Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application (989 Views)

Obasanjo’s Bells University Graduates 21 Students With 1st Class Degrees / Does JAMB 2015/2016 Allow You To Chose Two University? / Afam Nduaguba Made It At Havard University, Graduates As Stellar Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by chimmy2: 6:18am On Jan 09, 2014
I went to obtain my transcript yesterday (08-01-2014) and while I was being tossed from one office to another, a lady excused me. She showed me an application letter to review and comment on before she submit. The letter was an apology to put it mildly. But that is just a small part of the story.

I later learnt that she was assisting her friend to apply for a replacement of her success letter. Apparently, the original success letter was stolen following an armed robbery incident during her NYSC bla bla bla and as such she wanted the school to provide her with a replacement.

As I said earlier, the letter 'under review' was embarrassingly shameful and highly unbecoming of a 'so-called' university graduate. For starters, the entire letter was one continuous sentence - no comma, no fullstop, no paragraph, no structure. She went further to plead with me to assist them. She told me that her friend had written an initial application but the receiving officer (a non-academic staff) rejected it saying the initial letter was below secondary school students' level. They were not even ashamed to tell me that a non-academic staff rejected their letter. I demanded to see the initial letter and it was indeed far more appalling. Therefore, the letter 'under review' was a second attempt following a combined effort of both ladies.

I hesitated to assist but after some soulful pleading, my 'church-mind' got the better of me and I eventually obliged them but not without giving them a piece of my mind. I refraining from printing what I said to them.

But this got me really thinking. Here are TWO graduates, both already through with NYSC and probably in the labour market or already gainfully employed, yet THEIR combined effort could not produce a passable application letter. I mean, shouldn't our educational system have been designed such that there would be a minimum standard that students MUST attain before they are issued with a certification?

Who is to be blamed?
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by nsk1stson: 6:32am On Jan 09, 2014
i blame u for castigating dem b4 d whole world,if u were a politician,press men wil accompany u to motherless babies' home b4 u could give dem a gift.

3 Likes

Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by DankemzI(m): 6:38am On Jan 09, 2014
Corruption is to be blamed when the intelligent students pass Jamb but are not able to scale tru Putme, have you ever wondered why?. When are Fed. Universities have slot you pay bribe of 15ok to be admitted.. I can vividly recall way back then when my school was observing mid term break ma dad took me to his office then Remedial Unit. See University students asking a nursery boy to help em spell words
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by DankemzI(m): 6:43am On Jan 09, 2014
Our mode of admission should be changed, when i was applying for K.N.U.S.T the kind of questions shocked me, small basic ques. E.g 3+6-2. Jamb is useless nowadays people now buy admission
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by chimmy2: 6:50am On Jan 09, 2014
nsk 1st Son:

You clearly do not know the meaning of what you wrote. While it could be argued that the ladies deserve to be castigated even in public but my article did not mention their names or department (information that I have but refrained from divulging). I did not even state the name of the school. I was just using a personal experience to point to a serious rot in our educational system. I still doubt if you will understand.

1 Like

Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by chiwuike20: 6:53am On Jan 09, 2014
nsk 1st son: i blame u for castigating dem b4 d whole world,if u were a politician,press men wil accompany u to motherless babies' home b4 u could give dem a gift.
He didn't reveal their names online, only d problem. So what's ur problem?
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by nsk1stson: 6:57am On Jan 09, 2014
chimmy_2: nsk 1st Son:

You clearly do not know the meaning of what you wrote. While it could be argued that the ladies deserve to be castigated even in public but my article did not mention their names or department (information that I have but refrained from divulging). I did not even state the name of the school. I was just using a personal experience to point to a serious rot in our educational system. I still doubt if you will understand.
i understood ur post
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by nsk1stson: 7:00am On Jan 09, 2014
chiwuike20:
He didn't reveal their names online, only d problem. So what's ur problem?
Chinwe enwerom any problem,its my opinion dat i wrote
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by Project400: 7:03am On Jan 09, 2014
If they both graduated with 3rd class results, Pass, or issued certificates of attendance, then we might understand. But if the reverse is the case, then I think you have a point.

The university has been designed with a grading system such that students are graded based on their performance.

A student with a 1.5 CGPA may likely not write to your expectation.
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by chimmy2: 7:18am On Jan 09, 2014
Project400: If they both graduated with 3rd class results, Pass, or issued certificates of attendance, then we might understand. But if the reverse is the case, then I think you have a point.

The university has been designed with a grading system such that students are graded based on their performance.

A student with a 1.5 CGPA may likely not write to your expectation.

Guy, a graduate with a pass class might not be able to solve 'differential equation' or do an analysis of 'Marx class struggle' but should be able to write an application letter. The point I'm making is that to obtain a tertiary school certification, you should be made (forced, if need be) to attain a minimum standard of enlightenment. Otherwise, you should just be asked to leave or given an 'acknowledge of attempt' if there is such a thing.
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by chimmy2: 7:22am On Jan 09, 2014
nsk 1st son: i understood ur post

You probably did but you clearly did not understand the import of your own comment. And as you can see, that view is also shared by another users.
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by Project400: 7:26am On Jan 09, 2014
chimmy_2:

Guy, a graduate with a pass class might not be able to solve 'differential equation' or do an analysis of 'Marx class struggle' but should be able to write an application letter. The point I'm making is that to obtain a tertiary school certification, you should be made (forced, if need be) to attain a minimum standard of enlightenment. Otherwise, you should just be asked to leave or given an 'acknowledge of attempt' if there is such a thing.

Sir, the best place to deliver this message is a Primary/Secondary School.

A University lecturer is not responsible for the secondary school syllabus.
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by alotofgrace(m): 7:38am On Jan 09, 2014
students are lazy...lecturers as well...they com tu class with 1988 notes to dictate... ASUU is a buznes enterprise... n fg is stingy...n u.....I dnt knw wot to say
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by adamic: 7:40am On Jan 09, 2014
It's very funny..... I couldnt knw how to xpress my feeling............i wonna ask a question and it goes thus- Which school did they graduated form?
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by abdulaz: 1:27pm On Jan 09, 2014
half-baked.
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by fabby26(m): 2:49pm On Jan 09, 2014
adamic: It's very funny..... I couldnt knw how to xpress my feeling............i wonna ask a question and it goes thus- Which school did they graduated form?

Are you for real?
"GRADUATED or GRADUATE" grin
"FROM or FORM" grin
COULDN'T KNOW or DON'T KNOW grin

And after you blame it on typographical error or predictive text format. Please try to edit before posting or otherwise that's the much of grammatical blunder you can make
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by lymelyte(m): 3:33pm On Jan 09, 2014
@op, what u experienced was just the tip of the iceberg. I have met a lot who could not tell the difference between a formal and an informal letter. It is a pity..
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by okeke2: 3:45pm On Jan 09, 2014
U call.urself a graduate and u cannot get pictures of the two graduates and post it online :-P
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by chiwuike20: 4:20pm On Jan 09, 2014
nsk 1st son: Chinwe enwerom any problem,its my opinion dat i wrote
I'm sorry I sounded rude to u
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by Phemmy99(m): 4:49pm On Jan 09, 2014
fabby26:

Are you for real?
"FROM or FORM" grin

And after you blame it on typographical error or predictive text format. Please try to edict before posting or otherwise that's the much of grammatical blunder you can make
'edict' or 'edit',i guess that's a typographical error grin
fabby26:

Are you for real?
"FROM or FORM" grin

And after you blame it on typographical error or predictive text format. Please try to edict before posting or otherwise that's the much of grammatical blunder you can make
'edict' or 'edit',i guess that's a typographical error grin
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by Phemmy99(m): 4:55pm On Jan 09, 2014
The problem of graduates not being able to write an application letter isn't the fault of the tertiary institutions,the problem is from the foundation i.e primary and secondary education,you don't expect an engineering lecturer to start teaching you english...
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by marvelU(f): 5:42pm On Jan 09, 2014
I feel so sad when I see some of our graduates finding it hard to defend there certificate. they should go back to primary school..
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by okeke2: 5:46pm On Jan 09, 2014
marvelU: I feel so sad when I see some of our graduates finding it hard to defend there certificate. they should go back to primary school..
Harsh ma
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by fabby26(m): 6:03pm On Jan 09, 2014
Phemmy99: 'edict' or 'edit',i guess that's a typographical error grin 'edict' or 'edit',i guess that's a typographical error grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Ok,I guess you got me on that one
CONGRATULATIONS, boy
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by nsk1stson: 7:52pm On Jan 09, 2014
d cause of all dis probs are src skul teachers,eg can u imagine dat wen i wz in ss3,our english teacher wz teaching us wit igbo lang,it wz wen i wz preparing 4 jamb dat som1 sojested a-z english txt book to me,d litle i can do nw z wat i read,so d ladies shuld b fully blamed.
Re: Two UNIVERSITY GRADUATES (post-nysc) Could NOT Write An Application by nsk1stson: 7:55pm On Jan 09, 2014
d cause of all dis probs are sec skul teachers,eg can u imagine dat wen i wz in ss3,our english teacher wz teaching us wit igbo lang,it wz wen i wz preparing 4 jamb dat som1 sojested a-z english txt book to me,d litle i can do nw z wat i read,so d ladies shuld b fully blamed.

(1) (Reply)

2013 / 2014 Shell SPDC Joint Venture University Scholarship Award Scheme / Lol. See How This Indian Boy Was Caught Cheating In An Exam. / LAUTECH Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, Osun State. 2015/2016 INTERNSHIP APPLICATION

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.