Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,007 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:44 PM

Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] (1875 Views)

Onye Ozi, An Igbo Language Movie - One Of The Best Movies Of 2013 / ONYE OZI (the Messenger) Global Premiere Friday 18th October / Ka Anyi Siebi, First Nigerian Igbo Language Tv Drama Series (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] by iconize(m): 4:50pm On Jan 05, 2014
Going through. Trailers on movie list. This movie is going to be one of the biggest movies of 2013.

Onye Ozi, is a first-of-its-kind Nigerian language film; set in London, performed exclusively in the Igbo language (by Nigerian and British actors) and subtitled in English. Ace comedian/Nollywood actor Okey Bakassi plays the lead role.

The film introduces screen newcomer, model turned actress Ngozi Thompson Igwebike in a leading role, with other new actors including British lawyer turned actor Stephen Moriaty filling other roles in a film that is considered a surprising follow up to Obi Emelonye’s hugely successful 2012 blockbuster, Last Flight to Abuja.

T+his as an important film that makes his mother tongue “Igbo” the star attraction. In his own words “Onye Ozi is my humble attempt to contribute my little quota to the preservation of the Igbo language and to take Nollywood back to its roots”.

Synopsis

Onye Ozi tells the story of Metumaribe (Okey Bakassi) fresh into London with high expectations and a two-year plan to return to Nigeria a rich man. However, life in London with his new ‘wife’ Mkpurunma (Ngozi Igwebike) is not going to plan.

On one fateful night, TJ an old English man (Stephen Moriaty) is chased by masked men and shot in front of his eyes. As Metu attempts to help the dying man, he hands Metu an envelope and whispers a message as he takes his last breath. From that point on, Metu becomes involved in a psychological but hilarious adventure that will change his life and the lives of those around him forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrFAQPVYY0M&hl=en&gl=NG&guid=&client=mv-google

1 Like

Re: Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] by Briareos(m): 5:53pm On Jan 05, 2014
Apparently, Obi's attempt to win or to be nominated for the Oscars' Best Foreign Language film category.
Re: Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] by prof800(m): 6:35pm On Jan 05, 2014
Briareos: Apparently, Obi's attempt to win or to be nominated for the Oscars' Best Foreign Language film category.

We'll get there. Someday.
Re: Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jan 05, 2014
Briareos: Apparently, Obi's attempt to win or to be nominated for the Oscars' Best Foreign Language film category.

that's impossible cos we don't enter our movies for oscars in nigeria. So even if your movie is the best thing to ever happen to the movie world, you ain't getting oscars, sorry.

1 Like

Re: Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] by VillageBoi(m): 12:17am On Jan 06, 2014
speedyboi:
that's impossible cos we don't enter our movies for oscars in nigeria. So even if your movie is the best thing to ever happen to the movie world, you ain't getting oscars, sorry.

True that... and even if we did enter we have not yet made a film that can match any of the past 'African' winners talkless of the-rest-of-the-world. We fit reach past winners like Algeria, South Africa or Ivory Coast? Truthfully, not yet.

And sadly @ Mr OP 'Onye Ozi' is not in a million years even better than the worst submission from an African country ever. Let's stop talking crap and kidding ourselves cos it's not even funny anymore. For the calibre of Director 'Onye Ozi' is quite frankly a big disappointment and a set-back that falls into the depth of direct-to-VHS-home-video-lazy-filmmaking quality. Trust me on this - you have never seen an uglier looking film from, ahem*... 'New Nollywood'.
Re: Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] by Nobody: 12:29am On Jan 06, 2014
VillageBoi:
And sadly @ Mr OP 'Onye Ozi' is not in a million years even better than the worst submission from an African country ever. Let's stop talking crap and kidding ourselves cos it's not even funny anymore. For the calibre of Director 'Onye Ozi' is quite frankly a big disappointment and a set-back that falls into the depth of direct-to-VHS-home-video-lazy-filmmaking quality. Trust me on this - you have never seen an uglier looking film from, ahem*... 'New Nollywood'.

okay you've finally killed the tiniest bit of interest i still have left for the film. Congrats angry
note you are the one that slashed my interest in the film from the very beginning. God help you if i later get to watch the film and it's not worth all the bad mouthing, i will strangle you myself angry
Re: Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] by VillageBoi(m): 12:55am On Jan 06, 2014
speedyboi:
I will strangle you myself angry
Do watch the film... let me not kill your interest. Does it have some funny things? Yes. So like me you might enjoy some of it for the bits of humour but that is the only positive thing about it. Technically it is a mess and that curiosity will kill the cat. Please do not strangle yourself as you need to come back here with your opinion. I could be completely wrong about what I saw; you go buy me new eyesglams wink
Re: Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] by Briareos(m): 1:10am On Jan 06, 2014
speedyboi:

I'm sorry - but what do you mean by impossible?

Were we banned by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) never to submit a movie?

The fact that no Nigerian is YET to enter a movie for Oscars Award does NOT mean it will never happen.

And I saw on twitter, Kunle Afolayan asking his fans the procedures for submitting a film for a foreign award. I'm sure he intends to submit October 1st.

So, if October 1st is good enough, he might win an Oscar, sorry.
Re: Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] by Polio: 1:23am On Jan 06, 2014
OP change the title of this thread. What is the meaning of 'Britains'?!
Re: Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] by VillageBoi(m): 1:28am On Jan 06, 2014
^ ^ ^
Na Britons him mean oh!
Re: Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] by VillageBoi(m): 1:31am On Jan 06, 2014
Briareos:
And I saw on twitter, Kunle Afolayan asking his fans the procedures for submitting a film for a foreign award. I'm sure he intends to submit October 1st.

He's asking his fans? Seriously? WTF happened to 'Googling' something? Anyway I hope he does submit it once he figures out how. The film is in 'English' right? And that has completely different rules. There is NO 'foreign award' but there is a 'foreign LANGUAGE' category as far as I'm aware... again with different rules.

Oh and you need to get to the 'nomination' stage first before you can even dream of winning.
Re: Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] by Briareos(m): 12:03pm On Jan 06, 2014
VillageBoi:
He's asking his fans? Seriously? WTF happened to 'Googling' something? Anyway I hope he does submit it once he figures out how. The film is in 'English' right? And that has completely different rules. There is NO 'foreign award' but there is a 'foreign LANGUAGE' category as far as I'm aware... again with different rules.

Oh and you need to get to the 'nomination' stage first before you can even dream of winning.

I felt it was awkward and very unprofessional for him to be asking his fans about it too. He has many hollywoodians as friends - he could easily ask them privately.

And I think you are mistaken (I kinda misled you, sorry) - by 'foreign awards', I didnt mean it as a category under Oscars. I meant it as "awards or group of awards" that are "foreign"

My first post on this thread attests to that.

On the issue of winning Oscars, I never said "Onye Ozi" will win it or not. I only said;

This is Obi's ATTEMPT to win/or be nominated for Oscar's Best Foreign Language Film category.

Why did I say that? Because he chose to use Igbo language as the primary language for the film.

Did you guys read my first post at all?
Re: Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] by VillageBoi(m): 12:51pm On Jan 06, 2014
Briareos:
Did you guys read my first post at all?
Yes I read your first post and but I didn't respond to it though. We're not saying 'YOU' but just talking about Nigerians/Nigerian filmmakers and the Oscars in general.

Briareos: And I think you are mistaken (I kinda misled you, sorry) - by 'foreign awards', I didnt mean it as a category under Oscars. I meant it as "awards or group of awards" that are "foreign"
Oh no, I didn't take the above as YOU saying it, I took it as something 'HE' was asking on Twitter.
Re: Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] by iconize(m): 5:46pm On Jan 06, 2014
Polio: OP change the title of this thread. What is the meaning of 'Britains'?!

Don't mind me, I did copy and paste.
Re: Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jan 07, 2014
Briareos:

I'm sorry - but what do you mean by impossible?

Were we banned by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) never to submit a movie?

The fact that no Nigerian is YET to enter a movie for Oscars Award does NOT mean it will never happen.

If only it is that simple.
Re: Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] by VillageBoi(m): 3:54pm On Jan 07, 2014
speedyboi:
Exactly!

1 Like

Re: Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] by Briareos(m): 4:43pm On Jan 07, 2014
speedyboi:

VillageBoi:
Exactly!

Haters! undecided
Re: Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] by prof800(m): 8:00pm On Jan 07, 2014
Briareos:

Haters! undecided
grin
Re: Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] by Nobody: 1:16am On Jan 08, 2014
Briareos:

Haters! undecided
cheesy cheesy lmao. More like 'REALISTS' grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] by VillageBoi(m): 10:09am On Jan 08, 2014
Briareos:
Haters! undecided

Lol. No be hate thing. We as Nigerians need to stop believing that because of our 'name' we will win every football match, win any sport we ever partake in and so on... our sense of 'entitlment' is foolish because if we don't put the work in we will get nothing; simple fact.

We're Nigerians and we're that good abi? Common research we sometimes can't be bothered to do abi? So we should know from this 'common research that it takes a very peculiar film to even be nominated takless of winning right? Shebi they say we are 20 years old abi? Ok go back and check all the past nominees for the last 20 yrs - oh and the winners too and to even make it easier do it for only ONE category... you know the one that Nigerians are thinking na our birthright - foreign language, remember... the one that we can't even be bothered to figure out what it even is.
Anyway shaa because yesterday we managed to start using higher quality cameras and fix our horrible sound issues but it really takes a whole lot more than that to get a nominaion in ANY category. IMO I've only come across one film that I think ticks some extra boxes 'Mother of George' - but even if a predominantly English-speaking film could be entered into our 'birthright' category (which it can't) it has probably, if I remember correctly, broken one of the other big qualifying rules for said category.

So as my broda says 'We're realists' wink Shebi una dey see every TV thread here even film threads and a vast number of comments are like - the producers are stu.pid, the writers are stu.pid, the 'everything' is stu.pid... our 'armchair critics' really need to come on board and start making TV shows and films because that's when no country on earth no planet in the unvirse will even win any award again wink wink The fire wey dey our mouth needs to be directed into good productivity.

Let's put things into perspective. Is (what now seems to be the holy grail) possible? Yes of course, if that's what our filmmakers are aiming for. But it will still be a while coming. It's not 'hating' as you assumed. I just know, from common research, how difficult it will be for our current level of films to get a nomination. Oh and let's not forget we also can't be bothered to even figure out 'how' to submit a film and by the time we even do that - they will fight tire before they select the one film for submission and... aaaaah, the time don pas, we late. Hahahaha. Ok, I've run out of jokes wink

2 Likes

Re: Onye Ozi 1st Nigerian Igbo Film Acted By Britons And Nigerians [video] by Isaactroy(m): 11:35pm On Dec 17, 2014
VillageBoi:

Lol. No be hate thing. We as Nigerians need to stop believing that because of our 'name' we will win every football match, win any sport we ever partake in and so on... our sense of 'entitlment' is foolish because if we don't put the work in we will get nothing; simple fact.

We're Nigerians and we're that good abi? Common research we sometimes can't be bothered to do abi? So we should know from this 'common research that it takes a very peculiar film to even be nominated takless of winning right? Shebi they say we are 20 years old abi? Ok go back and check all the past nominees for the last 20 yrs - oh and the winners too and to even make it easier do it for only ONE category... you know the one that Nigerians are thinking na our birthright - foreign language, remember... the one that we can't even be bothered to figure out what it even is.
Anyway shaa because yesterday we managed to start using higher quality cameras and fix our horrible sound issues but it really takes a whole lot more than that to get a nominaion in ANY category. IMO I've only come across one film that I think ticks some extra boxes 'Mother of George' - but even if a predominantly English-speaking film could be entered into our 'birthright' category (which it can't) it has probably, if I remember correctly, broken one of the other big qualifying rules for said category.

So as my broda says 'We're realists' wink Shebi una dey see every TV thread here even film threads and a vast number of comments are like - the producers are stu.pid, the writers are stu.pid, the 'everything' is stu.pid... our 'armchair critics' really need to come on board and start making TV shows and films because that's when no country on earth no planet in the unvirse will even win any award again wink wink The fire wey dey our mouth needs to be directed into good productivity.

Let's put things into perspective. Is (what now seems to be the holy grail) possible? Yes of course, if that's what our filmmakers are aiming for. But it will still be a while coming. It's not 'hating' as you assumed. I just know, from common research, how difficult it will be for our current level of films to get a nomination. Oh and let's not forget we also can't be bothered to even figure out 'how' to submit a film and by the time we even do that - they will fight tire before they select the one film for submission and... aaaaah, the time don pas, we late. Hahahaha. Ok, I've run out of jokes wink

all ur write ups are just rubish,haters like u should just go and live inside transformer(not huging it)

(1) (Reply)

Guys Please Can U List Sites I Can Download American Movies Pls / Download Latest Nollywood Movie Oloture / Cradel 2 Grave: It Was My Honour To Work With You, Jet Li Tribute To DMX(Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.