Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,602 members, 7,955,221 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:49 PM

Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake (7133 Views)

... Was Sacked For Not Dancing To 'shake Body'... Now An Employer Of Labour / What Does It Mean If Your Employer Is Advertising For Your Position / My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by Drusilla(f): 11:43am On Jun 22, 2006
If You Mistakenly Got Paid By Your Employer Twice

This thread was motivated by a recent message I got.

Just thought I'd share this with you , I got paid twice by my employer , a sum of £436+ times 2 , Even though I needed money badly, I rang my employer and told him about the payment error, he asked me to please rip the cheque , It was hard to report this error and rip a cheque of such a huge sum of money but I am glad I did what God would have wanted me to do, and ma employer would never forget me for this honest move I made , morale of the story: HONESTY IS THE BEST POLICY , No matter what condition you are, please always try to be honest. Thanx for reading, just sharing ma today's experience with you. Engineer Bola

Would you be this honest? I think I would be, I would be scared that it was coming back later on me.
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by jgirl3: 12:10pm On Jun 22, 2006
I think I would have done the same but as i am ripping that check, something else in me will rip. But the law of Karma will not let me keep it anyway
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by mukina2: 12:21pm On Jun 22, 2006
i wont return it grin grin just kiddin i will return it
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by LuciferFan(m): 8:31pm On Jun 24, 2006
I will keep it because it's mine! If it wasn't what was it doing in my account? I take it as compensation for being overworked. I know that a lot of people will lie. Humans are usually liars.
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by dominobaby(f): 9:55am On Jun 29, 2006
Hmmm, really, my mind would not be at rest if i do not repay that money, seriously.
Who knows, it just might be a test or sumfn.
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by Shinor(m): 1:07pm On Jun 30, 2006
I will borrow it, that is use it and plan to repay it later, grin grin grin grin
Must commend your courage. Thanks for giving my generation hope that there are still a few good people out there.
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by kelvin(m): 4:06pm On Jul 01, 2006
Of course I will definitely give it back, besides, my employer would find out some way or the other when balancing accounts.
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jul 01, 2006
Now its depends on who my Boss is, if he's the type that gets on ur nerve and behaving like an a$$, mean na my account that money go enter, then i knw that when Karma catches up wit me, i sort my scores out; but if he's the good Boss and worker type, immediately its goin' back to him, it should even spend up to 10mins with me.

[move] God help us [/move]
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by tianshie(m): 6:13pm On Jul 01, 2006
emmeno:

Now its depends on who my Boss is, if he's the type that gets on your nerve and behaving like an a$$, mean na my account that money go enter, then i knw that when Karma catches up wit me, i sort my scores out; but if he's the good Boss and worker type, immediately its goin' back to him, it should even spend up to 10mins with me.

[move] God help us [/move]
I'm with you on that one!
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by omogenaija(f): 7:37pm On Jul 01, 2006
i would have cashed it, but this story has inspired me so next time i will think twice
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by babadee(m): 6:26pm On Jul 02, 2006
i'll probably keep the loot and claim ignorance and say i was expecting some money when confronted with evidence!
sinmple!!!
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by omogenikky(f): 9:45am On Jul 03, 2006
Why be honest?
FAR BETTER TO BE RIGHT AND POOR THAN TO BE WRONG AND RICH. PROVERBS 16:8

After a week of special meetings, the guest preacher approached the airline desk to purchase a flight for home. Ticket in hand, he took a seat in the waiting area. Checking his credit card receipt, he realized the attendant had undercharged him almost fifty percent. 'It's wonderful how God provides,' he rationalized. The church hadn't paid him too well and the bills were piling up at home. For the next half hour he wrestled with himself, although, deep down he knew what he had to do. Finally he returned to the desk and said to the attendant, 'I think you made a mistake.' 'No,' she replied, 'you see, I was in church last night when you spoke on honesty, and I thought I'd put you to the test.'

Why be honest? Because people are watching. Your actions and attitudes, in even the smallest of details, are forming the opinions of people around you. There's a golden moment in the life of Samuel the prophet. It's his retirement. Standing before the nation he'd led for 40 years, he asks, ', Have I ever taken advantage of you or exploited you? Have I ever taken a bribe or played fast and loose with the law? Bring your complaint and I'll make it right. 'Oh no,' they said, 'never have you done any of that, ' (1 Samuel 12:3 TM). When those who've known you best for 4 decades can say that about you, you did it right. And that's as good as it gets!

1 Like

Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by diyobdw(f): 5:25pm On Jul 04, 2006
It might sound silly But i will say it an opportunity to polish your Rep. as a good person!
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by kiwibabe(f): 11:27pm On Nov 05, 2006
The same kind of situation happened to me, and I am very greatful it did, I never returned the money, I kept silent, until I received my next pay to see if they had realised the mistake but to my surprise they did not. I thank my lucky stars cos I would never have been able to pay them back because as soon as money hits my a/c it dissappears without a trace with the various bills I have to pay.
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by MyPeace(f): 9:43am On Nov 09, 2006
@kiwibabe

Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by promise72(m): 2:12am On Jun 09, 2007
@ TOPIC,

Funny enough, it has happend 2 me b4. Of course i kept the $$$$. wink Lor behold, the found out and took it out of the next payroll. I was broke sad

This was several years ago (i thinh 1995). I believe in the lord now grin
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by teena(f): 4:45pm On Jun 12, 2007
It's good you returned it, because it cd hv bn a test smiley

It pays to be honest.
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by Ollie39: 9:28pm On Jun 15, 2007
Same thing happened to me years ago. I didn't usually check my bank statement regularly. My pay was usually credited by BACS on the last working day of the month and as I had a healthy overdraft I was spending normally with a debit card. When I discovered this 3 momths later I informed my employer who let me keep the money anyway as it was their fault. (rich company). Boy, did I think that Christmas had come early?  grin grin grin It was a large amount of money!!  cool
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by paschy: 11:59am On Jun 21, 2007
thank god you wre honest enough to do so.just know that honesty pays a lot eventhough it niht not come now but later, you will surely reap it.
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by getdayo(m): 1:17pm On Jun 21, 2007
I would have given it back too, it pays better to live an honest life, the reward is eternal.
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by MP007(m): 4:47am On Jun 24, 2007
u ass will be sorry when u want to file ur tax returns , u better return the damm cash ,
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by uchetobi(f): 9:16am On Jun 27, 2007
It has happened to me before
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by angel101(f): 9:58am On Jun 27, 2007
uchetobi:

It has happened to me before

and what did u do?

the trend of this thread shows that those based in Nigeria support honesty more than those in the western world. And as it pays to be honest i will tell u honestly if it happened to me, i will keep the money. seriously
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by tboy1(m): 11:18am On Jun 27, 2007
This happened to me when i was in uni. i was working part time @ some telesales company and this was during christmas. The company made the biggest mistake of paying me more than double of my monthly pay(i think about 1150.00 pounds and i was just 19 yrs old then ) first thing i did was to check the mini-state ment to make sure its was really from work. Then i convinced myself it was probably xmas bonus(even though i knew there was no bonus for part-timers). To be honest i called in sick that day and me and my younger bro went to west end , bought stuffs for my peeps and i had a cool xmas. About a month later just before i wanted to take time off work to study for my exams my team leader and some lady from acc called me to have a meeting. They told me they overpaid me and they asked if i could return the money - i told them i had spent the money as i though it was xmas and they gave me xmas bonus. At the end of the meeting they both told me that they would remove 45% of my monthly pay until the payment was complete and i just just laughed and agreed with them. That was the last time those two ladies saw me(i actually left the company during lunch),

The same thing happened about 2 yrs later with another company , but i decided to wait till lunch time before i play with the money(but to my surprise the company had noticed and i only saw they had deducted the money they overpayed me)
It was funny because i was so angry at myself that i felt they had taken my own money,
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by teddyface(m): 12:17pm On Jun 27, 2007
@TBOY1

you are funny o, i've been LMFAO. well it is always good to do the right thing and we all know what it is, the money is not yours so its best to give it back.
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by JennyMan(m): 12:47pm On Jun 27, 2007
@ babadee
i'll probably keep the loot and claim ignorance and say i was expecting some money when confronted with evidence!
sinmple!!!

Can't you see that you're multiplying sins (keep the loot, claim ignorance and say you were expecting some money , )? Abaa? Let's fear God and keep His commandments.

Drusilla had made a nice and thoughtful post. Honesty pays a lot my people. You can't tell when the reward will come to boost your status if you practice it, and neither can you tell when the retribution will come to bite you and spell a regretable doom on you.

Righteousness exalts a nation, and sin is a reproach to any people (Proverbs 14:34). Let the righteousness (HONESTY) start at our little corners.
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by ST3V3(m): 11:12pm On Oct 04, 2007
Mine was a bit different, friday morning i checked my account, i was payed twice my wages,taught it was a mistake. i went straight to Asda, bought things i didnt need, took cash out and even took cash back when i exceded my daily withdrawal limit. Saturday morning, i got my payslip, then i rememberd i filled a p45 some 3wks earlier, However it was actually my overpaid tax that was refunded. And i blew it! my hard earned money!

PLEASE DONT BE TOO SMART!
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by slimes(m): 8:17pm On Dec 10, 2009
It just might be a great temptation.
Re: Your Employer Pays You Twice By Mistake by snokky(m): 6:39pm On Dec 11, 2009
this is a dead thread but still this particular post catch up with me there, its really hillarious reading this.
tboy1:

This happened to me when i was in uni. i was working part time @ some telesales company and this was during christmas. The company made the biggest mistake of paying me more than double of my monthly pay(i think about 1150.00 pounds and i was just 19 yrs old then ) first thing i did was to check the mini-state ment to make sure its was really from work. Then i convinced myself it was probably xmas bonus(even though i knew there was no bonus for part-timers). To be honest i called in sick that day and me and my younger bro went to west end , bought stuffs for my peeps and i had a cool xmas. About a month later just before i wanted to take time off work to study for my exams my team leader and some lady from acc called me to have a meeting. They told me they overpaid me and they asked if i could return the money - i told them i had spent the money as i though it was xmas and they gave me xmas bonus. At the end of the meeting they both told me that they would remove 45% of my monthly pay until the payment was complete and i just just laughed and agreed with them. That was the last time those two ladies saw me[b](i actually left the company during lunch), [/b]

The same thing happened about 2 yrs later with another company , but i decided to wait till lunch time before i play with the money(but to my surprise the company had noticed and i only saw they had deducted the money they overpayed me)
It was funny because i was so angry at myself that i felt they had taken my own money,

wao, see, u at least shuld have wait n finish that day's job nah,
really funny,

But seriously, dont do that nxt time or i break your, hahaha, lol,

naija pple,

(1) (Reply)

Share Your Interview Experience In The Comments / Great News... U Can Now Register For COREN Without NSE... / Career Tips For Women: How To Succeed In A Workplace Dominated By Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.