Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,698 members, 7,823,968 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? (2116 Views)

Causes Of Drowning In Swimming Pool, River Etc.. / When Did Nigerians Start Being So Passionate About D SUPER EAGLES? / Will Nigerians Watch The Nation Cup Live On Local TV? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by lakeisha: 9:46am On Aug 27, 2008
i was expecting our country to take part in the swimming events of the just concluded olympics, 2008.
with all the abundant water recourses we have in this country, iexpect us to have expert swimmers to represent us both in and out side the country.
i feel our niger-delta militants should take up this challenge and stop fighting for only oil resources. undecided
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by wilfred84(m): 9:52am On Aug 27, 2008
@poster, may be 2040 grin grin grin grin nigeria uuuuuuuuuh i laugh water commot for my yansh
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by ow11(m): 2:50pm On Aug 27, 2008
When the govt build and maintains olympic standard pools and hire good coaches, even Non ND people would be swimming.
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by MrCrackles(m): 2:53pm On Aug 27, 2008
when swimming pools stop being a luxurious accessory available to the rich only! grin

but the truth of the matter is that we cant never be good enough!!!!!!it is a harsh reality!
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by 9ja4eva: 5:54pm On Aug 27, 2008
We should be champions in :

Seriously we need to take swimming serious.We could win a gold medal in that.

Ijaw go finish d pool
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by Vieira(m): 12:21am On Aug 30, 2008
Blacks are genetically disadvantaged when it comes to swimming.

We generally tend to have denser bone and muscle structure than whites, hence making us less bouyant and need to use far more effort to generate the same speed as a less dense person.

I doubt if we will ever have a lot of world class swimmers.

It is like starting the race with weights on our backs!
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by tpia: 12:28am On Aug 30, 2008
Vieira:

I'm sure this can be disproved.

All Africans are not the same. They're as varied as any other race, if not more.
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by Vieira(m): 1:20am On Aug 30, 2008
tpia,

you are right we are not all the same.

All I am saying is that most africans are like that and the percentage that are not is small and hence a smaller number of people to choose from to excel in swimming,

This is also why africans are good at other physical sports and have an advantage over white people but you still see the occasional white person do well.

I am just saying that the odds are against it but odds can be beaten.

If I asked you to bet if a white man or a black man will be the next person to break Bolt's record, what would you say?
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by iice(f): 2:43am On Aug 30, 2008
I kindda agree with Vieira though just based on observations

Besides, alot of people fear the water. Conquering the fear is a start.
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by folem: 8:08am On Aug 30, 2008
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by Priscila(f): 9:54am On Aug 30, 2008
Frankly,
I was more than shocked and elated to see a kenyan swimmer one Mr.Dunford or something like that in the finals
He also broke a world record in his heat at semi-finals.I had never seen an African swimmer in a global final I swear.If kenyans can swim, Nigerians can swim even better.And one day Phelps Michael the fish will bite his nails.They just need a good training at the beaches especially away from Nigeria lol
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by bigfather(m): 5:47pm On Aug 30, 2008
And funny enough , we hav the ILAJES that can swim very well o !
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by bydot1(m): 10:58am On Aug 31, 2008
tongue i think its high time we pack all ilaje's to the olympics,lol! cheesy
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by bydot1(m): 11:01am On Aug 31, 2008
Then, gold will ours embarassed
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by doyin13(m): 11:36am On Aug 31, 2008
When the ijaws decide to substitute the pool for their guns
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by DisGuy: 1:35pm On Aug 31, 2008
is there any evidence Ijaw people can dominate swimming if we have the facilities?

living in a riverine area is not an automatic guarantee they will come tops even in nigeria!!

you need more than that!
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by DisGuy: 1:41pm On Aug 31, 2008
Vieira:

We generally tend to have denser bone and muscle structure than whites, hence making us less bouyant and need to use far more effort to generate the same speed as a less dense person.

I doubt if we will ever have a lot of world class swimmers.

this has never been proven!
there are some AA swimming in the USA teams they usually do the relay though
one thing thats obvious is that blacks generally don't have access(economically) to swimming facilities unlike
basketball courts and football fields where you don't need any sort of 'signing up' or parental support
unlike swimming where most athletes start at the age of 7, train for 4-5 days in a week
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by onyinye2(f): 1:50pm On Aug 31, 2008
Yeah if you live the USA and you is black you go by the rule of "Black folk don't swim." I promise you ask any black person be it: AA or African, they will say the exact same thing.
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by obongyi: 2:17am On Sep 01, 2008
They would just drown in the pool
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by tommyex(m): 10:06pm On Sep 01, 2008
When you correct your sentence
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by iice(f): 10:21am On Sep 02, 2008
Dis Guy:

is there any evidence Ijaw people can dominate swimming if we have the facilities?

living in a riverine area is not an automatic guarantee they will come tops even in nigeria!!

you need more than that!

If not we for don see enough hawaii people cheesy

onyinye2:

Yeah if you live the USA and you is black you go by the rule of "Black folk don't swim." I promise you ask any black person be it: AA or African, they will say the exact same thing.

Something too i noticed. You rarely see us in water sports or just simply playing in water sef. Fear is common.
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by lakeisha: 3:21pm On Sep 02, 2008
Quote from: tommyex on september 1, 2008, 10:06:52 pm
when you correct your sentence
Is that supposed to amuse me? sad sad
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by nana(f): 3:24pm On Sep 02, 2008
Blacks aren't good when it comes to swimming 'cause our body structure aint flexible. U have to be really flexible to be a good swimmer.Abeg,make una stick to the running, football et al.
Swimming is a No No No
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by grandjedi(m): 3:48pm On Sep 02, 2008
When MEND becomes mended,
     Naija's draught in swimming will be ended,
Phelps' dominance and pride upended,
By a Naija swimmer from mammy-water descended. grin cheesy grin
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by grandjedi(m): 3:59pm On Sep 02, 2008
wilfred84:

@poster,  may be 2040    grin   grin   grin   grin    nigeria uuuuuuuuuh i laugh water commot for my yansh

Haba, bros na diarrhoea be dat o!! grin grin
Hope say u no dey inside the same swimming pool wey i dey o wink cheesy grin grin
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by Mpele(m): 8:22am On Sep 03, 2008
Guys let's just accept that we can't swim. Blacks can't swim. South Africa and the US serve as a typical example. All the swimmers were white in both sides. I mean in South Africa we have swimming pools all over, even in predominantly in black areas, there are swimming pools but blacks will rather play Rugby, Cricket and soccer. In the US there are swimming pools all over but blacks there will rather play basketball, football and track athletics.

WE JUST CAN'T SWIM, ITS SO FUNNY.
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by Ifeniyi22(m): 10:37am On Sep 05, 2008
And blacks couldn't play golf before Tiger Woods neither could blacks play tennis before the Williams sisters.Yeah there was no way Asians could do well in the sprints let alone the hurdles,but a Chinese guy Liu Xiang excelled even breaking the world record at a point. Yao Ming ventured into no man's land when he became a star in the NBA.Sebastian Coe was a household in the long distance races even though he's British, (he isn't east African) grin grin cheesy cheesy
My point is NEVER SAY NEVER.Its basically in the mind.Men are running faster, getting stronger, endurance is stretched every day.Where there is a will, there is a way.We can swim,we have just never really wanted to let alone plan for it.
Every true success story especially in sports comes from adequate planning because practice makes perfect.We need to literally start catching these children young and stop coming back to the (stupid) drawing board which has refused to come up with any master plan after waiting for so long.
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by FBS: 11:14am On Sep 05, 2008
who says blacks can't swim and compete with the best? nonsense!!!! was a black guy not part of the usa olympic swimming team? he swam he did well.
Like ifeniyi22 said, it  takes investment, practice and things can be taking into perfection!

if and when the government and the people of naija are ready, we can compete in any sport, even mountain climbing or winter skiing!!!

enough said.
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by bawomolo(m): 2:55pm On Sep 10, 2008

lots of african americans who live in florida do swim. stop with the stereotypes.
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by Aiyetunje: 11:03am On Sep 11, 2008
Black man dey fear water pass anything! but i dont believe in stereotypes. . .anatomy & physiology helps but hard work, thorough preparation & determination are key ingredients 4 success. Tiger Woods proved us all wrong, Arthur Ashe proved blacks cld play tennis way before the Williams sisters were even conceived
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by thando(f): 4:49pm On Sep 11, 2008
geez priscila havent u heard of Roland Schoeman Ryk Neethling Zandburg Natalie du Toit Penny Heyns Biljoen.
Re: When Will Nigerians Start Take Part In Swimming Events? by MPEROR: 12:18pm On Apr 08, 2015
And mess up the hair do? only if there is a po po a feet away with a 58

(1) (Reply)

Manchester United Vs Southampton 3-2 - Highlights & Goals (download Video) / World Best Dad; Cristiano Ronaldo Takes His Son To School On His First Day / The Truth About Oliseh-enyeama Incident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.