Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,537 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

Formating A Desktop - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Formating A Desktop (949 Views)

What Is The Implication Of Frequently Formating Of A Laptop System / How To Convert A Memory Flash Drive To Serve As Window 7 Formating Disk Drive? / Backing Up Your Outlook Express Files Before Formating That System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Formating A Desktop by babalolas(m): 10:19am On Aug 30, 2008
hi nairalanders,

please i need a step by step procedure on how to format a desktop computer.

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR:

INSERTED THE XP CD

WENT TO SET -UP

CHANGE THE FIRST,SECOND AND THIRD BOOT TO CDROM

THE SYSTEM STILL REFUSE TO BOOT FROM THE CDROM
Re: Formating A Desktop by Bizzo: 12:02pm On Aug 30, 2008
I am guessing you have an XP or 2000 windows?

How to Format a Computer with Windows XP
To format a computer with Windows XP or 2000, insert Windows CD and restart your computer.

Your computer should automatically boot from the CD to the Windows Setup Main Menu.

At the Welcome to Setup page, press ENTER.

Press F8 to accept the Windows XP Licensing Agreement.

If an existing Windows XP installation is detected, you are prompted to repair it. To bypass the repair, press ESC.

Use the ARROW keys to select the partition or the unpartitioned space where you want to create a new partition. Press D to delete an existing partition, or press C to create a new partition.

Type the size in megabytes (MB) that you want to use for the new partition, and then press ENTER, or just press ENTER to create the partition with the maximum size.

Select the format option that you want to use for the partition (Recommended: NTFS), and then press ENTER.

After the Windows Setup program formats the partition, follow the instructions that appear on the screen to continue installing Windows.

let me know if you need more help. i got the information from this site:

http://www.whitecanyon.com/how-to-format-computer.php
Re: Formating A Desktop by inze(m): 8:14pm On Aug 30, 2008
@Bizzo,

You are both saying the same thing, I guess he knows the steps but can't get pass this OS to boot from CD.

@babasola

Are you sure you have a bootable cd? Try inserting the cd while the system is on and load it, then select "INstall Windows bla bla

And see if it works, if not, get another cd and if not, report back .
Re: Formating A Desktop by babalolas(m): 5:09pm On Sep 04, 2008
thanks alot inze and bizzo , but i have followed all this procedure, what i just discovered is that when the computer is on it can run from the CD rom but it just refuse to boot from the CD ROM. Thanks alot
Re: Formating A Desktop by TmeD0(m): 8:04pm On Sep 04, 2008
babalola s:

thanks alot inze and bizzo , but i have followed all this procedure, what i just discovered is that when the computer is on it can run from the CD rom but it just refuse to boot from the CD ROM. Thanks alot
If that's the case, then go ahead and format it from there.  inze's guess (same as mine) is dead spot on the money.  The CD is not a bootable CD but it shouldn't stop you from installing a fresh copy of XP.  Peace!

(1) (Reply)

Help Me Out Please / Help! My System Goes Off Intermittently. / Yahoo Messenger That Open With Proxies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.