Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,773 members, 7,809,980 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:11 PM

10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. (21731 Views)

Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health / 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) / 10 Ways You Didn’t Know To Cook An Egg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by Fatdon(m): 7:09pm On Jan 04, 2014
Instant noodles are a fast, cheap and easy to cook food for the man on the go but do you know they can kill you.

1. Nutrient Absorption : Noodles inhibit the absorption of nutrients for the children under 5.

2. Cancer : The ingredient in the instant noodles called "Styrofoam', is a cancer causing agent.

3. Miscarriage : Women who are Eating instant noodles during their pregnancy causes miscarriage, because it affect the development of a foetus.

4. Junk Food : instant noodles are enriched with full of carbohydrates,but no vitamins, fiber and minerals. This makes the instant noodles considered as a junk food.

5. Sodium : Instant noodles are power packed with high amounts of sodium. Excess consumption of sodium leads to heart disease, stroke,
hypertension and kidney damage.

6. MSG : Monosodium Glutamate is used to enhance the flavour of instant noodles. People who are allergic to MSG consume it as part of
their diet, then they end up suffering from headaches, facial flushing, pain, burning sensations.

7. Overweight : Eating Noodles is the leading cause of obesity. Noodles contains fat and large amounts of sodium, which causes water
retention in the body and surely it leads to overweight, and obesity leads to heart problems.

8. Digestion : Instant noodles are bad for digestive system. Regular consumption of instant noodles causes irregular bowl movements
and bloating.

9. Propylene Glycol : The ingredient in the instant noodles called "Propylene Glycol" which has a anti-freeze property. This ingredient is used
because it prevents the noodles from drying by retaining moisture. It weakens the immune system of our body. It is easily absorbed by the
body and it accumulates in the kidneys, heart and liver. It causes abnormalities and damage to thoseareas.

10. Metabolism : Regular consumption of instant noodles affect the body's metabolism, because of the chemical substances like additives, coloring and preservatives inside the noodles.

[url]m.naij.com/news/55773.html[/url]

2 Likes

Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by badmeat(m): 7:48pm On Jan 04, 2014
My indomie till I die,undecided

3 Likes

Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jan 07, 2014
Na one thing go sha kill person jare... No chop this, no chop that grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by Seun(m): 4:45pm On Jan 07, 2014
This article strikes me as an unscientific article. It makes many outrageous claims:

1. By what mechanism?

2. Styrofoam is a type of plastic. Noodles are not made of plastic. Plastics do not absorb water and cannot be cooked or digested.

3. By what mechanism?

4. The following foods are also junk if taken alone: rice, yams, bread, honey, amala, eba, fufu.

5. Sodium in food is basically salt. Are noodles more salty than the other foods we eat? I don't think so.

6. What percentage f the population is allergic to MSG and won't those people notice if consuming noodles was making them sick?

7. Sodium in food is basically salt. Are noodles more salty than the other foods we eat? I don't think so.

8. What makes them bad for the digestive system?

9. Provide proof that noodles contain this ingredient and also that it is harmful.

10. That makes no sense at all.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by Lilimax(f): 5:07pm On Jan 07, 2014
bad meat: My indomie till I die,undecided
Just limit the consumption undecided
I will never forget what a Doctor told me concerning instant noodles in LUTH lipsrsealed.

I seldom give my kids Noodles these days .

1 Like

Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by Seun(m): 7:03pm On Jan 07, 2014
Lilimax:
Just limit the consumption undecided
I will never forget what a Doctor told me concerning instant noodles in LUTH lipsrsealed.

I seldom give my kids Noodles these days .
what did he tell you exactly?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by XLR8(m): 7:16pm On Jan 07, 2014
And what doesn't cause cancer. Those scientists even said sitting too long, your lappy or phone in contact with your bare skin can cause cancer.

Scientists said chocolate causes diabetes then I later read again, they said it reduces the risk of postate cancer

i don't trust them scientists. Soon they will say indomie is more nutritious than breastmilk for babies.

1 Like

Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by gluv01(f): 8:41pm On Jan 07, 2014
Seun: This article strikes me as an unscientific article. It makes many outrageous claims:

10. That makes no sense at all.

Nawa for Seun sef. You dey question everything. I know the answer but am too lazy to start typing tongue
Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by jammyunn(m): 8:51pm On Jan 07, 2014
I've disliked noodles since a became an adult.
Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by krugar07(m): 9:12pm On Jan 07, 2014
Fatdon:

2. Cancer : The ingredient in the instant noodles called styrofoam, is a cancer causing agent.

the styrofoam I know is the synthetic material that's mostly used in packaging of electronics.. Popularly Used in making napalm. Explain how its in noodles.
Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by gluv01(f): 9:22pm On Jan 07, 2014
krugar07: the styrofoam I know is the synthetic material that's mostly used in packaging of electronics.. Popularly Used in making napalm. Explain how its in noodles.

The noodles that come with polystyrene foam food containers can cause cancer. Styrene is a chemical found in polystyrene plastics, better known as Styrofoam materials. Styrofoam has long been known for its negative impact on the environment, as the material is difficult to recycle and break down in landfills. The plastic is commonly used for its durability, insulation and affordable prices, and can typically be found in restaurants and cafeterias in the form of takeout containers, trays and cups.
Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by Uniquexty(f): 9:24pm On Jan 07, 2014
Idonbelievit
Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by krugar07(m): 6:35am On Jan 08, 2014
gluv01:

The noodles that come with polystyrene foam food containers can cause cancer.[s]Styrene is a chemical found in polystyrene plastics, better known as Styrofoam materials. Styrofoam has long been known for its negative impact on the environment, as the material is difficult to recycle and break down in landfills. The plastic is commonly used for its durability, insulation and affordable prices, and can typically be found in restaurants and cafeterias in the form of takeout containers, trays and cups
[/s].
jeez, I knw all about styrofoam. All I asked the OP is how styrofaom is an INGREDENT used in making noodles.. btw I don't think I av seen noodles packaged in 'polystyrene foam food containers'
Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by Dhurmynick(m): 9:47am On Jan 08, 2014
Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by SwaGUnLimiTeD(m): 9:53am On Jan 08, 2014
End time tinzzz
Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by Nobody: 11:48am On Jan 08, 2014
krugar07: jeez, I knw all about styrofoam. All I asked the OP is how styrofaom is an INGREDENT used in making noodles.. btw I don't think I av seen noodles packaged in 'polystyrene foam food containers'
there was a brand of indomie dat came in a plastic in which u had to add hot water 2 b4 it cooks aw about dat

1 Like

Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by gluv01(f): 12:00am On Jan 09, 2014
krugar07: jeez, I knw all about styrofoam. All I asked the OP is how styrofaom is an INGREDENT used in making noodles.. btw I don't think I av seen noodles packaged in 'polystyrene foam food containers'

Sorry smiley. Well it is. At least i've seen it in Lagos
Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by UyiIredia(m): 8:15am On Jan 09, 2014
I have lived and will most likely die eating Indomie. How many times that thing don save from hunger in school sef ?
Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by Lilimax(f): 10:59am On Jan 09, 2014
Seun: what did he tell you exactly?
I was opportuned to go to the Oncology Department in Luth,
and I overhead Nurses advising the Out -patients in the clinic to desist from giving
their kids instant noodles.
She said that the rate at which young girls below 15years develop breast cancer is becoming alarming
and worrisome and they've traced it to Instant nooodles. She even said that we should quote her?
I asked a lot of questions from a doctor that day and all pointing towards the same direction.
From that day I took my decision on instant noodles.
Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by Seun(m): 12:23pm On Jan 09, 2014
Lilimax: She said that the rate at which young girls below 15years develop breast cancer is becoming alarming
and worrisome and they've traced it to Instant nooodles. She even said that we should quote her?
How did they link the bosom cancer incidents to instant noodles? Did they use science or statistics or did they just pull it out of their bottoms?
Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by Lilimax(f): 1:02pm On Jan 09, 2014
Seun:
How did they link the bosom cancer incidents to instant noodles? Did they use science or statistics or did they just pull it out of their bottoms?
These were part of the question and many more which I asked them but they insisted
on their points.
After the encounter however, I took my decision on instant noodles afterall
we have other varieties of food for kids.
Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by Fatdon(m): 8:59pm On Jun 28, 2014
Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by Nov2(m): 12:57pm On Jun 30, 2014
Hello fatdon, ao did u get ur findings on all your claims? Did u carry out d research on ur own or u jt stumbled across them on d net. I strongly believe noodles is made up of basically. Flour, spices, flavours, oil and water . And among ur claim that says styrofoam is used in d production of noodles, it is used in d production or in packaging of the product?
Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jul 01, 2014
I quite agree with lilamax on this. One experiment I want u to do is, if u work in an organisation with the whites, ask to prepare noddle forthem and see the reaction.

Overtime , most of these white people value their health and they don't just eat everything.
I'm a food technologist and I can tell u if u get privileged to be in a manufacturin environment, the white people don't consume wht they produce for us. One of my friend did her siwes year at a food company and she's often asked to taste the food at some critical control points. Her boss doesn't want to do that.

That aside, instnt nodles are not good for health. The wax which holds the noodle is typically hazardous to health and they don't get digested so if u eat a lot of noodles daily u stand a risk of being ill at some point.

I also suppor the op on it being a junk. basically, nooslea n pastas are produced from semolina(durum wheat) which is a refined flour. Studies have shown that refined flour has a fiber a low as 1%. Less protein and more carbohydrate. So if u r eating yam or any other starchy or carb based food as Seun opposed, its got fiber! The fiber hasn't been tampered with.
I could go on and on as to why noodles r not safe for consumption.
One last thing iwant everyon to note is that, before the advent of processed food, our fore fathers lived healthy and there wasn't cancer on the rise. Its rare to see a vegetarian get ill. So let's all limit our processed food intake.

Pw: if u also consume agege bread limit it cos most of thes people still use bromate which is carcinogenic.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by Nobody: 9:25am On Jul 02, 2014
edwife, Chillisauce, cococandy,una still dey chop indomie?

Howdy ladies?
Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 02, 2014
byvan: edwife, Chillisauce, cococandy,una still dey chop indomie?

Howdy ladies?
Madam, na food section you carry us come cheesy.
Welcome back. The article is so right, I have replaced all most if my noodles to spaghetti and other pasta. On a very rare occasion I use it now.
One can never be too careful on all these processed foods
Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jul 02, 2014
Chillisauce:
Madam, na food section you carry us come cheesy.
Welcome back. The article is so right, I have replaced all most if my noodles to spaghetti and other pasta. On a very rare occasion I use it now.
One can never be too careful on all these processed foods

Thanks chilli,I don't know what I ll do without noodles, any news on Efe? I can't log into my beevann handle sad.
Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jul 02, 2014
byvan:

Thanks chilli,I don't know what I ll do without noodles, any news on Efe? I can't log into my beevann handle sad.

It's fast and kids love it, you can gradually reduce it. Use different pasta for jellof. You can even make for two days like that you just warm the next day.

Efe, is busy with ikwokirikwo.
Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jul 02, 2014
Chillisauce:

It's fast and kids love it, you can gradually reduce it. Use different pasta for jellof. You can even make for two days like that you just warm the next day.

Correct!

1 Like

Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by EfemenaXY: 5:41pm On Jul 07, 2014
Chillisauce:

grin grin grin

Behave yourself Chilli!

You're right though... I only just surfaced from beneath my Egyptian Cotton sheets to take in a few gulps of air (lol!) Jenny and CC taught me well. tongue tongue

How've you been? Byvan, I see you too babes. Missed you girls o! kiss kiss kiss
Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by spyg1(m): 9:21pm On Jul 08, 2014
They said roasted yam which our forefathers has been eating also causes cancer, hw many of them get cancer then? Everything dis days causes cancer. GOD PLS HELP US FROM THE HANDS OF IDLE SCIENTISTS
Re: 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. by Fatdon(m): 7:16am On Jul 09, 2014
?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Prepare Asaro (Yam Porridge) / What Foods Will I Take In Nigeria To Gain Weigh very Fast. / Beans Lovers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.