Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,840 members, 7,810,237 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:23 AM

Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? (3047 Views)

Vacancies For Able Body Security Men/women And Cleaners In A Firm In Lekki Lagos / Massive Recruitment For Cleaners In Lagos / Urgent Vacancies For Drivers and Cleaners In Ph (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by GoldCircle: 1:43pm On Sep 02, 2008
5 Graduates, 29 Others Seek Cleaning Jobs

Some 34 unemployed youths, including five graduates, yesterday applied as cleaners in the new Lagos House, Ikeja as Gov. Babatunde Fashola formally moved into the new office complex.
One of the unemployed graduates told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that he holds a Higher National Diploma from the Lagos State Polytechnic, Isolo.
``I read marketing and graduated in 2006, having carried out the NYSC programme in Abia from 2006 to 2007.
``Since then, I have been working at a car wash centre as an attendant, where I received a daily pittance.
``A friend told me that recruitment for cleaners was to hold here today, and I decided to try my luck, since it is a permanent job, and through it, I can rise to a higher status,'' he said.
The applicant added that he had never applied to the State Civil Service for any job placement.
Another applicant said he graduated from the Ambrose Alli University (AAU), Ekpoma, where he read Business Administration.
``I have been teaching in a private school, after my NYSC, and I felt this should be a better option, coming from government,'' he said.
The officer in charge of the recruitment told NAN that only 10 applicants out of the 34 applicants would be employed with effect from yesterday.
``The least salary we will pay them is N12,000,'' he said.
Meanwhile, Fashola resumed in his new office at the Lagos House, Ikeja  yesterday at 9.30 a.m., with his personal aides. His former Round House Office is now to be occupied by the Deputy Gov., Mrs Adebisi Sosan.
The new Lagos House, built by Arab Contractors, was inaugurated by former Gov. Bola Tinubu toward the end of his tenure in 2007.
The incumbent's movement was, however, delayed, because finishing touches had to be carried out on the building.

How una see am? I personally never thought this could happen in Nigeria.I used to think it could only happen abroad! Now I know!
Re: Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by Caliente(m): 2:54pm On Sep 02, 2008
[size=13pt]It further displays the many ugly faces of unemployment in Nigeria[/size]
Re: Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by Seun(m): 3:12pm On Sep 02, 2008
Every graduate did not finish with first class in a viable course. If this is the best job these graduates can find, then please let them do it with dignity. I don't see the problem. Someone has to do the cleaning, and maybe as graduates they will do a better job of cleaning than illiterates.
Re: Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by janami(f): 1:18pm On Sep 04, 2008
seun, that sounds harsh.

How many first class graduates have a job now?
Re: Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by SOJ(m): 3:08pm On Sep 04, 2008
Seun:

Every graduate did not finish with first class in a viable course. If this is the best job these graduates can find, then please let them do it with dignity. I don't see the problem. Someone has to do the cleaning, and maybe as graduates they will do a better job of cleaning than illiterates.

I find myself agreeing with u here; if wat these graduates can settle for is a janitorial job,then they probably shuld have it.
Re: Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by janami(f): 7:32pm On Sep 04, 2008
and govt no cover face with shame?
Re: Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by favcom(m): 12:06pm On Sep 05, 2008
Seun, I'd say that was rather too harsh!
These are graduates for goodness' sake!
If they could do that, what hope lies ahead?
Re: Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by chimanu2000(m): 5:10pm On Sep 05, 2008
i believe its rather immature and close minded to believe that your graduating class or others lack of it gives you a divine right to find better employment.
its that mindset that results in many people not reaching their potential
Re: Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by MrCrackles(m): 5:11pm On Sep 05, 2008
Na wa ooo!!
Re: Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by Seun(m): 8:30pm On Sep 05, 2008
i believe its rather immature and close minded to believe that your graduating class or others lack of it gives you a divine right to find better employment.
And I think it is immature and close-minded to believe that graduates cannot prosper in the cleaning business.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Sep 10, 2008
I even feel its quite immature to feel that because you are a graduate, you entitled to one juicy, delicious, well paying job. Are those who did not go to scholl shite?! Abegi, they are free to take what they feel. Nobody said life was easy but i'm saying because you went to school doesn't make it any easier

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by ud4u: 11:53am On Sep 11, 2008
Na waa for this naija. After school no job, sote na cleaning job person go collect, I fear ooo.
Well in Nigeria cleaning job does not wort a living but western countries people use it as means of lively hood.
Re: Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by SOJ(m): 12:33pm On Sep 11, 2008
og2711:

I even feel its quite immature to feel that because you are a graduate, you entitled to one juicy, delicious, well paying job. Are those who did not go to scholl shite?! Abegi, they are free to take what they feel. Nobody said life was easy but i'm saying because you went to school doesn't make it any easier

yup,,,u right there
Dis same "graduates" would leap at an opportunity to go abroad to take cleaning jobs of any kind (waste or janitorials) witout thinking twice;even the pple replying negatively to this thread.
Na wa for us all,,,,when will we begin to change our mindset
Re: Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by idupaul: 12:38pm On Sep 11, 2008
Those graduates know exactly why they have decided to take up cleaning jobs in govt house, its just a plan to expose their unemployment problems to the governor, knowing he will soon move them into the core civil service, ask urself why dem no go take cleaning job for eko hotel or the palms,
Re: Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by SOJ(m): 12:51pm On Sep 11, 2008
grin grin grin

dats witty!
Re: Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by janami(f): 7:36pm On Sep 11, 2008
. . . . . and i think it is rather immature and down right stupid to complete school and think cleanng is the best you can do with urself tongue
Re: Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by bechex(m): 7:48pm On Sep 11, 2008
All of una no get work, grin grin. Its funny to come to Nairaland once in a while and see the way u guys reason, everyone has his own opinion and wants to proove that he or she is right. i come to this site to laugh and u guys never dissapoint me.

I love nairaland where the job section is as funny as the joke section. lol grin grin grin
Re: Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by janami(f): 7:54pm On Sep 11, 2008
yes now, lafter is good for the body grin

But dont laugh at my opinion again angry
Re: Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by oleigh(m): 6:20pm On Sep 15, 2008
every thing na luck,i know some people wey get olevels and their salary na 35k,i just pray 4 these graduates make their time come.
Re: Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by ssRhino: 9:06pm On Sep 15, 2008
This is not big deal, there are medical doctors that finished schools in Nigeria and are driving cabs in USA and Canada, and even some that finished other courses in western world, a job is a job, if that is what they cld find to do, better to do it while they are looking for something else.
Re: Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by favcom(m): 1:20pm On Sep 18, 2008
@ Rhino
at least those ones went to do it abroad cool
and it wasn't street cleaning they do sad
Re: Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by manmustwac(m): 8:47pm On Sep 24, 2008
man get to survive, man must pay his bills, man must wack! grin
Re: Graduate Cleaners In Nigeria! Whats Your Take? by kokoye(m): 8:56pm On Sep 24, 2008
You cannot compare doing jobs like that in the western world (at least in the US) with doing them in Nigeria.   Cleaners in naija cannot even afford three square meals whereas in the US, you'll see cleaners and cab drivers buys houses, go to school and still take care of family at home.

The end justifies the means, but unforunately, Nigeria defies all odds, it is hard to get or make anything out of the cleaning jobs in Nigeria and people will always continue to look down on you and you'll always still be broke - noone cares what level of education you have in naija when ur broke and ur the one carrying their rubbish.  And it is this kind of oppression that make people start stealing to make ends meet.

So, it is not wrong to get any kind of job as long as ur not stealing - the problem is that Nigeria does not reward that kind of honesty and hardwork.

(1) (Reply)

Vacancy In A Construction Firm In Abuja / Job Vacancies At Galaxy Television For A Driver, / Free Mtn Airtime Randomly For Job Seekers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.