Stats: 3,152,934 members, 7,817,725 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? (3069 Views)

Dead Michael Essien Is Better Than Mikel Obi / Michael Schumacher Battles For His Life After Skiing Accident / Michael Essien Wears Chelsea Captain Band For First Time (2) (3) (4)

Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by Nobody: 4:05am On Aug 18, 2008
Michael Phelps the "greatest Olympian of all time"? Give me a break pls!!!

It is no longer news that Michael Phelps of the USA won 8 gold medals at the Beijing olympics (beating Michael Spitz's record of 7 set in 1972), breaking 7 world records in the process. Phelps has garnered 13 gold medals in just 2 olympics and is being touted as the greatest Olympian ever.

Am i the only one who thinks this is going way overboard for someone who is simply lucky to possess a body made for swimming faster than everyone else? How can Phelps be greater than Usain Bolt who did broke the 100m record even after decelerating with a good 10 yards left to run? Is Phelps a better athlete than the average football player or track athletes?

The equivalent of Phelp's record is that for a Judo athlete to ever be described as the "greatest olympian of all time", he will have to appear at the Olympics for the next 36 yrs since there is only one gold medal available for the sport!!! shocked

why are there so many medals available for swimming (96 in total) and so few for other sports? Should we also include the 100m in reverse, 50m with one hand tied behind the back, 60m freestyle, 75m in blindfolds, 125m obstacle race . . . perhaps Usain Bolt will be able to challenge for 8 gold medals at one games too.

In the 2hrs 30mins it takes a tennis player to win his first round match (playing for just ONE (1) gold medal), Michael Phelps would have collected 10 gold medals . . .

Greatest olympian indeed! Pls get Phelps off my TV screen . . .
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by KarmaMod(f): 4:12am On Aug 18, 2008
davidylan:

Please get Phelps off my TV screen . . .

Mine first
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by debosky(m): 4:17am On Aug 18, 2008
I sense a tinge of jealousy here david cheesy

Phelps is no phony - I'm sure there are MANY people out there with bodies as good as his and even better. The truth is, it takes a real champion to excel at more than a single event and to do it consistently with the kind of pressure and media attention he was under. He set a target of 8 and achieved it, something previously undone before.

If it is 'just' two olympics like you said, how come the great Spitz did not win 6 at two olympics at his best? How come other athletes have been unable to win such?

Let me give you an analogy, Phelps' achievement is equivalent to winning the 100, 200, 400 and 800m events, as well as the hurdles versions, now would any athlete capable of doing that not be worthy of being called the greatest olympian?

If it were such a dime a dozen achievement, then others would have done it - make no mistake about it, Phelps is one of the greatest competitors at these games, the back to back golds he won with little rest time in between shows you how determined he is to win.

It matters little whether it two hours or not - the crucible of pressure under those few seconds are, in my view, greater than those in tennis - with the margin for failure so slight, one cannot but doff your hat to him - he beat others who were prepared and winners in their own right, and he did it not once, nor twice, but 8 times. This against others who likely focused on just ONE race/technique for the previous 4 years? He deserves his accolades.

Whether he is the 'greatest' or not is up for debate, but he is undoubtedly one of the very best competitors out there.
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by Nobody: 4:25am On Aug 18, 2008
debosky:

I sense a tinge of jealousy here david cheesy

Jealous of what? A human fish? puhlease. grin

debosky:

Let me give you an analogy, Phelps' achievement is equivalent to winning the 100, 200, 400 and 800m events, as well as the hurdles versions, now would any athlete capable of doing that not be worthy of being called the greatest olympian?

Your analogy is not correct . . . it takes a completely different skill, strategy and long term training to compete in the 100m and the 800m. while the 100m is a sprint, the 800m is an extreme test of endurance not for the faint of heart.

Its like assuming Haile Gabreseilase shld have been able to try out for the 100m too.

Swimming is the only sport where 41 yr olds can still come out of retirement and win gold! shocked Try that in the 100m and see how that works.

debosky:

If it were such a dime a dozen achievement, then others would have done it - make no mistake about it, Phelps is one of the greatest competitors at these games, the back to back golds he won with little rest time in between shows you how determined he is to win.

First it was Ian thorpe winning everything, next came Aaron Piersol and now Phelps . . . when "world records" are broken willynilly even in qualifying heats it devalues that competition.

Its not so difficult to swim from one end of a pool and back all day, even little kids with no training do that for recreation. Try running sub 10 seconds three times in one day with just 30 mins rest.

debosky:

Whether he is the 'greatest' or not is up for debate, but he is undoubtedly one of the very best competitors out there.

In terms of setting a target and achieving it i certainly agree . . . everything else is subjective. Where Phelps to be Nigerian, no one would be talking about him being the greatest olympian.
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by Nobody: 4:26am On Aug 18, 2008
*Scoff* Nlers will always be jealous.
He's not a phony, he has a goal and he's achieving it. something worng with that?
Although I think his 7th medal was not his
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by Nobody: 4:28am On Aug 18, 2008
KarmaMod:

Mine first
Please, do me the honour of throwing your TV out the window.
You've always been against Team USA, so this is not new.
Abeg, please all of you, go and cry with the CHN jor cool
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by Joseph6(m): 4:37am On Aug 18, 2008
some people are just hyped outrageously and some people can't live widout bringing odas down , we just have 2 deal wit our issues first okay?
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by KarmaMod(f): 4:41am On Aug 18, 2008
Ruby_Pearl:

Please, do me the honour of throwing your TV out the window.
You've always been against Team USA, so this is not new.
Abeg, please all of you, go and cry with the CHN jor cool

Cry over the fact that ONCE again they got gold for diving? or the fact that they made you guys cry during the female gymnatics? where should I start? grin
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by debosky(m): 4:42am On Aug 18, 2008
davidylan:

First it was Ian thorpe winning everything, next came Aaron Piersol and now Phelps . . . when "world records" are broken willynilly even in qualifying heats it devalues that competition.
when they were winning 'everything' did they manage as much as 5 gold medals? Those athletes you so calmly mentioned were phenomenal, but even at their best never achieved what Phelps did. Whoever said that World records only have to be broken in the final? Its just more dramatic, nothing more.

Its not so difficult to swim from one end of a pool and back all day, even little kids with no training do that for recreation. Try running sub 10 seconds three times in one day with just 30 mins rest.

My answer to that is, why haven't other competitors been able to achieve the same? So easy indeed.

In terms of setting a target and achieving it i certainly agree . . . everything else is subjective. Where Phelps to be Nigerian, no one would be talking about him being the greatest olympian.

Has ANYONE EVER won 8 medals? There might be an element of American hype yes, but that doesn't devalue his achievement. ANYONE who can beat a talented field of athletes in 8 DIFFERENT competitions at the highest level is worthy of that title, nationality aside.

In our entire history we've never won 8 golds, not to talk of one man and in one olympics; there's little national bias in this, his achievement is phenomenal period.

PS My analogy is completely correct, there are short and long distance races in swimming too - some are speed driven, others are endurance driven too. If Haile was as phenomenal as Phelps, then he would be dominant in other races as well.

Phelps won medals in 100, 200 and 400m individual and relay events, now show me ONE athlete who can do that in the sprints.
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by Nobody: 4:43am On Aug 18, 2008
KarmaMod:

Cry over the fact that ONCE again they got gold for diving? or the fact that they made you guys cry during the female gymnatics? where should I start? grin
Start anywhere. As long as you start, innit? tongue
Ok o, make I listen.
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by Nobody: 6:56am On Aug 18, 2008
debosky:

In our entire history we've never won 8 golds, not to talk of one man and in one olympics; there's little national bias in this, his achievement is phenomenal period.

This has nothing to do with national golds. If we had "games" like Ludo, Ayo, police and thief . . . we'd be able to win 8 gold medals too.
The US took 8 out of 19 gold medals from Phelps alone, how many Nigerians swim?

debosky:

PS My analogy is completely correct, there are short and long distance races in swimming too - some are speed driven, others are endurance driven too. If Haile was as phenomenal as Phelps, then he would be dominant in other races as well.

Phelps won medals in 100, 200 and 400m individual and relay events, now show me ONE athlete who can do that in the sprints.

400m is not a sprint neither is the 200m. Both are tests of endurance wholly different from the 100m which requires different skills and strategy. As good as Michael Johnson was he didnt attempt the 100m, that required a fast start rather than merely having the lungs of a horse.

Phelps won 5 of 8 medals from relay events . . . how many relay events are available in the sprints? Most of the swimming races were agaiinst the same opponents time and time again . . . so what was significant?

Gebreselasie dominated the 10,000m from 1993 to 2000 . . . that is an achievement.
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by Ibime(m): 9:25am On Aug 18, 2008
Carl Lewis. . . . long jump, 100m, 200m. . . . that is a real olympic great.

Michael Johnson is an olympic great in the 200m and 400m

Too many medals in swimming. They should have one medal for 100m, 200m, 400m etc. . . . not different medals for butterfly, backstroke, front crawl etc. . . . . . until today, the 60m sprint is not an olympic sport, yet every swimming discipline is.

The one that makes me laugh. . . .do you know that in rowing, they have middleweight and lightweight. . . .haha. . . maybe we should also have 100m lightweight, 100m middleweight, 100m bantamweight, 100m flyweight etc. . . you get the drift.
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by hollandis(f): 10:25am On Aug 18, 2008
I dont "trust" the gaps he gets over his rivals and the unnecessary overating and attention the press gives him.Just like marion jones,always several meters ahead of her rivals.It would definitely be a shame if he was in some kind of unknown drugs.Though he won several golds in the last olwpics,there is no reason to harshly judge him, We can also have record breakers if we have events like

40m men
60m men
70m men
120 m men
131.5 meters men
140meter men

10m women
12m women
144m freestyle men and women
Double 100m
Team 100m

45minutes football events
20minutes football events
Just penalty football events

Micheal phelps hollandis
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by MrCrackles(m): 10:27am On Aug 18, 2008
why should anyone suggest so?

he his real, super and humble! wat more?
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by Thor(m): 10:31am On Aug 18, 2008
Here we go again, Nigerians not being able to stand someone doing well at anything.

Phelps is a super hero, the kind that Nigeria will never breed, but needs lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by ow11(m): 10:39am On Aug 18, 2008
debosky:

Swimming sprint is the 50m freestyle. Phelps for swim that one na.

Now have you checked out Daley Thompson's profile? The decathlete won gold medals in 2 consecutive olympics in 10 disciplines! Now I am more impressed by that than relays in the pool.

These are :
Day1
100 metres
long jump
shot put
high jump
400 metres
Day 2
110 metre hurdles
discus
pole vault
javelin
1500 metres

Now I believe the greatest athlete in the world is the decathlon champion.
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by Thor(m): 10:52am On Aug 18, 2008
Athletes that take part in the Decathlon are not world class at any of those 10 events and could not compete and win against athletes that focus on one event.

Daly Thompson was a huge star and I do not want to take anything away from him. His success must have been down to his Scottish, Nigerian mixed heritage grin grin grin
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by Gamine(f): 11:00am On Aug 18, 2008
I cant believe this thread.

Whats phoney about a determined guy

who goes forward to accomplish his goals?

chei! some people sef
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by shilling(f): 11:50am On Aug 18, 2008
The question here should not be him being a phony but him being overrated
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by Thor(m): 12:16pm On Aug 18, 2008
Overrated = Not living up to the expectations or hype

Phelps has more than lived up to expectations.

He is a 100% Olympic hero and great champion smiley smiley
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by TheSly: 12:51pm On Aug 18, 2008
So now the question becomes, is he the greatest Olympian ever?

The answer to that is no.

Not until he wins even more in London, or does something even more freaky, like pick up a gold in the triathlon.

OK, so maybe the idea of Phelps on a bike or taking a run after a swim is a bit far-fetched. The point is that swimming medals are so plentiful that it’s the only sport where someone can even think of winning more than a handful in any given Olympics.

As good as the U.S. basketball team is, the players will get only one medal when they finish off their Olympic run this week. And as awesome as Usain Bolt runs, the fastest man on the planet will go home to Jamaica with no more than three gold medals, for the 100 and 200 meters and the 400 relay.

Phelps was able to win eight golds in nine days because, yes, he’s the greatest Olympic swimmer of all time. It also helped that his toughest race came first in the 400 individual medley and he excelled in events that were spread out at just the right intervals.

Give that nod to Carl Lewis, who won nine gold medals over four Olympics, including the long jump four games in a row. Unlike Phelps, Lewis won his medals doing two very different things, using his speed to win the 100 and 200 meters and his leaping ability for the long jump
Dude is over hyped. . . . . . and now im getting pissed! Greatest what??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sad
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by Thor(m): 12:54pm On Aug 18, 2008
OK, lets put him on the gigantic huge list of Nigerian Olympic superstars

It is a really sad fact when you shoot down extremely successful people like Phelps due to your own sour, depressing non existent lives lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

In Nigeria - Success = Jealousy

Jealousy = Self Destruction

Self Destruction = Being Nigerian
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by LadyT(f): 1:00pm On Aug 18, 2008
But Surely he is only winning so many medals because theres so many races in Swimming?

Im sure if others had as many races as he did they would be others with so many medals.

Congrats to him though let the cash ROLL IN!
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by Thor(m): 1:04pm On Aug 18, 2008
So where are all the Nigerian swimming stars?
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by donchichi: 2:20pm On Aug 18, 2008
Someone has won 8 gold medals! i repeat, 8 gold medals!!!!shattering world records (both in and out of the pool in doing so) and someone on earth thinks he is phony?!!! You have got to be kidding me

I guess all those things they are say are true, that no matter how good you are and what good you do, you cannot please everybody.
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by shilling(f): 2:38pm On Aug 18, 2008
I don't see the need to insult anyone. We are all entitled to our opinions, it's our right. People are only excercising that right here! smiley smiley smiley
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by adeeniola(m): 2:45pm On Aug 18, 2008
wch rait r u esasizing? i beg mek wi yia word.
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by cold(m): 3:05pm On Aug 18, 2008
Okay,okay no nid for the bile,let's me try & put a handle on this situation.That guy Phelps try sha but the hype too much.My fear is this shldn't turn into anoda Marion-Gates scandal.Americans are well known for their uncanny habits of using PEDs.From IAAN meets to Tour de France to the Olympics the story is the same.Very few American athletes have ever retire without havin their names soild in 1 scandal or the other.I wldn't want to see Phelps returnin medals som yrs 4rm now.
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by onyinye2(f): 4:27pm On Aug 18, 2008
Bunch of haters on this thread.
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by mekk(m): 4:28pm On Aug 18, 2008
Stand up for the champion, for the champion,stand up!!!

Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by mekk(m): 4:33pm On Aug 18, 2008
onyinye2:

Bunch of haters on this thread.
onyinye2, it think its safe to say you love mischief a lot.
Re: Does Anyone Else Think Michael Phelps Is A Phony? by onyinye2(f): 4:36pm On Aug 18, 2008
mekk:

onyinye2, it think its safe to say you love mischief a lot.
Nna, o gini?

If You Must Choose Between The Super Eagles And Your Club: / BREAKING NEWS: Neymar Officially Joins FC Barcelona For €150m / The Gunners' First Quiz

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60