Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,222 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:37 AM

Garlic Health Benefits- Why You Should Eat Raw Garlic Daily - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Garlic Health Benefits- Why You Should Eat Raw Garlic Daily (5403 Views)

10 Reasons/benefits Why You Should Detoxify Your Body Regularly / 10 Surprising Health Benefits Of Beer / 10 Things A Man Should Eat Everyday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Garlic Health Benefits- Why You Should Eat Raw Garlic Daily by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jan 05, 2014
Garlic is a vegetable and is a species of the onion genus. Garlic is often used to add flavour to recipes and dishes. However, garlic can also be used as a medicine to prevent or treat a wide range of aliments and diseases.

Garlic cloves contain many vital nutrients including vitamins, amino acids, and enzymes. Garlic contains sulfur compounds from the amino acid allicin, which is most noted for producing garlic’s powerful odor.

Why you should eat garlic raw:
When the garlic is cooked this prohibits the garlic’s ability to make allicin. Allicin is one of the primary components of garlic that gives it its health benefits, including the ability to prevent cancer. Allicin is produced in garlic when the garlic enzyme alliinase is cut or chewed. However, when the garlic is cooked alliinase is then inactivated which causes allicin to not be produced.

Before consuming the garlic it is best to allow the cut or crushed garlic to be exposed to the air for at least 5 to 10 minutes in order for the compounds to become fully activated.

How do you incorporate garlic into your daily diet?
There’s two options:

1. Add the garlic to your meal or add it to a green juice or smoothie.
2. Cut a clove of garlic into small pieces and swallow the small pieces one at a time. (with a meal)

10 Reasons Why you should eat garlic daily:
1. Garlic Contains a High Amount of Antioxidants – The antioxidants destroy free radicals and reduce overall oxidative stress. Free radicals can damage DNA and cell membranes. High levels of oxidative stress have been associated with many diseases and conditions. Antioxidants are also beneficial for preventing types of cancer.

2. Garlic Lowers Your Cholesterol- A study found that the consumption of garlic reduced cholesterol by 9 to 12 percent. Reductions were noted in LDL cholesterol, and triglycerides.

3. Garlic is Antibacterial- Garlic acts as a natural antibiotic. It is able to eliminate harmful bacteria but does not kill off healthy bacteria as chemical antibiotics do.

4. Garlic is Anti-fungal- Garlic’s Allicin is also responsible for destroying fungi. Many use garlic as a means of eliminating fungal infections.

5. Garlic Thins the Blood- Garlic consumption has been shown to thin the blood which can aid in preventing heart disease, the formation of blood clots, heart attacks and stroke.

6. Garlic Boosts Your Immune System- Garlic has strong antiviral properties. To many in Russia, garlic was known as “Russian Penicillin” due to its abilities to effectively treat infections. A study found that garlic is effective at preventing and treating the common cold. It found that those who consumed garlic had significantly fewer colds and the length of their cold was shortened compared to those who did not eat garlic.

7. Garlic Lowers Risk of Atherosclerosis: Studies suggest that garlic may prevent blood clots and destroy plaque which contribute to the development of atherosclerosis.

8. Garlic Lowers Your Blood Pressure- Garlic has been used in China for many years as blood pressure medication. Additionally, the Japanese government officially recognized garlic as a blood-pressure depressor.

9. Garlic Helps Your Joints- A study found that those who eat high amounts of garlic were less likely to have osteoarthritis.

10.Garlic Prevents Cancer- Increased intake of garlic has been found to be associated with the reduced risk of certain cancers. This includes cancers of the stomach, colon, esophagus, pancreas, and breast.

http://www.healthextremist.com/garlic-health-benefits-why-you-should-eat-r/

Re: Garlic Health Benefits- Why You Should Eat Raw Garlic Daily by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jan 05, 2014
As an addendum...

Prostate cancer
Doctors at the Department of Urology, China-Japan Friendship Hospital, Beijing, China, carried out a study evaluating the relationship between Allium vegetable consumption and prostate cancer risk.

They gathered and analyzed published studies up to May 2013 and reported their findings in the Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention6.

The study authors wrote "Allium vegetables, especially garlic intake, are related to a decreased risk of prostate cancer".

The team also commented that as there were not that many studies, they recommend further well-designed prospective studies be carried out to confirm their findings.

Alcohol-induced liver injury
Alcohol-induced liver injury (ethanol-induced liver injury) is caused by the long-term over-consumption of alcoholic beverages.

Scientists at the Institute of Toxicology, School of Public Health, Shandong University, China, wanted to determine whether diallyl disulfide (DADS), a garlic-derived organosulfur compound, might have protective effects against ethanol-induced oxidative stress.

Their study was published in Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA)7.

The researchers concluded that DADS may help protect against ethanol-induced liver injury.

P[b]reterm (premature) delivery[/b]
Microbial infections during pregnancy raise a woman's risk of preterm delivery, several studies have demonstrated. Scientists at the Division of Epidemiology, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, wanted to find out what impact foods might have on antimicrobial infections and preterm delivery risk.

The study and its findings were published in the Journal of Nutrition8.

Ronny Myhre and colleagues concentrated on the effects of Alliums and dried fruits, because a literature search had identified these two foods as showing the greatest promise for reducing preterm delivery risk.

The team investigated the intake of dried fruit and Alliums among 18,888 women in the Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort, of whom 5% (950) underwent spontaneous PTD (preterm delivery).

The study authors concluded "Intake of food with antimicrobial and prebiotic compounds may be of importance to reduce the risk of spontaneous PTD. In particular, garlic was associated with overall lower risk of spontaneous PTD."

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265853.php
Re: Garlic Health Benefits- Why You Should Eat Raw Garlic Daily by preeky: 10:01pm On Jan 05, 2014
Knowledge is power thanks op.I do shallow fry my garlic for a maximum of three minutes in cooked beans hope I never lose the allicin .Reason my mouth cant handle the raw garlic. I get so tortured mentally cos of its stinging power beyond my pain level and I end up stamping feet and banging everything to ease the pain.In summary any time I try it raw I lose all senses for seconds.

1 Like

Re: Garlic Health Benefits- Why You Should Eat Raw Garlic Daily by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jan 05, 2014
preeky: Knowledge is power thanks op.I do shallow fry my garlic for a maximum of three minutes in cooked beans hope I never lose the allicin .Reason my mouth cant handle the raw garlic. I get so tortured mentally cos of its stinging power beyond my pain level and I end up stamping feet and banging everything to ease the pain.In summary any time I try it raw I lose all senses for seconds.

I feel your pain. First time I tried it, my mouth was ON FIRE!!! lol I was almost screaming. Just tried it at first cos my mum was so hooked on it, since it was recommended for her chest issues. The tongue burn eased off in few seconds and it was a huge sigh of relief. lol
Re: Garlic Health Benefits- Why You Should Eat Raw Garlic Daily by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jan 05, 2014
masonkz:

I feel your pain. First time I tried it, my mouth was ON FIRE!!! lol I was almost screaming. Just tried it at first cos my mum was so hooked on it, since it was recommended for her chest issues. The tongue burn eased off in few seconds and it was a huge sigh of relief. lol
...then came the odour,a deep,long lasting fetid smell,designed to rouse up the dead from their graves grin

1 Like

Re: Garlic Health Benefits- Why You Should Eat Raw Garlic Daily by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jan 05, 2014
jossi994: ...then came the odour,a deep,long lasting fetid smell,designed to rouse up the dead from their graves grin

Lol. That can be controlled by regular brushing of the teeth. I do brush morning and night. Besides, If you only take garlic at night, the odour should come off by morning.
Re: Garlic Health Benefits- Why You Should Eat Raw Garlic Daily by HezronLorraine(m): 11:53pm On Jan 05, 2014
I know its medical advantages but i can't try it raw though i cook with it.
Re: Garlic Health Benefits- Why You Should Eat Raw Garlic Daily by Jochebed7(f): 1:08pm On Dec 24, 2014
personal exp with garlic
# saw blood on tissue after cleaning up poop. used garlic for two days or so. it cleared
# had a stubborn cough. could not use septrin cos I was pregnant then. used garlic for about a week. it cleared.
I really wish we put more value on herbs around us. a lot of them work wonders.
don't chew mine though. I cut to pieces and swallow after supper

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Garlic Health Benefits- Why You Should Eat Raw Garlic Daily by chimimi(f): 6:56pm On Dec 24, 2014
I luv garlic so much!I like eating it with watermelon kiss

1 Like

Re: Garlic Health Benefits- Why You Should Eat Raw Garlic Daily by Nobody: 6:38am On Dec 25, 2014
chimimi:
I luv garlic so much!I like eating it with watermelon kiss

You must be a healthy gal. cheesy
Re: Garlic Health Benefits- Why You Should Eat Raw Garlic Daily by kemiola89(f): 8:38am On Dec 27, 2014
Even with its many health benefit I don't think I can go near it let alone munch on it. Its smell is so.... Disgusting!
Re: Garlic Health Benefits- Why You Should Eat Raw Garlic Daily by starlingbawa(m): 10:28pm On Jan 09, 2015
I find the odour 'VERY REPULSIVE' at best hence I make a point of duty to take the odourless Garlic capsules on a daily basis.

Good write up OP.

Re: Garlic Health Benefits- Why You Should Eat Raw Garlic Daily by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jan 09, 2015
starlingbawa:
I find the odour 'VERY REPULSIVE' at best hence I make a point of duty to take the odourless Garlic capsules on a daily basis.

Good write up OP.

Thanks.

Interesting. Never thought there was a capsule for it. Quite innovative.
Re: Garlic Health Benefits- Why You Should Eat Raw Garlic Daily by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jan 10, 2015
Nice.

(1) (Reply)

Jigsimur Jigsimur / Inflatable Baby Sofa for 15k / Soursop: Where Can I Get Soursop In Large Qty.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.