Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,813 members, 7,824,380 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:13 AM

Funny And Bizzare Landlords' Tenant Preferences - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Funny And Bizzare Landlords' Tenant Preferences (884 Views)

Should I Give My Unfaithful Tenant An Eviction Notice? / <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> / Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Funny And Bizzare Landlords' Tenant Preferences by nenergy(m): 7:51pm On Jan 07, 2014
Having preferences is a normal part of being human. yoghurt to ice cream, fish to meat and buns to puff puff. So its normal for Nigerian landlords to prefer a particular kind of tenant to another. But recently due to housing challenges in Nigeria and maybe personal experiences, Nigerian landlords' preferences have become very funny and even bizzare. Some are outrightly prejudicial and discriminatory.

Below are the ones I have heard.

1. Occupation preferences. e.g I don't want government worker.

2. Religious preferences e.g I don't want christian/ moslem.

3. Marital status preferences. e.g I don't want a single man, unmarried couple or widow.

4. Tribal/Ethnic preferences. e.g I don't want warri people.

The most hilarious I have heard is; "I want a born again Yoruba man". Heard that yesterday.

Have you been turned down by a landlord? Why? Please share!
Re: Funny And Bizzare Landlords' Tenant Preferences by nenergy(m): 7:54pm On Jan 07, 2014
Composed, edited and posted from my Tecno P5. I am feeling it die grin
Re: Funny And Bizzare Landlords' Tenant Preferences by professore(m): 7:59pm On Jan 07, 2014
Na una create thread,na una come still be the first to comment,bravo.
Re: Funny And Bizzare Landlords' Tenant Preferences by Gboliwe: 8:03pm On Jan 07, 2014
nenergy: Having preferences is a normal part of being human. yoghurt to ice cream, fish to meat and buns to puff puff. So its normal for Nigerian landlords to prefer a particular kind of tenant to another. But recently due to housing challenges in Nigeria and maybe personal experiences, Nigerian landlords' preferences have become very funny and even bizzare. Some are outrightly prejudicial and discriminatory.
Below are the ones I have heard.
1. Occupation preferences. e.g I don't want government worker.
2. Religious preferences e.g I don't want christian/ moslem.
3. Marital status preferences. e.g I don't want a single man, unmarried couple or widow.
4. Tribal/Ethnic preferences. e.g I don't want warri people.
The most hilarious I have heard is; "I want a born again Yoruba man". Heard that yesterday.
Have you been turned down by a landlord? Why? Please share!
My current landlord said he didnt want a married couple and even if he would accept them, they must not live with their children. That singular statement should have told me I was about to sign up tenancy with a monster! I didnt listen cry

2. In a bid to know what I did for a living (I didnt come forth with a willing answer) he listed many occupations he would not tolerate. I didnt fall into any on his list. He had - Police, a driver, any hotel worker, doesnt matter if u were a waiter or the manager and funnily, a non worker grin

3. He didnt want any tenant from a particular local government in his own state.

My landlord is an i dio t!
Re: Funny And Bizzare Landlords' Tenant Preferences by nenergy(m): 8:23pm On Jan 07, 2014
Gboliwe: My current landlord said he didnt want a married couple and even if he would accept them, they must not live with their children. That singular statement should have told me I was about to sign up tenancy with a monster! I didnt listen cry

2. In a bid to know what I did for a living (I didnt come forth with a willing answer) he listed many occupations he would not tolerate. I didnt fall into any on his list. He had - Police, a driver, any hotel worker, doesnt matter if u were a waiter or the manager and funnily, a non worker grin

3. He didnt want any tenant from a particular local government in his own state.

My landlord is an i dio t!

Nawa o! But why these preferences. have they showed him pepper before?
Re: Funny And Bizzare Landlords' Tenant Preferences by nenergy(m): 8:25pm On Jan 07, 2014
professore: Na una create thread,na una come still be the first to comment,bravo.
sorry stealing your thunder grin
Re: Funny And Bizzare Landlords' Tenant Preferences by yimikaa: 10:26am On Jan 08, 2014
there's a particular landlord in my former area that likes accepting single ,working class ladies only..he can give 20% discount to any lady that falls in this category.

1 Like

Re: Funny And Bizzare Landlords' Tenant Preferences by nenergy(m): 12:14pm On Jan 08, 2014
yimikaa: there's a particular landlord in my former area that likes accepting single ,working class ladies only..he can give 20% discount to any lady that falls in this category.

I dey suspect that landlord o wink
Re: Funny And Bizzare Landlords' Tenant Preferences by Lionrex(m): 2:11pm On Jul 01, 2014
Please, dear friends.. I have a challenge and I'll need your opinion on it. I move into an apartment a year and six months ago. When I was paying the first one year rent in Abuja, there were things the Landlord didn't fix which he agreed to fix as soon as I pay him. E.g, the flour of the compound, the security wire on the fence. These he didn't do until my one year rent expired, I payed another six months rent but stated clearly that if he doesn't fix the security wire, I will be moving out. A month ago, he came with his lawyer to my house and asked me if what I told him about moving still stands, I told him yes except he will fix the fence. He left with his lawyer and that same week, Local Robbers came through the fence in our absent and broke in to the house and went away with 325,000 Naira and things worth 300,000. I sent message to the landlord and he refused to come, he told me he was sick. A day to the expiration of my six months rent, he came to the house to say sorry for what happened. I asked him how do we share the losses since the robbers came in through fence he refused to wired, he told me there was nothing he could do, I told him to give few months to gather myself and move out from him compound, he said no way. A day after my rent expired I saw his lawyer in my house telling me that he's giving me 7 day notice to evacuate the premises. Pls I need your opinion on this matter, this happen in Abuja today. Thanks
Re: Funny And Bizzare Landlords' Tenant Preferences by Gboliwe: 2:26pm On Jul 01, 2014
Lionrex: Please, dear friends.. I have a challenge and I'll need your opinion on it. I move into an apartment a year and six months ago. When I was paying the first one year rent in Abuja, there were things the Landlord didn't fix which he agreed to fix as soon as I pay him. E.g, the flour of the compound, the security wire on the fence. These he didn't do until my one year rent expired, I payed another six months rent but stated clearly that if he doesn't fix the security wire, I will be moving out. A month ago, he came with his lawyer to my house and asked me if what I told him about moving still stands, I told him yes except he will fix the fence. He left with his lawyer and that same week, Local Robbers came through the fence in our absent and broke in to the house and went away with 325,000 Naira and things worth 300,000. I sent message to the landlord and he refused to come, he told me he was sick. A day to the expiration of my six months rent, he came to the house to say sorry for what happened. I asked him how do we share the losses since the robbers came in through fence he refused to wired, he told me there was nothing he could do, I told him to give few months to gather myself and move out from him compound, he said no way. A day after my rent expired I saw his lawyer in my house telling me that he's giving me 7 day notice to evacuate the premises. Pls I need your opinion on this matter, this happen in Abuja today. Thanks
get your own lawyer fast!

(1) (Reply)

4 Nos Of 3 Bedroom Flats At Pupoosola, New Oko Oba Area@ N28m / Building Your House From Scratch Or Getting A Mortgage, Which Is Cost Effective? / Use Your Facebook, Nairaland, Gmail And Twitter Accounts To Advertise Yourself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.