Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,061 members, 7,818,179 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:32 AM

Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? (16162 Views)

Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? / Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? / Why Do Muslims Hate Christians So Much, Could This Be The Anti-christ Coming? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by AloyEmeka9: 9:08am On Aug 11, 2008
Allah Akhbar,
Do muslims speak in tongues? If yes, is it also by the same power of holy spirit christians get theirs or do you enact power somehow from muhammadu to speak it?
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by Lady2(f): 10:27am On Aug 11, 2008
What kind of nonsense is this?

Please go and learn about their religion and don't ask silly questions. Thanks.
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by Mustay(m): 11:27am On Aug 11, 2008
Muslims do not speak in tongues.

They speak Arabic language

1 Like

Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by DeepZone: 6:01pm On Aug 11, 2008

what is silly about the question? It's either you answer him/her or you decline to do so? Why call him silly because he asked a good question? people for nairaland sha.

@Mustay, if you guys dont speak in tongues, how do you communicate with God without satan listening?
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by Mustay(m): 6:13pm On Aug 11, 2008
Ninety percent of the world's Muslims do not speak Arabic as their native language. Yet in daily prayers, when reading the Qur'an, or even in simple conversations with each other, Arabic rolls off any Muslim's tongue readily. It may be broken or heavily accented, but most Muslims make the attempt to speak and understand at least some Arabic.

Why is Arabic so important to understanding the faith of Islam?

Regardless of their linguistic, cultural, and racial differences, Muslims form one community of believers. This community is based on their shared faith in One Almighty God, and the guidance He has sent down to mankind. His final revelation to mankind, the Qur'an, was sent over 1400 years ago in the Arabic language.

The original Arabic text of the Qur'an has been preserved from the time of its revelation. Translations have been done into various languages, but they all refer back to the original Arabic. In order to fully understand the magnificent words of their Lord, Muslims make every attempt to understand the rich and poetic classical Arabic language. Since understanding Arabic is so important, most Muslims try to learn at least the basics. Many pursue further study to understand the full text of the Qur'an in its original. So how does one go about learning Arabic?

Arabic is written from right to left in its own unique script, and may seem complicated. However, Arabic has a simple alphabet that, once learned, is very accurate in conveying the correct pronunciation of each word. It is possible to learn it. The resources you find here can help you get started. Visit the links to the right to find online courses, books, and software!
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by Lady2(f): 6:50pm On Aug 11, 2008
what is silly about the question? It's either you answer him/her or you decline to do so? Why call him silly because he asked a good question? people for nairaland sha.

Get some logic please. Understand their religion. You don't like it, too bad, respect it.
Tongues are only given as gifts at the prompting of the Holy Spirit, they don't eve believe in the Holy Spirit.

@Mustay, if you guys don't speak in tongues, how do you communicate with God without satan listening?

Not all Christians speak in tongues, are you insinuating that when Christians pray the devil is listening in on the conversation?
By the way gibberish is not speaking in tongues, shamamamamamananananamamama, jubbiiititieirieiei, is not tongues. Anyone can speak gibberish and try to pass it of as tongues.
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by javalove(m): 7:05pm On Aug 11, 2008
Mustay:

Ninety percent of the world's Muslims do not speak Arabic as their native language. Yet in daily prayers, when reading the Qur'an, or even in simple conversations with each other, Arabic rolls off any Muslim's tongue readily. It may be broken or heavily accented, but most Muslims make the attempt to speak and understand at least some Arabic.

Regardless of their linguistic, cultural, and racial differences, Muslims form one community of believers. This community is based on their shared faith in One Almighty God, and the guidance He has sent down to mankind. His final revelation to mankind, the Qur'an, was sent over 1400 years ago in the Arabic language.

The original Arabic text of the Qur'an has been preserved from the time of its revelation. Translations have been done into various languages, but they all refer back to the original Arabic. In order to fully understand the magnificent words of their Lord, Muslims make every attempt to understand the rich and poetic classical Arabic language. Since understanding Arabic is so important, most Muslims try to learn at least the basics. Many pursue further study to understand the full text of the Qur'an in its original. So how does one go about learning Arabic?

Arabic is written from right to left in its own unique script, and may seem complicated. However, Arabic has a simple alphabet that, once learned, is very accurate in conveying the correct pronunciation of each word. It is possible to learn it. The resources you find here can help you get started. Visit the links to the right to find online courses, books, and software!

May Allah increase you in knowledge. Most times, I always wish i had your knowledge grin
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by samba123(m): 7:10pm On Aug 11, 2008
~Lady~:

Lady you're jugmental to other try  freedom of speak ? did somebody post warning in this thread to be specify in their Question? feeling arrogant lol
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by DeepZone: 7:33pm On Aug 11, 2008
Not all Christians speak in tongues, are you insinuating that when Christians pray the devil is listening in on the conversation?
Yep; That's the main essence of speaking in tongues so that the devil cannot[b] hack[/b] into your prayers and hinder it. Tongues makes him real mad because he stands dazed and understands nada.

By the way gibberish is not speaking in tongues, shamamamamamananananamamama, jubbiiititieirieiei, is not tongues. Anyone can speak gibberish and try to pass it of as tongues.
Why should someone be wasting his time speaking gibberish? It's not as if they'll pay you some money for doing it. Common, you talked about logic, why should someone be saying gibberish to him/herself in the name of tongues when God cannot be fooled? I understand if you don't believe in tongues but that's okay because it's usually hard to believe till the holy ghost descends on you one day and you'll see it happen to you.
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by DeepZone: 7:35pm On Aug 11, 2008

Speaking Arabic is not the same as speaking in tongues. It's like roman catholics singing in latin but the gift of tongues is a total different thing and is a heavenly language that is not spoken or understood anywhere in the physical realm. Christ in you, the hope of glory.
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by javalove(m): 8:25pm On Aug 11, 2008
So that the devil cannot understand? I laugh!!!!!!!!!

If he understands, what can he do? You xtians give the devil some powers he doesnt have. He cant do nada even if he understands!!!!!!!! We are talking God here not man

1 Like

Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by DeepZone: 8:39pm On Aug 11, 2008
So that the devil cannot understand? I laugh!!!!!!!!!

If he understands, what can he do? You xtians give the devil some powers he doesnt have. He can't do nada even if he understands!!!!!!!! We are talking God here not man
You do not have an idea of how many of your prayers the devil can hinder. My brother, it wouldn't cost you a thing to believe in Jesus Christ. Why do you wanna risk not believing and end up in hell fire?
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by javalove(m): 8:53pm On Aug 11, 2008
ROTLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The decil cant do nada to my prayers. Devil doesnt hinder prayers oooo dont be decieved. All the speaking in tongues thing na buulshit without basis. The only things that hinder prayers are behaviours, attitudes that do not comform to how God wants us to live. Lying, stealing, and all those hinder prayers not the devil. There also 2 enimies of men.

First is the devil, second is our wish, cos d devil is not responsible for all the actions of man

Dont u know the Jesus u are talking about would also answer questions on judgement day?
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by Queenisha: 8:55pm On Aug 11, 2008
javalove:

ROTLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The decil can't do nada to my prayers. Devil doesnt hinder prayers oooo don't be decieved. All the speaking in tongues thing na buulshit without basis. The only things that hinder prayers are behaviours, attitudes that do not comform to how God wants us to live. Lying, stealing, and all those hinder prayers not the devil. There also 2 enimies of men.

First is the devil, second is our wish, because d devil is not responsible for all the actions of man

Dont u know the Jesus u are talking about would also answer questions on judgement day?

when he is the judge himself? shocked shocked shocked
sorry
I'm sure you were referring to the mohammedanic Jesus
since it's obvious your Jesus is not the same as mine. cool
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by Queenisha: 9:02pm On Aug 11, 2008
Aloy.Emeka:

Allah Akhbar,
Do muslims speak in tongues? If yes, is it also by the same power of holy spirit christians get theirs or do you enact power somehow from muhammadu to speak it?

You should first ask if they have assurance of eternal life when Mohanmmadu himself was unsure what allah would do to him at his demise what more lesser subjects like the ones on this forum lipsrsealed
na today 419 start?
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by Jarus(m): 9:07pm On Aug 11, 2008
Queenisha:

when he is the judge himself? shocked shocked shocked
sorry

Jesus will be the judge? Then what will God the 'father' be?

The problem I always have with Christians is raising Jesus above God. Everytime, what you hear is Jesus.'I reject it in Jesus name', why not 'I reject it in God's name'. Anything they say 'Jesus'. Where then is the place of God? Second fiddle,abi? Too bad!!!
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by rampant(f): 10:26pm On Aug 11, 2008
dis is becoming interesting

@poster

u asked a good question

@lady
cool down,d question is a good one smiley smiley
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by rampant(f): 10:29pm On Aug 11, 2008
i agree wt u deepzone,speaking in tongues is one language d devil cant decode,it drives him mad like hell
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by Nobody: 3:00am On Aug 12, 2008
rampant:

i agree wt u deepzone,speaking in tongues is one language d devil can't decode,it drives him mad like hell

This subtle unbiblical stuff is not supported by the bible. 1 Corinthians 14 clearly describes the place of speaking in tongues among the body of Christ. It is meant as a sign to unbelievers, to speak mysteries unto God, to (with interpretation) and to edify the brethren.

Verses 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. 28 But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God.
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by Nobody: 3:01am On Aug 12, 2008
ife-eco-06:

Jesus will be the judge? Then what will God the 'father' be?

The problem I always have with Christians is raising Jesus above God. Everytime, what you hear is Jesus.'I reject it in Jesus name', why not 'I reject it in God's name'. Anything they say 'Jesus'. Where then is the place of God? Second fiddle,abi? Too bad!!!

that is the basic problem islam has with christianity. Making Jesus Christ equal with God is an automatic invalidation of the entire empire of islam.
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by Queenisha: 3:12am On Aug 12, 2008
davidylan:

that is the basic problem islam has with christianity. Making Jesus Christ equal with God is an automatic invalidation of the entire empire of islam.

lol
na today?
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by DeepZone: 4:17am On Aug 12, 2008

Not the Jesus i know, may be you are talking about Isa.
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by DeepZone: 4:19am On Aug 12, 2008
This subtle unbiblical stuff is not supported by the bible. 1 Corinthians 14 clearly describes the place of speaking in tongues among the body of Christ. It is meant as a sign to unbelievers, to speak mysteries unto God, to (with interpretation) and[b] to edify the brethren.[/b]

Verses 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. 28 But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God.

Edify? Is heavenly edification biblical?
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by Mustay(m): 10:20am On Aug 12, 2008
The revelation of the Qur'an in Arabic set the scene for a unique and lasting relationship between the language and Islam. On the one hand, Arabic provided a very effective medium for communicating the message of the religion. On the other hand, Islam helped Arabic to acquire the universal status which it has continued to enjoy since the Middle Ages, emerging as one of the principal world languages.

It has been argued that Arabic has not simply remained 'ancilliary to Islam' but that it has also been significant as a means of 'cultural and national revival in the Arabic-speaking countries.' Arabic is a rich and expressive language and has played an important role in the cultural preservation of the Arabic-speaking people. However, without the bond it has had with Islam, Arabic would probably not have undergone the internal revolution it did, nor expanded beyond the borders of the Arabian Peninsula with such speed and magnitude.

The relationship of Islam and the Qur'an to Arabic involves more than just the use of a language to communicate a divine message. There are a number of factors which set this relationship apart from that which exists between other holy books and the languages in which they appeared, for Arabic has come to be closely associated with Islam, and in this way has acquired a semi-official status. [b]It is implicit that anyone professing Islam cannot ignore the role Arabic plays in his faith. [/b]Embracing Islam, therefore, entails exposure to, and familiarity with, the Arabic language. Such familiarity is necessitated by the fact that memorization and recitation of Qur'anic verses in their original language is necessary for the performance of the daily rituals. Other holy books may have had an impact on the languages in which they originally appeared, but the impact that Islam and the Qur'an have had on Arabic appears to be unique in its extent and durability. It has often been the case that a holy book appears in a given language and is then translated into other languages, in which it continues to be read and recited during the performance of rituals, but, in the case of the Qur'an, although it has been translated into many languages, these translations cannot replace the original language as a language of worship, which continues to be Arabic for all Muslims, native speakers and others.

Other holy books also came to be associated with specific languages, such as the Torah with Hebrew, and, perhaps less intimately, the New Testament with Greek and Latin. However, the nature of the relationship between the Qur'an and Arabic is still unique for reasons to be given below.

http://www.al-islam.org/al-serat/Arabic.htm
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by PastorAIO: 11:03am On Aug 12, 2008
The kind of tongues that some christians speak, I doubt that even God will understand what they're saying, not just the devil. It is rubbish that the purpose of tongues is to speak without the devil understanding. That is utter nonsense. Besides Tongues can be interpreted.
But my concern is that in all these churches that speak tongues profusely, they all speak the tongue of angels but I've yet to see the tongues of men being spoken. I haven't been to any church where anybody in the spirit just spontaneously breaks out in Cantonese or in Urdu. You would think that tongues of men would be easier to access than tongues of angels.
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by Jarus(m): 11:57am On Aug 12, 2008
davidylan:

For the first time, I have to agree with Davidylan. Deification of Jesus,as well as God-sonship attribution, is the basic problem Islam has with Christianity. Any Muslim that believes in those two has his Islam invalidated. Similarly,any Muslim that doesn't believe in JESUS(as a Prophet of course) equally has his Islam nullified.
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by Mustay(m): 1:47pm On Aug 12, 2008
davidylan:

This is the greatest sin in Islam - associating another 'god' with Allah
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Aug 12, 2008
Mustay:

This is the greatest sin in Islam - associating another 'god' with Allah

The reason is simple, as long as Jesus Christ is God it is an automatic indication that mohammad was a false prophet and allah indeed is nothing but a false god.

ife-eco-06:

For the first time, I have to agree with Davidylan. Deification of Jesus,as well as God-sonship attribution, is the basic problem Islam has with Christianity. Any Muslim that believes in those two has his Islam invalidated. Similarly,any Muslim that doesn't believe in JESUS(as a Prophet of course) equally has his Islam nullified.

muslims like to play the hypocrisy card. On one hand they DESPERATELY need the bible as cover for their religion hence their struggle to claim to "believe in Jesus as a prophet", on the other hand it is imperative that they do not recognise Jesus Christ as who He truly is - GOD . . . for the reasons noted earlier.
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by zayhal(f): 6:31pm On Aug 12, 2008
Muslims do not and need not the bible to explain anything. The Quran is perfect. There are no crookedness therein and it's complete. A direct opposite of the bible.
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Aug 12, 2008
zayhal:

Muslims do not and need not the bible to explain anything. The Quran is perfect. There are no crookedness therein and it's complete. A direct opposite of the bible.

Empty words. Why is it then that a muslim will post an entire page filled with bible passages seeking to prove the quran is perfect?
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by zayhal(f): 6:46pm On Aug 12, 2008
Empty words. Why is it then that a muslim will post an entire page filled with bible passages seeking to prove the quran is perfect
Muslims believe in all books revealed before the Quran- Torah, Injeel etc, that is, the uncorrupted forms. However, there's hardly any Bible today that has not witnessed corruption.
A Muslim can quote the bible for a number of reasons but never to prove the perfection of the Glorious Quran which is completely perfect anyway.
Re: Do Muslims Speak In Tongues? by samba123(m): 6:56pm On Aug 12, 2008
davidylan:

The reason is simple, as long as Jesus Christ is God it is an automatic indication that mohammad was a false prophet and allah indeed is nothing but a false god.

muslims like to play the hypocrisy card. On one hand they DESPERATELY need the bible as cover for their religion hence their struggle to claim to "believe in Jesus as a prophet", on the other hand it is imperative that they do not recognise Jesus Christ as who He truly is - GOD . . . for the reasons noted earlier.

That is deceitful you take credit to your false little god Jesus read what the Quran says;

O people of the Scripture! Do not exaggerate in your religion nor utter aught concerning Allah save the truth. The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary , was only a messenger of Allah, and His word which He conveyed unto Mary, and a spirit form Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers, and say not “THREE” ! It is better for you ! Allah is Only ONE GOD. far is it removed for His transcendent majesty that he should have a son. His is all that is in the Heavens and all that is in the Earth. And Allah is sufficient as Defender. Chapter 4 Al Nisa verse 171

How could you explain this? Are we deaf, dump to this passage written in your book?

Matthew 27.46
And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, "Eli (ilah), Eli, (,ilah) la'ma sabach-tha'ni?" that is, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

Mark 12:29 Jesus answered, 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is ONE;

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bible-burning Egyptian Cleric Jailed For 11 Years / Lessons Learnt from the Hadith Of The Lost Necklace / Understanding The Verse Of "Beating One's Wife"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.