Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,412 members, 7,822,922 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:29 PM

Why Do Igbos Sale Their Daughters - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbos Sale Their Daughters (1128 Views)

Mothers Iron Their Daughters Breasts To Protect Them From Rape(explicit Content / Mothers Iron Their Daughters Breasts To Protect Them From Rape (adult Photos) / Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Igbos Sale Their Daughters by jlad2003(m): 9:14pm On Dec 27, 2013
this has been common in among igbos, why would someone demand so much just marry a girl.

UMU EZE ALA FAMILY UNION.
LAGOS BRANCH.
MARRIAGE LIST

Umuezeala family, Marriage List according to Augustina Own Family:

1. Settlement of the family of Augustine Udeh Men, cash = N50,000 2 bottles of hot, 4 cartons of beer, 2 create of malt, 2 creates of soft drinks, 6 pieces of yam big size, 2 tails of stockfish, 1 female goat, 7 pieces of Igbo kolanut & alligator pepper.

FATHER RIGHT CASH OF N50,000
2. Chifetancy clothe, Shoe, Hat, Watch, Walking Stick, 2 bottles of hot, Spectacle.

MOTHER’S WISH CASH N40, 000
2 Wrapers, 2 Blouse, a pair of shoe, 1 hand bag, 1 umbrella, wrist watch, 2 head tie, a bottle of wine & perfume.

FEMALE
2 Bags of Rice, 2 Bags of Salt, 2 cartons of tomatoes, groundnut oil 1 tin 25 liters kerosine 1 tin 25 liters, palm oil 25 liters, Lux soap 2 dozens, matches 2 roads, maggi 4 packet, yam 12 tubas, 2 tails of stock fish, pomade 12 tins skin beauty powder money role 4 tins, one basket of onion, 2 creates of malt, 2 creates of soft drinks, bottle of wine cash = N 30, 000
Re: Why Do Igbos Sale Their Daughters by kekakuz(m): 9:16pm On Dec 27, 2013
sale sale sale
Re: Why Do Igbos Sale Their Daughters by Nobody: 9:27pm On Dec 27, 2013
Go and buy brighter grammar. angry
Re: Why Do Igbos Sale Their Daughters by borntobegr8t(m): 9:34pm On Dec 27, 2013
See wat they ask me to bring before I go fit engage my uju...jus engagement o shocked

Re: Why Do Igbos Sale Their Daughters by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:46pm On Dec 27, 2013
Its not much for a human being. Its just right.

The Igbo ancestors law make sense.

Or else do you want a jobless fellow to marry your daughter and then be a burden on the family?

If a man cant afford the demands, then how we will he take good care of the wife and children? He might just use and throw her.'

Anyways sha. . ... Kudos to the Igbo Laws! cool

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Sale Their Daughters by cbrass(m): 10:11pm On Dec 27, 2013
Dem force you??
Re: Why Do Igbos Sale Their Daughters by druid06(m): 11:11pm On Dec 27, 2013
I'm not sure where you guys culled those traditional marriage rites list from buts it's totally different from where I'm from. I'm from Aguleri, a local town/community in Anambra state and our traditional marriage list is totally different.

Getting traditionally married to a girl/lady/woman from my town/community is downright on the economical state. You only need a tuber of yam, kola nuts, one schnapps (hot drink) and ego orji (Usually #5).

Though I can't deny the absolute truth that this is not usually so with people from other states and communities so people, choose carefully your bride's provenance.
Re: Why Do Igbos Sale Their Daughters by cbrass(m): 11:26pm On Dec 27, 2013
druid06: I'm not sure where you guys culled those traditional marriage rites list from buts it's totally different from where I'm from. I'm from Aguleri, a local town/community in Anambra state and our traditional marriage list is totally different.

Getting traditionally married to a girl/lady/woman from my town/community is downright on the economical state. You only need a tuber of yam, kola nuts, one schnapps (hot drink) and ego orji (Usually #5).

Though I can't deny the absolute truth that this is not usually so with people from other states and communities so people, choose where carefully where your bride is from.

You mean with N5 I can get a good bride from your place Woow please I need like a dozen bride
Thanks in advance
Re: Why Do Igbos Sale Their Daughters by cornel1900: 5:45pm On Dec 28, 2013
after going tru that, u'l definitely know that marriage is not for boys.

or y do u think d oyinbo marriages dont last?
Re: Why Do Igbos Sale Their Daughters by Nobody: 6:01am On Jan 04, 2014
cornel1900: after going tru that, u'l definitely know that marriage is not for boys.

or y do u think d oyinbo marriages dont last?

I utterly disagree.

Oyinbo marriage lasting has nothing to do with whether or not the daughter was sold to her husband.
It has only to do with the culture of individualism in the west and a certain excess of "freedoms".

Bring that same wife-sale marriage to the west and the outlined factors will take it's toll on that marriage just as hard as any other marriage residing in it.

The excuses given by those that support this manner of exploitation are logically mute and are simply a reflection of the archetypical Nigerian mindset that everything can be bought with money and should have a price-tag on it.
Re: Why Do Igbos Sale Their Daughters by Nobody: 6:07am On Jan 04, 2014
PAGAN 9JA:
Its not much for a human being. Its just right.

The Igbo ancestors law make sense.

Or else do you want a jobless fellow to marry your daughter and then be a burden on the family?

If a man cant afford the demands, then how we will he take good care of the wife and children? He might just use and throw her.'

Anyways sha. . ... Kudos to the Igbo Laws! cool

Ummm by the time he is done affording said demands, he CERTAINLY won't be able to take good care of the wife and children.

I'm beginning to think Ibo people just get off on seeing couples start off their lives with nothing.
That's just one list, they haven't even entered the OTHER lists and then the WEDDINGS to follow, all of which will be paid for by the man....because ibo folks just don't give a fawk as opposed to the family of say a Yoruba bride who actually play a major factor in the wedding.

How am I to now respect a woman who I paid for like as if I bought a slave? The logic is counter-progressive.

(1) (Reply)

Awon To Ji Olu Falae Gbe N Beere Ogorun Milionu Naira / Watch Unilag Students Cultural Heritage Tour Pics. / Just About Time; Our End Of Year Apology

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.