Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,196 members, 7,953,717 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:32 AM

Baba, The Oldest Student At LASU - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Baba, The Oldest Student At LASU (1703 Views)

Google Honors The Oldest Student Ever -KIMANI MARUGE, With A Doodle / Pregnant At 18, Best Graduating Student At 25 / Mass Failure Of Students On The Rise At LASU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Baba, The Oldest Student At LASU by Queenisha: 3:36am On Aug 22, 2008
Baba's Life, As LASU’s Oldest Student

By PHILIP NWOSU; Tuesday, August 19, 2008

He walks calmly and greets anyone who meets him on the way with a smile and sometimes a handshake. His briefcase and grey hair which he often covers with a skull cap present him as a lecturer and some who do not know him, believe he is one, while others see him as one of the many visitors who throng the Lagos State University (LASU) Ojo for one thing or the other.

But Pa Alimi Olarenwaju Amodu who clocked 71 on August 3, 2008 calmly and quickly told Daily Sun: "I am a student here; I study Sociology and let me tell you, I am the youngest undergraduate on campus. My Children pay my school fees."

The septuagenarian fondly called the Youngest undergraduate believes age has nothing to do with acquiring knowledge. In fact, it makes no meaning to him that he is older than Prof. Lateef Hussain, the Vice-Chancellor. What is really important to Pa Amodu is the Bachelor of Science degree in Sociology he is pursuing and which he revealed, will make him a fulfilled man.

His love for education and the encouragement given to him by the expatriates he had worked with was the driving force that led him to move from his standard six level of education which he obtained in the 40s to an Ordinary Level credits he got from the General Certificate of Education (GCE) examinations in 1987.

Pa Amodu in an interview with Daily Sun spoke passionately about his quest for education and life as a LASU student.

His determination to acquire a degree in sociology accounts for the dexterity and eagerness with which he carries himself among his course mates, most of whom are as young as his grandchildren.
But Pa Amodu said he is not discouraged by the age of his course mates explaining that this is part of what motivates him to carry on.

He said: "That is the good thing about the whole project. Honestly, being in the midst of these children, either in the lecture hall or outside the class, is like a tonic which renews my energy and also boosts my interest to study. With them I sometimes forget my age."

Amodu admitted that it was not easy initially continuing with the programme, especially when he could not cope with the academic rigours as his age took a toll on him.
According to him, he would struggle to get to the school early to occupy a choice position in the class seating arrangement, but nature, is no respecter of man, as he would doze off soon after the lecture had started.

He said: "But one of my lecturers, Akeem Akinwale, who is now teaching in the University of Ibadan, caught me when I was in 100 Level and advised that I should not take a heavy breakfast before coming to class. He said that would prevent me from sleeping. I tried it and it worked. Now I can receive lectures for as many periods as possible without dozing."

It was an embarrassing moment for Pa Amodu which made him unhappy. He said: "People would see me as an unserious student, if that is what I want to do in the class, why did I seek admission? And how will I get what the lecturer is teaching when I am sleeping? So, I see no reason why I should come and waste my time here sleeping in the class." He made up his mind to avoid any distraction in class and it paid off.

Today, he is happy, serious and attentive in class. The source of his determination is what Pa Amodu cannot even readily explain. However, he recounts how he was denied the opportunity to go beyond the then Standard Six, which he completed in 1951.

"My father said enough was enough, that he would not sponsor me beyond Standard Six. I even did not start school until when I was 10 years old. Some teachers had to persuade my father before he could release me. He was satisfied with having me on the farm, making hundreds of heaps at my age," he said.
Pa Amodu explained that the denial was the reason he decided to study Sociology, so as to understand the workings of man in relation to his environment and the society at large.

Excited that the programme is going on smoothly, Amodu said: "I am happy to tell you that, as a 400-level student, I now know much about man and the society.

You know the scope which Sociology covers is wide. That is what makes it my natural course. You study politics, economy and even law there. And my lecturers are good. They give us the best and also encourage us to do research."

Recounting his journey towards getting a degree, Pa Amodu said: "It started in 1945 when I took the standard six examinations and passed the examination in 1952 and that carried me till 1987 when I took the O’Level GCE which I also passed.”

“Before that time, I was working with the University College Hospital (UCH) from 1958 and I was later transferred to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) in 1962.
“You see, I decided to go for a degree programme, because when I was at LUTH, I was not promoted because I did not have the necessary qualification.”

"Then if you had no paper qualification, they won’t promote you and there won’t be much regard for you. I worked with expatriates and they encouraged me to read so that I can be promoted. And immediately I got my papers, I was promoted from Clerical Assistant to Clerical Officer, Senior Clerical Officer and later Assistant Executive Officer in charge of records and finally I was promoted Coordinator of Consultant Clinic. All these happened after I obtained O’ level credits in English, Economics, Commerce, Business Method and Mathematics.”

Without disrespecting his lecturers, Pa Amodu said his motivation to study comes from them, explaining that the whole thing started when he visited his son who is a lecturer.

"Each time I visit my child who is a lecturer at Lead University here in Lagos, I would go to the library of the school to read. My and name is Dr Akeem Amodu, he was formally at the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) my son studied Metaphysics. After reading books in the library, I saw that I could undergo university education without any problem.

So, I told my son that if this is what they study in university, that there is no problem because I think I can do it. And he encouraged me saying that I should go for any course I want to study, if I so desire. And that was the reason I chose to study Sociology at the Lagos State University. And luckily for me then, the Head of Department of Sociology encouraged me with some books."

Speaking on the admission process, he said: "This was a very rigorous process because there was no preferential treatment given to me by anybody. Three professors interviewed me and were asking me all sorts of questions. I answered all the questions and was able to impress them. I started from 100 level in 2004 and today, I am now in 400 level with no carry over so far. It is not that the lecturers are helping me to scale through, in fact they are not joking with me in anyway. There was a day they seized my phone for three days. My phone was ringing when we were in class then, the lecturer said, ‘Baba, your phone is ringing, don’t you know you are in class and should switch off your phone.”

This made the lecturer seize my phone for three days. But I am not bothered. I have taken steps to comply with the regulations and I no longer switch on my phone while lectures are on. There was a day I was sleeping in class and a lecturer Dr Akeem Akinwale, he is now at University of Ibadan, was lecturing us on introduction to sociology and he said ‘Baba stand up, you are sleeping in the class’ and I apologized and he advised that when I am coming to school I should not eat heavy food, because it is the heavy food that is making me sleep in class. Since then, I have learnt to take light food when coming to school.”

I am coping very well and I apply all sorts of techniques to excel. Here you have to work hard to succeed, it is not cheap and easy, but the only thing I enjoy is that the lecturers help to explain things to you and sometimes I attend tutorial lectures."

As a septuagenarian how does he relate with younger lecturers and students? Hear him: "I am not embarrassed at all, we relate very well. The lecturers address me as Baba, and sometimes when I go round to see them, they will be saying ‘Baba good morning’ but when in class, they treat me like they treat other students. If they ask questions and I say anything that is not correct, they will quickly correct me. I see my fellow students, as colleagues and they accord me all the respect. I have no other job than to come to library in the morning and by 3pm get to the classroom and in the library, I search for materials on all the courses and when I get to the class, the students are waiting to get some of what I got from the Library."

Baba also receives encouragement from his wife who is really proud of him. "My wife really likes what I am doing now because she always wants me to be busy with something. It appears tedious, but I will not say that the road is far. I want to complete this, and later I will go for Masters and thereafter pursue a doctorate," he said.
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpage, 8-2008-001.htm
Re: Baba, The Oldest Student At LASU by Queenisha: 3:41am On Aug 22, 2008
This man deserves an award.
He's proven that the sky's the limit to anyone who dares to try
Re: Baba, The Oldest Student At LASU by Madea19(f): 11:33am On Aug 22, 2008
Mehhnn,dis is really amazing.

DETERMINATION, DEFINITELY LEADS TO SUCCESS
Re: Baba, The Oldest Student At LASU by DDN: 8:06pm On Aug 22, 2008
baba, 1gbosa 4 u. i pray that God should give u the strenght 2 continue and u achieve all that u wish urself.
am sure u will not write GSE 2 get a job. hahaha,

other men and women, learn 4rm baba and his family.
Re: Baba, The Oldest Student At LASU by poor2rich: 5:25pm On Aug 23, 2008
Baba has proven to we all that nothing is impossible. Even when we somethings says" the time has past" we are only saying we can't do it. Time don't past by in the dictionary of some people like Baba. This is a rear triat that is found in great people. if we all appy this to anyhthing we are doing we alway overcome all odd even the scarciets resources"time''.

it mean if it is not too late to learn then , i believe poor men are lazy poeple becuase it can never be too late to be rich.

Get rich or die trying!!!
Re: Baba, The Oldest Student At LASU by Queenisha: 8:43pm On Aug 23, 2008
poor2rich:

Baba has proven to we all that nothing is impossible. Even when we somethings says" the time has past" we are only saying we can't do it. Time don't past by in the dictionary of some people like Baba. This is a rear triat that is found in great people. if we all appy this to anyhthing we are doing we alway overcome all odd even the scarciets resources"time''.

it mean if it is not too late to learn then , i believe poor men are lazy poeple becuase it can never be too late to be rich.

Get rich or die trying!!!

Gbam!!

(1) (Reply)

Jamb 2011 Statistics Breakdown / Obafemi Awolowo And Convenant University Rank 10th And 87th In Africa / The Secret Of Past Questions (jamb)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.