Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,822 members, 7,844,659 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 04:38 AM

The Prodigal Son - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Prodigal Son (866 Views)

The "Prodigal Son" Title Is Misleading / The Prodigal Son Is Today's Born-again Believer / THE PRODIGAL CHURCH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Prodigal Son by Cayon(f): 9:56pm On Aug 16, 2008
I was amazed to discover the truths found in this parable of what happened to the younger son as God changes us. I hope you would enjoy it as much as I have puzzled through it (see link below).  Question: - Do you think the father in the parable is Our Father in Heaven

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2015:11-32
Re: The Prodigal Son by AKO1(m): 10:01pm On Aug 16, 2008
**Prodi[b]g[/b]al**

wink
Re: The Prodigal Son by Cayon(f): 10:11pm On Aug 16, 2008
A_K_O:

**Prodi[b]g[/b]al**

wink
kiss
Re: The Prodigal Son by AKO1(m): 10:30pm On Aug 16, 2008
Cayon:

kiss
Ure welcome! smiley
Yes, the father is like God, in the sense that God is always ready to welcome us back

1John 1:8-9
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

The father in the parable threw a feast for the prodigal son. Similarly,
Luke 15:7
I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

The father in the parable loved his son in spite of everything he had done; before and after he rebelled. Similarly,
Jeremiah 31:3
The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness.
Re: The Prodigal Son by Cayon(f): 11:37pm On Aug 16, 2008
Yes, I agree with you. As I got older I realize the healing effects of forgiveness; both for the one forgiving and the forgiven. This parable just shows us how great and infinite His Love is for all of us.

Peace
A_K_O:

Ure welcome! smiley
Yes, the father is like God, in the sense that God is always ready to welcome us back

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

The father in the parable threw a feast for the prodigal son. Similarly,
Luke 15:7
I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

The father in the parable loved his son in spite of everything he had done; before and after he rebelled. Similarly,
Jeremiah 31:3
The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness.

Re: The Prodigal Son by AKO1(m): 11:40pm On Aug 16, 2008
Cayon:

As I got older I realize the healing effects of forgiveness; both for the one forgiving and the forgiven.

A Pastor I know defined forgiveness as "enlightened self-interest".

Meaning that in forgiving someone that offends you, you're actually doing yourself a greater favor. Or at least thats how God sees it.
Re: The Prodigal Son by justcool(m): 12:20am On Aug 17, 2008
A_K_O:

Ure welcome! smiley

@A_K_O
You are right by saying that God is willing to forgive us. However, just confessing our sins is not enough for us to earn God's forgiveness. We must be willing to serve God and sin no more. After realizing or confessing our sins, we must be willing become God's servants and determine with all our strength obey Gods laws and never to sin again.

Remember the parable says that after realizing his foolishness, he also realized that he is not worthy to be called his fathers's son(this is humility); then prodigal son was willing even to become a servant of his father.

"I am no more worthy to be called your son: make me as one of thy hired servants." Luke 15:19 (American standard version)

We need to realize that we are sinners, then become very humble to God, and vow with all our strength to become his servant--Do only HIS will. Part of HIS will is to forgive all those that have trespassed against us in the past. This is the true repentance that will lead us to God's forgiveness.

If we only confess our sins and not ready to mend our ways, we will not receive forgiveness.
Re: The Prodigal Son by justcool(m): 12:35am On Aug 17, 2008
A_K_O:

A Pastor I know defined forgiveness as "enlightened self-interest".

Meaning that in forgiving someone that offends you, you're actually doing yourself a greater favor. Or at least thats how God sees it.

I completely agree with you here. The bold parts are very correct.

About your pastors definition, he is correct but one must keep in mind that genuine forgiveness should be given out of love, and not out of self-interest. One should forgive his offenders because of the love in his/her heart for the offenders.

If you forgive your offender merely in-order to be forgiven by God, then this is wrong. It is like doing business with God. God is not a business man. You need to forgive, without thinking of your own gain, then you will definitely gain from your forgiveness.

Geniune forgiveness can only be born out of love.
Re: The Prodigal Son by ifyalways(f): 6:21am On Aug 17, 2008
justcool:

Geniune forgiveness can only be born out of love.
[
Geniune repentance comes from genuine conviction too.The prodigal son was truly convicted of his sin b4 heading for home.Repentance is not to be forced down anymans throat,U repent ONLY when u as an individual is convinced that u are a sinner,when u have realized that "of your own,u can do nothing"
Re: The Prodigal Son by Cayon(f): 3:01pm On Aug 17, 2008
@ify:

When someone is forgiven, you're not saying to them that what they did was right, you're not endorsing their behavior. You're releasing yourself from the weight and baggage of unloving emotions. You're giving yourself the freedom to live a life based on love and love only.

(1) (Reply)

You Are Sentenced! / Obama And The Antichrist / Huxley - Nebuchadnezzar Of Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.