Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,729 members, 7,816,996 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:30 PM

Does 1999 Toyota Camry CE Have This Problem? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does 1999 Toyota Camry CE Have This Problem? (864 Views)

Please What Is The Difference Between Camry CE, LE, And XLE / Difference Btw Camry CE And LE? / Check Engine Signal - Toyota Camry CE 1999 model (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Does 1999 Toyota Camry CE Have This Problem? by IdaraCHODB(m): 9:16pm On Jan 08, 2014
Quote from an ebay user's complaint:

I have a 1999 Toyota Camry CE (C- cheap E- edition )that I got new ,now with 80000 miles ,and if all the other years are built the same you may have a handling safety risk . I am not new to driving , My first car was a 1957 Porsche 356 Super got it in 1964 when it was just a no name who cares sports car . All the kids then had 1957 Chevy,s they were cool ,Back to the Camry ,its what I would call very dangerous in a panic stop . The C E (stands for cheap edition) dose not have Anti lock brakes .Traction in the front end on the CE is one wheel only . On wet streets with Super hard Dunlop tires its not hard to brake a front drive wheel loose and spin it .Why even have front wheel drive like this .Ok now for the Killer ,with front engine front wheel drive (one front wheel only drive no posi traction) and a poorly balanced car even on dry black top if I slam on the brakes (panic stop ) in even the slightest turn the car will swap ends (spin out ) faster than I can counter steer (Thats called gross over steer).

And if you think, I am maybe to old and slow ,I teach Kids 18-20 years old Fencing (sword play ,foil epee ,saber).Of all the cars I have ever had or rented or used the only car that would spin out as fast as a Camry was a 1982 Ford Fairmount Cheap Tank rental car . And that was in a sharp turn and recovery was made (with out a spin out). If you have a Camry I suggest the softest sticky tires you can find , I run high end Michelin snow tires all year (not all weathers!" SNOW "tires! ) They seem to hold up as good as what came on the car maybe even better . Two months of the summer I change the front two back to Dunlops .The front right always goes first (drive side ,The only wheel pulling the car down the road once more no posi traction like a well built car should have ) Just check out Subaru all wheel drive ,it is a slick system .Power goes to the wheel that needs it not the one that is spinning .To bad front wheel drives can't do that trick ,All though 4 wheel drives burn to much gas .TO Bad Subaru you are going to go out with the Dinosars soon with gas going sky higher every week.Subaru please build Diesels fast !

OK I do live in Ohio and it Rains 70% of the time and snows 20% of the time and the rest is hot and damp (the rain is slowing this year). But the CE (Cheap Edition )Camrys are bad handling cars as bad as you can get !,I would rather Panic stop a Mack truck or a Motorcycle (Any sport bike )with the front brake only on dry black top then the Camry .If you are in the slightest of turn the ass end of your car will get their first ,and maybe like wise in no turn .But Michelin Top of the line Snows will help,some ( And I am not a big fan of Michelin) . I know a lot of Front wheel drive cars are way to light in the rear to make the car respond well in a fast stop as well as handle right like wise. I will never have another one .In the old Porsche cars the weight was was all in the rear and they handled vary good in stops and on the track as well .I had a 1967 VW and it did well stopping in a streight line also . Weight needs to be on all tires evenly in stops and With Front Wheel Drive it never is .(Almost always).

I am sorry if I offended any Toyota lovers,their are lots of other super bad handling Front WD cars out their,and a few are even more dangerous than a Toyota ,the Camry dose have other good points,but in my book not enough ,just wanted to advise on a safety issue.On the other hand ,if you are hell bent on front wheel drive make dam sure it has a good anti lock brake system as well as traction control,and a computer anti skid system to make up for rotten handling due to over weight front end 70% to 30% rear weight distribution.Once more I am not trying to offend you front wheel drive lovers .Just trying to make you re consider its problems . Hope this might help you save your rear end from a spin out ,good luck.and were is Ralph Nader when you needed him . please vote yes or no on this guide or send me money so I can take Ralphs thunder and do a book " Front wheel drives Un safe at a lot of speeds as well as stops " Saab might be the best of the Front wheel drive cars . They have been at it longer then most others . And are some what solid .

(1) (Reply)

2003 Toyota Highlander Check Engine Light Is On / I Nee A Replacement Ecu/brainbox For Rav4 2001 Model / When Is The Last Time You Changed Your Headlights? Learn Some Best Practices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.