Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,399 members, 7,822,839 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials (8299 Views)

Poll: Can Anything Be Done About This?

Yes: 57% (28 votes)
No: 42% (21 votes)
This poll has ended

A Car Got Completely Burnt At Obalende R/about Lagos Nigeria / Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery / Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by bluehorizo(m): 12:01pm On Aug 19, 2008
British Officials Stripped Me!

[b]British immigration officials are alleged to have subjected some Nigerian women to dehumanising treatment, stripping them in the guise of security screening.

The women, our correspondent learnt on Monday, were among passengers on Emirates flight EK 0015 to London on August 5, this year.

The flight left Lagos on August 5, made a stopover in Dubai and arrived Gatwick on August 6.

But after the passengers disembarked, some female immigration officials randomly picked some Nigerian women and ordered them into a room where they were reportedly stripped.

One of the affected passengers who narrated her ordeal to our correspondent on the condition of anonymity, for fear that she might be stigmatised, said she and her colleagues were compelled to take off their clothes and underwear while the officials used security gadgets to frisk them.

She said, “Immediately we were taken into the room, we were compelled to take off our clothes. We protested but they threatened to deport us if we failed to co-operate.

“But they were not even satisfied with that. They ordered us to also remove our undies and brassieres. They then started to frisk our private parts and breasts with security equipment.

“I wept profusely but the officials were unmoved. They said they wanted to be sure that we did not conceal hard drugs in our bodies.

“At a point, one of them knelt down, asked me to open my legs wide while she looked deep into my private part. It was dehumanising and I felt as if I was raped. I felt ashamed as I dressed up and left the room. I regretted the trip.”

The woman, who is her 30s and married with children, said she and the other women were later released after nothing incriminating was found on them.

When contacted on the matter on Monday, an official of the Public Affairs section of the British High Commission in Nigeria, Mr. Dele Oladokun, promised to reach the relevant officials and then get back to our correspondent.[/b]

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20080819327262
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by udezue(m): 12:06pm On Aug 19, 2008
SICK bastards.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by landis(m): 12:21pm On Aug 19, 2008
She said, “Immediately we were taken into the room, we were compelled to take off our clothes. We protested but they threatened to deport us if we failed to co-operate.

They should have stuck to their point of NOT undressing.

It is that simple; NO OFFICIAL can force you to do anything against your wish.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by dudubobo1: 1:14pm On Aug 19, 2008
landis:

It is that simple; NO OFFICIAL can force you to do anything against your wish.

they did not want to get deported at that point. . . not after spending a lot of money in buying tickets. I wonder what would be said if Nigerian officials do same to British people
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by dudubobo1: 1:16pm On Aug 19, 2008
Considering the fact that there are many lesbians in Britain these days, many of them would be applying to work in the immigration service as they get the chance to sexually molest other women with the force of the law behind them.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by MrCrackles(m): 1:19pm On Aug 19, 2008
yepaaaa shocked
i hope this is not an exaggeration or somthing?!
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by Mustay(m): 1:53pm On Aug 19, 2008
30 years later, we are still asked to take care of our clothes?

Do they still think we have fur like monkeys?
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by landis(m): 2:25pm On Aug 19, 2008
they did not want to get deported at that point. . . not after spending a lot of money in buying tickets.

well they have nothing to complain about: they agreed to be 'searched'

No law court we compensate them so long those who searched them were FEMALE.

cased closed.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by seyibrown(f): 2:42pm On Aug 19, 2008
I am not sure if anyone needs to be undressed to be searched for drugs in this age and time.

They can carry out the search with the right equipment without undressing them.

I feel bad that they were subjected to such treatment.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by folahann(m): 4:36pm On Aug 19, 2008
landis:

well they have nothing to complain about: they agreed to be 'searched'

No law court we compensate them so long those who searched them were FEMALE.

cased closed.

They were under threat of being deported, that's why they agreed. This is so sad in the 21st century
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by landis(m): 4:42pm On Aug 19, 2008
They were under threat of being deported, that's why they agreed.

thats not threat; they have a choice of going back home to avoid the humiliation: they accepted to be humiliated

They should have insisted no naked search and the Brits to produced exact reason why they are to be deported.

We should stop subjecting our selves to such rubbish.

Lesson to others.

You got to be assertive without being rude or abusive.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by KarmaMod(f): 4:45pm On Aug 19, 2008
and what does the Nigerian government instend to do about this?
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by Mustay(m): 4:51pm On Aug 19, 2008
KarmaMod:

and what does the Nigerian government instend to do about this?

MAYBE THEY'LL RAISE 100 MILLION KOBO TO GO TO LONDON AND LAUNCH A PROTEST
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by dudubobo1: 4:56pm On Aug 19, 2008
Mustay:

MAYBE THEY'LL RAISE 100 MILLION KOBO TO GO TO LONDON AND LAUNCH A PROTEST

he he he
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by busybody20: 6:16pm On Aug 19, 2008
At a point, one of them knelt down, asked me to open my legs wide while she looked deep into my private part.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm Story Story!!! This is not possible.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by deept(m): 6:24pm On Aug 19, 2008
thats sad really, something shoud be done about it.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by Seun(m): 6:25pm On Aug 19, 2008
Actually, it is very possible, because a lot of female drug couriers hide drugs in their private parts.

Nothing can be done about this.  Whenever you're traveling, just prepare your mind for anything.

I'm very sure the immigration officials do not enjoy kneeling down to search other women's privates.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by Nobody: 6:28pm On Aug 19, 2008
tell your friends and neighbours to stop carrying drugs.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by femiify(m): 6:44pm On Aug 19, 2008
i think this story is untrue, and let me justify why i say that
1, immigration officials dont carry out searches for drugs, its the customs officers.
2, immigration officers will not threaten foreign nationals with deprotation if they are not searched.
3, how did the know that these women were nigerian nationals.
4, both internal and external drug searches can be easily carried out without you taking off your clothes
5, and even if they are gonna strip you naked, a consent form is signed stating that you agreed to the search and not a deprotation threat. common peps this is europe where noone is above the law. even immigration officials they can be sued and arrested.
6, we all know the press excalate stories sometimes.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by Hannibal: 6:56pm On Aug 19, 2008
femiify:

i think this story is untrue, and let me justify why i say that
1, immigration officials don't carry out searches for drugs, its the customs officers.
2, immigration officers will not threaten foreign nationals with deprotation if they are not searched.
3, how did the know that these women were nigerian nationals.
4, both internal and external drug searches can be easily carried out without you taking off your clothes
5, and even if they are going to strip you naked, a consent form is signed stating that you agreed to the search and not a deprotation threat. common peps this is europe where noone is above the law. even immigration officials they can be sued and arrested.
6, we all know the press excalate stories sometimes.

The stories could be TRUE.

If there has been a tip-off prior to that particular aircraft landing. . . . . .A strip-search can be carried out.
Many people have tried putting llello in their body crevices and stuffs in the past so u cannot really blame these officers for doing their job.
This is not limited to Nigerians only. . . . .It extends to many South American nationals like Columbia, Cuba and peops with track records of traffiking.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by sylve11: 7:11pm On Aug 19, 2008
folahann:

They were under threat of being deported, that's why they agreed. This is so sad in the 21st century

Dear i think you are saying the right thing.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by Imani(f): 7:18pm On Aug 19, 2008
In times like these, you just wonder what use is the Nigerian foreign office. The Embassy in London does nothing at all for Nigerians in the UK. I am always ashamed to go there sometimes as sometimes both staff and customers forget their manners and behave as if they are in Oshodi market.

Like I have always said, we can complain from now till thy kingdom come, until we place some value on our citizens, others will keep taking advantage.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by QLee: 7:29pm On Aug 19, 2008
I'm sorry but this lady's story is soooooooooooo ridiculous. In an era where gadgets are being used to check if you swallowed something, why would anyone ask you to strip- cause you are so fine! In anycase, you do not need to be stark naked for this to happen. She needs a life writing for ikebe super or something. Besides you have rights and in order for me to believe, I need the names of your searchers- I bet they had on name tags. Except ofcourse some scam artist got you!
Why comeout and talk anyway if you want to stay anonymous- take it to the full extent of the law if its the truth.
Stupid story. I'm sure journalists should not print stories they cannot verify. If 'Punch' did this, then SHAME ON YOU PUNCH !!!!!
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by 1luvkipsus: 8:07pm On Aug 19, 2008

Why? What if they have drugs hidden in their private parts? Lets not be sentimental here please. The British Officers don't hate Nigerians, its just that we are so crooked and decietful.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by 1luvkipsus: 8:10pm On Aug 19, 2008
I believe she was strip-searched, yes.

But, I doubt it happened the way she said.
And, as for the official kneeling down to look up into her, that's rubbish!

People have been known to get stripped for searching, if they're suspected of carrying drugs, it's not new, and not limited to Nigerians.
Jamaicans and Turkish travellers are sometimes stripped, how often do we hear them moan?
Nigerians have a tendency to over-exaggerate things, and embellish the actual facts, hoping to gain public sympathy and support.

They had a choice to refuse, if they didn't want to be searched.
The other option was to get back onto the plane, and be returned to Nigeria.

You are too much my friend. Keep telling the truth, although its always bitter.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by rasputinn(m): 8:13pm On Aug 19, 2008
CAVITY CHECK;Like I always say,instead of me to submit to any form of disguised sexual abuse in the form of cavity check,I'll opt to go back home and launch a massive propaganda campaign against the erring authorities and their reps
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by lonelypal(m): 8:37pm On Aug 19, 2008
1luvkipsus:

Why? What if they have drugs hidden in their private parts? Lets not be sentimental here please. The British Officers don't hate Nigerians, its just that we are so crooked and decietful.

I quite agree with u there, Nigerians are damn too crooked, they ve done d unthinkable as far as crime and money is concerned. We asked for it afterall the lady in question was inpected by female immigration officials.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by fotodaddy: 9:24pm On Aug 19, 2008
Whats the big deal if you look suspicious or fit the profile of a drug carrier. Open your leg wide and say AHHHHH!!!! Let the balls of coco drop off.

Na wah for us Black man. Persin no fit search another persin again. grin grin

If them no like am make them sue the British Govt or the officers. No be them say them wan go UK. For naija police go do them the same thing and them no go talk.

No be Fela talk say 'them go beat you with cane you go dey look like donkey'

Black man, wise up. Na you dey do yourself
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by RichyBlacK(m): 9:43pm On Aug 19, 2008
Would those British retards humiliate Soccer Mom Nancy from Iowa that way? E no fit happen! Na for Naija people body dem power dey show.
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:36pm On Aug 19, 2008
I don't know what techniques are used in checking people but there is some truth in it though, who I blame na the women jo
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by ty4real(m): 11:41pm On Aug 19, 2008
No comment for Now!
Re: Stripped Completely By British Immigration Officials by agaba123(m): 11:56pm On Aug 19, 2008
Going by the reports we get from Nigerian news media about NDLEA catching our women with cocaine in their privates, can you blame the UK immigration officials for this report here?

Are they not the ones giving the wrong signals that all of our women are private part drug couriers?
http://odili.net/news/source/2008/aug/19/410.html
It is embarrasing what we have been subjected to and what some people have forced others to be subjected to.
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200808183333628 . . .Punch reported this yesterday
the same story has been carried before cannot say if it is punch or not. I could not search it out.

When I searched punch, the said the said the story is more than 14 days old and can only be seen in their archive meaning it is punch that reported it before. Why carry it again? because they wanted to make it a prelude to the information of today?

It is unfortunate for our media and the drug traffickers.
Meanwhile, how do the NDLEA search out the drug from their private part? |Is it not the same method? if they have a less dehumanising method, they should invite the UK immigration for training. If not why did Punch not report that one?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Stability Returns After Completion Of Repair Works On Agege Rail Track / Help!!! Directions To Nysc Camp Lagos From Oshodi / Us Visa: Can I ''right'' My Wrong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.