Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,062 members, 7,956,961 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 12:22 AM

Ronaldo Beats World Cup Scoring Record - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ronaldo Beats World Cup Scoring Record (1576 Views)

Ronaldo Beats Messi Again / Messi breaks Laliga Goal Scoring Record / Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ronaldo Beats World Cup Scoring Record by kinglarry(m): 10:56am On Jun 23, 2006
Ronaldo equals beats scoring record <<updated by mod>>

Brazil striker Ronaldo has joined Gerd Muller as the joint-leading goalscorer in FIFA World Cup finals history. The 29-year-old struck twice in his team's 4-1 victory over Japan to take his tally to 14, equalling the total that German legend Muller achieved during the 1970 and 1974 tournaments.
Ronaldo, the adidas Golden Shoe winner at Korea/Japan 2002, went into the match in Dortmund level with compatriot Pele on 12 goals. His first goal of the night, a header just before the interval, brought him level with Frenchman Just Fontaine, who scored 13 goals in the 1958 finals. Ronaldo then hit a stunning effort on 81 minutes to draw level with Muller.

Reflecting on his achievement after the match, Ronaldo said: "I'm happy to equalled the record. Scoring goals is always something I try to do on the field. It's a thrilling achievement for me and a very happy day. I hope that it's not the end of my scoring at this World Cup."

This is Ronaldo's fourth FIFA World Cup. Although a member of his country's victorious squad at USA 94, the then 17-year-old did not see any playing time as Brazil won their fourth title. Four years later, at France 98, he was the Seleção's four-goal leading marksman as they reached the Final, before finding the target eight times during the 2002 competition.

Ronaldo will have the chance to break Muller's long-standing record when Brazil meet Ghana in the Round of 16 in Dortmund on 27 June. 

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-06/23/content_4736742.htm

Re: Ronaldo Beats World Cup Scoring Record by GUNNER(f): 11:04am On Jun 23, 2006
Fine achievement by Ronaldo

"El Phenomenon" is back!
Re: Ronaldo Beats World Cup Scoring Record by Badman888(m): 11:11am On Jun 23, 2006
yea, Ronaldo is always critisized but ends up bouncing back. just like World cup 2002 people said it was over but scored 8 goals and now people said he was fat he bounced back. Twale for Ronaldo and i guess he can score 3 or more goals in the remainder of the competition.
Re: Ronaldo Beats World Cup Scoring Record by amodu(m): 3:36pm On Jun 23, 2006
i am among those that said he cant perform but i can see now he is still having the potentials.

so cudos to him and many gbosas

up Ronaldo
Re: Ronaldo Beats World Cup Scoring Record by etete(m): 6:23pm On Jun 23, 2006
now lets c what his fake critics will hav 2 say bout this feat. he is a God
Re: Ronaldo Beats World Cup Scoring Record by ThisDumebi: 6:26pm On Jun 23, 2006
Records are made to be broken!
Re: Ronaldo Beats World Cup Scoring Record by AngelaZ(f): 7:07pm On Jun 23, 2006
It amuses me the way the Brazilians play skillfully with lots of passion, the players make scoring look so easy.
My son must go to Brazil to learn football grin
Re: Ronaldo Beats World Cup Scoring Record by AngelaZ(f): 7:13pm On Jun 23, 2006
Know something interesting about FIFA World Cup
Brazil won the world cup in 1994. Before that, he had won this title for the last time in 1970.
If you add up: 1970 + 1994 = 3964
Argentina won the world cup for the last time in 1986. Before that only in 1978.
And 1978 + 1986 = 3964
Germany , though, won the world cup in 1990. Before that, Germany won in 1974.
Look: 1990 + 1974 = 3964
This could lead us to guess the winner of the World Cup in 2002, since it should be the winner
of the 1962 World Cup (In fact 3964 - 2002 = 1962).
And Brazil won the world cup in 1962! (And, in fact, Brazil won the 2002 WC)
This numerology seems to work,
And now, who would be the winner of the 2006 world cup?
Let's see, 3964 - 2006 = 1958
And who won in 1958?,
Oh, Brazil did!!!
Lets see then, if this proves to be Right.

Tubosun
Re: Ronaldo Beats World Cup Scoring Record by Christino(m): 8:41pm On Jun 23, 2006
Klose can break that record, or what do you think?

I have said it before, the world will not see another NAZARIO ever again and this is just one of the stamps grin
Re: Ronaldo Beats World Cup Scoring Record by eveseh(f): 1:59pm On Jun 24, 2006
he'sgood i have watch him be4 play
Re: Ronaldo Beats World Cup Scoring Record by IAH(f): 2:27pm On Jun 24, 2006
Oh I'm so happy for him. I hope he scores more before the end of the World Cup, I hope he sets an unbeatable record. Yes!!! cool cool cool
Re: Ronaldo Beats World Cup Scoring Record by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:32pm On Jun 24, 2006
the brazilian coach will be sacked for fielding an unfit player for reasons other than winning a crucial match,

get this, Ghana Vs. Brazil 3-2 , ghana wins, Brazil is out and so is Ronni boy,

Laugh now, let this post stand as a record after the tuesday match
Re: Ronaldo Beats World Cup Scoring Record by Christino(m): 4:53pm On Jun 24, 2006
lager - do u mean Heineken? shocked

Football is not maths but if Ghana cn trash Czech, i can't say o, Maybe they need another Kanu to beat Brazil.
Re: Ronaldo Beats World Cup Scoring Record by Grizzly(m): 1:53pm On Jun 26, 2006
i wish he doesnt surpass any record, i mean on whose head should he surpass this record?? on
ghana's ??! oh no.! shocked shocked lipsrsealed
Re: Ronaldo Beats World Cup Scoring Record by amodu(m): 4:44pm On Jun 26, 2006
All my support and prayer his for Ghana to win by 2 goals to 1.

i pray it that way {AMEN}.

be blessed.
Re: Ronaldo Beats World Cup Scoring Record by AngelaZ(f): 6:36pm On Jun 26, 2006
grin If Wishes were horses ,

Football is based on skills, experience and hardwork,Let the best team wins, as for me
Brazil's got all that wink
Re: Ronaldo Beats World Cup Scoring Record by twinkledew(f): 5:25pm On Jun 28, 2006
He is awesome.
Re: Ronaldo Beats World Cup Scoring Record by otokx(m): 6:15pm On Jun 28, 2006
he has surpassed the record and on ghana's head. congrats to a truly great player who is not like our perenial under achievers.

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS :Real Madrid Signs Golden Boot Star James Rodriguex from monaco / 14 GOALS EACH!!! Which Striker Would You Rather Have ??? / Valencia-las Palmas Statistical Review

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.