Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,036 members, 7,818,059 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

What To Do When Stopped By Nigerian Police In Your Car - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / What To Do When Stopped By Nigerian Police In Your Car (2117 Views)

Solar Powered Car Made By Nigerian Inventor-see Photo / Incredible; Police In Dubai Get Fleet Of Supercars / Nigerian Police Have Done It Again! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do When Stopped By Nigerian Police In Your Car by bilymuse: 12:57pm On Aug 16, 2008
What to do when stopped by the police in your car

The police can stop you at any time whilst you are driving your car. It could be that the police are following up a radio message concerning a car just stolen or snatched in your area. It could also happen that the description of your car coincidentally matches the description of the car earlier reported stolen.

It could also happen that the police are simply carrying out routine anti-crime checks or even traffic checks. At other times, it could simply be that the police have reasonable cause to suspect either your person or your car. Perhaps, a car similar to yours had been involved in a crime in the recent past or even suspected to have been involved in a reported ‘hit and run’ accident case. 

In either of these circumstances, the best thing to do is to gently pull up your car and park off the road- taking care to avoid causing traffic obstruction or other acts that may inconvenience other road users. You must not do anything that will further arouse the suspicion of the officer or suggest that you have the intention of escaping or committing further offence(s). If it is at night, turn on your inner light and show the officer that you have nothing to hide.

Keep your hands visibly on the steering and do nothing to suggest you are about to pull a weapon or conceal an incriminating item. It is also advisable to keep the volume of your car stereo low. It shows respect not to the officer as an individual but to the police as an institution of the state. 

The officer will most likely ask you to identify yourself, demand for your driver’s licence and request for other relevant particulars. This you must do. There are chances that the officer may allow you to proceed if all your papers are correct. If your papers are incorrect, this may provide the officer with further reason to conduct a more detailed search on either your vehicle or your person. In either case, you are expected to obey and comply fully as the officer is still clearly acting within the confines of the law.

During such search you are expected to remain calm and avoid comments or body language that suggests contempt, disrespect or outright antagonism. You are however free to make your observations and comments on the on-going operations. It is however advisable to limit such comments to only germane issues. Unnecessary side talks can be a source of distraction to both the officer and yourself. It could also complicate what ordinarily should have passed as a simple exercise.

Your best bet is to closely monitor the actions or inactions of the officer and report any perceived excesses or infractions of your right to his superiors— either at the local police station, the office of the CP Monitoring Unit, Command Provost Department or the Public Complaints Bureau situated at the Police Public Relations office closest to you.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14472&Itemid=0
Re: What To Do When Stopped By Nigerian Police In Your Car by bilymuse: 12:59pm On Aug 16, 2008
niger police no sabi grammer o , na egunje
Re: What To Do When Stopped By Nigerian Police In Your Car by Nigeria16: 3:34pm On Aug 16, 2008
if i remember well. As long as you have your wazobia, you are ok with police stop. No wazobia, you are in trouble. Have they change or still the same. ??
Re: What To Do When Stopped By Nigerian Police In Your Car by ifyalways(f): 5:01pm On Aug 16, 2008
@Poster nice oo but i seriously doubt If it wud work for the 9ja police for NOW.
Re: What To Do When Stopped By Nigerian Police In Your Car by cescky(m): 5:09pm On Aug 16, 2008
yes grin grin nice write up!!!

it will be practised when we reach civilization aka vision 2020 tongue
Re: What To Do When Stopped By Nigerian Police In Your Car by cola: 8:50pm On Aug 16, 2008
bilymuse:

niger police no sabi grammer o , na egunje

Nigeria1@:

if i remember well. As long as you have your wazobia, you are ok with police stop. No wazobia, you are in trouble. Have they change or still the same. ??
cescky:

yes grin grin nice write up!!!

it will be practised when we reach civilization aka vision 2020 tongue

these are the reasons Nigeria is what it is right now
some people make all noise about corruption and how bad Nigeria is
but they are not prepared to do the right thing themselves
they surrender to corruption
even when they are told this is a good way to deal with a situation, they refuse to believe it's possible
the only way they can see is 'egunje', 'wazobia', 'not possible now' and so on
every time people like you give egunje or wazobia to a police at a checkpoint(of course it means you're appeasing them to cover up something), you undermine the future of your unborn children.
Re: What To Do When Stopped By Nigerian Police In Your Car by cescky(m): 10:03pm On Aug 16, 2008
@cola
am not justifying collection of bribes oo.

do u leave in nigeria? if u do u'll prbably understand where am coming from,constantly drivers and innocent passengers are shot dead b'cos of their unwillingness to part with 20 naira. and what happens? the culprits are never brought to book. the fact here is that corruption is too deeeeeeeeeeeep within the polity.

am not sure u'll like ur blood to be spilled in the name of whatever ur yacking about.

the solution lies in cuuting out the root or head of the corrupt,which is =an overhaul of aso rock. u cant scatter a sheep by striking one of them,when u strike a sherpherd the sheep scatters
Re: What To Do When Stopped By Nigerian Police In Your Car by Mustay(m): 12:02am On Aug 17, 2008
Dis one na if all PROTOCOLS ARE OBSERVED!
Re: What To Do When Stopped By Nigerian Police In Your Car by jumobi1(m): 12:25am On Aug 17, 2008
yea. came back to Naija in 03 and the police stopped us for no reason. they tried to make me pay somethin wit his big gun but i refused. i almost argued wit him but my uncle was scared for me. he told me to chill. @ the end, the useless police let us go. the taxi guy let me know some people can die cos of that.
Re: What To Do When Stopped By Nigerian Police In Your Car by Mustay(m): 6:23am On Aug 17, 2008
jumobi1:

yea. came back to Naija in 03 and the police stopped us for no reason. they tried to make me pay somethin wit his big gun but i refused. i almost argued wit him but my uncle was scared for me. he told me to chill. @ the end, the useless police let us go. the taxi guy let me know some people can die because of that.

make u no just go die like chicken
Re: What To Do When Stopped By Nigerian Police In Your Car by Nobody: 12:56pm On Aug 17, 2008
lol last year september, my family and I were travelling from Ibadan to Lagos, alas, Naija Police stopped us for some 'check ups' , they just came up with some trash about papers, documents and all sorts of nonsense, needless to say, as expected, the officer now asked for a good ol' 'settelement' aka money jare, the officer asked my dad to dash him 2000 Naira, how annoying, my dad now gave him a mere 100 Naira on purpose, the officer now started with his complaints about the amount my dad had given him, my dad just told him to be grateful but he carried on with his rantings, my dad then pretended to call one 'Head Police Officer' someone like that anyway, coincidentally the ojukokoro officer allowed to carry on with our journey, how nice of him grin
Re: What To Do When Stopped By Nigerian Police In Your Car by Nobody: 2:07pm On Aug 17, 2008
cola:

some people make all noise about corruption and how bad Nigeria is
but they are not prepared to do the right thing themselves
they surrender to corruption even when they are told this is a good way to deal with a situation, they refuse to believe it's possible[/b]the only way they can see is [b]'egunje'
, 'wazobia', 'not possible now' and so on
every time people like you give egunje or wazobia to a police at a checkpoint[b]of course it means you're appeasing them to cover up something[/b]
I used to have this mindset until my last trip to naija. I was going to keep an appointment when I noticed this long queue of traffic stretching down the road somewhere in Idiape(Ibadan). It was 9:15am and my appointment was at 10'o clock. A policeman walked up to the car and told me they were doing a routine check. He asked for my particulars and I gave him. He continued checking other cars, while pretending to be going through my documents. My cousin wanted to ''find something'' for him because I was running late for my appointment, but I was against it. Meanwhile, some smart people who got there after us gave them ''egunje'' and they were able to save a lot of time. Those of us who tried to follow protocol ended up wasting our precious time. I was there for over 45 minutes and had to reschedule my appointment. I also had to pay some money to  change the return date on my ticket, just because I followed protocol. I regret not ''finding something for them'' as it could've saved me a lot of stress and unecessary delay.
Re: What To Do When Stopped By Nigerian Police In Your Car by lexicon(m): 6:52pm On Aug 17, 2008
There are lots of things that has went wrong with the Nigerian police which a single person cannot rectify. Just do their wish and go in PEACE. I could remember a day i ran into them, the officer requested for my papers and i gave him.he browse thru it and observe every thing is complete, he hide one of the papers not knowing i was watching him. he later ask for it and i got MAD with him.if not for God's sake ,i would have made his uniform his best enemy !
Re: What To Do When Stopped By Nigerian Police In Your Car by KDK(m): 1:16pm On Sep 20, 2008
STEP 1: STOP THE CAR.

STEP 2: DIP YOUR HANDS IN YOUR POCKET.

STEP 3: BRING OUT N20.

STEP 4: CARRY WAKA.
Re: What To Do When Stopped By Nigerian Police In Your Car by Nobody: 1:30pm On Sep 20, 2008
Re: What To Do When Stopped By Nigerian Police In Your Car by Bphace4u: 1:45pm On Sep 20, 2008
Cola
You only have a dream for our beloved country Nigeria. And I pray it happen soon.
For now it is just N20 and carry go.
Re: What To Do When Stopped By Nigerian Police In Your Car by Bphace4u: 1:52pm On Sep 20, 2008
Seina,
Of a truth if everybody is ready to die like you, Our country we be GOOD.
God help you.

(1) (Reply)

Www.directautoexport.com Review / Clean Registered Benz E320(v Boot) For Urgent Sale! Just 500k / A 9ja Used Clk Benz 500 For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.