Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,742 members, 7,809,838 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:46 PM

Two Moon On 27th August - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Two Moon On 27th August (1708 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Moon On 27th August by lexicon(m): 9:02am On Aug 19, 2008
DID YOU KNOW

That 27th Aug is what the Whole World is waiting for,

Planet Mars will be the brightest in the night sky starting August. It will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. This will cultivate on Aug. 27 when Mars comes within 34.65M miles off earth. Be sure to watch the sky on Aug. 27 12:30 am. It will look like the earth has 2 moons.

The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287.

Make sure you witness it as NO ONE ALIVE TODAY will ever see it again.

Seun, i search for a forum to match this but coul'nt fined, that is why i do it here.

Re: Two Moon On 27th August by Mustay(m): 1:48pm On Aug 19, 2008
I shall wait for the day
Re: Two Moon On 27th August by lexicon(m): 6:07pm On Aug 19, 2008
It will be a good experience
Re: Two Moon On 27th August by Mustay(m): 9:05pm On Aug 19, 2008
My camera is waiting
Re: Two Moon On 27th August by iice(f): 9:15am On Aug 20, 2008
Abeg save picture for me grin
Yeah, i'l be watching too
Re: Two Moon On 27th August by naijababe2(f): 12:39pm On Aug 20, 2008
wel i'll stay up that nite.
Re: Two Moon On 27th August by drrionelli(m): 6:17pm On Aug 20, 2008
Will this phenomenon be visible from everywhere on Earth, or just certain areas? 

(I really hope I don't forget about this--279 years is a long time to wait for the next sighting!)
Re: Two Moon On 27th August by cescky(m): 10:32pm On Aug 20, 2008
be busy that night,so ill put it in my itinary against the next one tongue
Re: Two Moon On 27th August by SeanT21(f): 2:59am On Aug 21, 2008
Thats Wonderful!!

Good Job GOD!!
Re: Two Moon On 27th August by titilaelae(f): 3:47pm On Aug 26, 2008
lexicon:

DID YOU KNOW

The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287.

Make sure you witness it as NO ONE ALIVE TODAY will ever see it again.

cescky:

be busy that night,so ill put it in my itinary against the next one tongue
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked Another Methuselah??
Re: Two Moon On 27th August by theopops: 4:03pm On Aug 26, 2008
Please kindly don't waste your time. Just do a google search and you'll find it.

Here is a write up. Don't just believe everything you read on Nairaland.
An email that has circulated during July and August for several years is again hitting inboxes in 2007. The message informs recipients that the planet Mars will be passing very close to Earth in August. While this information was valid back in 2003, it is totally inaccurate for 2007.

The year is not specifically mentioned in the message and a great many recipients therefore assume that the message refers to August, 2007. Another version of the message is circulating via SMS. Virtually identical (and equally misleading) messages were circulating back in July and August 2005 and again in July and August 2006. The events outlined in the message were more or less true back in 2003 although they were a little hyped even then. According to NASA, on August 27, 2003, Earth and Mars were the closest they have been for around 60,000 years. Mars was indeed a spectacular site in the night sky during several months of 2003.

However, this fact is not quite as earth shattering as you might think. A 2003 NASA article on the subject explains that:

Much has been made of the fact that the August 27th encounter with Mars is the closest in some 60,000 years. Neanderthals were the last to observe Mars so favorably placed. This is true. It's also a bit of hype. Mars and Earth have been almost this close many times in recent history.

In spite of the claims in the 2006 incarnation of the message, Mars was a far less than "spectacular" sight in the night sky. For much of 2006, it was on the far side of the sun from the Earth and was quite inconspicuous during July and August.

And, during July and August 2007, the view of Mars will again be far less than spectacular. Mars will make its closest approach to Earth in December 2007, but, even then, it will not be particularly bright. The SEDS website notes:

Mars will come into its Opposition on December 24, 2007 in constellation Gemini. Six days earlier, on December 18, 2007, the planet will have come to its closes distance to Earth during this apparation: 88.42 million km (55 million miles, or 0.58935 AU). This is not very close, as Mars will be quite close to its aphelion at the time of this opposition. As usual, this approach will offer another opportunity to launch spacecraft to the red planet: Nasa intends to send the Mars lander Phoenix.

The planet will be situated far north: At a northern declination of +26:46 at opposition time, Northern hemisphere observers will find it high in their meridian, and Southerners will find it low in the North. In this rather aphelic opposition, the planet will become only as bright as mag -1.64, and of diameter 15.88 arc seconds around that time.

At around 88 million kilometers, Mars will be a lot further away from Earth this year than it was back in 2003 when the distance between the planets was only around 56 million kilometers.

Also check out this link: http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/errata/a/two-moons.htm
Re: Two Moon On 27th August by Mustay(m): 8:38pm On Aug 27, 2008
Eh eh eh. I no see any moons here o! And i no fit fast backward to 2003
Re: Two Moon On 27th August by drrionelli(m): 10:01pm On Aug 27, 2008
Good catch, theopops! Kudos for the additional information, as well!

Hence, my previous post.

After all, the full moon this month was August 16.

(1) (Reply)

Witness: Street Life In Lagos – A Film By Joe Loncraine [video] / Adire Markets In Lagos / Nigerian Vs African Americans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.