Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. (42409 Views)

Duty Payment: Outrage, As Motorists Decry Harassment By Customs Officials / How Do I Know If A Car Custom Duty Has Been Paid ? / A Total Amount Of M134,000,000 Was Paid For Custom Duty Alone For Dos Cars Below (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 10:10am On Sep 30, 2014
lomomike:

Chief na so customs new tariff carry the price of clearing that car up? Thank GOD I got my car thru you early this year.

Mr Mike,the price is for importers shipping through cotonou,if you've bought RX330 from cotonou,the clearing cost is =N=320,000naira.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by Emperoh(m): 10:43am On Sep 30, 2014
Please how much will clear a 2010 Honda Pilot on PTML?
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by Nobody: 10:53am On Sep 30, 2014
saintjoel:

Mr Mike,the price is for importers shipping through cotonou,if you've bought RX330 from cotonou,the clearing cost is =N=320,000naira.

That's not bad. I recall how I went to warf early this year to inspect a non accidented lexus RX330 2004 without Navigation, rear DVD system and HID lights I was told the price was 4million Naira (I suspected the car had no genuine clearance).

I came to you and the deal was way too low bro. I got a full option model with DVD system, navigation System, HID lamps and AWD yet non accident. I still owe you a lot of thanks.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 12:48pm On Sep 30, 2014
Emperoh: Please how much will clear a 2010 Honda Pilot on PTML?

Which PTML and which shipping did you use?
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by Danabu(m): 8:44pm On Sep 30, 2014
Pls how much do i need to clear the ffing
1997 golf 3
1998 mazda 626 gf
1998 subaru lagacy and
1996 Toyota camry
i
pls note That i am seriously thinking of going into car sales biz .
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by emdafe: 9:34pm On Sep 30, 2014
Please what are the custom papers am supposed to be given when buying a toks car cleared from tin can island
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 1:39am On Oct 01, 2014
Danabu: Pls how much do i need to clear the ffing
1997 golf 3
1998 mazda 626 gf
1998 subaru lagacy and
1996 Toyota camry
i
pls note That i am seriously thinking of going into car sales biz .

300,000 naira for each car.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by Danabu(m): 6:03am On Oct 01, 2014
saintjoel:

300,000 naira for each car.

wow! Thats serious!! With such duty paid Can i sell considering the purchase privé n cotonou clearing? I want all m'y cars properly cleared but This price Is not encouraging. Will still contact u when its Time. Thanks.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by ubiquitousade(m): 9:05am On Oct 01, 2014
saintjoel:

Shipping through Lagos-

05 HIGHLANDER - =N=550,000
07 matrix - =N=620,000
04 MDX - =N= 450,000
05 rx330 - =N= 550,000

Shipping through cotonou -

05 highlander - =N= 485,000
07 matrix - =N= 450,000
04 MDX - =N= 614,000
05 RX330 - =N= 470,000.

Thank you sir
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 8:06am On Oct 03, 2014
Do you that you can pay custom duty for your vehicles shipped through cotonou even before they're shipping/while they're in transit,do you know that demurage in Cotonou is six months,do you know that shipping some vehicles through cotonou is noW cheaper than shipping through lagos.

It's actually true that custom duty can be paid for your vehicles shipped through cotonou even before they're in transit and it will still be valid by the time your vehicles get into the country. It saves time and also prevents payment of unnecessary dues,all you need to do is show up at the border with your documents and the vehicle is passed through customs immediately.

It's also true that demurage in Cotonou is 6 months and they're even proposing to increase to a year which means that if you've six cars been shipped through cotonou,you can clear 3 through customs then come back for the other three and the best thing that makes Cotonou port different is that vehicles aren't vandalised while they're in transit,if anything happens to it in their port,it might be because the agent removed them or the importer or the agent got greedy and they wanted to save costs but if you pay all your dues,you meet your vehicle in the same pristine condition you left them.

SHIPPING THROUGH COTONOU CAN SAVE AT LEAST 30,000NAIRA AND AS MUCH AS 500,000NAIRA FOR SOME VEHICLES. ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS GET THE RATES FOR SHIPPING THROUGH LAGOS PORTS AND THE RATES FOR SHIPPING THROUGH COTONOU,THEN CHECK THE DIFFERENCE,YOU CAN SHIP THROUGH COTONOU IF IT PAYS.

The reason is that what you pay to clear a car manufactured in 1999 is the same you pay for a car manufactured in 2014 inside Cotonou and all you've to contend with is payment of duty at the Nigerian border which is also cheaper than ports bacause at the border,you don't pay for some charges like shipping and terminal.

This and many other reasons why importers are now making Cotonou a destination to be.

For more information,kindly contact gbenga through the following links-

BBM - 231EFC78

Mobile - 08062948193 and 08178489280

Mail - jelad.ventures@yahoo.co.uk

Whatsapp - 08062948193

Viber - 08062948193

Wechat I.D - akogun79
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by Nobody: 1:35pm On Oct 13, 2014
Pls how does a genuine custom doc from lagos port look like?

what should one lookout for?

Can u upload a sample pic?
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 2:52pm On Oct 13, 2014
harveyspecter:
Pls how does a genuine custom doc from lagos port look like?

what should one lookout for?

Can u upload a sample pic?

I can't post pictures of what I'll call a "security paper or document" online.If you need to verify your duty paper,ask your agent the Customs verification number (C-number) and go to any customs command with it for verification.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 12:51pm On Oct 25, 2014
CUSTOM DUTY

This has always been a major bone of contention between agents,importers and Nigerian customs service.

The Nigerian constitution stipulates that duty must be paid for every goods and vehicles imported into the country,before May,2014 it was twenty percent for some vehicles and thirty-five percent for jeeps and heavy duty vehicles but after May,it was pegged to thirty-five percent flat rate for all vehicles and by it'll be increased to seventy percent by January.

We've always heard importers tell us that custom duties charged by some agents are always high and they give the jobs to agents that charge lesser fees but what happens to the bank payment. Let's use two vehicles as an example,toyota 4runner and highlander and we will be use the old tariff for land borders before the increment.

Let's assume an importer wants to bring a 2003 toyota 4runner into the country,all the agent needs to do is make his normal deduction of four years,which means 2003 4runner may pay the value of a 1999 4runner,which means 278,000naira bank payment and 350,000naira total cost (processing + 278,000 *bank payment*).

Now the problem starts when an agent overshoots the target year and deducts like 6years and pays less than 250,000-278,000 naira as bank charges (please note that this value may vary according to what the valuation office gives him/her),this automatically turns to we call a shortpayment and it's risky.

Also let's check highlander,using 2003 toyota highlander as an example. In the pix shown below,we can see that after the normal deduction,it's going to be 150,000-157,000 naira bank payment with 220,000 - 250,000naira overall expense.

Now,importers can see that custom officers (who will give the jobs to agents after removing their gains) or agents who charge less are putting your vehicles at risk at your expense,it's just a case of penny wise,pound foolish. The F.O.U patrols and C.G squads are now highly trained to spot this differences,although your agent or an average car dealer who's aiming to make more gain might grease the ways through these points,it'll not be an easy for the end user. We've heard people going all the way to non-existent border areas like ilorin to come up with duties that are so ridiculous and we'll keep wondering who gave them the authorization cos those commands are only out to raise revenue for the government and leave you at the mercy of F.O.Us and C.G squads.

This post is entirely the OP's opinion,thanks.

1 Like

Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by coolsegun2002: 5:05am On Oct 26, 2014
pls how much will it cost me to clear 1999 & 2000 model of lexus rx300 via cotonou or lagos
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by MOBBDEEP: 1:31pm On Nov 19, 2014
How least can you clear a 2004 BMW 320i ?
Can you do a genuine complete clearing for 300K?
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by oluwafemi89(m): 7:52pm On Nov 19, 2014
Please How much will i Clear from coutonu
1. Honda Addidas 2001
2. Toyota camry 99

thanks, hope to patronize next year
saintjoel:

Shipping through Lagos-

07 matrix - =N=620,000
04 MDX - =N= 450,000
05 rx330 - =N= 550,000

07 matrix - =N= 450,000
04 MDX - =N= 614,000
05 RX330 - =N= 470,000.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 7:41am On Nov 20, 2014
oluwafemi89:
Please How much will i Clear from coutonu
1. Honda Addidas 2001
2. Toyota camry 99

thanks, hope to patronize next year

Custom duty is N130,000.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by bellong: 10:32am On Nov 21, 2014
Contrary to what you wrote above, Benin republic shares border with Nigeria also in Kwara state. This means, there is a custom command at that border (Chikanda) that legally collects import duty for vehicles.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 1:56pm On Nov 21, 2014
bellong:
Contrary to what you wrote above, Benin republic shares border with Nigeria also in Kwara state. This means, there is a custom command at that border (Chikanda) that legally collects import duty for vehicles.

Sir,I've not told that there's no border apart from seme and idiroko borders,we've so many borders with Benin republic and they also have customs' commands,also every agent know how they can get their vehicles out of these borders but the issue here is SHORTPAYMENT.

From experience,the local command will never tell you that you've shortpaid the government cos they're also looking for revenue and promotions,we've heard of people clearing venza with 250,000naira in ilorin but how many of these vehicles can stand the test of F.O.U patrols on the way to Lagos or north,how many can even go through okene without bribes and how will the end-user cope when it finally gets to his/her house,will they continue paying these bribes when they're stopped on the road.

The FG states this is how much you should pay and a custom officer who's not trained to run duties tells you otherwise,many of these are false declarations but they will not tell you. I've a living witness whose RX350 was impounded in seme two weeks ago when his agent paid 315,000 naira as bank payment against 350,000naira,now as yourself,wasn't it the same customs that collected the 315,000 that seized it along the express,he paid almost 500,000 naira to get his jeep back on monday. I'm not against anyone paying anything to customs cos we all have ways of running our business but at the end,which one will pay you as a business man,a client that can face F.O.U patrols confidently without loosing his/her vehicle or a client whose heart keeps skipping anytime they come across the checkpoints
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by bellong: 3:17pm On Nov 21, 2014
An individual have the right to challenge custom in court for a vehicle impounded after paying the evaluation fee done by her staff legally.

How do you know its under evaluation when you have no such arrangement with the evaluation officer. Citizens cannot be made to pay for the incompetence of any government agencies' staff.

My point is, the evaluation done at any command without inducement is legal. Custom herself doesn't have a uniform duty. How can we explain the disparity of evaluation done by Tin can island command with that of Apapa command, Seme etc.

If we stand up to exercise our right, nobody can intimidate us.

Not all FOU know what they are doing. I have met FOUs on the way who think every dealer is a smuggler on my way to deliver a client's vehicle. I had to school them the meaning of smuggling.

For the record, I am not in support of short changing the government.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 3:09pm On Nov 22, 2014
bellong:
An individual have the right to challenge custom in court for a vehicle impounded after paying the evaluation fee done by her staff legally.

How do you know its under evaluation when you have no such arrangement with the evaluation officer. Citizens cannot be made to pay for the incompetence of any government agencies' staff.

My point is, the evaluation done at any command without inducement is legal. Custom herself doesn't have a uniform duty. How can we explain the disparity of evaluation done by Tin can island command with that of Apapa command, Seme etc.

Not all FOU know what they are doing. I have met FOUs on the way who think every dealer is a smuggler on my way to deliver a client's vehicle. I had to school them the meaning of smuggling.

Sir,forget about suing the custom officers,they're always right at least ninety times out of hundred and even in the process of seizure,you as the car owner will be asked to come with a lawyer to face their legal unit cos it's from there that a letter will be raised and sent to the controller in charge of the command before your DN is raised but at the end,customs will still catch you and your lawyers in a tight spot.

Imagine a scenario where an agent has given a customer 350,000 naira as custom duty and the importer tells him it's too expensive,the agent knows that the importer is ready to give the job to the next available agent that quotes a lower price and since he also has mouths to feed at home,he agrees with the importer and collects 250,000naira. One,the bank charges have been lowered because of the money involved and the lower the bank changes,the higher the risk of seizure,how can such importer or agent move freely with the vehicle without the risk of seizure and when it's seized,which lawyer can support the idea of short changing government,that's the reason why NCS is now advocating for seven year imprisonment for anyone caught in the act. I've seen it happen so many times especially amongst clients trying to get vehicles through cotonou and at the end,the start dodging customs up and down inside Nigeria.

The disparity in custom duties between tincan and seme is just because one is a port and the other is a land border which means that at land borders,you don't need to pay charges like terminal,shipping etc. Also for those shipping through cotonou,the demurage is a year and customs charges right in cotonou is 500,000 cefa for every vehicle regardless of manufacture year,the reason why some importers are now shipping through cotonou.

Short changing government isn't good and I'm glad we're on the same page. I've once done it as an agent and it landed me in a debt I've not been able to pay up till today,so my candid advice to anyone reading this post is this,stop short paying and you'll be happy.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 3:15pm On Nov 22, 2014
bellong:

Sir,forget about suing the custom officers,they're always right at least ninety times out of hundred and even in the process of seizure,you as the car owner will be asked to come with a lawyer to face their legal unit cos it's from there that a letter will be raised and sent to the controller in charge of the command before your DN is raised but at the end,customs will still catch you and your lawyers in a tight spot.

Imagine a scenario where an agent has given a customer 350,000 naira as custom duty and the importer tells him it's too expensive,the agent knows that the importer is ready to give the job to the next available agent that quotes a lower price and since he also has mouths to feed at home,he agrees with the importer and collects 250,000naira. One,the bank charges have been lowered because of the money involved and the lower the bank changes,the higher the risk of seizure,how can such importer or agent move freely with the vehicle without the risk of seizure and when it's seized,which lawyer can support the idea of short changing government,that's the reason why NCS is now advocating for seven year imprisonment for anyone caught in the act. I've seen it happen so many times especially amongst clients trying to get vehicles through cotonou and at the end,the start dodging customs up and down inside Nigeria.

The disparity in custom duties between tincan and seme is just because one is a port and the other is a land border which means that at land borders,you don't need to pay charges like terminal,shipping etc. Also for those shipping through cotonou,the demurage is a year and customs charges right in cotonou is 500,000 cefa for every vehicle regardless of manufacture year,the reason why some importers are now shipping through cotonou.

Short changing government isn't good and I'm glad we're on the same page. I've once done it as an agent and it landed me in a debt I've not been able to pay up till today and I also lost one of my best clients,so my candid advice to anyone reading this post is this,stop short paying and you'll be happy.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by TCD: 8:20pm On Nov 22, 2014
saintjoel:

Short changing government isn't good and I'm glad we're on the same page. I've once done it as an agent and it landed me in a debt I've not been able to pay up till today and I also lost one of my best clients,so my candid advice to anyone reading this post is this,stop short paying and you'll be happy.

My brothee just got got a 2002 toyota camry from Cotonu through seme border, bank payment teller for duty is for N90, 676. that's what is on the bank teller. Please hope his agent did not short pay? thanks.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 8:56pm On Nov 22, 2014
TCD:

My brothee just got got a 2002 toyota camry from Cotonu through seme border, bank payment teller for duty is for N90, 676. that's what is on the bank teller. Please hope his agent did not short pay? thanks.

It's normal.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 8:32am On Dec 01, 2014
To all our customers, intending customers, friends and family...Jelad ventures wishes you a glorious december and we say thanks for been there..... May d blessings of God almighty dat come with December be ur Portion, Ur rain of abundance will fall, Ur long awaited miracle will arrive, Good things will locate u and Ur story will change for the best....Happy new month and merry xmas in advance folks.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by chucky234(m): 5:27pm On Dec 01, 2014
saintjoel:
To all our customers, intending customers, friends and family...Jelad ventures wishes you a glorious december and we say thanks for been there..... May d blessings of God almighty dat come with December be ur Portion, Ur rain of abundance will fall, Ur long awaited miracle will arrive, Good things will locate u and Ur story will change for the best....Happy new month and merry xmas in advance folks.
thanks bro
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by chucky234(m): 5:31pm On Dec 01, 2014
How much will cost to get a genuine custom papers for Ghana/Togo registered 2002 Audi A6, Honda Accord and Acura 3.5RL.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by Audinowing(m): 3:19pm On Dec 02, 2014
Pls what is the risk involved in driving a car without custom papers within Nigeria? pls I need urgent response . thank you.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 3:36pm On Dec 02, 2014
Audinowing:
Pls what is the risk involved in driving a car without custom papers within Nigeria? pls I need urgent response . thank you.

Sir,you've already pointed out the obvious,if a car doesn't have duty,it means it has been smuggled across the border.Let me ask you a question,can you drive a smuggled vehicle on Nigeria roads without customs impounding it,if it's stolen and you need a police re,do you've evidence of the vehicle's entry into Nigeria,so the answer lies in your question.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by Benoxvals(m): 5:37pm On Dec 06, 2014
Pls quote the clearing cost for 2009 venza...
US to Lag.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by lukman22: 2:18pm On Dec 07, 2014
Please saintjoel,is this price you qoute the new tariff yet to be implemented or still the old one? Thanks
saintjoel:

Shipping through Lagos-

07 matrix - =N=620,000
04 MDX - =N= 450,000
05 rx330 - =N= 550,000

07 matrix - =N= 450,000
04 MDX - =N= 614,000
05 RX330 - =N= 470,000.
Re: Custom Duty Payment Made Easier. by saintjoel(m): 3:06pm On Dec 07, 2014
lukman22:
Please saintjoel,is this price you qoute the new tariff yet to be implemented or still the old one? Thanks

It's with the 35% increament.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Slowest Cars In The World / Serial Car Scratcher Caught On Camera (photos, Video) / Mark Zuckerberg Makes Money That Will Buy $2.5m Pagani In Just 1¹/2 Mins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.