Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,696 members, 7,820,429 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input (2257 Views)

Medjai Is The Official Sports Section Poster Of The Year - 2010. Congratulobia! / Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently / Jackal: An Asset Or A Nuisance To The Sports Section? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by Seun(m): 7:03pm On Aug 24, 2008
I would like to thank the longstanding members for their contributions. Do you have any ideas on how we can improve this section?

I have a vision for a bigger, more vibrant forum where every match involving popular teams such as Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Super Eagles, Eaglets, Dream team, etc is discussed at length. Before the match: predictions, analysis. During the match: live coverage, analysis. After the match: comments, more analysis. What do you think about that one? Thanks.
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by tosinadeda: 7:48pm On Aug 24, 2008
ok now i get wut the multiple threads are all about cool
wont be a bad idea ,if such threads can be deleted after like say 3days after the match
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by bolaoni(m): 9:38pm On Aug 24, 2008
I am sure we have ALWAYS been doing that Oga Seun.

Take time to go through the threads on the teams and you will see for yourself wink
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by SeanT21(f): 11:08pm On Aug 24, 2008
Have different sections:

1. Olympic section: Everything olympics
2. Foreign sports: Sports like basketball, american football, etc
3. Matches- The hottest sports matches of the week or month
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by onyinye2(f): 11:11pm On Aug 24, 2008
I agree with everything SeanT said. Foreign sports needs its own section.
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by Nobody: 2:36am On Aug 25, 2008
bolaoni:

I am sure we have ALWAYS been doing that Oga Seun.

Take time to go through the threads on the teams and you will see for yourself wink

Fully in agreement. Look through the Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal threads . . . what Seun advocates takes place there every match day. Who wants a thread on Stoke city vs Hull?
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by Hardar4lag(m): 8:11am On Aug 25, 2008
I agree with what you all say and also i have my own contribution and my contribution is this i think anybody who guess rite abt the team who is going to win shuld be given a price. But i know is not only one person that will win but is going to be picked randomly like ten pple.
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by wilfred84(m): 11:06am On Aug 25, 2008
Great ideal
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by Hardar4lag(m): 11:58am On Aug 25, 2008
@wilfred great idea to who
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by debosky(m): 12:22pm On Aug 25, 2008
onyinye2:

I agree with everything SeanT said. Foreign sports needs its own section.
so what 'local' sports would fill the main section? undecided arm wrestling at the beer parlour? grin grin

I think this is a good initiative by Seun, it makes us feel we are all part and parcel of the improvement process for Nairaland. cool

I suggest we create match-day threads for major clashes such as Man Utd - Arsenal, Liverpool - Chelsea and the like, people who aren't hardcore fans can come to these threads and get a sense of the rivalry and excitement in these football games even without visiting the established fan threads.

After that, we can have threads on interesting Champions League games every matchday for analysis and discourse too.

we should find a way to get other sports more popular as well.
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by JeSoul(f): 5:36pm On Aug 25, 2008
Instead of seperating by foreign or local sports, I think there should be a seperate section for "Soccer" only (as its the most popular sport here) and leave all the other sports in another section. I tire of digging thru all the soccer threads for the NFL & NBA topics.

Since all the Arsenal and ManU people already discuss their games in the two main threads, creating a thread for each match will be too voluminous, perhaps you can only create new topics for the major matches? and then lock it few days after the match is thru?
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by JeSoul(f): 5:42pm On Aug 25, 2008
SeanT21:

Have different sections:

I don't think there's a need for an olympics section . . . it happens only once in 4 yrs.
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by FOD(m): 7:10pm On Aug 25, 2008
I agree with Debo, creating threads for major matches and tournaments, not just football, would create more awareness. Comments after matches/upcoming matches, off-the-field/court news can be talked about on the main threads.
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by Seun(m): 8:37pm On Aug 25, 2008
Instead of seperating by foreign or local sports, I think there should be a seperate section for "Soccer" only
Nice idea. Thanks.

SeanT21:

Have different sections:
Thanks. This would work: Football Matches, Etc -> Soccer.  Olympics + Other Sports -> Sports.

tosinadeda:
ok now i get what the multiple threads are all about cool
won't be a bad idea, if such threads can be deleted after like say 3 days after the match
Thanks. Hmm, what if you need to refer to a match sometime in the future? For research purposes?
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by javaprince(m): 9:19am On Aug 26, 2008
Seun its very simple. By now, Football should be a Child BOard Considering the number of Posts and activities. Even Arsenal has more post than all the other sports put together. But Really, there is need for proper planning and restructuring . And one of the easiest way to go about that is Make Soccer a Child Board and Please MOVE OUR TOPICS THERE. As most ppl would not be interested in Restarting a TOPIC they already Created.
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by rikkyjen(m): 4:58am On Aug 27, 2008
Seun opening this thread and asking us for any belated opinion reminds me of the maradonic days of IBB. IBB would deliberately put the nation on a wild goose chase while organizing a national discourse on an issue.

However, what he's going to do is right on his mind and no matter the outcome of the hithertho discourse, IBB would do what he would do and Seun, the Khalifa of Nairaland would also do what he's going to do too.

@ Seun

Why would a thread be opened for every game? are you also talking about Hannover 96 Vs Bochum? The sports section already has it Big 4 thread, 98% of the suppourters  here post in those threads. Little wonder you and Folahan began contesting for who can open the most threads in a micro-second.

What a repulsive and grotesque way of improving the sports section. Imagine, opening a United V Portsmouth thread, and Fulham Vs Arsenal thread, when an existing thread of Arsenal and United is there for all to post in. It seems you don't know your way around the footie section.

Buddy, I'll suggest you carve the sports section out of the main Nairaland forum and auction it off. Trust me, it would fetch you an handsome reward even more than what you would have earned from the web traffic and Ads revenues if its still part of Nairaland ( Could the web traffic be the reason why you want forumers to churn out bogus threads like the way Nigerian Universities churn out intellectual-deficit people) ?
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by KunleOshob(m): 1:32pm On Aug 27, 2008
You could introduce online sports lottery, lottery is one of the most popular aspects of sports in europe and america.
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by bluehorizo(m): 1:45pm On Aug 27, 2008
Make sure that the top 4 threads are sticked up and one would not have to take days searching for Chelsea,Manure,Ashana and liverbull threads.
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by TONDO: 8:17pm On Aug 27, 2008
I'm sorry seou were are u from please? and y are ormeding person in dis nairaland? pls if a,m offended sory, is bcs of am new in dis, and is for lean.
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by SeanT21(f): 11:05pm On Aug 27, 2008
TONDO:

I'm sorry seou were are u from please? and y are ormeding person in this nairaland? please if a,m offended sory, is bcs of am new in this, and is for lean.

Well, How can I explain this,

Here we go,

WITHOUT SEUN, NAIRALAND WILL NOT EXIST!!!

HE IS THE OWNER!!!
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by codedguy1(m): 9:16am On Aug 28, 2008
rikkyjen:

Seun opening this thread and asking us for any belated opinion reminds me of the maradonic days of IBB. IBB would deliberately put the nation on a wild goose chase while organizing a national discourse on an issue.

However, what he's going to do is right on his mind and no matter the outcome of the hithertho discourse, IBB would do what he would do and Seun, the Khalifa of Nairaland would also do what he's going to do too.

@ Seun

Why would a thread be opened for every game? are you also talking about Hannover 96 Vs Bochum? The sports section already has it Big 4 thread, 98% of the suppourters here post in those threads. Little wonder you and Folahan began contesting for who can open the most threads in a micro-second.

What a repulsive and grotesque way of improving the sports section. Imagine, opening a United V Portsmouth thread, and Fulham Vs Arsenal thread, when an existing thread of Arsenal and United is there for all to post in. It seems you don't know your way around the footie section.

Buddy, I'll suggest you carve the sports section out of the main Nairaland forum and auction it off. Trust me, it would fetch you an handsome reward even more than what you would have earned from the web traffic and Ads revenues if its still part of Nairaland ( Could the web traffic be the reason why you want forumers to churn out bogus threads like the way Nigerian Universities churn out intellectual-deficit people) ?

Seun, please regurgitate on this for like 1week. cos this is the best advice you can/will get.
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by wormedup(m): 1:45pm On Aug 28, 2008
lol,

They will eventually get tired of creating threads ! trust me grin

My people say, " you do not disect the water yam with a strong heart" ! tongue tongue

such things don't last.
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by sisqology(m): 7:00pm On Aug 29, 2008
Hmmm, i can do!
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by Ifelaj93(m): 9:45pm On Aug 29, 2008
grin I agree with you. Sports section is the koko.
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by Seun(m): 6:46pm On Sep 01, 2008
This section is not enjoying the kind of football traffic that the ghanaweb forum enjoys.
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by wormedup(m): 8:24am On Sep 02, 2008
Seun:

This section is not enjoying the kind of football traffic that the ghanaweb forum enjoys.

yeah right ! ghanaweb using half of their football section to diss Nigeria; Seun we are not jobless !!!
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by JUNIT1(m): 5:43pm On Sep 04, 2008
polls,who gonna win e.t.c, predict the score, e.t.c wink
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by nateevs(m): 9:10pm On Sep 06, 2008
Good point Seun. . Nice you brought it up, because I have been thinking about this for a long time.

How about we have separate sub-threads under each major thread for club-footie fans.

E.g.
Chelsea Fans Identify yourseves here.
         Chelsea player Transfer News and rumours.
         Chelsea Matchday Live (Pre and post match analysis and reactions)
         Chelsea reserves news, Injury update, academy etc.

As you access the main thread you find these sub-threads.

This way, general club gist goes on in the main forum . . Rivalry and support can be expressed fullest in this thread . .
The sub-threads represent strictly what they say in the title . .
Pre and post match analysis, MOTM polls, predictions and all related stuff can go together. .
Team News, Players Stats (Goals, assists, passes, profile). .
Fans can know about who is injured and in one single thread without having to filter through it. . . Reserve and academy news will be much closer to the average fan. .
Becos we know what the fan wants and where to find it, getting to the root of gists and researches become fairly easy since each thread is a stand-alone. .

Also the sports section becomes more interactive . . there might also be a need for each sub-thread to have it's own MOD to make sure the appropriate posts go into the right sub-threads. .

I think the number pages on a thread is irrelevant if concrete info can be gathered from it quickly. .
So if every sub-thread can make only 5 pages in 5years, then it's easy to refer to 5years in a flash. . .

Hope this makes sense!!
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by Hannibal: 9:42pm On Sep 06, 2008
@ Nateevs,

I agree with u 100%.

Individual Club threads should be made a bit more interactive.
There should be sub-threads like a menu on each Club thread.

Reserve/Youth Forum
Match day Forum
Football player's discussion(international engagements, charities and debates)
Transfer Forum.
General discussion Forum should be included too. . . where classic threads/comments can be stored for reference.
Each club thread may/may not have a moderator.
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by smile4kenn(m): 4:39pm On Sep 07, 2008
Creating more sections will make it hard for us to read. Look at the foreign politics section you created, its not regularly updated.

Its easier for us to read all types of sports on one section. The sport section is a typical section with good standards. I also visit other forums, but nairaland sports section still remains the best to me.

Seun, please leave it the way it is now.
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by congoshine(m): 8:35pm On Sep 07, 2008
Seun still de? shocked

Tot he'd eloped? undecided
Re: Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input by Seun(m): 4:37pm On Sep 09, 2008
I will leave it for a while. I don't plan to create a subforum for sports yet because it won't get any traffic.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Get Alerted As "Nepa Brings Light" And Turn Off Your Generator / Please How Can I Tune To Radio Biafra From Asaba? / The First Man In Nigeria To Travel Round The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.