIDAY.

Come and witness the mother of all e-debates on the biggest section of the biggest online forum in Africa.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Fynestboi: 4:40pm On Dec 23, 2013
DELSU ANTHEM.

VERSE I
All hail my Gorgeous DELSU
cladded in learning apparrel so stellar and true
a citadel of sound knowledge
producing great minds from age to age
where intellectual soles have walked through
a centre of excellence with no match
where nation's leaders are hatched
VERSE II
through your four walls, our dreams come true
Radiant are your appearance, so adoring
O' you are the moon of the morning
in the realm of research you rule
your lips drip with knowledge, character and service
from your lips, greatness we lick and kiss
so elegant and noble in her looks.
~(originally composed and edited by Enemiku Paul(Epaul), sang by
Amanda Jemifor(Dr. Amanda), instruments by Maxwell Okuma(maxwellokuma)

2 Likes

Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Mhyke: 4:05pm On Dec 27, 2013
Good evening to the Judges,greetings to the co ordinators,a respectful
bow to my co-debaters(opponents) and a big HI to the audience.
The topic this time is 'Childhood experience is responsible for how
people turn out'
I will be defending this notion via illustrating some childhood
experiences but firstly I would like you to agree with me in defining
an individual's turn out as his status behaviourally, financially and
personality wise in the society when he is grown.
You will agree with me that the most suitable stage in an
individual's life to evaluate his/her turn out is during late youth
life/Adulthood.
People turn out reasonable(financially and behaviourally),
unreasonable etc.Some turn out to be nonentities while some commands
personality respect.
Firstly,looking into the life of some one who turned out
successful, we can link a number of causes to this~
Maybe he had a good education, ended up as a graduate and ends up in a
company or something.
Taking education to be the cause:-
Education is an experience that best starts and is mostly influencial
at CHILDHOOD.Itwas because the individual had a good primary
education during his Childhood that made him able to proceed into the
secondary school then the university before graduating.
Furthermore,this individual might have been financed by his
parents or guardian.looking at the case of someone with no family,who
lived his/her life on the streets,mostly likely to end up with bad
companies who introduced him to stuffs like robbery, addiction
etc.This would eventually determine the way the person would turnout
and his turnout would be credited to the fact that 'He had no parental
care during his CHILDHOOD'.
Moreover, taking someone whose parents couldn't afford to educate
him/her as an example.When the individual grows,the fact that he had
no access to an education during his CHILDHOOD would reflect in his
turnout because the number of jobs he would be qualified to engage in
this technologically advanced world would be limited and someone's
occupation is one of the major factors in defining a person's turnout.
Also,some people who ended up being bad would relate their
condition to the kind of environment they lived their Childhood
in.Some grew up in ghettos (apart from the normal rural areas ) and
due to the naive mind a child has,the environment would influence his
growing up due to the kind of friends he/she keeps.He would be
compelled to submit to their lifestyle (either good or bad but mostly
it's discouraging )by and by,he would grow up in this atmosphere and
whatsoever his turn out will be it would be determined by this
experience.
In addition, an uneducated,successful fellow would attribute his
success to many factors that are linked to Childhood experiences. He
probably had parents who couldn't educate him but are enlightened
enough to make in learn a trade,watch his lifestyle and who made sure
he made something worthwhile of his occupation. This can be accredited
to the fact that he had responsible parents/guardian during his
childhood days.
However,for the educated,their turnouts are also influenced during
Childhood in the sense that:
An individual who had the opportunity if being enrolled into school
may not have parents or anybody who cares enough to monitor his
excellence and performance in school .He might end up being a
dullard,drop out of school and for a female,might get pregnant along
the way.
OR
He or she might have been brought up by a single parent who didn't
have enough time to spare.These instances i cited are Childhood
strongholds for how he or she would turn out later on.They all hold
Childhood experiences responsible.
Conclusively,inviting the scriptures into this discussion, it will
say that 'teach a CHILD the way he should go and when he is old,he
wont depart from it'.This had said it all.Itimplies that what an
individual would be(his Turn Out)is best influenced and determined
from Childhood and its experiences.
The second meaning of Childhood in the Oxford dictionary defines it as
the foundation of a process.Manipulating this,Adulthood(turn out
stage) is d end result of a long process(es)/experience(s) lived
through during CHILDHOOD.
And there is no way a result won't be determined by it's procedure
I am sure that these points i laid out are valid enough to convict
'CHILDHOOD' of the charge of being responsible for how people turn
out.
Thanks.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Nobody: 4:58pm On Dec 27, 2013
MAXWELLOKUMA ready
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Miscellaneous(m): 5:05pm On Dec 27, 2013
I hereby declare the debate opened!

Please Abuzaria update your arguments
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Nobody: 5:05pm On Dec 27, 2013
Name:Epaul
school: Delsu
speaker: chief speaker
Stance: opposing
topic: childhood experience is responsible for how people turn out
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Nobody: 5:09pm On Dec 27, 2013
Waiting for abu second debater

1 Like

Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Nobody: 5:09pm On Dec 27, 2013
Name: maxwellokuma
School: Delsu
Speaker: second speaker
Stance: opposing
Topic: childhood experience is responsible for how people turn out
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Miscellaneous(m): 5:15pm On Dec 27, 2013
2nd speaker for Abuzaria we are waiting. . .

Delsu reps, pls be patient.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Mhyke: 5:17pm On Dec 27, 2013
Oh my goodness where in earth is chartey?
@fynestboi-didn't he send his essay to you??
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Fynestboi: 5:24pm On Dec 27, 2013
Mhyke: Oh my goodness where in earth is chartey?
@fynestboi-didn't he send his essay to you??
no he didnt.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Miscellaneous(m): 5:27pm On Dec 27, 2013
In the next few minutes, carthey will be disqualified owing to his absence.

Delsuites should refresh this page in the next few minutes
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Mhyke: 5:29pm On Dec 27, 2013
Fynestboi: no he didnt.
Humans!!! sha!!! so unreliable.i would have droped out earlier if i knew he won't show up
and besides,are the other contestants not posting?
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Miscellaneous(m): 5:33pm On Dec 27, 2013
carthey is hereby disqualified

Delsu reps can now post their arguments.

1st speaker of Delsu pls post your argument.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Nobody: 5:35pm On Dec 27, 2013
TOPIC: CHILDHOOD EXPERIENCE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR HOW PEOPLE TURN OUT. Opposing

According the online Merriam webster dictionary, childhood was define as "the state or period of being a child". Who is a child? Child according to oxford advance learners dictionary means "a young human who is not yet an adult". Experience on the other hand according to the online merriam webster dictionary means "something personally encountered, undergone or lived through". Childhood is a stage in human development which starts from birth into toddlerhood and some time afterwards into adolescence. It is the time period from the age of two to the age of fifteen or sixteen. This period which is festooned with remarkable physical, emotional, cognitive and social development affords a child quite a number of opportunities to explore the fascinating beauties that surround him/her and the stunning wonders of the world dangling before his/her naive nascent eyes. As the child sojourns on the young path tarred with uncontained curiosity, he/she stumbles upon certain experiences which include parents, good or bad encounters, combined with reaction to siblings, playmates and the context of his or her life. what then is childhood experience? In a nutshell, childhood experience are those things that a child personally encountered,undergone and lived through between the age of two and fifteen or sixteen that is believed to influence how the child behaves. As the plot thickens, the question of whether or not childhood experience is responsible for how people turn out has caused psychology evangelists to rent their shirts in fierce arguments. For me, I'm not a believer in the espoused sermon that childhood experience cast people upon a road with a particular set of beliefs and pattern that have huge impact on how they turn out. We must be on the qui vive so as not to allow such sermon that's off the rail, that's without rhyme and reason to drown our minds in the tossing belief that childhood experience is responsible for how people turn out. Before i take the plunge i would like to give honour to whom honour is due, my erudite panel of judges, punctilious and sedulous coordinators and informed audience. I am Enemiku Paul( Epaul) representing the Almighty Delta State University. Let me cease from keeping you on pins and needles.
To begin with, contrary to popular supposition that childhood experience is responsible for how people turn out, humans in truth are shaped more by the present and the recent past than the early past experience. And as such, It is therefore, totally off the rail to assert that childhood experience is responsible for how people turn out. Truth be told, childhood experience in itself does not determine later outcome, it is what has just happened and what is presently happening to a person that does. Take for example, the popular singer and actress Jenifer Lopez who was born into poverty and led a humble life through out her childhood, only for her to turn arrogant and rude upon stepping a foot into the hall of fame, a character psychologist agreed is unbecoming of somebody with a poor and humble past. Here, it is clear that her later outcome was as a result of her present fame as opposed to her childhood experience. If humans are not shaped more by the present and recent past, why would a down-to-earth person who had a humble background and was bred in a slum side, turn out rude and arrogant upon attaining a certain height in life? If the notion that childhood experience is responsible for how people turn out is anything to go by, one would expect a person with such humble past to remain humble after the attainment of such height. Other Cases abound of popular people who due to what happened to them after childhood influenced who they became. Take a hard look at the life of multiple award winning American singer late whitney Houston. Biography has it that late Houston was born into a family who were all notable figures in gospel rhythm, she was raised as a baptist and started performing as a solo artist at a tender age in the junior choir at her church. Though, late Houston was seen as a good girl with perfect image in the 1980's and early 1990, by late 1990 her behaviour suddenly changed. It was discovered she had started using drugs lacing marijuana with cocaine a fact she admitted to in an interview appearing in Ophrah Winfrey's season premier. It is worthy to state that at the material time, late Houston attributed her drug usage to her relationship with Bobby Brown. Here again, it was houston's later experience (her relationship with Bobby Brown) that made her turn out to be a drug addict and not her childhood experience. Needless to tell you, we can not reconcile the life she led before her death and that of the one she led in her early childhood. The biography of another popular American singer Marah carey who was once a 'church girl' further illustrate this point. In the same vein, you and I know of people in our immediate environments who were once, bad, proud and aggressive at their early age but became good and humble later on in life after a particular later experience. Undeniably, some of us, not quite long, have encountered certain changing experiences in our lives that drastically altered how we previously led our lives during our childhood like getting born again, back-sliding, escaping death et al. All these examples go to prove that a person present outcome is as a result of his/her present or later experience and not as a result of a distant childhood experience. To round off this point, consider for examples anxiety. Tracing your current fear of cat to an early childhood encounter with a scary cat tells us why you got scared of cats then. It does not tell us why your fear continues. What causes your fear now is in fact your avoidance. You are afraid of cats now because you avoid them. This is what is termed as the 'elegant principle' propounded by an expert in psychology Gordon Allport. Based on this, it is clear that it is the present or the recent past that dictates how people turn out and not childhood experience.

More so, if we say childhood experience is responsible for how people turn out, We are conversely saying that with a person's early childhood experience we can predict how a person would turn out which of course, is invariably fallible and precariously misleading, one that does not hold water which further makes nonsense of the claim that childhood experience is responsible for how people turn out. How? It is an undisputed fact that the role that childhood experience may play, if any, is heavily dependent on subsequent experiences and conditions. And as such how a child is treated or what a child experienced can not predict who and how the child would turn out. To conjecture otherwise is not only perfidious but dangerous. Therefore, if i want to know whether a person will be in jail sometimes in the next five years. It will do me no good to find out about his/her tantrum habits and incriminating records like stealing meat from a pot of soup and stealing his/her parents money at four years old even if those were quite extraordinary. I will do much better to check his/her secondary and university records for tales of gross misconduct like being a cult member, vandalising school facilities etc. I will do even much better to check out the current friends he/she hangs out with at the moment. Now, in a situation were these subsequent experiences and conditions after childhood are responsible for how a person turns out, should we still grope in the darkness of the belief that childhood is responsible for how people turn out? How can we explain how a child whose parents were canoe makers in the river-line area, who had no shoes in his early years becoming the president of a nation? Our incumbent president Goodluck Ebele Jonathan PHD is perfect case of the above. Having experienced such abject poverty at an early age, one would have predicted he would turn out poor base on the claim that childhood experience is responsible for how people turn out. But that was surprisingly not the case. My opponent might argue that his early poverty experience made him resolve not be poor. Ok, Even if we should accept that such early poverty experience made him resolved not to be poor, what do we have to say about a child who was born into wealth and nurtured in wealth but end up becoming poor later on in life? Should we still opined that such childhood experience of wealth made the person resolved to be poor in life? That would be most. ridiculous and absurd. Looking for explanation in distant childhood experience is of no utility because even if found, these explanation are neither necessary nor sufficient. It is therefore all well and good to say childhood experience does not predict how people would turn out and hence, it is wrong to say childhood experience is responsible for people turn out.

Furthermore, it is not a hidden fact that the company a person keeps, the friends he/she hangs out with at present exert a profound influence on how such a person would turn out and not childhood experience. The local adage "show me your friend, i will tell you who you are" bares this out. Arguably. No matter what one experienced, despite how one was treated in ones childhood, hanging out with certain friends could negate such childhood experience and render the effects impotent. It is an open and a short case, that members of the group we hang out with are more likely to influence our beliefs, our tastes, our perspectives of life and our behaviours ranging from how we dress, how we talk,how we think etc and therefore how we might turn out in the long run. Hence, the popular biblical quotation ''evil communication corrupts good manners" and vice versa. And many more expert opinions has substantiate this. According to Philip Dorman Stanhope "every man becomes to a certain degree what the people he generally converse with are". Its a known fact that a person who has had a comfortable childhood, may end up leading a chaotic life if he hangs out with the wrong friends. Little wonder, cases abound of students who were once assiduous and morally upright in their primary and secondary school days becoming indolent and immoral upon gaining admission into the university because of the clique of friends they hang out with in campus. Should I still tell us of tales of undergraduates becoming cult members, going into prostitution, becoming materialistic because of the kind of friends they hanged with in campus? This examples are not far-fetched, they happen every now and then in your school, in my school, in our schools."A king's son is no nobler than his company" - Gaelic Proverb. Take a field trip to our prisons and you are bound to see inmates whose incarceration were largely as a result of the wrong companies they kept after their childhood. Pretty poignant! From the above it is crystal clear that the role child experience may play could be nullified by the group of friends one is hanging with at the moment and as such the notion that childhood is responsible is totally and completely erroneous.

Finally, the reason some psychology evangelists have for long preached the misleading sermon that childhood experience is responsible for how people turn out is mostly because people who show up in their offices often claim to be preys of chaotic childhood. Now from this observation it is but a short tempting leap to the conclusion that a chaotic childhood causes psychological disturbance. What such conclusion unfortunately fails to consider is the fact that those who had chaotic childhood and ended up untroubled and did not have any psychology disturbance do not show up at psychologists offices and they happen to be the majority. Would it be certain if we say chaotic childhood experience is responsible for psychology disturbance based on the microscopic few who showed up in psychologists office? It is an emphatic No! Because the overwhelming majority who had chaotic childhood but ended up undisturbed proves otherwise. Majority they say carries the vote and as such the above conclusion is wrong. I bet you, if you consider the fact that the books one reads at present, the religious doctrines one is being taught right now could also nullify the effects of childhood experience coupled with the points i mentioned above, you will disbelieve the notion that childhood experience is responsible for how a person turns out.

In conclusion, based on the aforementioned points it is my firm belief that childhood experience in itself does not determine later outcome or how a person would turn out. It is later and current experiences, the friends one hangs out with and ones genetic make-up that does. Pointing accusing fingers at the face of our childhood experience can keep us stuck. Its high time we stopped blaming, start taking control of our present and move forward. If we carry our childhood with us, we will never become older. With this few points I hope I have been able to convince us that childhood experience is not responsible for how people turn out. Thank you.

REFERENCES:
1). http//i.word..com/dictionary/childhood
2). Oxford advanced learner's dictionary 7th edition, entry word; Child: at page 245
3). http//i.word.com/dictionary/experience
4). http//en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/childhood
5). http//www.celebritygossipalley.com/the-real-J-LO-rude-arrogamt-stuck-up-and-egotistical/
6). http//en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/whitney-houston
7). http/en.m.wikipedia.org/Goodluck-jonathan
cool. http//www.ncbl.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmc3313483/
9). http/lilith1980.hubpages.com/hub/social-influence-on-behaviour-acceptance
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Fynestboi: 5:47pm On Dec 27, 2013
Delsu second speaker post your argument...
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Miscellaneous(m): 5:48pm On Dec 27, 2013
2nd speaker of delsu please air your argument.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Nobody: 5:52pm On Dec 27, 2013
CHILDHOOD EXPERIENCE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR
HOW PEOPLE TURN OUT Childhood is the age span ranging from birth to
adolescence. According to
Piaget's theory of cognitive develpoment, childhood
consists of two
stages:preoperational stage abd concrete
operational stage. In development psycology, childhood is divided up into the
developmental stages of
toddlerhood(learning to walk), early childhood(play
age), middle
childhood(school age) and adolescence(puberty
through post-puberty). Childhood age range is from birth to age eighteen,
the period between
infancy and adulthood. Right from infancy,
development starts, which are
physically, socially, emotionally, language-related
and cognitively. According to the National Association for the
Education of Young Children,
early childhood spans the human life from birth to
age eight. At this
stage, children are learning through observing,
experimenting and communicating with others. Adults supervise and
support the development
process of the child's autonomy. Also, during this
stage, a strong
emotional bond is created between the child and the
care providers. Also, during this period, children begin kindergarten
which rolls on into their
middle childhood at around age seven or eight,
approximating primary school
age and ends around puberty, which typically marks
the beginning of adolescence. At this primary school stage(middle
childhood), children are
attending school, thus developing mentally and
socially. They are at a
stage where they make friends and gain new skills,
which will enable them to become more dependent and enhance their
individuality. With time,
puberty eventually begins which marks the
beginning of adolescence. The
onset of puberty brings various physical,
psycological and behavioural changes in the child and at the age of eighteen,
adulthood begins. Now,
what then is childhood experience? It could simply
mean those things that
happened in a child's life from birth to adulthood.
Childhood experience responsible for how people turn out? Well, I totally disagree with the
notion. It is misleading for anyone to say that
childhood experience is
responsible for how people turn out. In truth, there
are a number of
factors that are to be held responsible for how people turn out and not
childhood experience. This I hope to show us in a
few minutes but before I
proceed, I'd like to introduce myself and give
honour to whom it's due.
Good day to you, Mr Chairman, Impartial Panel of Judges, Amiable
Co-ordinators, Impeccable Time Keepers, Fellow
Debaters and Highly Esteemed
Audience. My name is MAXWELLOKUMA, representing
Delta State University,
Abraka. I'm totally not in support of the notion:childhood experience is
responsible for how people turn out. Why? This is
what I'm going to show us
shortly.
Firstly, the choices people make at present is
responsible for how they turn out and not childhood experience. Our lives
each day takes the
direction in which it was propelled by us yesterday.
It could be in the
negative direction or a positive one, both a result of
the decisions/choices we make. It's a man's choice to
make conscious effort
towards the betterment of his life and in the same
vein, it's also his
decision to make nothing out of life. Childhood
experience is not responsible for how people turn out, instead, the
propensity of one to
become successful or not depends solely on the
individual. Yes, one's
background might have been tough and rocky but
this doesn't really mean that the future or outcome will be tough and rocky
as well. Life is not a
bed of roses. It's full of ups and downs and in the
same vein, all fingers
are not equal. Challenges, difficulties may have
surrounded a person during his/her childhood but what really counts is the
person's choice and ability
to overcome such challenges and step up. Around
the globe, there are so
many people who didn't let their ugly childhood
experience act as an impediment to their present glorious state. We have
the likes of 50 cent,
the famous Rapper, Richard Branson, fourth Richest
in the UK, Oprah Winfrey
and others who had tough childhood experiences and
yet, they are somebody
today. A person's beginning doesn't foretell his end.
A person could begin
well but end poorly and vice versa . It's only a matter
of choices and decisions made, coupled with determination. From
the biography of Jim
Carrey, one of the best comedic actors of an era, one
will find out that he
had a very difficult childhood. Carrey had to drop
out of school at the age of fifteen to support his family. His father lost his job
as an accountant
and in a short period of time, his family went from
'lower middle class to
poor' that eventually, they had to start living in a van
(literally homeless). But being homeless and dirt poor could
not stop him from
achieving his dream of becoming a comedian. He
chose to fight on. He went
from having his dad drive him to comedy clubs in
Toronto to starring in mega blockbusters and today, as they say, the rest is
history. He is one of
the best comedic actors and also a multi-millionaire.
Now, talking about determination, lets talk about
Bethany Hamilton.
Hamilton started surfing when she was just a child. At age thirteen, an
almost-deadly shark attack resulted in her losing her
left arm. A month
later, she was back on her surfboard, and two years
later, she won first
place in the Explorer Women's Division of the NSSA National Championship.
From the citations above, one can pick out two key
determination. Despite what happened to both Jim
and Bethany, they were
able to rise above it. They made a choice to never give up and were
determined to make it in life instead of succumbing
to their experiences;
giving it the power to weigh them down.
This is just a short life story of two individuals out of
the many people that didn't let their tough childhood experiences get
in their way. So one
boldly saying that childhood experience is
responsible for how they turn
out is totally way out of line. Rather, the choices we
make, coupled with determination shapens who or what we eventually
turn out to be. it is biologically sound that genetic is
more often than
not responsible for how people turn out and not
early childhood
experience.
Another major factor responsible is the genetic information passed to The child. Genetic is the process of trait inheritance
from parents to offspring including behaviour which was
discovered by a German
scientist Gregor mendel and improved upon by
william Bateson. It has
been biologically established that every human
inherits genes from both of their parent and these genes which are
pieces of genetic
information in turn express specific traits which
influences how a
person may turn out. Lately it was discovered that
there are a stupendous amount of 12,800 genes in specific
locations on each of the
46 chromosomes a person inherits from his/her
parents. This goes to
show that a person may behave like his parents not
because he/she is emulating them but because they share a lot of the
same genes. It is
therefore mendacious for us to claim that the reason
a man beats his
wife is because at an early age he had an experience
of his dad beating his mum. It is also wrong to say the reason
why a man turns
out to beat his children is because he was beaten by
his father when
he was a child. The truth is that such a man and his
father share a lot of genes. So why shouldn't the same mechanism
cause them to behave
similarly? If there is something wrong with the way
we handle
relationships, we tend to say "it must be our parents
fault". when we start complaining we have to consider that whatever
our parents may
have done did not start with them. The truth remains
that such genetic
influence exist across generation, across ancestors
back in time, perhaps to the beginning. Anger andmost emotional instability ditto.
You and I are evidence of this - sometimes we find
ourselves behaving
like our parents. That is not because we are
emulating them but
because we have the same genes working within us. And as such, it is
therefore wrong to attribute how people turn out
emotionally to their
early childhood experience as they are only
displaying their genetic
make-up.

With this few points of mine, I hope I have been
able to convince you
all that childhood experience is not responsible for
how people turn out.
Thank You.

REFERENCES *CHILDHOOD-wikipedia en.wikipedia.org/wiki/childhood *EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION-wikipedia en.wikipedia.org/wiki/early/childhood/education *10 WILDLY SUCCESFUL PEOPLE WHO OVERCAME HUGE
OBSTACLES TO GET TO WHERE
THEY ARE TODAY www.huffingtonpost.com/us/entry/3964459 *WRONG SIDE OF THE TRACKS:10 CELEBRITIES THAT
OVERCAME THEIR TOUGH
CHILDHOOD EXPERIENCES www.customizedgirl.com/blog/?p=3781972
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetics
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Miscellaneous(m): 6:05pm On Dec 27, 2013
Debaters and judges should go through the posted arguments within the next 5mins
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Miscellaneous(m): 6:12pm On Dec 27, 2013
Debaters can now puncture arguments and when you puncture, puncture with no mercy.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Nobody: 6:20pm On Dec 27, 2013
myke: You will agree with me that the most suitable stage in an
individual's life to evaluate his/her turn out is during late youth
life/Adulthood.
don't this above explanation you provided just proved that experience later on in adulthood is responsible for how people turn out as oppose to the notion that childhood experience does? Or do you want to tell us that adulthood and childhood now have the same meaning? An answer to this would be most appreciated because plethora of dictionaries say otherwise
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Miscellaneous(m): 6:26pm On Dec 27, 2013
^Abuzaria we demand an answer.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Mhyke: 6:28pm On Dec 27, 2013
@ epaul
for the case of jennifer,citing humans as examples is totally out if it because we didnt live their childhood with them.
and besides,she might have felt intimidated in the society due to her background so in getting famous,she didnt bother about her behaviour.also using her as an example is invalid because there are celebrities who had a poor background and didnt behave like she did
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Mhyke: 6:31pm On Dec 27, 2013
@ epaul
for the case of jennifer,citing humans as examples is totally out if it because we didnt live their childhood with them.
and besides,she might have felt intimidated in the society due to her background so in getting famous,she didnt bother about her behaviour.also using her as an example is invalid because there are celebrities who had a poor background and didnt behave like she did
As for whitney,if her religious background had a real religious influence on her during her childhood, she would have refrained from taking drugs meaning that the fact that she sings at church doesn't mean she lived a religious life.
And u failed to emphasize on how her childhoo background might have helped in realizing her dream.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Miscellaneous(m): 6:34pm On Dec 27, 2013
^ Delsu reps your attention is needed.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Mhyke: 6:34pm On Dec 27, 2013
Epaul: [/color]don't this above explanation you provided just proved that experience later on in adulthood is responsible for how people turn out as oppose to the notion that childhood experience does? Or do you want to tell us that adulthood and childhood now have the same meaning? An answer to this would be most appreciated because plethoras of dictionaries say otherwise
you miss interpreted me.
i meant that it's nt reasonable to qualify a person's turn out until he's grown
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE ::::Winner DELSU:: by Nobody: 6:37pm On Dec 27, 2013
Myke: Also,some people who ended up being bad would relate their
condition to the kind of environment they lived their Childhood
in.Some grew up in ghettos (apart from the normal rural areas ) and
due to the naive mind a child has,the environment would influence his
growing up due to the kind of friends he/she keeps.He would be
compelled to submit to their lifestyle (either good or bad but mostly
it's discouraging )by and by,he would grow up in this atmosphere and
whatsoever his turn out will be it would be determined by this
experience.
cases abound of people who lived in 'bad environments' in their childhood but became successful later on in life. Popular among such persons is our president who though lived in a slum side peopled by hooligans, became successful in life. You and i know there are also many musicians in our music industry who came out from the ghetto. Taken this into account, do you still think your above point is correct? If yes, prove otherwise.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Are The Things I Need As A Fresher In The University / What Job Would You Suggest A Student On Holiday Does?? / Ibrahim Shamwifu Made History In Utme 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.