Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,554 members, 7,812,776 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:07 PM

Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? (895 Views)

6,000 Battle For 1,000 Admission Spaces In Federal Varsity Oye-Ekiti / Who Should We Blame Over The Strike...ASUU Or Fg / Row Over Ekiti Federal Varsity Site Settled (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? by PreciousBro: 3:17pm On Jan 03, 2014
Maybe Prejudice is the wrong choice of word to use but either ways,I believe you all get my point. Its not surprising that society or some people see that students from certain tier of Learning institution/college as elites whilst some as second fiddle Regardless of the brilliance of an Individual from said "Second Fiddle" schools. I suppose we all know the norms and order of superiority and quality bodies of education in this country as believed by many, are in no particular order,

-Federal University..

-Federal Uni Of Technology..

-State University..

-Private University.. Etc Etc

Please let's not act a blind eye to this disturbing and continual fact that perhaps is,to certain individuals,a psychological stigma,while others just wholeheartedly exude prejudge traits and bias towards state or private schools graduates.

A sister to a friend of mine I know well as a level-headed and exceptionally brilliant girl went to a state university,graduated since 2011 with a second class honors ,upper credit for that matter in Economics and she complained of not getting work hitherto due to this fact. My question now is, who should we blame for this Psychological sore that is hindering the chances of state,private schools graduates from getting the same opportunity as federal college graduates for interview or employment?

Are employers being fair with this ridiculous mental stigma ? I know the Quality of learning differs,but so as the individuals.

PS: Please I solicit everyone apply caution and courtesy in discussing this Topic without insult hurling at each other regardless of opinion disagreement. smiley
Re: Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? by zutu(m): 3:33pm On Jan 03, 2014
Ok space reserve am coming
Re: Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? by PreciousBro: 3:37pm On Jan 03, 2014
zutu: Ok space reserve am coming

Your input is important, please say something to help change the mind-set of people and our society.

1 Like

Re: Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jan 03, 2014
Interesting

Re: Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? by whiteking169: 4:04pm On Jan 03, 2014
op,i dont think that federal university are given preference than state or private,no no no,the only things you enjoy in federal university is the opportunity to meet some children of who is who,who choosed not to study abroad and decide to study in nigeria federal university,ops as a matter of fact all nigeria university are good,i mean they are the same,the only thing is the managements of this school,but academic staff are the same,exspecialy in engineering and technology studies in nigeria,ops i think what we should pray for is to stop the sydrome of who knows who and make employement open to all,and it should be on merit,if this is not done abeg still the same oyo we go they oooooo
Re: Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? by PreciousBro: 4:11pm On Jan 03, 2014
whiteking169: op,i dont think that federal university are given preference than state or private,no no no,the only things you enjoy in federal university is the opportunity to meet some children of who is who,who choosed not to study abroad and decide to study in nigeria federal university,ops as a matter of fact all nigeria university are good,i mean they are the same,the only thing is the managements of this school,but academic staff are the same,exspecialy in engineering and technology studies in nigeria,ops i think what we should pray for is to stop the sydrome of who knows who and make employement open to all,and it should be on merit,if this is not done abeg still the same oyo we go they oooooo

You have a point but still on still, Federal universities are given more preference in our society, failure to see and admit it proves the undermining change.

I think its mostly an uneducated mentality of people,often times, people that are posed as educated,as in, graduates. Etc

Employers mostly, think graduates from federal schools stand a chance more at delivering results/practicals due to availability of equipments by federal government.
Re: Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? by promisechild(m): 4:14pm On Jan 03, 2014
Another uninformed post again

Well let me educate

Companies don't recruit based on the schools you went to, that is why we have job aptitude test those who passed the apptitude test would be qualified for the interview then if u perform well regardless the university you attended you would be recruited.

So don't believe those fairy tales
Re: Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? by Archmage(m): 4:22pm On Jan 03, 2014
Its simply social difèrentiation, the same thing that makes people believe they cant be successful until they travel abroad, that women have lesser abilities than men and many other stereotypical beliefs. It a sad reality, and it has and will deny many people great chances to prove themselves. Moreover, as individuals, we more or less pass judgements on individuals before we meet them based on percieved characteristics. Employer also do the same!
Re: Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? by PreciousBro: 4:32pm On Jan 03, 2014
promisechild: Another uninformed post again

Well let me educate

Companies don't recruit based on the schools you went to, that is why we have job aptitude test those who passed the apptitude test would be qualified for the interview then if u perform well regardless the university you attended you would be recruited.

So don't believe those fairy tales

Point Of correction, this is not inspired by ignorance or miss-information, but by actual observation and interaction by past experience from victims. People don't just make up things like this, people know when they are being ostracized and stigmatized.

This thread of mine is about obvious bias against smaller varsities, if you say you don't believe it, that's you being oblivious to your society. And I didn't say schools are the yardstick for qualification for employment but I know the bias isn't transparent either
. Of course your results are, but that doesn't change the fact that some(federal uni)get to be called for tests/interviews more than others(state/private uni), and the question is why ? When graduates from non-federal schools have quality grades too.

@last bolded, its no fairy tale, its reality.
Re: Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? by PreciousBro: 4:40pm On Jan 03, 2014
Archmage: Its simply social difèrentiation, the same thing that makes people believe they cant be successful until they travel abroad, that women have lesser abilities than men and many other stereotypical beliefs. It a sad reality, and it has and will deny many people great chances to prove themselves. Moreover, as individuals, we more or less pass judgements on individuals before we meet them based on percieved characteristics. Employer also do the same!

True, Very Correct.

Its really a sad reality indeed. How we'd proffer solution to this stereotypical Nonsense is beyond the society, the society starts from individuals and employers shouldn't be exceptions to this solution.
Re: Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? by promisechild(m): 5:36pm On Jan 03, 2014
~PreciousBro~:

Point Of correction, this is not inspired by ignorance or miss-information, but by actual observation and interaction by past experience from victims. People don't just make up things like this, people know when they are being ostracized and stigmatized.

This thread of mine is about obvious bias against smaller varsities, if you say you don't believe it, that's you being oblivious to your society. And I didn't say schools are the yardstick for qualification for employment but I know the bias isn't transparent either
. Of course your results are, but that doesn't change the fact that some(federal uni)get to be called for tests/interviews more than others(state/private uni), and the question is why ? When graduates from non-federal schools have quality grades too.

@last bolded, its no fairy tale, its reality.
all you wrote out there are totally nonsense

Get your claims right before disgracing yourself outside

Employers don't need the school u went to. they need your IQ. all my brothers finished from state universities and they are doing perfectly well than their federal universities counterpart.

what matters most is the result

Even to gain admission into those state universities na wahala.
Re: Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? by PreciousBro: 6:53pm On Jan 03, 2014
For God sake, why are some people so dull ? Just read what this guy is yapping about, pushing me to break his head when in actuality its my rule of ''No abuse/insult'' i'd be breaking.

promisechild: all you wrote out there are totally nonsense
Get your claims right before disgracing yourself outside
Employers don't need the school u went to. they need your IQ. all my brothers finished from state universities and they are doing perfectly well than their federal universities counterpart.
what matters most is the result
Even to gain admission into those state universities na wahala.

Oga, why not stay out of this discussion when you share zero intelligence Quotient in relating to this matter huh ? Please do me and you that favor,i beg you.

Did you actually read and assimilate my drift on this matter being prejudice,Bias against state and private schools as a stigmatized norm in our society ? The issue is more psychological than it is in paper Fact, and its a fact......[i just hope you understand this]. I didnt say smaller versity graduates dont get jobs or dont get called for interviews but that they tend to be at a lesser advantage in attaining opportunity and this is proved by statistics.

We can argue all we want but it isnt gonna change our societal-body-knowledge.
Take for instance the number of students for scholarship abroad by government bodies are mostly federal pupils in higher numbers.

Wish i could post a link clarifying my stand on this, revealing the embarrassing statistics and why people on the street tend to feel so but hide under the bid to avoid being an advocate of double standard traits. Please dont quote me again.
Re: Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? by promisechild(m): 9:21pm On Jan 03, 2014
~PreciousBro~:
For God sake, why are some people so dull ? Just read what this guy is yapping about, pushing me to break his head when in actuality its my rule of ''No abuse/insult'' i'd be breaking.

Oga, why not stay out of this discussion when you share zero intelligence Quotient in relating to this matter huh ? Please do me and you that favor,i beg you.

Did you actually read and assimilate my drift on this matter being prejudice,Bias against state and private schools as a stigmatized norm in our society ? The issue is more psychological than it is in paper Fact, and its a fact......[i just hope you understand this]. I didnt say smaller versity graduates dont get jobs or dont get called for interviews but that they tend to be at a lesser advantage in attaining opportunity and this is proved by statistics.

We can argue all we want but it isnt gonna change our societal-body-knowledge.
Take for instance the number of students for scholarship abroad by government bodies are mostly federal pupils in higher numbers.

Wish i could post a link clarifying my stand on this, revealing the embarrassing statistics and why people on the street tend to feel so but hide under the bid to avoid being an advocate of double standard traits. Please dont quote me again.
mr dullard abeg go sit don one post jare. this your post is very absurd and meaningless I shouldn't be puzzled if you are still a jambito.

Make I no start this year with brawl

I know u would quote this but I wouldn't be here to read it because am getting out of this senseless topic right away.
Re: Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? by PreciousBro: 9:33pm On Jan 03, 2014
promisechild: mr dullard abeg go sit don one post jare. this your post is very absurd and meaningless I shouldn't be puzzled if you are still a jambito.
I know u would quote this but I wouldn't be here to read it because am getting out of this s̶e̶n̶s̶e̶l̶e̶s̶s̶ topic right away.

Please do , You're beginning to sound like one that failed miserably in a wack school, I careless what your problem is anyways, just keep off as its clear this thread is simply beyond your grasp.
Re: Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jan 03, 2014
whiteking169: op,i dont think that federal university are given preference than state or private,no no no,the only things you enjoy in federal university is the opportunity to meet some children of who is who,who choosed not to study abroad and decide to study in nigeria federal university,ops as a matter of fact all nigeria university are good,i mean they are the same,the only thing is the managements of this school,but academic staff are the same,exspecialy in engineering and technology studies in nigeria,ops i think what we should pray for is to stop the sydrome of who knows who and make employement open to all,and it should be on merit,if this is not done abeg still the same oyo we go they oooooo
u are a ignorant, saying what u don't know
Re: Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jan 03, 2014
promisechild: mr dullard abeg go sit don one post jare. this your post is very absurd and meaningless I shouldn't be puzzled if you are still a jambito.

I know u would quote this but I wouldn't be here to read it because am getting out of this senseless topic right away.
another ignorant who lack knowledge of understand, he only comment on the topic without understanding the write-up.
Re: Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? by Archmage(m): 11:37pm On Jan 03, 2014
first of all, i think
1. the competition to get admission into federal schools is intense. so seemingly, only 'the best get admitted(which is not true). and those not admitted into federal schools end up in states schools.
2. federal schools get more grants and funding from government, so, it seems, 'what you spend more money on should produce better products'
3. federal schools have more professors and high ranking academicians. so, it seems they are open to better ideas and teaching.
my cents
Re: Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? by promisechild(m): 11:40pm On Jan 03, 2014
coded80: another ignorant who lack knowledge of understand, he only comment on the topic without understanding the write-up.
another grammatical blunder from a so called federal university student.I pity your life with this so called english of yours
Re: Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? by PreciousBro: 12:14am On Jan 04, 2014
Archmage: first of all, i think
1. the competition to get admission into federal schools is intense. so seemingly, only 'the best get admitted(which is not true). and those not admitted into federal schools end up in states schools.
2. federal schools get more grants and funding from government, so, it seems, 'what you spend more money on should produce better products'
3. federal schools have more professors and high ranking academicians. so, it seems they are open to better ideas and teaching.
my cents

I quite i agree and disagree with you. Federal schools are owned by the federal government such that they do most of its financing, and representing the country's versity nationally and internationally. On the funding and grants from the federal government is absolutely true,however it does not translate to astronomical monies paid by students rather it subsidizes expenses, only the federal government feels the effect of the high.

But i cant say the same for states and private schools because state tends to rely on the allocation/revenue from the state government,which often times isnt reliable hence the high pay. As for private,Well we all know the individualism orientation there. Lol

Now speaking of learning process and why it could probably favor those in federal schools is solely on exposure, availability of readily useful and much needful materials thus being at an advantage. What i dont understand is, some private versity are more of an advantage in this regard but still take low spot after federal and state in hierarchy of national standard. Ofcourse, there are exceptions with some phenomenal private schools such as the Babcocks, covenants etc. But they are still under the category of private tier.
Re: Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? by Nobody: 6:45am On Jan 04, 2014
promisechild: another grammatical blunder from a so called federal university student.I pity your life with this so called english of yours

who told u i am a student of federal university? u should pity urself not me, because i still understand the topic before commenting on it. But in ur own case u just read the headline and start commenting without reading the body of the topic, all because u are a jealous of federal universities or they fail to admit u after taking part in their exam for several years.
Re: Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? by PreciousBro: 7:10am On Jan 04, 2014
coded80: who told u i am a student of federal university? u should pity urself not me, because i still understand the topic before commenting on it. But in ur own case u just read the headline and start commenting without reading the body of the topic, all because u are a jealous of federal universities or they fail to admit u after taking part in their exam for several years.

My Dear, Just Ignore him, @Bolded is actually his problem. One doesn't need a mind reader to pick those truth from his disturbed hearted mind. After reading his unconnected remarks to the said issue I knew he was emotionally bruised by this thread, feeling uncomfortable by it.

The thing is that, he fails to see how he's a problematic body to this embarrassing situation, in his own case,its an issue to self degradation more like a complex thing thus the ill mannerism he uses to approach this thread. He can change things though, if only he doesn't care and strive to enrich his mentality with societal equity.
Re: Prejudice Against Non-federal Varsity/universities, Who Should We Blame ? by PreciousBro: 12:35pm On Sep 11, 2016
This though! cry

(1) (Reply)

University Of Uyo, UNIUYO Admission List For The 2014/2015 / 17 Of The World's Smallest Countries / AMSTERDAM Excellence Scholarship 2015/2016 FOR Master Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.