Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,327 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:53 AM

ESPN On Mourinho And Mikel: Chelsea's Men For All Seasons - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / ESPN On Mourinho And Mikel: Chelsea's Men For All Seasons (762 Views)

Kelechi Iheanacho Makes ESPN Player Power Ranking. / Eden Hazard And Mikel Training Together,the Fans React [photo] / Stephen Keshi Listed On ESPN FC Most Influential Person In Sport 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ESPN On Mourinho And Mikel: Chelsea's Men For All Seasons by safarigirl(f): 6:01am On Jan 09, 2014
Lythell: Mikel the unlikely FA Cup hero

Whilst questions have regularly been asked of Mourinho's back-line -- where only captain John Terry could be regularly absolved of any blame given Branislav Ivanovich's occasional somnambulant moments, Ashley Cole forgetting for a few games he is still the best left-back in the Premier League and David Luiz... well just being David Luiz -- the shortcomings in the defensive midfield area which has been marshalled variously this season by Frank Lampard, Ramires, Michael Essien, John Obi Mikel (with an effective cameo by Luiz thrown in for good measure) appeared to have been overlooked by the Chelsea manager. A curious state of affairs given the trophy-winning "defence is the best form of attack" ethos upon which Mourinho founded and nurtured his "special" reputation.

Against Arsenal, Mourinho, conscious of the attacking, creative prowess of Mezut Ozil, Aaron Ramsay and Tomas Rosicky, rolled out his favoured 4-2-3-1 formation deploying Ramires, Lampard and Mikel in midfield in a bid to nullify the trio and prevent them lining up Theo Walcott and Oliver Giroud with striking opportunities. The plan worked, the Gunners were stifled and the oft maligned and misunderstood Mikel was the star of the show. "Boring, boring Chelsea," chanted supporters of the north London club to the amusement of their counterparts, who delighted in reminding them how many years it has been since they last won any silverware.

Boxing Day saw another Blues shutout, this time at home to Swansea City. The final score of 1-0 owed more to the profligacy of Samuel Eto'o than any great defensive display since the Swans lacked any kind of ambition going forward. Nevertheless, there was an obdurate solidity about Chelsea's central midfield, and the protection afforded to the backline, that gave a degree of confidence to fans harbouring concerns about their chances of containing free-scoring Luis Suarez when Chelsea welcomed Liverpool to Stamford Bridge three days later.

With Ramires suspended for the visit of the Reds, Mourinho opted to start David Luiz in midfield alongside Lampard with Mikel warming the bench, but when Martin Skrtel gave Brendan Rodgers' side an early lead it seemed that the plan might backfire, however the goal served to spur Chelsea into action. With Eden Hazard in scintillating form, an equaliser was never in doubt and the Belgium international duly obliged in the 17th minute. A Samuel Eto'o strike gave the Blues a 2-1 half-time advantage and after the interval Mikel replaced Lampard and the Blues shut up shop. Liverpool, and Suarez in particular, hustled and harried, but the result was never in doubt. Master tactician Mourinho made the right calls and his players didn't let him down.

New Year's Day, and it was more of the same. With over 50 minutes gone at a rain-swept St.Mary's, Southampton were holding Chelsea 0-0 with the inclement weather the only likely victor -- cue a transformational double substitution from the Blues manager. Critics might argue that it's all too easy for Mourinho having players of proven quality such as Oscar and Willian to bring on as he did in this case to replace fans-favourite Juan Mata and Andre Schurrle, but it takes an element of genius to get the timing and instructions right. In the end it was easy. Willian to Oscar to Torres, 1-0. Oscar to Willian, 2-0. Oscar himself, 3-0 -- game over.

"They gave intensity," mused Mourinho modestly after the dynamic duo had combined to put the Saints to the sword -- and the boys from Brazil were on hand again on Sunday to ensure Chelsea overcame a stubborn Derby County side to progress to the Fourth Round of this season's FA Cup competition. The Blues' 2-0 victory came courtesy of a remarkable and rare goal from Mikel and a wonderful strike from Oscar. Playing his 300th game for Chelsea, Mikel, still only 26 years old, and proudly wearing the captain's armband following the earlier withdrawal of Essien, rose majestically above the Derby defence to head home a Willian free kick. The fact that it was only his fourth goal for the Stamford Bridge club might go some way to explaining why his presence in a Blue shirt is sometimes questioned by the fickle, but the smile on his face as 5,500 travelling supporters chanted, "he scores when he wants" said it all.

Mikel leading by example? Only Mourinho would have the minerals to engineer such a situation. Chelsea may well do some business in this transfer window, a striker who can score regularly would be a welcome addition to the squad. In the event the London club are thwarted in their endeavours to sign a world-class forward this time around, there will no doubt be more lamenting from Mourinho at the spurned chances that will surely be created along the way as the season unfolds. Right now though, game-by-game, the Blues boss appears to have a cunning plan to address the issue and just in case they fail: John Obi Mikel. Chelsea's men for all seasons are doing a good job.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/chelsea/id/2249?cc=5739

2 Likes

Re: ESPN On Mourinho And Mikel: Chelsea's Men For All Seasons by eagleae7(m): 6:28am On Jan 09, 2014
Really
Re: ESPN On Mourinho And Mikel: Chelsea's Men For All Seasons by Nobody: 6:49am On Jan 09, 2014
In MOU voice; 'I recognise his ability to play as an
anchorman, to play that position in a very
comfortable way, with no mistakes. He reads
the game well, plays in an intelligent and safe
way...." That's my main man Mikel...AFOY winner, congrats in advance!

2 Likes

Re: ESPN On Mourinho And Mikel: Chelsea's Men For All Seasons by luvablesam(m): 7:07am On Jan 09, 2014
Let me act like a blues fan for a sec(doh am a red in my veins) and chant along.....

"HE SCORES WHEN HE WANTS"

2 Likes

Re: ESPN On Mourinho And Mikel: Chelsea's Men For All Seasons by Nobody: 7:09am On Jan 09, 2014
He Scores When He Wants grin .am sure his haters will not try to comment

2 Likes

Re: ESPN On Mourinho And Mikel: Chelsea's Men For All Seasons by EzePromoe: 10:16am On Jan 09, 2014
Kudos[i][/i]

1 Like

Re: ESPN On Mourinho And Mikel: Chelsea's Men For All Seasons by thegoodjoehunt(m): 12:43pm On Jan 09, 2014
I am still expecting more from Mikel this season. Mikel has clearly dominated the defensive side of Chelsea, he now needs to express himself more but never throw away what really makes him thick, ie. Hardly making mistakes with the ball.

Ride on Mikel, nothing do you.
Re: ESPN On Mourinho And Mikel: Chelsea's Men For All Seasons by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jan 09, 2014
Mikel=Makelele reincarnated.

With you our back four are safe.
Re: ESPN On Mourinho And Mikel: Chelsea's Men For All Seasons by thegoodjoehunt(m): 2:29pm On Jan 09, 2014
Dominiquez: Mikel=Makelele reincarnated.

With you our back four are safe.
I call him MIKELELE
Re: ESPN On Mourinho And Mikel: Chelsea's Men For All Seasons by Supremor(m): 8:11pm On Jan 09, 2014
All hail the african footballer of the year 2013

1 Like

Re: ESPN On Mourinho And Mikel: Chelsea's Men For All Seasons by striker9(m): 8:41pm On Jan 09, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: I call him MIKELELE
I like that creativity.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Emotional Suarez Statement To Liverpool Fans As He's Leaving.it Touches My Heart / Ancelotti: Di Maria Has Asked To Leave Madrid / OFF THE POST – What Is Wrong With Arsene Wenger And The Fans?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.