Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,475 members, 7,819,732 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:54 PM

What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? (1687 Views)

IRS Airline Plane Crash-Lands In Kaduna / Plane Crash-lands In Benin / Ba Plane Lands In Darkness At Abuja Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by Bibi(m): 9:40pm On Sep 03, 2005
what will happen if Katrina has Landed in Lagos or any of our coastal cities?

Can Lagos really survive it?. Can the goverment mobilise any relief with urgency to reach victims early?
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by nike4luv(f): 9:45pm On Sep 03, 2005
i have nothing to say all i wanna say is, please dont curse, it wil never happen cry
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by hotangel2(f): 4:03am On Sep 04, 2005
This is a good question.

When the third mainland bridge fall down, it won't be fun at all ooo. With all those buses on it that carry heavy loads. The rods that holds up the bridge are rotten. I will encourage Nigeria to do something about that bridge before it colapse.

And there's this beach my dad was talking about. He said, the last time the bank overflowed, it was stopped.. I hope the next time it will come, ehnnnnn. Those that live in Nigeria know what i mean. I dunno the name of the beach.
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by layi(m): 2:43pm On Sep 04, 2005
Truth is Nigeria is just livin under GOD's supernatural mercy/grace.
Ikeja Bomb blast claimed the lives of over 5,000 people. Imagine us killin our selves with our bombs. Nobody dey fight us. Funny but sad.
The country is so loose. Nothing seems to be working.

Emergency sector- zero - its when u call them for an emergency that they know they have no fuel.
Power sector -  zero - Those ones just play with the thing like toy. They caused the burning of Metroplaza recently.
Security - minus 100 . They collect bribes at gunpoint. Infact they are uniformed armed robbers.

I can go on for ages but the point is that any natural distaster will wipe away Nigeria.
We are in the age when countries are becoming proactive but Nigeria still believes in reactin. We never have disasters doesnt mean we shouldnt prepare in case.
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by Angelgal(f): 3:24pm On Sep 23, 2005
Everyday the Bar Beach is inching in closer and closer to the main road and might soon flood into the residential areas near it.

This is only noticed whe the rains come..nothing is being done about it during the dry season. The sandbags that have been piled to prevent this have proved useless. I even hear an Israeli company has been awarded the contract to rectiy the almost gone situation. I hope it's true and not just a propaganda.God help us!
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by natasha: 7:06pm On Nov 25, 2005
Katrina or rita will never occur in Nigeria because i think it's more of a spiritual thing and though we might not have the infrastructures on ground because of our govts insensitivity, we have God with us.
Katrina was a punishment on america for evacuating the jews from the promise land which God gave them thereby making americans evacuate their own homes. In the same vein, God choose new orleans in particular as an example because of their great sins in the sight of God.
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by Bibi(m): 9:12pm On Nov 25, 2005
bulls**t. Its this kind of mentallity that will never allow you to be prepared and ensure even the minimum form of planning in case of eventuality. Its this prayer/God attitude that is killing Nigeria. Someone has said it on this forum that rather than do something about their circumstance, Nigerians will keep on praying, just the way God? answered Alameyeseigha's prayer by teleporting him from London to Nigeria.
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by sage(m): 2:27am On Nov 26, 2005
natasha:

Katrina or rita will never occur in Nigeria because i think it's more of a spiritual thing and though we might not have the infrastructures on ground because of our govts insensitivity, we have God with us.
Katrina was a punishment on america for evacuating the jews from the promise land which God gave them thereby making americans evacuate their own homes. In the same vein, God choose new orleans in particular as an example because of their great sins in the sight of God.

I cant believe an inteligent creature can make a quote like this. So God sent the tsunamis to punish indonesia, india, thailand, burma, malaysia etc. God killed the 250000 innocent people? God sent the earthquakes that hit china, japan, korea and kill thousands each year? God sent katrina to punish the poor balck ones in the U.S for living in an "evil' country and city? Maybe god sent the terrorists too that bombed london to punish Britain for beign an ally 4 'evil'.

I never seem to stop beign amazed by Nigerians. From that above statement i can also infer that God sent corruption, lawlessness, political assasinations, poverty, desperation, 419, witchcrafting etc to reward Nigerians for beign the most righteous set of people on earth?. I think now i understand
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by sage(m): 2:29am On Nov 26, 2005
i think an incident like the ikeja cantonment was sent by God to kill 5000 of the most righteous people in the most righteous country on earth? Maybe the bellview airlines killed 117 saints in Gods most beloved country?
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by goodguy(m): 12:33pm On Jan 02, 2006
sage:

God killed the 250000 innocent people?
This is one statement that forever baffles me. Why do we keep calling people who died thru natural disasters "innocent"? I'm sure if there are cities like Sodom and Gomorrah in this present day and something terrible happens to them, we will still refer to the victims as "innocent".

Pls note that I am not saying those who died thru natural disasters have commited any grave sins against God. I'm just sick and tired of hearing people condeming others for assuming that God punishes some people.

Besides, even if they are innocent, have u forgotten what God said in Exodus 20:5?? ..where he said, "...for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me."
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by Lotuken(m): 10:35am On Mar 09, 2006
well,let's say Katrina Was an act of God.But i can tell u that nigeria is more of a corrupt nation than united state.Remember,united state is (God's own country)there is virtually evil thing going on in nigeria and if not for God's mercy nigeria would have collapsed.May i tell you once again that,new orleans is just a little world on it's own and you cannot compare the evil they do in mexico city to the new orleans.I hope you understand.
natasha:

wink

Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by Izzo(m): 6:05pm On Jul 22, 2006
If it were to happen; It wouldn't look pretty at all. Cos WHO are you going to call to HELP, WHAT is the soul called (CORRUPT) government going to do about it. When all they think about is just filling up their bank accounts with the countries funds and not even wanting 2 know the concerns of its citizens. getting infuriated angry angry cry cry
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by Mariory(m): 1:50pm On Jul 25, 2006
goodguy:

Besides, even if they are innocent, have u forgotten what God said in Exodus 20:5?? , where he said, ", for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me."

If something bad happened to me, and you happened to say that to my face. Could I use that same quote for my defence when I burst your eye sockets out of your head?
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by goodguy(m): 3:24pm On Jul 25, 2006
Doesn't make any sense to me.
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by Mariory(m): 3:54pm On Jul 25, 2006
Exactly!
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by dblock(m): 3:40am On Oct 01, 2006
hot angel why u don dey act like person wey no no im self, na wa o, u don dey siddon talk sif shimi re no reach standard abeg, make u no curse naija ohh
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by omoonile2: 9:56pm On Jan 29, 2007
@ everybody

GOD FORBID A TSUNAMI IN LAGOS, O, LAGOS IS DA CITY OF GOD, AI-IGHT,
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by amaikama(m): 4:57pm On Aug 10, 2007
please when is it going to come? at least i will be a refugee in another country, most especially Ghana. grin
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by Jakumo(m): 8:05pm On Aug 10, 2007
The recent floods and heat waves in Europe, the near total absence of rain and attendant forest fire outbreaks on America's west coast, and global weather records that continue to be shattered every year, are all DIRECT EFFECTS of global warming, but there is more extreme weather in store, and Lagos, being a coastal city, may not continue to fare as well as it has in the past, given the inexorable rise of sea levels worldwide.

A scenario where offshore seismic activity or unusually large storms at sea trigger a tidal wave that threatens the entire Lagos, Lekki and Epe shoreline may sound implausible because nothing of that magnitude has occurred in the past, yet such an event does in fact become more likely with each passing year of increasing global temperatures and melting polar ice-caps.
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by debosky(m): 8:10pm On Aug 10, 2007
it is highly unlikely - there is little or no seismic activity anywhere on the continental shelf off the bight of Benin, we are lucky to be located in one of the most benign seismic regions in the world. Tsunami's are not products of global warming, but more a knock on effect of sub-sea seismic activities such as shifting tectonic plates and earthquakes. Our distance from the mid atlantic ridge implies that any such activity will be severely dampened by the time it makes landfall so the risk is very minimal. Our risks would be more in the line of flooding due to increased rainfall and poor drainage or general rise in sea levels submerging the lowest portion of the coastal regions

with the economic assets located on our coast, any such threat would likely be countered by storm breakers and channels/gates as you have in London and Amsterdam being built.
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by Gamine(f): 8:16pm On Aug 10, 2007
i had a serious dream that a huge flooding occured

whether it was tsunami-caused or not i dont know

but it happened.

i have bin having this dream since i was a kid

i evn grew up on the island to make mattas worse
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by mamagee3(f): 9:16pm On Jan 18, 2010
Fashola would leave Nigeria for Saudi Arabia just like Yaradua.
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by flekan(m): 10:17pm On Jan 18, 2010
^^ Lmao!
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by joseeric: 8:21am On Jan 19, 2010
Let it never happen.It can be far much bad a disaster than Haiti quake abeg.
Re: What If A Tsunami Lands In Lagos? by Profkenny1(m): 4:08pm On Jan 26, 2010
God 4bid!

(1) (Reply)

Regardless Of Your Qualifications,we Can Assist U Get A Denmark Greencard Visa / Any Nairalander In Freetown Sierra Leon.pls Its Urgent / Travel To Ireland, New Zealand, And Other Countries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.