Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,660 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:58 PM

We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal (1893 Views)

BREAKING! Morocco 2014: Okagbare Wins Nigeria’s First Gold Medal / Chioma Ajunwa (First Olympic Gold Medalist) Delivers Triplets / Tattoo Map Shows British Olympic Gold Medallist Is A Proud Nigerian. Pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by Queenisha: 7:18pm On Aug 19, 2008
This could have been our gold.
Nigerian gold medal but no
She's British.
so annoying

Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by Queenisha: 7:19pm On Aug 19, 2008
Christine Ohuruogu won Olympic 400m gold for Britain with a stunning surge down the home straight in Beijing.
The 24-year-old crossed the line in 49.62 seconds to eclipse Jamaica's Shericka Williams and American title favourite Sanya Richards.
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by Uche2nna(m): 7:20pm On Aug 19, 2008
And na Igbo girl angry At least from the name
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by Hannibal: 7:22pm On Aug 19, 2008
Get over with. . . . .
Nigeria don't cater for these athletes the way they should be taken care of.
U woulda done the same so ignore henceforth.
Francis Obikwelu is now Portugese. . . . .
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by Queenisha: 7:25pm On Aug 19, 2008
It was another incredible twist to her comeback story after she was banned for 12 months in 2006 for missing three random drug tests.

She returned to win the world title in Osaka last summer but still had to launch an appeal against the British Olympic Association's automatic lifetime ban for anyone found guilty of a doping offence.

Having threatened to switch allegiance to Nigeria if the ban was upheld, Ohuruogu was successful in her appeal and cleared to run for Team GB in Beijing. After a disappointing first four days of Olympic competition for Britain, athletics chiefs will be mighty grateful that she won her case.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/2585053/Olympics-Christine-Ohuruogus-400m-gold-gives-Britain-its-greatest-Games-since-1908.html
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by Queenisha: 7:27pm On Aug 19, 2008
Hannibal:

Get over with. . . . .
Nigeria don't cater for these athletes the way they should be taken care of.
You woulda done the same so ignore henceforth.
Francis Obikwelu is now Portugese. . . . .

There was another folayemi somebody that ran for Netherlands.
Thank God he came last just like that coconut headed obikwelu grin
they should be ashamed of themselves.
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by Uche2nna(m): 7:34pm On Aug 19, 2008
Queenisha:

grin

However, like the last post mentioned, these guys should not be blamed. The Christine of a girl would not have smelt bronze if she was in the Olympics representing Nigeria.

Early, intensive and sustained preparation count in any tournament (ask China) but sadly Nigerian officials are yet to learn that.
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by onyinye2(f): 7:38pm On Aug 19, 2008
Yal act like this is something new. Why shouldn't she have gone where she would be recognized and paid for the hardwork she has done. I mean yal act like this is something new. look at France, Italy, Great Britain, United States, Canada, and so on and so forth. These people know that Nigerian talent is an asset to their team so they go and offer them a deal way better than Nigeria will ever even be sincere enough to think of.
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by Hannibal: 7:43pm On Aug 19, 2008
Queenisha:

Ashamed?? I dont think so. . . . .
They were let down by their own government so what do u expect??
These men and women need allowance and intensive training to keep up with their counterparts all over the world.
Nuthing like that exists in Nigeria. . . .Haven't u heard of Nigerian government deserting Nigerian players in foreign lands when they fail to WIN?
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by KarmaMod(f): 7:44pm On Aug 19, 2008
with a face like the Rice Krispies soldiers, I'm glad she's claiming Britain instead
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by A40(m): 7:45pm On Aug 19, 2008
Who cares na she go first change nationality? Obikwelu,Alozie,Idowu Phillips and the like we dont treat our sportsmen and women well so dont blame them for all we know she might have been born there.I am so sad my baby momma Sanya Richards embarassed didnt win though
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by Uche2nna(m): 7:48pm On Aug 19, 2008
KarmaMod:

with a face like the Rice Krispies soldiers, I'm glad she's claiming Britain instead

Who cares about her face (at least in this contest) . She is contesting in the Olympics and not some beauty pageant.
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by manmustwac(m): 7:49pm On Aug 19, 2008
@post
wetin dey do u sef? she was born and brought up in england but is of nigerian parentage. She is a British Nigerian she has every right to run for Britain. Where u get your information from.
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by onyinye2(f): 7:50pm On Aug 19, 2008
manmustwac:

@post
wetin dey do u sef? she was born and brought up in england but is of nigerian parentage. She is a British Nigerian she has every right to run for Britain. Where u get your information from. IDIOT!
No need for name calling. Jeez cool your jets.
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by KarmaMod(f): 7:52pm On Aug 19, 2008
I do Uche. I dont want that face representing Nigeria. If you have a problem with that, you can always cry in the corner cool

manmustwac:

@post
wetin dey do u sef? she was born and brought up in england but is of nigerian parentage. She is a British Nigerian she has every right to run for Britain. Where u get your information from. IDIOT!

Was that really necessary?

I perosnally cant stand the whole "British with Nigerian parentage" nonsense. It's so stupid.
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by Uche2nna(m): 7:56pm On Aug 19, 2008
KarmaMod:

I do Uche. I don't want that face representing Nigeria. If you have a problem with that, you can always cry in the corner cool

Was that really necessary?

I perosnally can't stand the whole "British with Nigerian parentage" nonsense. It's so stupid.

Yeah, not in a beauty pageant. But in the Olympics , hell yes. As far ,as she gat the legs. Na face I go chop cheesy

@ Manmustwac

U can make ur point without the insults cool
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by Queenisha: 7:57pm On Aug 19, 2008
manmustwac:

@post
wetin dey do u sef? she was born and brought up in england but is of nigerian parentage. She is a British Nigerian she has every right to run for Britain. Where u get your information from.

at least you had the commonsense to modify your post wink

I was just about to go all Okija on your behind
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by manmustwac(m): 8:02pm On Aug 19, 2008
@post
sorry about the insults. no mind me kiss
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by Vieira(m): 8:19pm On Aug 19, 2008
1. A person born and raised in a country will always have some connection to that country.

2. A person who wants to excel in a sport will want to train with the best facilities and coaches around.

She has chosen the path that will lead her to gold, kudos to her.

When as a nation we are take athletes and other sports seriously and reward accordingly, you will see more athletes deciding to stick with nigeria and win gold for us.
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by Hannibal: 8:28pm On Aug 19, 2008
Vieira:

1. A person born and raised in a country will always have some connection to that country.

2. A person who wants to excel in a sport will want to train with the best facilities and coaches around.

She has chosen the path that will lead her to gold, kudos to her.

When as a nation we are take athletes and other sports seriously and reward accordingly, you will see more athletes deciding to stick with nigeria and win gold for us.

PRICELESS!!!!
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by nazzyon(m): 8:42pm On Aug 19, 2008
@ Vieira
True talk.

Even athletes from other countries would love to be the citizen of such country. e.g USA, Portugal, Jamaica and others.

If the Ministry of Sports can improve then sports will not improve but will be more attractive to the Nigerian citizens.

OR

Only few will race or play for a country like Nigeria when they know that after they are injured the country will forget about them and which might lead to the end of their career.

AND

Not everyone will be happy to accept the miserable $3000 per player which NFA gives to footballers after a competition; when they have the opportunity of crossing over to another country that is ready to pay them multiples of such amount per match.
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by folahann(m): 8:56pm On Aug 19, 2008
Rubbish, if she were to be playing for Nigeria, she would never have stood a chance of winning anything at all, the government should be blamed for this mess
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by DeepZone: 9:46pm On Aug 19, 2008
Who cares about her face (at least in this contest) . She is contesting in the Olympics and not some beauty pageant.

I wonder. falilat Ogunkoya has a more dreadful face and i didn't see anybody complaining. Female athletes rarely look yummy anyway.
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by manmustwac(m): 10:12pm On Aug 19, 2008
folahann:

Rubbish, if she were to be playing for Nigeria, she would never have stood a chance of winning anything at all, the government should be blamed for this mess
CORRECT! Nigeria no dey encourage anybody. She fi no make the olympics if she had trained and grew up in nigeria due to lack of facilities and GOVT where no dey encourage person
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by 4Play(m): 10:13pm On Aug 19, 2008
Typical wowo Nigerian woman. grin
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by Nobody: 12:04am On Aug 20, 2008
4 Play:

Typical wowo Nigerian woman. grin
You this ant again. tongue

Typical Naija man embarassed
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by KarmaMod(f): 2:49am On Aug 20, 2008
4 Play:

Typical wowo British woman. grin

cool
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by Queenisha: 3:05am On Aug 20, 2008
don't mind all these guys that keep calling women wowo.
I'll love to attend their weddings
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by Olaolufred(m): 9:10am On Aug 20, 2008
Ohuruogu and others would have love to represent Nigeria. But,

There are too many buts.

Corruption: There are little or no sport administrators in the affair of sports.
                              what we have are politicians who are compesated by their party for
                              either good campaining or marshalling how riging was well articulated.

A politician in NIgeria knows only one thing, EMBEZZLEMENT.
                             They said they needed 800million Naira for Beijing olympic

Let me give a view of politician spendings if the money is disbursed:

Minister of Sport --------------------200 million
Permanent Sec. and Principal officer in the Ministry--------------------------------200 million

National Olympic Committee   ------------------------------------ ---------------------400million

Out of the 400million got by NOC

NOC Chairman --------------------------------------------------------------------------- 100 million
Remaining Committee Members-------------------------------------------------------200 million

Only the Remaining 100million will be available for the Athletes and their Coaches/trainers.
How do you expect result?
Nobody wants to be "jackey dey work, monkey dey shop" again.

I am not glad seeing our girls winning Gold for others, But it isn't their fault.
It is the corruption of our politician.
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by Mustay(m): 9:13am On Aug 20, 2008
DeepZone:

falilat Ogunkoya has a more dreadful face and i didn't see anybody complaining. Female athletes rarely look yummy anyway.

hmmm

so wetin her husyy see for that face?
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by EloSela(f): 11:28am On Aug 20, 2008
Born in the UK, fully educated from primary school to university level in the UK, trained in the UK with a UK coach and they should represent Nigeria. . .

When will Nigeria learn that they can not and should not expect to benefit from another country's hard work? Just because Christine's parents happened to run away from Nigeria years ago and settle in another country it doesn't give Nigeria any automatic claim on their children. After all if the Nigeria hadn't been in such a despicable state they probably wouldn't have left in the first place! abi? grin grin grin
Re: We've Been Robbed Of Our Olympic Gold Medal by MrCrackles(m): 11:33am On Aug 20, 2008
Una never halla for Nigeria! grin make una go snatch the Gold naw, at least that we can do well in Nigeria plus corruption and 419!

Dat is what Nigeria gets for being a stupid and dysfunctional country!

Ezinne Opkaraebo ran for Norway in the 100metres, although she didnt win a medal but she was better than the Nigeria girls, why?!!!!!! grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Expensive Transfer Of All Time / Hot!!! 2.27 odds Hurry Now and WIN again / � Hot Expert Betting Tips For Today 14/10/17

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.